4,639 Reviews
 (2,614)

1,015 of 1,046 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars This headset is the closest to perfect I've used.
This headset is the closest to perfect I've used.

Features:

* Dedicated sliding on/off switch.
* Streaming of music, audio, podcasts, etc.
* Long battery life
* Noise and wind cancellation
* Voice notifications

Pros:
* Connects instantly to phone. No missed calls due to on/off delay.
* Small size.
*...
Published on September 20, 2011 by Toolman Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars excellent product with very poor range
The Goods - - this is a very intuitive product. easy operation. easy set up. it fits well and stays put. battery life is excellent.

Published on May 2, 2012 by B. Services

1,015 of 1,046 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars This headset is the closest to perfect I've used., September 20, 2011
This review is from: Plantronics M50 - Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This headset is the closest to perfect I've used.

Features:

* Dedicated sliding on/off switch.
* Streaming of music, audio, podcasts, etc.
* Long battery life
* Noise and wind cancellation
* Voice notifications

Pros:
* Connects instantly to phone. No missed calls due to on/off delay.
* Small size.
* Light weight.
* Loud, crisp, audio.
* Battery lasts a LONG time.
* Standard micro-USB charging jack.
* Can stream music or other audio from phone to headset. Great for listening to talk radio, podcasts, etc.
* Great Bluetooth range.

Cons:
* Single volume button rather than up/down volume.
* Noise cancellation not as effective as some other headsets.
* At max volume, it can crackle at times.

Review:
I have used about a dozen different Bluetooth headsets and this one is now my favorite. It's not perfect but it is the closest to perfect I've used. I've always been torn between the Moto and Plantronics brand headsets. The reason is the Moto headsets turn on instantly when you open the boom. They are also very comfortable. The problem is that the boom hinge breaks over time or if you put the headset in your pocket. Also, the battery life is okay but not great. Last, while the early Moto headsets had great voice quality, the newer ones are muffled sounding.

The Plantronics headsets get louder then other brands and they last. I have 4 different models and I've never had one of them break. They are rugged! Some aren't very comfortable though. Their battery lasts a very long time so I don't have to carry another charger when I travel for a day or two, which is good since Plantronics uses a proprietary charger. I always wondered why they don't use a standard mini or micro USB jack like everyone else. While I always liked Plantronics best, there was lots of room for improvement.

Enter the Plantronics M50. First, it has a slide switch for power. One of the most annoying things about most Bluetooth headsets is you must press and hold the power button for several seconds to power on the headset. By the time you do this, your call may be missed. This headset powers up instantly with the slide of the power switch. No delays and no missed calls. It is so small and light, you barely notice it is on your ear. It fits securely so I don't worry about it flying off my head if I bend down, turn my head quickly or I'm running to catch my flight. It gets plenty loud, which is a big complaint with other brand headsets. And, it uses a standard micro USB charging jack so I can charge it with my phone's charger. It includes a charger as well. The unit has 3 controls: a power on/off slider, a volume button and an answer/hang up button. It also has a status LED. The LED is red when charging, blue when talking, flashing red/blue for pairing and off when streaming audio. To pair the unit, turn it on, press and hold the answer button for a few seconds until the LED toggles red/blue and then follow your phone's pairing procedure.

When in operation, the headset gives you status messages through the earpiece so you aren't wondering if you turned it on or off, etc. When you switch the headset on, it speaks, "Power On, Battery High, Connected". When you switch it off; it says, "Power Off". The unit uses a single volume button that toggles between 3 volume settings. Each push toggles to the next setting high/med/low/med/high. With each push of the button, you hear a tone that gets louder or lower with the volume setting. When you reach maximum volume, the headset says, "Maximum Volume". As the battery gets weaker, the headset will give a voice prompt of "Battery Medium" and "Battery Low". At maximum volume, the audio did crackle sometimes but it was very loud so that is to be expected. While the headset only has 3 volume levels, you have finer volume control using the phones volume buttons.

The range of this headset is excellent. Most headset crackle if I have the headset on my right ear and the phone in my left front pocket. No cracking from this headset. While this headset claims to be noise and wind canceling, I didn't find the cancellation feature to be as effective as my Voyager 520. That said, the outgoing voice quality is excellent; crisp, clear and loud. Even with background noise present, my voice punched through.

Now for the best feature of all. This headset allows you to stream audio from the phone to the headset! You can listen to music, stream radio, podcasts or GPS directions directly to the headset. I have a radio app and a police scanner app on my Android phone and it is great to be able to listen privately through the headset. Don't expect high fidelity but it is fine for voice and okay for music if you are not too picky and don't care that it is not stereo. The LED is not illuminated when using the streaming function, so you do not attract unwanted attention. If the phone rings while you are listening, you get a tune in the earpiece as well as ringer or vibration on the phone. Just press the answer button and you can answer the phone. The streaming audio is silenced. This part isn't perfect and it caused a force close on one of my Droid apps. I'm not sure if that is a headset or app problem. It was a minor nuisance but the important thing is I was able to take my call. One note about the answer button... There is no visible button. You just press the outside surface of the headset where it meets you ear. It was easier than many headsets that have a protruding button.

This headset has a feature called "Multipoint" that lets you pair it with 2 phones and allows you to answer either phone. I have no use for that feature so I did not test it.

Conclusion:
This is a great little headset that combines all the features I want and need. It is small, light, loud and comfortable. It charges with my phone's charger and it streams audio. What's not to love?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality, comfortable fit, great battery life!, October 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have owned many bluetooth headsets over the years so here is my opinion of the Plantronics M50 in comparison. First of all this headset can stream music or podcasts from your smart phone which none of my previous headsets could do. It also has built-in noise reduction to reduce or eliminate background noise like wind, rain, traffic or music. It has voice alerts that tell you the battery level, volume level, talk time and more. It has a special battery meter that will show up on your screen if you have an iPhone.

This headset syncs easily on my Samsung Gravity Touch or PS3 if you happen to play video games online. The sound quality is good for an average priced headset. I don't have any problems with disconnects or voice transmission.

I have also owned other headsets that tend to want to move or feel like they are going to fall off. Not a problem with this one, it's held securely in place and is fairly comfortable.

I love the battery life on this headset and it will last me at least 8 hours of constant use. I usually stick with a Motorola headset because most of them also have good battery life. I have had many headsets that only last for about 4 hours and I didn't like that at all. You can get a lot of use out of this headset without constantly recharging it.

This headset will come with a wall charger and it's covered by a 1 year limited warranty. For the price I think this is one of the better headset options at the present time.

3.0 out of 5 stars excellent product with very poor range, May 2, 2012

The Bads - - really just one. the range. if i have the headset on my right ear, i can't put the phone in my left front pocket. it has to go in my right front pocket and I can't hold my arm next to it. no kidding. i live in AZ, so maybe the heat is an issue? that said - 90 degrees isn't really that bad yet.

I am not going to return it. I will keep it as my backup for heavy use days. I'll find another product with better range as my main unit. If you are using this product in your car it will be great for you.

Update: (Dec 11,2012)
To clarify my review. My comments were based on my outdoor use. Indoors the earpiece works well with a range of 30-40'. The phone is a Galaxy2s and I have not tried it on other phones. I still use the earpiece daily in the car and at my desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Experienced Bluetooth User, March 16, 2012
Everyone should own this bluetooth! I worked at a cellphone store for about three years, and I've probably used over 45 different bluetooths (Motorolla, Plantronics, Bose (too expensive), Jabra, Sony, etc). This Bluetooth is the best Bluetooth I've owned. It has an awesome stand-bye time. 11 hours of talk time, which is great (nobody spends more then 11 hours on their phone a day). Charge the bluetooth at night when you charge your phone, and you should never run out of battery. Although there are many pro's to this Bluetooth every item has a Con. I'll list them:

Pro's
-Long talk time
-Long Standbye Time
-You can listen to music (Many bluetooth's don't offer that)
-Clear sound, and very crisp
-Very loud, shouldn't have a problem hearing the other person
-Very responsive, the other person can hear you very well
-Look very professional, I've gotten lots of compliments wearing this bluetooth (Looks great on Men and Women)
-Charges very fast (about 1 hour for a full charge, if charged from empty)
-Talks to you, let's you know when the battery is low, if the bluetooth is connected, and when it is shutting off, or disconnecting.
-Very comfortable, I've gotten a lot of earaches with previous bluetooths, this one is a perfect fit. I forget I have it on sometimes
-Fits both ears
-Inexpensive, cost 30 bucks, but built very well. Great quality

Cons-
-When the volume is all the way up, it has a static noise. (very minimal, but can bother some people)
-Charging port is on top of the Bluetooth, sometimes the clip can get in the way when you are trying to charge it. No big deal, but charging port should of been on the bottom.

Overall, this bluetooth deserves a five star rating. The pro's outweigh the cons, and the cons are very small issues. I have had a few friends already purchase one, and they love it also. Don't hesitate to buy this item, you will love it. Plus it can save you a ticket, and safer to drive with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent noise-cancellation!, October 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Over the years I have used numerous Bluetooth headsets. As I write this review, this product is not yet available at the retail Amazon site but I was sent this for free to review. That's why I cannot comment about its price and compare its value with other headsets that I have used.

Pros:

One of the most important features that I want in a Bluetooth headset is noise cancellation. Almost 90% of the times when I am using a Bluetooth, I am also driving. So the first test for this headset was using it in extremely noisy and windy environment. I have to say I was extremely impressed by its performance. The only other Bluetooth headset that performed this good was my old (original) Jawbone. Between this and the Jawbone, I have gone through at least four different headsets but I kept going back to the Jawbone because of its performance in windy/noisy environment. After using this headset, I can finally retire my old Jawbone.

The second best feature that I liked about this headset is its ease of use. It is easy enough to put on and take off that I don't have to use two hands (especially for putting it on). It fits very well and its very comfortable for extended use.

Some of the other features I like are:
Long Battery: It's been running on standby for days on a single charge.
Slim design: I like the fact that it's not too bulky and I can easily put it in my pockets.
Bluetooth 3.0: Though I used it with my Motorola Atrix which only has Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, I like the fact that this has the latest Bluetooth standard which will be supported by newer devices. It paired with my phone within seconds. I also tried to pair it with my Windows 7 but my computer could not load the drivers for it. Though it detected the headset, my Windows PC kept prompting me to download the drivers for it. I couldn't locate any drivers manually. It also couldn't download the drivers automatically. This is perhaps because the product is not released so Windows 7 is unable to download its drivers. Ironically, my MacBook Air was able to pair with it as quickly as did my Motorola phone (i.e. within seconds).

Cons:

I do not like the fact that its earloop is made of plastic. I fear that, because it looks too fragile, it will eventually break. I have been putting it in my jeans front pockets and so far it's been okay. But I am not sure if the earloop is going to last long.

Even though, it fit my ear very well, I found it surprising that it didn't include any additional earbuds. Not all ears are the same, so some people may find the earbuds included to be too small for them.

Conclusion:

Overall, I really love this headset because of its superior noise-cancellation feature and its long battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 5th BT headset, January 9, 2012
I have went through various headsets. Presently I am rotating between a Jabra Wave and a Motorols HX-1. Both have superior reception, sound, and battery life. BUT, with me working in the field and receiving numerous calls I have to rotate ears as well. Not with the M50. When I first put it in my ear I was thinking the sound is going to stink. Mostly because it does not jam in your ear like my other 2. I have to remind myself to take it out and leave in the car. I usually realize it is still in when I change out of my work attire. The sound ingoing and outgoing is great. I have it paired with 2 phones. My work and personal and transfers between the 2 nicely. For the price it is an excellent accessory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pairs well with Skype, October 20, 2011
Reverie (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a cute BT headset that is very lightweight. It pairs very easily with Skype (as long as you have a BT adapter). The standby time is about 16 hr, and I've had a conversation lasting +5 hours straight on this thing with no problems. I've paired it with my computer and phone, and there have been no problems at all. The pairing is very easy.

One of the best features of the headset for me is that fact that it has a switch to turn off/on, and a voice will tell you when you've turned it off/on. This is waaaaay better than other BT where you have to double/triple press a button not knowing if you've turned it on or off.

I knocked off 1 star because the ear loop is made of thin plastic and it could very easily break. Once that loop breaks, there won't be a way for me to keep it secure to my ear. There are NO additional ear buds that come with it. What you receive is what you get. The ear buds fit me fine, but others might not feel that way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Bluetooth Earpiece I've Owned!, October 15, 2011
I bought this bluetooth earpiece to use with an iPhone 3Gs while on a business trip and have been very impressed! Setup was truly a snap, taking about a minute to complete by just following the directions included. Unlike many other earpieces I've owned, this one links up every time I turn it on without fail, and does so very quickly. The in ear voice prompts to let you know the status of the earpiece (charge, connection, etc.) are very nice and compliment the on screen battery life indicator. I used this earpiece with the MapQuest navigation app on my iPhone for directions and found that it worked very well for that also. Making calls was simple, and everyone I spoke to said the voice quality was excellent, even when I was driving on rough roads or working outside in a windy environment. The earpiece fully charges in under two hours, and holds its charge for a very long period of time. I have been using it intermittently for over a week now and have only charged it one time. Finally, putting it on and off is easy, and I found that this is the ONLY earpiece that I could comfortably wear for hours at a time without my ear becoming irritated! This is the primary reason I ditched many of my previous headsets (Jabra, Jawbone, etc. You may have to adjust it around a bit to find the optimal position for your ear, but once you do, it stays put and is very comfortable. Overall, this is an exceptional value for the money and I would recommend it to anyone in need of a good, basic bluetooth earpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely comfortable and stylish bluetooth with good call quality, November 14, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This bluetooth headset is a solid, everyday headset that performs well and is very comfortable.

*Call Quality

- Hearing others is generally very consistent and reliable. However, occasionally, the person I'm speaking with tells me that it's difficult hear me sometimes. Overall, I would say 8 out of 10 times the calls are clear and consistent for both ends of the phone call. There's always going to be some hiccups, but they are minimal.

**Design

- I really like that small, but fine details of this bluetooth headset! Sometimes it's the small things that separate certain products from the rest. The most noticeable is the plastic curve that hooks around the front part of the ear. As opposed to looping around the back of the ear, it loops around the front. I feel that this makes the experience infinitely better. You can change the loop piece so that you can wear it on either your left or right ear.

- The earpiece is covered with rubber and has a small piece that slighty curves into the ear. Again, it's not typical, but it fits my ear perfectly and it can stay comfortably in my ear for long periods of time.

- It's stylish with the shiny, chrome finish around the edge of the bluetooth, and a black mosaic style pattern on the side cover. Very cool.

- The volume (when bluetooth is worn on the right ear), is on the top, where you can easily change the volume. When you press the side and hold, you activate the voice detection. Pressing the side once will accept or end a phone call. Good, basic, and easy functionality.

***Voice Detection

- Although it's not perfect, it's very good. It gives you the option to adapt to your voice, which is very helpful. After letting it adjust to your voice, voice commands are usually accurate and spot on.

****Music Playback

- I wasn't expecting this, but it's definitely a nice luxury. Just play the song that's on your phone, and the bluetooth headset will play the desired song immediately. The quality is alright and a little bit airy. It's not quite as good as your normal mp3-style earphones, but with volume turned up, there is definitely some distinct bass.

Overall, a very good bluetooth headset, is comfortable, and can wear proudly in public.

4.0 out of 5 stars solid bluetooth device with cool features, best I've ever used, March 20, 2012
Pros

1) Very light device
2) sleek design
3) It talks!! Spoken battery level, connection status, volume level
4) very good noise cancellation. Callers hear me clearly, even with background noise
5) crystal clear sounding ear piece. I can hear caller clearly.
6) excellent price
7) fits snug in the ear
8) stream music from phone

Con
1) I feel a slight discomfort when wearing this device for an extended period of time (1 hr +)
It may be just the ridges in "my" ears ( - 1 star)

Overall its a great device. I recommend it

Update:

Oct/2012

Had to return the device because of echoing problems. Ppl on the other line complained. that they heard themselves echoing.

Amazon sent a replacement. The new unit is working perfectly.

Still highly recommend