Plantronics Voyager PRO UC - B230 (Standard)
Price:$99.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
I have owned this headset for a few months now. My primary purpose is to listen to podcasts and audiobooks on the iPhone (A2DP), but I also use it for conversations.

Overall, I find it is not nearly as bulky as I thought it would be. And the over-the-ear/in-the-ear style is pretty comfortable.

The sound quality is great, although I wish it were just a bit louder for podcasts. The conversation quality is good, with people being able to hear me even in loud, crowded locations; and me able to hear them well also. The wind screening feature works, but not as well as I would like.

The battery life is as advertised, about six hours of active listening; the charging speed is fine but slower than the iPhone 3GS.

The Bluetooth works well paired with the iPhone, iPad, and other devices; it can be paired with multiple devices at once, which generally works well, although I sometimes have trouble getting the iPhone to play through it after using the iPad, and always have to re-connect the iPad when I use it (I suspect this is because of the time-lapse or the distance). But I don't have to un-pair and re-pair, unlike other headsets I have used.

I love the ability to press both volume buttons together to pause/play the audio content (A2DP).

The fun new feature on this model is that it knows whether it is on your ear: It automatically pauses when the headset is removed, and resumes when you put it back on. (This doesn't work perfectly; it occasionally stops playing if you loosen it on your ear, and it occasionally doesn't stop playing when you take it off. And if you leave it off your ear for too long, it doesn't resume playing.)
The headset also answers the phone when put on, if the phone is ringing. And it cannot pocket-dial, because it knows that it is in your pocket (this has saved me many head-aches compared to my previous headset, which often redialed the last caller).

I cannot speak to the computer-interaction features, since I haven't tried them.

Overall, I am very pleased. I would prefer louder and more flawless ear-recognition, but it is still well worth it for me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2011
Verified Purchase
I lost my Plantronics Voyager PRO Bluetooth Headset by Plantronics and decided to replace it with the much acclaimed Plantronics 38885-01 Voyager PRO UC B230 (Standard).

Before the pro I had a Motorola 850 which you could open or close the tiny microphone boom and that would disconnect the Bluetooth from the phone. Convenient!! The basic Voyager PRO would not do that; you had to push on a button for a couple seconds and turn it off or you could disconnect it using an icon on the phone, otherwise it would stay connected to your phone. This upgraded version sounded like the answer. After all, it knows when it's on your ear and when it's not........as it turns out, not exactly.

First the good:

1 The sound quality is very very good; probably the best there is in a Bluetooth phone headset.
2 Although rather large, it is very comfortable.
3 The battery life is all day using it a lot (a lot = several 1 hour conversations per day).
4 The included case is a very nice holster with a sturdy clip for sliding the case on your belt, in your purse, in a camera bag. If you place the case on the outside of a bag, it may fall off; it's NOT secure. (The fate of my basic Voyager PRO)
5 The PRO UC's ability to suppress extraneous noise is EXCELLENT !!!! From water running in your sink, an espresso maker, an espresso bean grinder, the obnoxious sound of the beeper telling you you left the keys in your car....all dampened well. My gauge for this test? My fiancee who acts like she has just suffered permanent hearing damage if I tried to do any of the above before. Now says the sounds are barely audible and hardly annoying. YES !!!!!)

The not so good:

1 The enterprise software designed to allow you to modify factory settings installs easily but after 1 hour of trying I cannot get it to work. Although i'm fairly computer savvy, required for my job, even if I weren't you should not have to have a computer science degree to work it. (VISTA 64 bit)
2 The range of the unit from my HTC Incredible is less in my 1200 sq ft house than my basic Voyager Pro was. But, still good.
3 The reason I bought it was: Because the unit knew when it was on my ear and when it wasn't. Well, that turns out not to be completely true.
.... If you end a conversation, hang up and then take the PRO UC ear piece off your ear and place it in your purse/pocket/table, it doesn't understand that. It will remain connected. If you try to call using the phone or someone calls in, you will not be able to hear them on the phone because the PRO UC remains connected.
.... However, if you remove the Bluetooth from your ear DURING the conversation, the PRO UC DOES understand that and WILL disconnect. If you continue to talk on the phone and then place the PRO UC back on your ear it WILL reconnect. Again, the auto connect and disconnect only works if you are talking on the phone. If you are not talking on the phone, there is NO ongoing call, this auto feature of knowing whether it is on your ear or not, does NOT work for me. And I bought it for that feature.

Please look at the picture I have submitted as to what is in the box. No place in the Amazon/Plantronics specs., does it mention the inclusion of a case. The case does come with it; don't by the case unless you want two. As mentioned above, the case is an excellent design and well built.

I give the PRO UC three stars, because of it's failure to understand whether it is on my ear or not when I am not connected. This feature was the reason I bought it.
If you don't care about this feature.....it's a 5+ star in my opinion. Then why not just buy the Basic Voyager PRO? Because it doesn't have the fantastic noise suppression the PRO UC does.

UPDATE: 16 Feb 2012: I have really wanted to love this headset...for all its attributes, clear sound etc. But a nagging problem has been its lack of true understanding whether it is on my ear or not. At times shifting back and forth between audio through the headset and an uncommanded transfer back to the phone while I'm talking or the other person is. I have dealt with this problem on and off from the beginning. Tonight, however, it came to a head. I'm in traffic, on my bluetooth, talking to my boss. The bluetooth starts shifting or call between the phone and the bluetooth. My boss gets frustrated.....fearing a wreck I politely try to explain briefly my problem. He says, "Then get one that works!!!!" And hangs up. Ruh-roh !!!
Sadly, I'm looking for something else, tonight.
review image review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2010
Item Shape: Standard
It is the best thing on the market. It's not as tiny as some, but it is definitely the best. And I have tried almost all of them.

With others headsets, your voice quality sounds good to the ones you call, but you struggle to hear them, or it's the other way around. With this headset, your voice sounds crystal clear to the ones you call, and they sound great to you as well! I eliminates background noise better that the others as well, and it does it without reducing your voice to a level where it sounds muffled. And you will always make it through the day without running out of juice. And I talk A LOT!

The only downside is, is that over time, the headset tends to develop a split in the rubber at the point where the earpiece loops over the ear from the flexing that occurs when you place and remove the earpiece. It has happened to me twice. But Plantronics relpaced it right away.........no problem at all.
on August 8, 2011
Verified Purchase
I recently took a job that requires me to be on conference calls about 4-6 hours a day. I wanted a headset that could work with my computer, BlackBerry and android phone, and that was comfortable enough to wear all day. This headset fills the need perfectly. It was very easy to set up and pair with all my devices, and the various earpieces made it easy to find a snug fit. I like that as soon as you turn it on it tells you how much battery is left ("6 hours talk time remaining") and if you're on mute, it reminds you of that fact every once in a while. I regularly wear this headset all day long, at home and in the car and it's very comfortable and has good range if I want to start a load of laundry in the basement while the headset is connected to my computer on the first floor. :)

I'm very happy with this purchase and would highly recommend this to a friend.
on July 4, 2010
Item Shape: StandardVerified Purchase
Having used a Motorola and two previous Plantronics, this has the best quality by far! It's also very lightweight and comfortable to wear, capable of changing eartips to fit better. (Watch out where you get it, some packages don't come with the other size eartips ) I am definitely recommending this headset to anyone who wants high quality Bluetooth communication.
on April 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have spent a lot of time looking for and trying out headsets that a) have a very good sound quality, sufficient for speech recognition, b)have a great noise cancellation that permits to have phone calls in noisy environments without disturbing a conference call to much, c) are compact and wireless. This one is a clear winner on all counts. If you're into fancy, tiny Bluetooth headsets, I'm sure you find it clunky. If you, like me, have lived several years with theBoom, another excellent headset which unfortunately is both wired and very clunky, you will be thrilled. The sound quality when connected to the PC is fantastic (well, I don't use it for music, just for speech), as well as on the Bluetooth phone. I really couldn't even notice a difference in sound quality between standard bluetooth and the BT300 USB adapter that makes the PC or Mac think it's talking to a USB headset. Very happy after about six hours of continuous use. Excellent results both with Naturally Speaking (PC) and Dragon Dictate (Mac).

A few notes:
1) I'm not making any use of the motion sensor since I am absolutely convinced it would drive me crazy -- I turned it off right away. Please refer to other reviews for that.
2) As other reviewers said: it comes with a fairly nice case that even has a nice little place for the USB adapter -- I would wait with purchasing a case until you lose this one!
on August 3, 2010
Item Shape: Standard
With much anticipation, I tried the Jawbone Icon, eager to believe some of the rave reviews it has had. What a disappointment. The earhook is so flimsy that it came apart in the first 10 minutes. I had not opted to use the earbud only (don't trust those - always scared it will come out of my ear) - and although I tried two different size buds as well as the earhook, it was so loose that if I shook my head even slightly, it came out. The call sound was average - nothing to write home about, but after 30 minutes of having to constantly keep pushing it back into my ear and reattach the ear hook, I took it off and returned it. WASTE OF TIME. I then bought the Plantronics Voyager Pro and have to say that for stability, it is rock solid- it stays on my ear very well, stays in place, and the sound is like no other bluetooth I have had - even when driving, it has loud, good, clear sound and people that I ask say they hear me very clearly and loudly. The microphone is quite a bit longer than the other bluetooth headsets out there and it actually looks like a microphone - some people may think this is a bit old fashioned but I love it - it brings the mic closer to my mouth so when I speak, I sound MUCH better - This one is a KEEPER.
on January 9, 2011
Item Shape: StandardVerified Purchase
Just got the headset today and it seems to work fine, right out of the packaging. My only issue is that it was advertised to come with three soft gel eartips and two foam eartip covers, and these items were not in the package. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with an Amazon order. I will try to get the seller to make good on the offer and send me the rest of the merchandise.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 28, 2011
Verified Purchase
I've tried several different headsets (both wired and bluetooth) and this is by far the best headset that I have ever used. It works great with my iPhone, and also works with Skype on my workstation. While Skype usually has pretty crappy hardware support that results in crappy audio/video quality, this is the first headset that I've had that actually makes Skype usable.

Since it has a boom mike instead of using bone induction from your ear, F's, H's, P's, and S's can be heard and understood by the person(s) listening to you, whereas with bone induction the person they can't hear those sounds. When connecting to the PC you must use the USB Bluetooth receiver that comes with the headset, as the software will not work with any other receiver.

I am very happy with this headset.
on March 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
This unit has far exceeded my expectations. I purchased it to use with Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium 11.5 (Bluetooth wireless)on my Dell 8300 computer and it works flawlessly. I might add that it even works superbly with my Samsung Galaxy S II. I also have a Bose Bluetooth unit that worked well with my I-phone, but the volume was very poor when connected to the Samsung (and my Motorola Xoom) I do not know if this is due to the open architecture of the Android OS, but that is irrelevent now since switching to the Plantronics.

The Plantronics works as well or better than the hardwired headset that came with the Dragon software package. I have not experienced any dropped or static laden calls when using the Plantronics Voyager. The battery life is well above my expectations and I am on the phone in excess of 650 minutes a month. Thus far this unit has met my every need and works supprisingly well. I will return to Plantronics should this unit ever fail.

As is usually the case with Amazon, the delivery was very quick, the unit was well packaged and arrived without blemish.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations