Published on September 24, 2011 by Jerry Saperstein

2.0 out of 5 stars Unpleasant audio; incomplete automatic behavior
I purchased this headset from a local store, not from Amazon, because I needed it immediately. But, I read the reviews here and I had high hopes that it would be a great headset for me.

Unfortunately, while the headset has several innovative features and is comfortable and well made, two issues have caused me to return it.

I should start by saying...
Published on December 8, 2011 by M. Kobb

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick design, lightweight, solid noise cancellation and easy listening, September 24, 2011
This review is from: Plantronics Voyager Pro HD - Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In our era, the collection of matchbook covers from a thousand restaurants and bars has been superseded by the gaggle of abandoned and unloved Bluetooth headsets. My Plantronics Voyager 510, though, has seen a lot of Bluetooth headsets come and go in its time. For some reason, the 510 has remained my most often used BT headset, despite its very weird power adapter connector.

But the Plantronics Voyager Pro HD may be the new kid on the block and quickly become my go-to Bluetooth headset.

The Pro HD is a beautiful piece of design. It weighs practically nothing and the housing is perfectly designed to slip over and balance on your upper ear. I've worn it for several days now and, with one exception, have almost forgotten it was there. The exception is when I put on or take off my glasses - that requires some maneuvering simply because there isn't that much room between my skull and my ear. So I have to make sure everything is arranged just right.

Plantronics has winnowed down buttons and functions to arrive at an efficient and minimalist three buttons. The Power Button has three functions: 1) power on or off, 2) battery voice level alerts and 3) pairing activation. This last, after so many headsets that force me to remember arcane combinations of two buttons, is a blessing. Hold the power button down until the LED flashes red/blue and you're good to go.

The Volume/Mute Buttons also have three functions: 1) adjust volume level, 2) mute the mic (with a 1 second press of volume + and buttons) and 3) pause/play streaming audio. These buttons are generously sized and rise just a bit above the surface of the case for quick and sure operation.

Finally the Call Button allows you take or end a call, redial, initiate voice dial (if your phone supports it) and reconnect lost connections between the headset and device.

Set-up is dirt simple: hold the power button down for a couple of seconds until the LED flashes red/blue and pair I with your device. I paired it with my Lenovo laptop and Motorola Photon 4G phone in just a few seconds without hassle. The headset will support two device connection profiles.

The Voyager Pro HD is capable of A2DP so you can steam music, podcasts, GPS announcements and the like from a suitably equipped phone or other device. Remember, though, that not all phones and computers support A2DP. Mine do and the unit performed well with Pandora and other streaming audio. Volume could be higher but, frankly, if my hearing were better I probably wouldn't complaining. The headset, by the way, ships with a medium eartip installed and small and large ones in the box. I'm going to try the small eartip to see if I can get a better seal to block extraneous noise.

The microphone is supposed to be noise-cancelling and my tests to date indicate that it does a pretty good job. I tested it with a few online recording services, dictating to Audacity sound editing software and in chatting with people. The humans reported they could hear me clearly and I was, frankly, surprised by the clarity of my voice on the recordings. At some point, I will test it with Dragon Naturally Speaking to see how it works with voice recognition software.

The Voyager Pro HD has sensors and can recognize when the headset is being worn. This is pretty neat stuff. You don't have to keep the headset on your ear all the time. Leave it off and when you put it on to take a call, the headset turns on. Very neat! Likewise, if you leave the headset off and there is an incoming call, the headset will route the call to the phone.

As with many headsets, an incoming call stops audio streaming.

Battery life is excellent, in excess of four hours talk time and I don't know how long it will actually last in standby. Charging is via a standard microUSB port. Plantronics includes an AC adapter and a separate USB cable. Nice of them.

A one-year basic subscription to Dial2Do is included, under the Plantronics Vocalyst branding. Dial2Do is an interesting service allowing you to leave reminders, send and listen to emails and texts - if you pay for an upgraded subscription, post to Twitter and Facebook, connect to EverNote and a little more. It is a pricey service, so check it out thoroughly before you become too enamored of it.

Overall, this is a beautiful Bluetooth headset, not only in terms of the sleek and smooth design, but in the feature set as well. From the simple three-button operation to the excellent noise-cancelling microphone and the pretty good audio output. My favorite feature, though, is the weight and fit of the unit. I can put it on and wear it for hours without any discomfort. That, to me, is very, very cool.

Jerry

2.0 out of 5 stars Unpleasant audio; incomplete automatic behavior, December 8, 2011

I should start by saying that I used the headset with the iPhone 4S.

First, the good. The headset is comfortable and easy to put on and take off, although the large piece that goes behind the ear is difficult to put on while wearing my Oakley M-frame sunglasses (I have to move the temple on the glasses, put on the headset, then put the glasses back in place). People I called reported that the audio quality was very good. I like that the unit has real volume buttons and a real "answer" button. I like that it shows battery level on the iPhone's screen. I like that when you turn the headset on, if it's on your ear, you hear it report the expected talk time remaining via speech. Bluetooth reception was adequate.

The proximity sensor is a great idea, and some aspects worked well. I *really* liked being able to answer a call or switch to the headset just by putting it on my ear. I will miss this feature a lot! On other headsets, I've had problems where I have been speaking on the handset, and I happen to walk through a room where my Bluetooth headset is sitting. When the headset comes into range, the call switches to the headset, and mayhem ensues. This headset won't do that, because it "knows" that it's not on your ear.

Now, the issues.

First, the audio is, in my opinion, trying too hard to be "HD". It sounds to me as if there is a substantial treble boost applied, so when listening to speech (either on the phone or via A2DP on a podcast), sibilant sounds like "S" are over emphasized and actually a bit painful to have blasted right into the ear. I think the audio would also benefit from some applied dynamic range compression, particularly on phone calls. When driving, if I turn the headset up loud enough to reliably hear the other party, those sibilant sounds are excruciating. And, when the other party happens to shift their own telephone so that their voice gets a bit louder, you really get blasted. Reducing the dynamic range would be entirely appropriate for telephone audio.

Second, despite the great aspects of the proximity sensing feature, it is a bit unreliable, and also not well implemented for A2DP. I had several occasions where putting the headset down on a table caused the proximity sensors to believe that it was on my ear, and this caused paused audio from the iPhone to resume playing -- through the headset I'm not wearing. Result: lost place in my podcast. More bothersome, it continues to accept A2DP audio even when it knows that it's not on your ear. On the iPhone, this means that all iPhone audio signals like text alerts, key clicks, sound effects, etc, are sent to the headset sitting on the desktop, instead of coming out the iPhone's speakers as they should. This really completely defeats the purpose of the proximity sensor, and makes the only viable option turning the headset off completely when it's not in use (so you lose the proximity-based answering feature as well).

I hope Plantronics may address these shortcomings in the future, or perhaps another manufacturer may implement a sensing feature. I will truly miss the parts of this headset that worked well, but I can't risk damaging my hearing with the blasting treble, and I'm tired of missing text alerts on my phone because the audio is not routed properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great audio and mic quality and features, wish it was a bit more comfy & came with a case, September 21, 2011
T. Tom (SF Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 7:14 Mins

Please watch my video review of this Bluetooth headset.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - Received a Knockoff, July 21, 2013
Ed (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
My wife has this headset(ordered from Amazon) so I decided to get the same one. Got the headset July 18, 2013 and few days later on July 20, 2013 charged it up and paired it with the iPhone and it showed up on the iPhone as Plantronics "Vavoger." Thought this was odd that there would be a typo as this model has been out for while. Compared it to my wife's headset and there were significant differences in both appearance and performance. Looked at the recent reviews on Amazon, others have reported the same problem recently. Decided to write the review to inform others of this problem as I have seen other recent reviews of the headset reporting problems with the headset which I suspect is due to them not receiving the authentic item. Here are the differences:

1. spelling error - the headset when paired will show up as "vayoger" vs "voyager"

2. Grill on the mike has larger holes on the fake - see picture on website for what the real mike grill looks like.

3. The word "PLANTRONICS" on the headset is in all capital on the fake and is in all lowercase in the real - again see the picture of the website.

4. Low volume on the fake - you have run the volume control close to maximum which is not the case for the real one

5. Missing the "lady's voice" and you get beeps instead - the real one has a lady's voice telling you when it is turned on and off and gives the battery life when turned on the fake one just beeps

6. Audio quality - this is of course not detectable unless you have a real one to compare but the audio quality is very different

Finally the one star is about the knockoff. The real product is actually very good and would rate that a five star. Finally I contacted Amazon and they are sending me another one(hopefully the real one but I will let you know) and shipping it one-day shipping for free so I should get it by July 23, 2013 and I have the mailing label to send the fake one back at their expense so that is as best as I could hope for so no complaints about how this was dealt with by Amazon.

One thing I would do differently the next time is look at recent reviews before ordering. This product does have a high rating on average but the recent reviews have been low the problems pointed out in these recent reviews indicate that they also received a knockoff. I will take it to mean a recent delivery that Amazon received was the problem. Generally I prefer to order from Amazon vs a third party seller on Amazon because of faster delivery and to ensure that I get the authentic product. Amazon did fail as the knockoff had clear external features such as the mike grill and the typeface that should have made it clear by a visual inspection that it was a fake. The picture on their website is what the real one looks like and while the differences were few they were not subtle differences. Probably will stick with Amazon as this does not seem to happen too often and they have always made things right. Certainly much better than ordering on eBay where I assume it is a fake.

Additional information 7/24/13 Received the replacement yesterday and it is the genuine part. Checking the order/invoice it was through "Bluerigger" so it actually was not directly from Amazon. So things are good now but nevertheless they did send a fake product originally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a washing and keeps on talking!, January 20, 2012
MKL (Brooklyn Park, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I have used Plantronics for long time. I've tried other manufacturer's headsets and was never very happy with them, so I always went back to Plantronics. I got a new Smart Phone and looked on CNet and found this headset got good reviews from them. I've enjoyed the product and people I've talked to commented how nice and clear it is. I'm still getting used to the various features, but I really only care that it works when I want it to. The feature where it knows if it's on your head is really nice since I'd set my headsets down and walk to another room without it, etc. Well, today was a first. I was doing laundry and as I was pulling clothes out of the washer to throw into the dryer, there was my Plantronics Voyager PRO HD! I must have put it in a pocket and threw it in the wash. After a few choice words, I thought I'd see if it still worked. Having lost a phone to a sink with water in it, I really didn't hold out much hope. And much to my shocked surprise, I was met with a fully functioning, and squeaky clean, headset! Way to go, Plantronics!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plantronics Voyager HD Pro, February 6, 2012
I recently purchased the Plantronics Voyager PRO HD. Prior to my purchase I researched the PRO HD through other electronics review's websites and written periodicals. Most of the commentary was positive and the people that reviewed the PRO HD gave good reviews about the long battery life and clear voice calls. What sealed the deal from me was talking people in passing who spoke highly of the device and strongly recommended it. I took a leap of faith after using two other bluetooth earpieces one being the Jawbone Icon and the Jabra Stone. while using them too many people complained about not being able to understand me, I loved the way the Jabra Stone fit in my ear although the short (two hour) battery talk time was a complete turn off. The Jawbone Icon just wouldn't fit properly in my ear at all. Although I was put off by how large the HD PRO was initially, it grew on me immediately after using it. My calls were clear, respondents on the other end could hear me clearly, and as mentioned I loved the six hour battery life. I highly recommend this product for anyone who doesn't mind the awkwardness of the design but will enjoy the clearness and the ease of use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bose Bluetooth Series 2 vs. Plantronics Voyager PRO HD vs. Motorola ELITE Silver vs. Motorola FLIP, March 2, 2012

Cost:
1. FLIP: $60-$75
2. Elite Silver: $80-$100
3. Plantronics HD: $75-$100
4. Bose: Hard to find for less than $130-$150 (check fleabay or your cell provider)
Conclusion: Elite Silver has been dropping in price rapidly. Bose is hard to find discounted.

Ease of use:
1. FLIP: Open it up, it's on, close the flap, it's off. Great for saving battery power.
2. Elite Silver: Turn the ear piece, it's on, turn back, it's off. A little tricky, as sometimes not sure which direction to turn it.
3. Bose: Switch to turn on and off. Answers quickly. Hard to put it on ear quickly. Buttons a little non-intuitive.
4. Plantronics: Hold button down to turn on and off. Has 4 seconds ever felt so long?
Conclusion: Why o why don't more companies adopt the Motorola flip design. I love having a headset that I can sit down next to me, and then when someone calls, pick it up, put it on easily. AND save battery power. Who wants to charge a headset every day?

Features:
1. Flip: Super easy to turn on and off. Best design ever.
2. Elite Silver comes with cool storage case that doubles as a recharger for up to 3 charges. Tells you battery life left over when you put on.
3. Bose: Easy on and off switch (why don't more companies go back to switches)?
4. Plantronics automatically answers the phone when you put it on your ear. However, it doesn't turn it on and off when you do this, so no battery savings. Also tells you how much battery left when you put on.
Conclusion: Love the storage case on the Elite Silver that doubles as a charging station. Love the switch on the BOSE for on/off. But nothing beats the Motorola flip boom mikes for ease/battery savings.

Comfort:
1. Elite Silver: Is lightweight, fit comfortably on ear. Once you figure it out, goes on quick and secure.
2. Bose: Has unique inside earpiece that seems like it won't work, but does.
3. Plantronics: I like the heaviness of this item and love the boom mike (surprisingly, the boom mike didn't help sound quality).
4. Elite Flip: I'm not a big fan of the small string earpieces. It felt lightweight and fragile and non-secure.
Conclusion: I like the secure feel of the Plantronics. It's heavy, locks in on the ear, quick to put on and off, but the boom mike adds little to the sound quality.

Sound Quality: This is a tough category as always. I use mine in the car (road noise) and have a larger head (harder for mike to pick up sounds around my cheeks). Your experience may differ depending on your signal, location, face shape, and usage.
1. Bose: By far the most clear. Loud volume. People could hear me. I could hear them.
2. Plantronics: People could make out my voice (when driving) if I spoke very slowly and carefully. Boom mike did not seem to help.
3. ELITE Silver: I loved the sound of this, but people could not hear me when I spoke. My cheeks too big? The mike too far from my mouth?
4. Elite Flip: Didn't test this one as much, but people struggled to hear me.

Conclusion (ALL). I wish the Elite Silver had better sound quality when driving, because I liked most of the features. If I could design a perfect headset, it would have the flip boom mike of the FLIP. Have the comfort and charging features of the ELITE SLIVER. Have the sound quality of the BOSE. And the easy/on and off of the Plantronics.

Final Assessment:
Bose: Best sound quality. Great fit. Expensive.
Plantronics: Rugged design, nice boom mike. Not good enough vocal quality. Annoying on/off.
Motorola Elite Silver: Great innovations, great comfort. Need to work on their sound quality.
Motorola Flip: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the flip mike. Very lightweight (pro or con?), unsecure, not good enough sound quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound - Read here for helpful hint, April 11, 2012
The sound coming in is great and balanced. The sound going out has fooled some callers into thinking that I was at home and not in the car.
The recognition of being worn works very well, and not having the phone be connected to the headset when it is nearby in the car in the garage is terrific.
The bad news is the awful manual that is just the basics. Say you listen to audio such as streaming or local tunes through the headphone jack connected to your car stereo while using the headset for calls.
By default, the headset takes over ALL audio: calls, streaming, and the local mp3's you have stored on the phone. The manual says NOTHING about controlling this. It says go to the Web site if you need more information than what it provides. Nothing there, either. It is ridiculous that I had call to customer service to learn how to do it: Turn the headset off. Connect it to your computer. Go to the Website>Support>Downloads>Personal>Get Started>Headset Updates>Learn More> Launch Now
Eventually you will be offered a choice via a Web script to update your firmware and to disable the total audio takeover.
Deduct one star for this very dumb way to set up your headset. I consider myself an advanced user, and this is the first time in I do not know how long I had to call customer service for anything other than a return.
Bottom line, the headset is such a good performer that this truly insane lack of documentation can be overlooked once this outstanding device is up and running to your preferences.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and battery life, watch out for the sensor, February 21, 2012
I bought the Voyager Pro HD for use with my iPhone 4s. The sound quality and battery life are excellent. Make sure you try a couple of the earpieces to get the best fit, because this is important to sound quality, comfort, and apparently reliable operation of the sensor.

In my experience, the sensor is very reliable at detecting when the headset is off my ear, but also makes the mistake of assuming the headset is off my ear way too often. If you go to the support site, you will find that holding the headset by the mic end for several seconds (off your ear) is a simple way to recalibrate the sensor.

On the iPhone 4s, the symptoms of sensor error (which they don't tell you in the manual or on a support call) are:
1. Siri doesn't respond to a 2 second press of the Call button
2. The iPhone uses its internal speaker for audio on calls rather than the headset even though the headset is shown as connected
3. While playing music, the sound cuts in and out as you walk or turn your head

I hope that Plantronics will address this issue with a software rev. At minimum, it would be nice if there was a button press or combination that would force the headset to assume it is on your ear.

Meantime, I like this headset but was very frustrated at having to diagnose this issue myself. I hope this review prevents others from going through that frustration.

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect - until it died, February 3, 2012
The Plantronics Voyager Pro HD is comfortable, the sound is great, controls work well, mic and noise cancellation excellent, battery life good, bluetooth connection to my iPhone good. All was good.

UNTIL IT DIED AFTER ONLY 60 DAYS!

No power. Doesn't respond to charging. Dead.

Too late to return it to Amazon. Plantronics support closed nights and weekends. Have to wait to see how they handle this.

I have always used Plantronics products, and have 3 I currently use all the time. They work well (almost always), and are usually well built.

Hoping customer service will replace this with no headaches.

ARRAY(0xacf1cd8c)