Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on May 17, 2010
I am a big time lover of plantronics microphones and bluetooth headsets. I bought this one because I live in a very windy area and have always had an issue with microphones in the wind and people not being able to hear me. The voyager pro does all that it claims, I get crisp clear audio on both sides in the most noisy environments. sometimes gets a bit garbled, but compared to any other headset it's top notch.

My beef with this particular headset was durability. My voyager 510 lasted me 2 years before the rubber literally gave out. With this one however, I had it literally 2 months before the headset broke at where it swivels. In the informational videos at plantronics they claim to have tested this and I can't see how it would survive given the location of one of the splits in the neck. It broke so easily it surprises me it lasted this long. I will not be buying another or if I do, I'll be re-inforcing that particular area prior to useage.

My other beef with this was not directly with the headset, but with plantronics. If you do not get your headset from an authorized plantronics retailer, they WILL NOT honor the warranty. This in the world of internet sales is just unacceptable to me. There are tons of places where you can buy this headset NEW yet plantronics won't honor the warranty and unless you have a aftermarket warranty like squaretrade, your SOL if your headset breaks.
44 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In our era, the collection of matchbook covers from a thousand restaurants and bars has been superseded by the gaggle of abandoned and unloved Bluetooth headsets. My Plantronics Voyager 510, though, has seen a lot of Bluetooth headsets come and go in its time. For some reason, the 510 has remained my most often used BT headset, despite its very weird power adapter connector.

But the Plantronics Voyager Pro HD may be the new kid on the block and quickly become my go-to Bluetooth headset.

The Pro HD is a beautiful piece of design. It weighs practically nothing and the housing is perfectly designed to slip over and balance on your upper ear. I've worn it for several days now and, with one exception, have almost forgotten it was there. The exception is when I put on or take off my glasses - that requires some maneuvering simply because there isn't that much room between my skull and my ear. So I have to make sure everything is arranged just right.

Plantronics has winnowed down buttons and functions to arrive at an efficient and minimalist three buttons. The Power Button has three functions: 1) power on or off, 2) battery voice level alerts and 3) pairing activation. This last, after so many headsets that force me to remember arcane combinations of two buttons, is a blessing. Hold the power button down until the LED flashes red/blue and you're good to go.

The Volume/Mute Buttons also have three functions: 1) adjust volume level, 2) mute the mic (with a 1 second press of volume + and buttons) and 3) pause/play streaming audio. These buttons are generously sized and rise just a bit above the surface of the case for quick and sure operation.

Finally the Call Button allows you take or end a call, redial, initiate voice dial (if your phone supports it) and reconnect lost connections between the headset and device.

Set-up is dirt simple: hold the power button down for a couple of seconds until the LED flashes red/blue and pair I with your device. I paired it with my Lenovo laptop and Motorola Photon 4G phone in just a few seconds without hassle. The headset will support two device connection profiles.

The Voyager Pro HD is capable of A2DP so you can steam music, podcasts, GPS announcements and the like from a suitably equipped phone or other device. Remember, though, that not all phones and computers support A2DP. Mine do and the unit performed well with Pandora and other streaming audio. Volume could be higher but, frankly, if my hearing were better I probably wouldn't complaining. The headset, by the way, ships with a medium eartip installed and small and large ones in the box. I'm going to try the small eartip to see if I can get a better seal to block extraneous noise.

The microphone is supposed to be noise-cancelling and my tests to date indicate that it does a pretty good job. I tested it with a few online recording services, dictating to Audacity sound editing software and in chatting with people. The humans reported they could hear me clearly and I was, frankly, surprised by the clarity of my voice on the recordings. At some point, I will test it with Dragon Naturally Speaking to see how it works with voice recognition software.

The Voyager Pro HD has sensors and can recognize when the headset is being worn. This is pretty neat stuff. You don't have to keep the headset on your ear all the time. Leave it off and when you put it on to take a call, the headset turns on. Very neat! Likewise, if you leave the headset off and there is an incoming call, the headset will route the call to the phone.

As with many headsets, an incoming call stops audio streaming.

Battery life is excellent, in excess of four hours talk time and I don't know how long it will actually last in standby. Charging is via a standard microUSB port. Plantronics includes an AC adapter and a separate USB cable. Nice of them.

A one-year basic subscription to Dial2Do is included, under the Plantronics Vocalyst branding. Dial2Do is an interesting service allowing you to leave reminders, send and listen to emails and texts - if you pay for an upgraded subscription, post to Twitter and Facebook, connect to EverNote and a little more. It is a pricey service, so check it out thoroughly before you become too enamored of it.

Overall, this is a beautiful Bluetooth headset, not only in terms of the sleek and smooth design, but in the feature set as well. From the simple three-button operation to the excellent noise-cancelling microphone and the pretty good audio output. My favorite feature, though, is the weight and fit of the unit. I can put it on and wear it for hours without any discomfort. That, to me, is very, very cool.

Jerry
66 comments|318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2011
I purchased this headset from a local store, not from Amazon, because I needed it immediately. But, I read the reviews here and I had high hopes that it would be a great headset for me.

Unfortunately, while the headset has several innovative features and is comfortable and well made, two issues have caused me to return it.

I should start by saying that I used the headset with the iPhone 4S.

First, the good. The headset is comfortable and easy to put on and take off, although the large piece that goes behind the ear is difficult to put on while wearing my Oakley M-frame sunglasses (I have to move the temple on the glasses, put on the headset, then put the glasses back in place). People I called reported that the audio quality was very good. I like that the unit has real volume buttons and a real "answer" button. I like that it shows battery level on the iPhone's screen. I like that when you turn the headset on, if it's on your ear, you hear it report the expected talk time remaining via speech. Bluetooth reception was adequate.

The proximity sensor is a great idea, and some aspects worked well. I *really* liked being able to answer a call or switch to the headset just by putting it on my ear. I will miss this feature a lot! On other headsets, I've had problems where I have been speaking on the handset, and I happen to walk through a room where my Bluetooth headset is sitting. When the headset comes into range, the call switches to the headset, and mayhem ensues. This headset won't do that, because it "knows" that it's not on your ear.

Now, the issues.

First, the audio is, in my opinion, trying too hard to be "HD". It sounds to me as if there is a substantial treble boost applied, so when listening to speech (either on the phone or via A2DP on a podcast), sibilant sounds like "S" are over emphasized and actually a bit painful to have blasted right into the ear. I think the audio would also benefit from some applied dynamic range compression, particularly on phone calls. When driving, if I turn the headset up loud enough to reliably hear the other party, those sibilant sounds are excruciating. And, when the other party happens to shift their own telephone so that their voice gets a bit louder, you really get blasted. Reducing the dynamic range would be entirely appropriate for telephone audio.

Second, despite the great aspects of the proximity sensing feature, it is a bit unreliable, and also not well implemented for A2DP. I had several occasions where putting the headset down on a table caused the proximity sensors to believe that it was on my ear, and this caused paused audio from the iPhone to resume playing -- through the headset I'm not wearing. Result: lost place in my podcast. More bothersome, it continues to accept A2DP audio even when it knows that it's not on your ear. On the iPhone, this means that all iPhone audio signals like text alerts, key clicks, sound effects, etc, are sent to the headset sitting on the desktop, instead of coming out the iPhone's speakers as they should. This really completely defeats the purpose of the proximity sensor, and makes the only viable option turning the headset off completely when it's not in use (so you lose the proximity-based answering feature as well).

I hope Plantronics may address these shortcomings in the future, or perhaps another manufacturer may implement a sensing feature. I will truly miss the parts of this headset that worked well, but I can't risk damaging my hearing with the blasting treble, and I'm tired of missing text alerts on my phone because the audio is not routed properly.
1818 comments|348 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2013
DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER! Sends out incorrect model (Pro+) and continues to claim that they are one and the same! NOT!

**Pro+ operates on Version 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR). The Pro+ is also Black & Silver

**PRO HD model operates on Bluetooth Version v3.0, Is SOLID BLACK with a red stripe down the inside of the microphone boom; has Smart Sensor Technology: Senses if it is being worn so it can: -Send calls to your mobile phone or your headset -Pause streaming audio when headset is taken off ear -Lock the call button to avoid accidental re-dialing; Multipoint Technology Use one headset to answer calls from either of two paired Bluetooth-enabled phones. Plus alot more.

There IS a total of 5 emails to him to try and educate him and resolve this. His only response was that it was the "same as the PRO HD"...he claims to have verified this thru Plantronics. LOL..so did I (twice to be sure) and was told that they were of course NOT the same. As a matter of fact, the PRO+ is no longer being produced by them and is discontinued as the PRO HD and newest Legend are the ones most popular atm. Additionally, you can even pull up spec sheets at Plantronics web-site on the PRO+ & PRO HD and compare them side by side and see they are not the same.

The only recourse he continually repeated that is if I was not happy I could return for a full refund. Of course, I would have to pay for the return shipping. That isn't the way it works when a seller has deliberately sent out the wrong product and won't admit it or even change his listing to reflect the PRO+ version.

DO BUSINESS WITH THIS VENDOR IF YOU ENJOY ALOT OF GRIEF AND AGGRAVATION.
on February 6, 2012
I recently purchased the Plantronics Voyager PRO HD. Prior to my purchase I researched the PRO HD through other electronics review's websites and written periodicals. Most of the commentary was positive and the people that reviewed the PRO HD gave good reviews about the long battery life and clear voice calls. What sealed the deal from me was talking people in passing who spoke highly of the device and strongly recommended it. I took a leap of faith after using two other bluetooth earpieces one being the Jawbone Icon and the Jabra Stone. while using them too many people complained about not being able to understand me, I loved the way the Jabra Stone fit in my ear although the short (two hour) battery talk time was a complete turn off. The Jawbone Icon just wouldn't fit properly in my ear at all. Although I was put off by how large the HD PRO was initially, it grew on me immediately after using it. My calls were clear, respondents on the other end could hear me clearly, and as mentioned I loved the six hour battery life. I highly recommend this product for anyone who doesn't mind the awkwardness of the design but will enjoy the clearness and the ease of use.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Please watch my video review of this Bluetooth headset.
1111 comments|231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
I have used Plantronics for long time. I've tried other manufacturer's headsets and was never very happy with them, so I always went back to Plantronics. I got a new Smart Phone and looked on CNet and found this headset got good reviews from them. I've enjoyed the product and people I've talked to commented how nice and clear it is. I'm still getting used to the various features, but I really only care that it works when I want it to. The feature where it knows if it's on your head is really nice since I'd set my headsets down and walk to another room without it, etc. Well, today was a first. I was doing laundry and as I was pulling clothes out of the washer to throw into the dryer, there was my Plantronics Voyager PRO HD! I must have put it in a pocket and threw it in the wash. After a few choice words, I thought I'd see if it still worked. Having lost a phone to a sink with water in it, I really didn't hold out much hope. And much to my shocked surprise, I was met with a fully functioning, and squeaky clean, headset! Way to go, Plantronics!!
on July 19, 2012
I was in the market for a new Bluetooth headset as my old Plantronics 510 had finally gotten too flaky for regular use. I've tried a couple of different Bluetooth headsets and was disappointed and I absolutely hate wired headsets.

A couple of prerequisites for the new headset were:

--Best in class noise canceling as I wear my set both inside and outside and since I tend to speak softly, background noise is a big concern
--A2DP streaming was of significant interest so I could listen to music or watch video without disturbing the others around me
--Styling that isn't too obnoxious and no blinking "I am a tool" lights
--Standard port for charging
--Ability to manage more than a single device pairing

The Voyager Pro HD fulfills all of these requirements and more. Noise cancellation is good enough that I can again use a headset in my car, which is by no means quiet. While background noise is still present during a conversation, as soon as I speak, the headset blanks out the racket and only my voice is heard at the other end.

The quality for both calls and streaming audio is outstanding. Tones have a solid and rich tone without being boomy.

While a large 'set, the Voyager wraps around and hangs from your entire ear, rather than needing to have the bud stuffed into your ear canal (which gets uncomfortable after a few hours of wear). Most of the unit hides behind your ear with the most noticeable part being the mic boom which projects forward to your mouth. The unit is all black and dark gray, so it is, at minimum, unobtrusive.

The Voyager uses a microUSB port for charging. The USB port is also a data connection, but I haven't really explored what can be done with it.. Perhaps you could use it as a wired headset on your computer if your workspace is particularly noisy from an EMI perspective.

So far, I have paired the device to: My Windows 7 PC, my Android 2.3 phone, my iPad 2, my MacBook Pro and my Hackintosh. It handles connection requests from these devices with aplomb and largely switches between them without drama (eg, while watching a Youtube video on my iPad, if my Android phone rings, it automatically switches to the phone for the duration of the call).

I can listen to music all day and talk for a couple of hours and still use the set for a couple of days before recharging.

My only real gripe is the packaging was a little bit of a pain to disassemble - I'm of the opinion that every manufacturer needs to buy an example of every Apple product and learn about how to package your items...

Overall, this headset is outstanding...
on April 11, 2012
The sound coming in is great and balanced. The sound going out has fooled some callers into thinking that I was at home and not in the car.
The recognition of being worn works very well, and not having the phone be connected to the headset when it is nearby in the car in the garage is terrific.
The bad news is the awful manual that is just the basics. Say you listen to audio such as streaming or local tunes through the headphone jack connected to your car stereo while using the headset for calls.
By default, the headset takes over ALL audio: calls, streaming, and the local mp3's you have stored on the phone. The manual says NOTHING about controlling this. It says go to the Web site if you need more information than what it provides. Nothing there, either. It is ridiculous that I had call to customer service to learn how to do it: Turn the headset off. Connect it to your computer. Go to the Website>Support>Downloads>Personal>Get Started>Headset Updates>Learn More> Launch Now
Eventually you will be offered a choice via a Web script to update your firmware and to disable the total audio takeover.
Deduct one star for this very dumb way to set up your headset. I consider myself an advanced user, and this is the first time in I do not know how long I had to call customer service for anything other than a return.
Bottom line, the headset is such a good performer that this truly insane lack of documentation can be overlooked once this outstanding device is up and running to your preferences.
on February 26, 2015
Great Bluetooth headset! Calls sound clear and it has great battery life. I came home one day when we had heavy rain in my area. Without knowing, my headset fell out of my pocket, and I couldn't find it, I thought I was going to have to purchase another one. The next morning, I was walking to my car to get ready to head out to work and in the wet grass was my headset. It had been sitting there all night. I let it dry out and checked its functionality and it still works. Just after having gone through that experience, I would definitely buy this model again.
review image