4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, no broken earpieces
I ordered and received this headset from Amazon during the week of August 14th, and have been using it constantly since then. I have not experienced the problem with broken earpieces that others have been harping about, and my usage has been 3-8 hours a day, every day (minus a week of vacation in September).

I feel paranoid, though, and want to order extra...
Published on October 20, 2004 by P. F. Nguyen

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but earpieces break too easily
Published on May 19, 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, no broken earpieces, October 20, 2004
This review is from: Plantronics CS50 900 MHz Wireless Office Headset System (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I feel paranoid, though, and want to order extra earpieces from Plantronics as they do *look* flimsy.

I do have several gripes; one is that I get echo in the earpiece if I turn up the gain on the microphone too high, but I do not know if this is a problem with the headset, or my phone (Cisco 7960). Another nitpick would be to have some way to put the phone on/off hook w/o using the HL10--it's such an ugly hack...

All in all, the product performs perfectly as advertised, crystal clear communication, the earpiece is comfortable if you don't wear glasses (sometimes I don't wear my contacts and the earpiece can become uncomfortable with glasses on; the headband should rectify this, but I don't like headbands). This is a solid piece of kit that I would definitely recommend and buy again should the need arise.

PS. Why did Amazon raise the price on this lovely little item? ($165 -> $199) Regardless, this is still a great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars With some effort, works great at home too!, May 28, 2004
By A Customer
I wanted to go handsfree at home, so I bought this product. The first thing I realized is that the cs50 wouldn't work with my cordless phone. That's because it takes as input the wire that connects the telephone handset to the telephone base unit. So I tried using my corded phone. But that wouldn't work either because the wire could not be removed, this is a problem with most phones where the keypad is not in the base but is in the handset. So I bought another $20 corded phone (29318GE1) and the cs50 worked with it, but the other party could not hear me well. I tried several other inexpensive phones but the clarity was not there. In desperation I tried an expensive phone (an $80 29486GE2), the kind one has in the office, and the cs50 worked much much better with it. I still could hear an irritating echo, but that went away after some tuning. My efforts paid off and I am now very happy with the clarity and the convenience.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but earpieces break too easily, May 19, 2004
By A Customer
I've had this headset for about 2 months. The mouthpiece is very lightweight, and the sound quality is excellent. The battery life is as advertised -- you can talk all day without needing to recharge. I also purchased the phone lifter to be able to answer calls while away from my desk. The unit comes with interchangeable over-the ear attachments and an over-the head attachment that snap onto the earpiece/mouthpiece unit.
The high points of the unit stop there. I was used to using an over-the-ear Plantronics Tristar, and was surprised to see that the earpiece on the CS50 simply sits next to the ear and does not have any earbud-type capability for making it easy to listen in noisy environments. The over-the-ear attachment for the CS50 is nowhere near as comfortable as the Tristar was, and I gave up and switched to the headset attachment.
The headset attachment was much more comfortable, and I quickly adjusted to the earpiece. For about two weeks I was very happy with the unit. Then the o-ring that attaches the headset to the earpiece snapped, making the headset attachment unusable. I was forced to switch to the over-the-ear attachment, as that was all I had left.
I slowly got used to the over-the-ear attachment, but have to say it is not comfortable to wear for an 8 hour day. The cushion over the top of the ear consists of hard rubber and makes my ear sore.
After using the over-the-ear piece for a couple weeks, the o-ring attaching to the earpiece snapped -- just like before! There is obviously a serious design problem with the CS50 -- look at the other reviews here.
I called Plantronics, got someone to talk to me rather quickly, and she immediately took my name and address and said they would send a replacement (she also said "redesigned") headpiece and earpiece to me. Without saying so, she implied that the snapping o-ring is a common problem.
If the darn things didn't keep breaking, I'd give the CS50 4 stars for over-the-ear use. (I think it would need an earbud-style earpiece and a more comfortable over-the-ear attachment in order to rate 5 stars.)
As an over-the-head style wireless phone, this unit would have rated 5 stars, if only it didn't break!
As is stands, it's a 1 star product because it keeps breaking, but the quick Plantronics customer support bumps it up to 2 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ear piece, September 20, 2005
Did not care for the ear piece of the unit. The one that fits around your ear is not moldable and doesn't fit the ear very well, even though they give you three sizes. They need to put a more moldable piece with the unit. More like the ear pieces you would get with some cell phones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free to roam about the office with clarity, April 7, 2004
I have used headsets for 15 years in my profession as a financial planner. I always buy the best, since I use it so frequently and it makes me more productive. I have held off buying a wireless headset, since I was worried about the quality of the sound and the convenience. Others require a belt pack or are heavy. This is amazingly small, voice clarity is superior (many of my callers have complemented me on the quality of the sound without knowing I'm on a wireless headset) and it makes it easy to move around a large commercial office possible, without interference. The previous reviewer is confused. The phone does beep in your ear when a call comes in, so you CAN answer the phone. Simply by pushing a button on the side, you can pickup or hangup the phone with the handset lifter, HL10. You cannot make calls unless you are at your phone, since there is no keypad on the headset. The other buttons allow you to mute the phone and change the volume. They have several ways to wear it; over the head, over the ear and behind the head. I was up and running in about 10 minutes. You can hardly tell you are wearing a headset, it is so light and unobtrusive. I wear it all day long. No more tangled cords or a putting caller on hold to get a file or get something from my assistant. Buy it and you won't be disappointed. This is the only product I have felt so strongly to write a review about, so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using for over a year and loving it., October 28, 2005
Do not look any more; this is the headset you are buying. I have purchased about five for gifts because it is that good. And the best part is that you can walk around the office and pretend you are on the phone so people do not stop you for superfluous conversations. I thought it was expensive at first but well worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken ring piece - don't bother, try CT12, August 24, 2004
This product is okay but the ring that everyone talks about breaks easily and the only solution was to patch it with sellotape which make my ear sore! I suggest that you go for the CT12 (also a Plantronics product) a better buy, and less expensive!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great headset for a while ... then it breaks, May 12, 2004
By A Customer
I was so happy with this headset for a week. It provides great clarity and freedom of movement and integrates with your existing office phone. However, the wrap-around headset piece that attaches to the functional part of the unit broke. They got me another one and assured me that it was tougher and would not break. It broke after about 3 weeks. I am not hard on my things -- this is the only item that I can remember breaking in the last few years and it has broken twice. There is also another holder that wraps around your ear (seen in the picture) but it is rubbery and causes the slighly heavy unit to swing back and forth which is uncomfortable for me. One of my co-workers got this too and she had the same problems.
This unit is way to expensive to have these kind of comfort/quality problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding tool. It really saved my "neck!", October 24, 2005
I have had a phone glued to my ear for well over 20 years and this is the most comfortable headset I have ever used. The sound quality and adjustability is indicative of a quality Plantronics product. If you spend a lot of time interacting in telephone conversations, you need this headset. You will not regret the investment.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but not great, May 31, 2005
A. Gamboa (Inland Empire, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this product because I wanted to go wireless and loved the idea of it. I am on the phone for a large part of the day and work out of my home office so I thought this was a great item to buy.

My biggest con about this product is that only one of the headsets has a cushion and is uncomfortable to wear. When you answer and hang up the phone, you are required to press your ear in, which in turn will make your ear red and sore. I tried the behind-the-neck band, which does not have a cusion and just hurts altogether. I've tried wearing the headset off my ear to the front, which makes it sound bad, and you can't raise the volume so high because it sounds scratchy.

Plantronics told me that there is no accessory, nor attachment, nor alternate headband which the device fits into. Only one of the headbands has a cushion which doesn't feel that great either way.

So... now i am using the behind the neck band, with the leatherette inserted between the device and my ear which seems to be the best way so far, and strangely enough, it's not made to be used that way!! so the leatherette falls when you take the headband off.

I still use the headset, I love the mobility of it, but dissatisfied with the performance. But hey, $375+ later I guess I should get some use out of it.

Rate and Discover Movies