5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful All Ages Toy!
Published on October 20, 2006 by Cherie Sumner

1.0 out of 5 stars An imitation!!! Not a real PLASMACAR!!
Published on August 9, 2012 by EM

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful All Ages Toy!, October 20, 2006
Cherie Sumner (Stanley, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlasmaCar Red (Toy)
This is a life saver in my house! I have three children that vary in age from 1 to 10 years old. All love this car! Now, the one year old is not quite ready to ride on his own yet, but he is very happy to have his big sister (3 1/2) to drive him around. She rides her purple Plasma car every day for long periods of time. It is totally kid powered and easy to drive. It takes a moment to get used to how the wheel must move back and forth to start the friction, but kids seem to catch on very well. The cars are very sturdy and big enough for my 10 year old son to ride as well. They can hold up to 200 pounds on a smooth surface and 110 pounds on a rough surface. The cars can be used indoors or outdoors. We own two, and my daughter and oldest son like to race down the driveway together. The cars also turn on a dime! They can maneuver very well getting around our tables and other furniture. It's a great toy to get your kids active and away from the TV all the time. I love the fact that no batteries are involved, yet it virtually moves on its own without peddling. Of course, the children can also use their feet if they want to go very fast. But the good thing is that there are foot rests for their feet while they drive,and it is very safe to ride, considering it is almost like sitting on the ground basically, for it is only a few inches off the floor. I am glad that there is a car that can be used for many years for lots of growing age groups. It is a bit expensive, but compared to how much use it will get verses the younger toddler cars that you have for only 1-3 years, I find it invaluable. I have even ridden it. It is fun! I can see using these cars for at least 10-12 years or more! The seat is set far enough back, that the older children can sit towards the back for more room, and the younger ones towards the front. It's a hit with all the neighborhood children that come play. That is the real test! They all want one of their own after riding. It's hard to get them to go home! Plasma cars will probably be used more than their bicycles, which the children constantly keep outgrowing. I found a hit in our household! I highly recommend them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most fun you can have on wheels. Even for your kids!, June 20, 2008
HDS "stewcanoe" (Wheelersburg, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlasmaCar Red (Toy)
This toy is just plain fun. Even for your kids! In fact you might have to get them one as well! It started when we ordered a couple for our two grandkids. Both boys. One barely walking and the other a 4 year old that doesn't know the meaning of walk. Once we got these put together we saw how much fun they were we had to find a reason to order more, so we decided our niece and nephew needed them as well.

The specifics:
1. The toy is easy to put together. All you need is a hard rubber mallet (a block of wood and a claw hammer works just as well), and a Philips screwdriver. (You will not need to put in any screws but you will need the screwdriver with the included socket tool to help you tighten the nut on the steering shaft). There is a good video on YouTube about how easy it is to put together.
2. The toy is sturdy. Check out some of the plasma car race video's on YouTube to see how sturdy this toy is. (In no way do I suggest this is the way to treat the toy, but the videos are entertaining.) In any case they state the toy can handle up to 200 lbs on a smooth surface. I can personally testify that it will handle a bit more than that with no problem. (Hey Plasma Car! How about a bigger model made for us full size 50 year old adult frame types. I am at a significant disadvantage when sidewalk racing because of the cramped posture I must assume when competing!)
3. The toy is fast enough for any toddler, and on a downhill slope can be a real thrill. Toddlers will find it fun and they figure out how to make it move without any instruction. They can also paddle it around with their feet as well. Believe me, they will make it move plenty fast with just a little practice.
4. The toy is expensive but consider that if they start at 4 years old they could ride it for 10 years or more. So it only comes out to about five or six dollars a year. How many toys can you say that about?
5. No motor. No fuel. No batteries. You might think that means no fun. But not so! Certainly it's not as fast as a dirt bike. But watching my 18 year old daughter cruise around the house made me realize that fun riding toys don't necessarily need motors. And since we won't let her ride the dirt bike indoors, (or even her bicycle for that matter) this becomes a fun alternative.
6. Quiet. Except for the giggles and squeals.

If you read other reviews you will see a couple of disappointed reviewers. As for being hard to put together, the ones we received went together easily. You will need a hammer of some sort, and some tool like a screwdriver to turn the socket tool but that is all. Fast and easy to put together. As to being slow, well it can be. It can also go fairly quickly. It's all in how you work the handles back and forth. Really, check out the videos on YouTube.
I think kids of any age will really like the Plasma Car. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Ride on toy available, November 3, 2009
Akiraro "aki" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlasmaCar Red (Toy)
This is easily the best ride on toy you can get for the kids. The first time I saw that thing was at a shopping mall. A 3 years old girl was riding on it following her parents. I was very impressed by the concept and how easy it is for the little girl to move around with it. I asked her father what this thing is called and I finally bought one for my first son when he was around 18 months old. He has 2 other ride-on toy (Pixar's Lighting McQueen and generic horse ride on) but this one is his favorite. He no longer played with the other ones. At first, he used his feet to move the Plasmacar around just like the other ride on toy he has. Simply by watching me and me wife riding around the house using the wiggle movement, he got the idea real quick. At 2 yrs, He was able to steer the Plasmacar around the house perfectly with his hands only. He rides the Plasmacar everyday for the last two years. I can already tell that he will play with the plasmacar for many years to come. Thanks to the Plasmacar, he has very good hand coordination.

I strongly recommended to upgrade the wheels because the original plastic wheels is loud and can easily scratch the floor. [...]. Same material as Rollerblade and Scooter Wheels. It makes a huge difference. These wheels will not scrath your floor (wood, tile) and it will improve the overall ride (smoother and quieter). Really worth it.

It took me around 15 minutes to assembly the Plasmacar. It's very easy. Some revievers complain about the steering wheel becoming loose after a while. Make sure to secure the nut of the steering wheel as tight as possible. My wife did the assembly on one Plasmacar for her sister's daughter. Her hands are not strong enough so the steering wheel became loose after a short period of play. I will recommend a man or someone with strong hands to do the job.

So far, I bought 3 other Plasmacar as present for my nephews (age 3,5,8) and everyone loves it. Now I have to buy another one because we have another baby coming.

1.0 out of 5 stars An imitation!!! Not a real PLASMACAR!!, August 9, 2012
This review is from: PlasmaCar Red (Toy)
I bought this product for my nephew, and when it arrived it was in a multicolored, unlabeled, cheap box, with generic assembly directions and a cheap plastic plasmacar imitation! The product was essentially unlabeled except for a "made in China" sticker on the bottom. This is so misleading! The real Plasmacar should have a yellow sticker under the steering wheel (nicely demonstrated by another reviewer here in a you tube video), a name brand box, and is made in Canada by a company called "PlaSmart.". Sadly, I learned all of this AFTER receiving this cheap imitation and researching it better. Sending mine back today! What a disappointment. This is my first review of a product, and it was unfortunately inspired by feelings of bing "duped!". Buyer beware!

4.0 out of 5 stars 5-Star Toy IF YOU REPLACE THE WHEELS, February 27, 2014
This review is from: PlasmaCar Red (Toy)
**I never write reviews, but know this will help those who are considering the Plasma Car. I can't stress enough that changing the wheels out on the car was a night and day difference on its performance, and my kids now love it.**

Got this for my 2 & 4 year old for Christmas. As many reviews have said, you need a flat, smooth surface for best performance - our concrete driveway works great for this.

My kids tried it out for a couple of days after Christmas but did not find it that fun since they could not get much momentum out of it -- because of the cheap molded plastic wheels that come with the product. Rough ride, moderate handling, rather slow and underwhelming performance.

So I followed the advice of some reviewers and ordered a four-wheel set of inline skate polyurethane wheels with Abec-7 bearings. Wheel Size: 80mm / 83a (the 83a stands for the level of hardness in the plastic of the wheel). I think I paid around fourteen bucks for the wheels, but it was worth every penny.

The front wheels (the 2 that actually touch the ground, not the 2 that stay in the air) were easy to replace - 5 min tops. The back wheels were much more involved. I had to do some modification to the white plastic part of the axel that comes with the car in order to make the polyurethane wheels fit into the wheel housing. The poly wheels were a little wider than the cheap plasmacar wheels (not in diameter, but in thickness), but I didn't know this when I ordered the poly wheels sight unseen online (I could not find any at the local store). You may be able to avoid my struggle of having to modify the car if you find wheels that are the same thickness/width of the plasmacar wheels. But in the end, I got it to work even with the wider wheels.

When my kids tried it again with the poly wheels, it was like a completely different product. Not exaggerating here. It is such a smoother, faster ride. I wish I could post a before and after video to prove my point. My 4 year old son kept saying how much better it rode. I tried it too and it is very smooth (and I admit, pretty fun). My 2 year old daughter absolutely loves it and can fly on it - she can operate it so much better now. With the cheap wheels, the plasmacar sat neglected in the garage. Now my kids fight over who gets to ride first every time they go out to play.

By the way, if the makers of plasmacar read this review, I would have gladly paid an extra ten to fifteen dollars to have a car with polyurethane wheels built in to avoid the hassle of replacing myself. You should offer this option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for everone, December 12, 2009
L. Velasco (San Pedro, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlasmaCar Red (Toy)
After reading a few reviews, I was skeptical, but I purchased it for my son's 3rd birthday. He loved it, was waiting anxiously while I (mom) put it together for him (it was very simple and quick). He was on it right away and uses it every single day. Even my teenager (14) likes to ride it. And so does my dad (69)-he has parkinsons and his mobility is limited but this gives him the opportunity to do a little exercise with his upper body and he really enjoys it.

I recommend this to anyone! Especially if you have a kid around. It is light enough to carry up or downstairs, as I sometimes have to.

One more thing, I love shopping at Amazon because I always get stuff before their estimated arrival.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun on Flat Surfaces, August 30, 2009
This review is from: PlasmaCar Red (Toy)
Purchased this for our 3-year old son's birthday. He test rode one in a toy store and had a blast. I thought our driveway was flat - until we started riding the PlasmaCar on it (yes, me and my husband joined in the fun). Apparently, our driveway has the slightest of inclines - which makes it hard to zip around on this car. It is doable, but not enjoyable. Our son mostly pushes the PlasmaCar up to the "top" of the driveway and rides back down. It also works really well in the garage. Fun, but I sort of wish I had explored getting him the Flying Turtle instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Way Too Slow!, August 19, 2007
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlasmaCar Red (Toy)
I wish I had known that this car only really moves on a smooth surface. We tried it out on our sidewalk (which isn't too old or too cracked), and it goes unbearably slow. After my 3.5 year old became frustrated at the snail's pace, both my husband and I tried it out - we couldn't get it to go any faster.

We tried it in our house, which is 80% tile, and even on the 12inch tiles it didn't move very fast. The only place we could get it up to a "normal" speed was in our tiny garage. Ironically, that is where this toy now sits, unused...in our garage.

If you have access to a large, *very* smooth floor, than this toy is worth the outrageous price. However, don't plan on using it outside for walks, or else you will end up with a very disappointed child.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't use these on sidewalks or hard wood floors Very Disappointed!, June 11, 2013
This review is from: PlasmaCar Red (Toy)
These plasma cars are not designed for indoor home use nor can they continue to glide or ride over normal sidewalk conditions. They leave black marks on the floor inside the house. Where were these designed to be used? I am so disappointed in these and I bought two of them (one red, one purple) for and 5 year old grandson and 4 year old grand daughter as their birthday present. My daughter said while they are cute, they just can't use them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not even adults can resist this, June 3, 2007
James "tigerblues" (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
What can I say about a toy that every grown-up who has seen it has to ride it and all the engineer types have to figure out how it works? It is a wonderully active toy that uses arm movement (and leaning) to steer, move and reverse the vehicle. It works best on hard floors and they have a space about 10 x 20 to ride in while avoiding toys and furniture. On carpet it is harder to work and lighter kids have an advantage. Outside on asphalt it goes well unless the asphalt is very cracked up and then there is a bumpy ride and the kids often use their feet to push.

It can be tipped over in sharp turns, but even our 3 year old learned to balance on it quickly. It allows the 3 year old and 6 year old to be evenly matched in races and the 3 year old came up with winning strategy in how to pass his brother and then keep the lead. They ride them every morning before and afternoon after school.

If two of these ever make it to a college campus there will be a huge run on them. All the college age visitors have had to be asked to get off the toys so the little kids could ride them. It is much more durable than the little tykes cars the children used when they were younger (and does not replace them. These are for older kids). There are many colors available allowing each of our kids to have their own favorite color. I will be getting 2 more for visitors as sharing is hard for this age group. However, they can ride 2 to a car without harming the car. The weight limit is above 230 lbs. At 6'2" your knees stick way up but it is still ridable and the kids love to race parents.

I highly recommend them if you have room to ride or a convient outdoor or garage space. We use them inside and have rules like "no grabbing handles of furniture to stop with, no ramming your brother into the furniture, no chasing the pets" and since they are so popular "if you don't pick up the toys before you ride, the cars go in the garage for a day". Now that is a real disaster as they still (since christmas) ride them daily.

PlasmaCar Red