Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on October 20, 2006
This is a life saver in my house! I have three children that vary in age from 1 to 10 years old. All love this car! Now, the one year old is not quite ready to ride on his own yet, but he is very happy to have his big sister (3 1/2) to drive him around. She rides her purple Plasma car every day for long periods of time. It is totally kid powered and easy to drive. It takes a moment to get used to how the wheel must move back and forth to start the friction, but kids seem to catch on very well. The cars are very sturdy and big enough for my 10 year old son to ride as well. They can hold up to 200 pounds on a smooth surface and 110 pounds on a rough surface. The cars can be used indoors or outdoors. We own two, and my daughter and oldest son like to race down the driveway together. The cars also turn on a dime! They can maneuver very well getting around our tables and other furniture. It's a great toy to get your kids active and away from the TV all the time. I love the fact that no batteries are involved, yet it virtually moves on its own without peddling. Of course, the children can also use their feet if they want to go very fast. But the good thing is that there are foot rests for their feet while they drive,and it is very safe to ride, considering it is almost like sitting on the ground basically, for it is only a few inches off the floor. I am glad that there is a car that can be used for many years for lots of growing age groups. It is a bit expensive, but compared to how much use it will get verses the younger toddler cars that you have for only 1-3 years, I find it invaluable. I have even ridden it. It is fun! I can see using these cars for at least 10-12 years or more! The seat is set far enough back, that the older children can sit towards the back for more room, and the younger ones towards the front. It's a hit with all the neighborhood children that come play. That is the real test! They all want one of their own after riding. It's hard to get them to go home! Plasma cars will probably be used more than their bicycles, which the children constantly keep outgrowing. I found a hit in our household! I highly recommend them!
11 comment|244 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2008
This toy is just plain fun. Even for your kids! In fact you might have to get them one as well! It started when we ordered a couple for our two grandkids. Both boys. One barely walking and the other a 4 year old that doesn't know the meaning of walk. Once we got these put together we saw how much fun they were we had to find a reason to order more, so we decided our niece and nephew needed them as well.

The specifics:
1. The toy is easy to put together. All you need is a hard rubber mallet (a block of wood and a claw hammer works just as well), and a Philips screwdriver. (You will not need to put in any screws but you will need the screwdriver with the included socket tool to help you tighten the nut on the steering shaft). There is a good video on YouTube about how easy it is to put together.
2. The toy is sturdy. Check out some of the plasma car race video's on YouTube to see how sturdy this toy is. (In no way do I suggest this is the way to treat the toy, but the videos are entertaining.) In any case they state the toy can handle up to 200 lbs on a smooth surface. I can personally testify that it will handle a bit more than that with no problem. (Hey Plasma Car! How about a bigger model made for us full size 50 year old adult frame types. I am at a significant disadvantage when sidewalk racing because of the cramped posture I must assume when competing!)
3. The toy is fast enough for any toddler, and on a downhill slope can be a real thrill. Toddlers will find it fun and they figure out how to make it move without any instruction. They can also paddle it around with their feet as well. Believe me, they will make it move plenty fast with just a little practice.
4. The toy is expensive but consider that if they start at 4 years old they could ride it for 10 years or more. So it only comes out to about five or six dollars a year. How many toys can you say that about?
5. No motor. No fuel. No batteries. You might think that means no fun. But not so! Certainly it's not as fast as a dirt bike. But watching my 18 year old daughter cruise around the house made me realize that fun riding toys don't necessarily need motors. And since we won't let her ride the dirt bike indoors, (or even her bicycle for that matter) this becomes a fun alternative.
6. Quiet. Except for the giggles and squeals.

If you read other reviews you will see a couple of disappointed reviewers. As for being hard to put together, the ones we received went together easily. You will need a hammer of some sort, and some tool like a screwdriver to turn the socket tool but that is all. Fast and easy to put together. As to being slow, well it can be. It can also go fairly quickly. It's all in how you work the handles back and forth. Really, check out the videos on YouTube.
I think kids of any age will really like the Plasma Car. I highly recommend this product.
0Comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2009
This is easily the best ride on toy you can get for the kids. The first time I saw that thing was at a shopping mall. A 3 years old girl was riding on it following her parents. I was very impressed by the concept and how easy it is for the little girl to move around with it. I asked her father what this thing is called and I finally bought one for my first son when he was around 18 months old. He has 2 other ride-on toy (Pixar's Lighting McQueen and generic horse ride on) but this one is his favorite. He no longer played with the other ones. At first, he used his feet to move the Plasmacar around just like the other ride on toy he has. Simply by watching me and me wife riding around the house using the wiggle movement, he got the idea real quick. At 2 yrs, He was able to steer the Plasmacar around the house perfectly with his hands only. He rides the Plasmacar everyday for the last two years. I can already tell that he will play with the plasmacar for many years to come. Thanks to the Plasmacar, he has very good hand coordination.

I strongly recommended to upgrade the wheels because the original plastic wheels is loud and can easily scratch the floor. [...]. Same material as Rollerblade and Scooter Wheels. It makes a huge difference. These wheels will not scrath your floor (wood, tile) and it will improve the overall ride (smoother and quieter). Really worth it.

It took me around 15 minutes to assembly the Plasmacar. It's very easy. Some revievers complain about the steering wheel becoming loose after a while. Make sure to secure the nut of the steering wheel as tight as possible. My wife did the assembly on one Plasmacar for her sister's daughter. Her hands are not strong enough so the steering wheel became loose after a short period of play. I will recommend a man or someone with strong hands to do the job.

So far, I bought 3 other Plasmacar as present for my nephews (age 3,5,8) and everyone loves it. Now I have to buy another one because we have another baby coming.
55 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2012
I bought this product for my nephew, and when it arrived it was in a multicolored, unlabeled, cheap box, with generic assembly directions and a cheap plastic plasmacar imitation! The product was essentially unlabeled except for a "made in China" sticker on the bottom. This is so misleading! The real Plasmacar should have a yellow sticker under the steering wheel (nicely demonstrated by another reviewer here in a you tube video), a name brand box, and is made in Canada by a company called "PlaSmart.". Sadly, I learned all of this AFTER receiving this cheap imitation and researching it better. Sending mine back today! What a disappointment. This is my first review of a product, and it was unfortunately inspired by feelings of bing "duped!". Buyer beware!
99 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2015
I am very dissatisfied, there was no bolt to secure the stearing wheel. This was a birthday present and now I don't have enough time to order and receive a unique gift like this should have been. I looked online see if I was doing something wrong and noticed the missing bolt from the steering wheel.
review image
on June 11, 2013
These plasma cars are not designed for indoor home use nor can they continue to glide or ride over normal sidewalk conditions. They leave black marks on the floor inside the house. Where were these designed to be used? I am so disappointed in these and I bought two of them (one red, one purple) for and 5 year old grandson and 4 year old grand daughter as their birthday present. My daughter said while they are cute, they just can't use them!
on February 27, 2014
**I never write reviews, but know this will help those who are considering the Plasma Car. I can't stress enough that changing the wheels out on the car was a night and day difference on its performance, and my kids now love it.**

Got this for my 2 & 4 year old for Christmas. As many reviews have said, you need a flat, smooth surface for best performance - our concrete driveway works great for this.

My kids tried it out for a couple of days after Christmas but did not find it that fun since they could not get much momentum out of it -- because of the cheap molded plastic wheels that come with the product. Rough ride, moderate handling, rather slow and underwhelming performance.

So I followed the advice of some reviewers and ordered a four-wheel set of inline skate polyurethane wheels with Abec-7 bearings. Wheel Size: 80mm / 83a (the 83a stands for the level of hardness in the plastic of the wheel). I think I paid around fourteen bucks for the wheels, but it was worth every penny.

The front wheels (the 2 that actually touch the ground, not the 2 that stay in the air) were easy to replace - 5 min tops. The back wheels were much more involved. I had to do some modification to the white plastic part of the axel that comes with the car in order to make the polyurethane wheels fit into the wheel housing. The poly wheels were a little wider than the cheap plasmacar wheels (not in diameter, but in thickness), but I didn't know this when I ordered the poly wheels sight unseen online (I could not find any at the local store). You may be able to avoid my struggle of having to modify the car if you find wheels that are the same thickness/width of the plasmacar wheels. But in the end, I got it to work even with the wider wheels.

When my kids tried it again with the poly wheels, it was like a completely different product. Not exaggerating here. It is such a smoother, faster ride. I wish I could post a before and after video to prove my point. My 4 year old son kept saying how much better it rode. I tried it too and it is very smooth (and I admit, pretty fun). My 2 year old daughter absolutely loves it and can fly on it - she can operate it so much better now. With the cheap wheels, the plasmacar sat neglected in the garage. Now my kids fight over who gets to ride first every time they go out to play.

By the way, if the makers of plasmacar read this review, I would have gladly paid an extra ten to fifteen dollars to have a car with polyurethane wheels built in to avoid the hassle of replacing myself. You should offer this option.
on April 24, 2013
Came broken and probably used. I will upload a photo. It is not something that can affect the driving experience, but annoying.
review image
VINE VOICEon October 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
In my title I state that it is awesome for rainy days because that is when it arrived. It was a build that only required a Philips screwdriver and rubber mallet and before long the kids were fighting over it that afternoon.

Is it fun? Absolutely! It is a bit pricey? Not anymore... I originally purchased this item in 2009 for my nephew and it was so much more expensive at that point. Can us adults fit on it? Yes, but it sure hurts my ahem* bigger booty. It's pretty funny watching my legs cramped and bent in the most awkward position. I am not winning any races; I will leave the imagery at that. The point that I am trying to make is that up to a 220 pound adult can ride on a smooth surface. The number seriously declines when you reach the sidewalk or rough surface to about 110 pounds. My husband did not enjoy it because he can't keep his legs in that position, but the kiddies aged 6, nearly 9 and 10 had a ball and were swift and fluid in their maneuvers. We have hardwood flooring and it seems that this is one of the best surfaces for optimal speed and maneuverability. It struggled on our rug that is in our bedroom, and there was a bit of stiffness once it hit the sidewalk the next day. I do not see this being able to go over grass or thick carpet in a home.

I love that this toy has such an amazing and expansive age/weight range. Everyone can take a whirl and feel young again. I don't see it being thrown into the basement until they are into their teens. Even then I believe creative boys can find a way to play with it ;).

Highly recommend for the quality build and ease of use. Most importantly it isn't restrictive with the age, weight & height requirements. I do wish they made a bigger one for adults. We want to play too sometimes even if we must appear to be fools to the outside world. I had purchased this item for my nephews and niece and couldn't review because I had not tinkered with the 'car' personally. I have now experienced and fallen in love as have the kids.
on October 31, 2014
Bought its a little prematurely for my 20 month old but now that she is almost 2 she has figured out how to use it ( doesnt swing the handle side to side but rather uses her feet and pushes against the ground) works for her and she enjoys it a lot.
I have tried using it as well and its fun