Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on July 22, 2004
Bought this as a first wet saw for two small bathroom stone tile jobs. For making straight cuts it works well enough. However, the cheap plastic rip fence broke after about 15 cuts, after which I had to clamp it down. Never had use for the miter gauge, but it looked like accuracy might be an issue--again, a cheap-looking plastic item. Yes, this saw will make 45-deg bevel cuts, but only at the end of a piece, not in the middle, and with pretty poor accuracy. All in all, I was frustrated but getting by with this saw--it's still cheaper than renting for more than a day or two--but then when I was about 80% done with the project, the motor simply quit halfway through a cut and would not reset even after a "cooldown".

Overall, I'd recommend this only for very small projects where you want the time flexibility of making cuts over a few days rather than renting.
on June 14, 2005
As a new home owner I was happy with this saw at first, not really knowing what to expect. The monstrous fountain of spray created by the cutting wheel was tolerable, but one job escalated into three, by which time the motor had failed.

Anyway, I purchased an all steel model with a 3/4 hp motor for the same price and it was clear that the Plasplugs model was inferior in every way. For DIY take a look at the Workforce THD 550 or the very similar WS1807 from It's a no brainer...
on November 10, 2003
This is the only tile saw I have ever used. That being said...I gotta say "so far, so good".
I thought the plastic thing would fall apart but so far:
I've laid two bathrooms in ceramic, Two full houses in slate 16" flooring tiles and our detached home office in natural saltillo tile. Not the top of the line but not bad for a $99.00 saw either! It's major water spray but so what. Love these rooms! Gotta give this saw it's due.
on June 28, 2006
We are general contractors and we do a fair amount of tile work. We own several MK tile saws. We bought this saw 7 years ago as a joke. We could not believe that a tile saw for a hundred bucks could work. Diamond blades alone hover around that price. Since then, that saw has worked on EVERY tile job we have completed since! Every time I press the switch to start it now, I am in disbelief that it starts and We have done zero maintenance on it.

The saws advantages are that it cuts from the bottom so the back of the cut is longer, it has no costly pumps to replace (the blade dips into the water), it is very light weight easily carried w/one hand, it is completely selfcontained (just put water into it, plug it in and turn it on), no pumps to burn out and as tile saws go, it is a clean operating saw (very little mess, especially w/small tiles).

Its disadvantages are that it cuts large tiles very slowly (I would not recomend it for large tiles) and the fence is useless (we just clamp a piece of 1x to the saw).

By the way, I am not in the habbit of writing reviews.

David S.
on June 26, 2003
I don't think much of the construction of this product - after only moderate use the nylon gear in the motor gear reduction unit lost all the teeth. This may have been caused because there was only a small amount of grease in the housing. As this is an area that is not regularily serviced it may help if more lubricant was added during assembly. Seems a shame that a [$$$] tool was rendered useless by a lack of ... of lubricant. Wouldn't recommend!
on May 13, 2003
Good tile saw for the homeowner at reasonable cost. A bit messy to use but good results. I've been using it to cut granite tiles and it worked very well.
on September 24, 2010
I have had this Plasplugs DWW406 US wet saw for years, and it has seen me through two bathrooms, a kitchen backsplash, and a 260-square-foot patio paved with 18" x 1/2" travertine tiles. It's still working, and still on the original blade.

I didn't expect it to make it through the patio, but it did. Of course, as a small and inexpensive saw with a small blade and only 1/2 HP, it was VERY slow on those big tiles. But I didn't push it, and I got straight cuts by drawing a line to follow and eyeballing the cut. (The fence is pretty useless, and impossible to use for tiles larger than about 6 inches.)

There is a review that says blades are impossible to find. That's not quite true -- this is a UK machine, and the blades measure 4.33 inches, with a funky arbor size, all metric I guess. However, it is possible to get them from the Plasplugs website: Go to [...] and click on the American flag to get to their US site. Then click on replacement blades in the left-side menu. The standard blade is pricey at about $25, and the blade for hard surfaces is $27. But this is about what you'll pay at Home Depot for a good blade, and it's still cheaper than a new saw.

I rented a large 10" saw for one day of work on the patio (which overall took me more than a month to complete working on weekends) and paid $75 for the rental, because I thought this little saw wouldn't handle the job. Yes, the rental unit was much more sturdy and much faster cutting, but it's also too heavy for one person to lift, and for as many days as I needed a saw, it would have cost me hundreds. The little Plasplugs is totally portable and doesn't take much space to store, and it gets the job done.
on February 25, 2009
This saw works great...until you need a new blade! It is impossible to find a replacement blade. My kitchen floor is half done and now we have to purchase a new wet saw to finish the job! I even called Amazon help and they couldn't find a match. The blades at home depot & lowes are 5/8" and will not fit as this is a 7/8" saw. This is an older model and replacement blades are not even shown on the plasplugs website for this model.

Update: Plasplugs is out of business. I tried contacting both the domestic and international offices. Then with a little research I found that they closed their doors. There is no where to purchase the appropriate blades. The ones on Amazon are 1/4" too large. I give up - this is a disposable unit and now we have to purchase another one somewhere.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2012
It looks cheap, feels cheap, messey, cheap cost with great results. My first electric tile cutter, still going strong after several years of cutting, same blade. Of course it cuts slower than a large saw, it is real slow on thick marble. It's all plastic, small motor, treat it as such, keep it clean-especially the table top. I've used this to complete several projects/rooms. I do not use this as my main tile cutter, I use a regular scratch and break type for straight cuts, their quicker and less messy than a wet saw. When I have to cut out sections, small or thin pieces I use a wet saw, this wet saw. A Home Depo saleman recommended it to me, if it did't work, bring it back, I kept it. I've read another review, the company is out of business and replacement blades are not available???? I haven't tried to find one yet. If it's true???? It still was money well spent, especially vs a rental....When this one burns out, I'd buy another one, if not this one, one like it.
on May 15, 2012
The Plasplugs company has apparently gone out of business in the US but are still up and running in the UK. I was missing a part and when I called the number on the box I got a sex line instead. I did find the company online and emailed them. Unfortunately, they were unable to get me the part I needed. Even with that in mind, the product seemed solid and I regretted not being able to use it. I did get a full refund from the seller.

See 1 answered question