5.0 out of 5 stars Great freezer jars
Published on June 5, 2011 by R. George

2.0 out of 5 stars I own 32
Published on November 15, 2011 by jinglish

2.0 out of 5 stars I own 32, November 15, 2011
This review is from: Ball® Plastic 16-Ounce Freezer Jar, Set of 4 (by Jarden Home Brands) (Kitchen)
I originally ordered one set of these jars for Strawberry Freezer Jam. They worked great. I then purchased 7 more sets of jars. Four sets I used exclusively for freezer canning and the remaining four sets I use for storing food in the refrigerator. After less than a year, all except 2 lids have developed cracks. The crack starts at the tiny divot in the center of the lid then expands outward. I have contacted the manufacturer without result. I prefer these type of jars for freezer canning but because of poor quality will return to using glass jars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lids crack in the center - don't buy these, August 8, 2011
These freezer jars have a very nice design - I love the concept of the screw on lid, etc. Unfortunately, all of the lids on mine are developing cracks in the center. Of course, now they are useless. What a waste of money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great freezer jars, June 5, 2011
I own about 40 of these jars, been using them for over 2 years and have learn that I can't find a better freezer jar than this one. They have screw on lid and bottoms of jars sit down on top of another jar lid and more or less lock in place which keeps them from falling over. Read where people having problems with jar breaking of cracking. First about the only way to break them would be from a severe fall or no using common sense not to over load the jars. When you put something in a jar like this and they freeze, they need a little expansion room inside the jar. If figure that is why they are cracking. Pesonally I have never had one break or crack. They are mad by Ball the same company that makes canning jars so they have to be pretty good. But they are even better than that, they are great. Also made in 2 other sizes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lids cracked in storage, March 13, 2013
I bought these jars in order to make freezer salsa. I am very dissatisfied with the quality of the salsa sold in grocery stores, and wanted to make my own. The Ball Simple Creations Mild Fiesta Salsa Mix is so easy, and tasty - just add it to 5 fourteen-ounce cans of diced tomatoes, boil in a medium saucepan, ladle salsa into the freezer jars, and freeze. I made this salsa before, using these jars, and I was very satisfied with the results.

I had been keeping my empty jars in a cabinet for about a year, and the other day I got them out again, ready to make some more salsa.

To my dismay, ALL of the jar lids had developed cracks right down the middle, all the way through the lids.

I don't know if there is any way to patch these so I can still use them (gorilla glue? probably not...).

I guess I will just shop around for some better quality freezer jars.

Ball Fiesta Salsa Small Batch

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for my use, January 12, 2013
After about 6 months of use, one of the lids has developed a crack. But if I wanted something permanent, I would just get glass jars. I do not freeze or microwave my jars, but I use them to transport yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies and coffee without spillage. It is unfortunate that they crack, but I think they last long enough for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I use these to portion frozen soup for lunches, June 7, 2012
Unique ViewPoint (Gaithersburg, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I bought these because I loved the 8 ounce size. When I saw the 16 ounce size, I bought some. I use them to freeze my lunch soup. My portion is 12 ounces, so I'm well under the fill line. The fill line is somewhere above 12 ounces and below 16 ounces. You'd need to know that if you intend to freeze 16 ounces. You can't or you'll be above the freeze line.

Based on my experience with the 8 ounce ones, I do not put the lids in the dishwasher. That's my theory of why the lids develop cracks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Already cracked, March 21, 2013
I bought these jars because a friend of mine uses them for her smoothies. They are the perfect size. I am disappointed because I've only had them about a week and I've noticed that more than one of them had developed a crack in the center of the lid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Containers Crack, January 31, 2013
Containers crack, and no they are not dropped or overloaded. Ball was a quality name for over 50 years of using their products. The freezer rated storage containers are low quality; too bad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Top cracks, December 21, 2012
I lusted after a container like this. It could be the best thing ever for freezing liquids, like smoothies. Before ordering, I read the product comments and saw there were issues with the top cracking from the center. After I received my order, I only hand washed the vessel and lid. But I did use them to freeze. The lid did crack from the center, after one use in the freezer. We have lots of other options for freezer containers (even house brands at groceries and Target) but I did not see any other drink jars. Why is this design so hard to make a lid for? A cup and a lid?

1.0 out of 5 stars The center of two lids have cracks, December 8, 2012
I bought this product so i can put hot soup that will not spill out. There are four jars and associated four lids in the set. The only problem is there is a crack in the center of two of the lids. The soup seeps out through the crack when the jar is laid on its side.