5.0 out of 5 stars Important part of my gear
I really like the Platypus PlusBottle which comes in a 1 Liter size and has a push-pull cap. It is a great asset to have in your gear.

Basics:

1. The new material is definitely softer and more flexible than other Platypus water containers.
2. It is lightweight and compact when folded. Stores nice until needed.
3. It allows for versatility...
Published on February 25, 2010 by Tradecraft

3.0 out of 5 stars Great travel bottle...but....
Published on July 6, 2011 by M2

5.0 out of 5 stars Important part of my gear, February 25, 2010

Basics:

2. It is lightweight and compact when folded. Stores nice until needed.
3. It allows for versatility since it is able to accept different lids and hydration tubes.
4. The part that I really like is the loop which provides flexibility to attach to gear or hang if necessary.

I like keeping this with my gear in case I am running out of water and come across a water source. I fill up the 1 liter bottle and add one tablet of the Katadyn MicroPur water purification tables. These tables are designed to be used with one liter of water so the Platypus is a perfect size. I can then attach it to the outside of my pack so that the sun hits it which aids in cleaning the water.

The Platypus PlusBottle is a nice addition to have with your gear. It takes up little space when not in use and it is great to have when needed. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Platy, October 22, 2010
Offsideher "mkubee" (Memphis, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Platypus PlusBottle (Sports)
I've bought several of these bottles and I'm about to buy another, two for myself(somehow I manage to leave mine in strange places). I bought one each for my niece and nephew and I bought one for my sister. I think the person that got the most use out of her Platypus was my mom -- she took it everywhere -- she stuck in the fridge over night and the next day it was ready to go -- we had a lot of days in and out of doctors offices and her platypus was a constant and welcome companion. It was strange because my mom never really cared to carry water bottles with her, I thought it would be something she put in a cabinet somewhere and never used, but she loved her first and only...She passed away a few weeks ago -- and I found her Platypus folded in her bag when I bought it home from the hospital, ready for action -- her Platypus is now retired, but it's one of many things that will remain an endearing memory of my last year with my mom. I miss her terribly...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you travel, you have to have this bottle, October 1, 2010
Lava (Down the shore, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Platypus PlusBottle (Sports)
This is a great idea. I take this empty and rolled up in my carryon, get through tsa at the airport and fill it up on the other side. On the flight i have water when ever i want, without paying $3 and up for bottled water. Filled and frozen it makes a great freezer pack for a cooler, then used for drinking water when you arrive. The size is perfect for a round of golf, start off frozen, and you have cold water through 18 holes.

Admittedly I do get kidded when I bring it to the office, because it looks like an upside down IV bottle, but I can take the heat. Especially when I can fill it where the water tastes good, to be used where the faucet water doesn't, like in an unnamed hotel in Dallas, where I fill up from the bottled water in the gym to use for coffee in my room.

I now own 4, and they are in constant use by me and mine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great travel bottle...but...., July 6, 2011
M2 (DFW Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Platypus PlusBottle (Sports)
Lots of thought went into this outstanding travel bottle. It rolls up nicely inside my briefcase or backpack and like others have said, it "sneaks" empty by the TSA and then I can fill it up for water for my trip. It is very resilient too and so far through lots of crushing and manhandling, there has been no breach (water loss). I have the clear one and am told that water is better (safer?) in something more opaque so you might consider researching that before picking a color.

The big drawback is the lack of a secure top. The snap top is great for drinking but the cap that protects the mouth piece is simply a cheap, clear plastic cap that is not in anyway tethered to the bottle. Once that is gone, the pop top is not protected from germs or from accidentally opening. If this bottle had a better cap, I would rate it higher.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had purchased this sooner, November 20, 2010
This review is from: Platypus PlusBottle (Sports)
My passion is photography, so I walk long distances taking pictures of what I see. I used to carry water bottles to keep from getting thirsty until I purchased the Platypus. I like it more than water bottles because I can carry it in the pocket of my cargo pants and barely know that it's there. Unlike water bottles, it will flex when I sit down and it flattens out in my pocket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the bottle, hate the cap, April 11, 2011
This review is from: Platypus PlusBottle
This bottle is great. It folds up easily, weighs next to nothing, holds a lot, and fits in almost any cupholder. The carrying handle is comfortable and durable and the bottle is well made. The lid, on the other hand, seems like an afterthought. It pops off easily, making a huge mess, and the dust cover does not attach to the cap, so it disappeared after the first couple of days. Replacement caps are also rather expensive. I did, however, find Vapur replacement caps here on Amazon and they are a lot better, although still not perfect. A huge improvement over my metal water bottle, but still needs some work on the lid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty awesome, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Platypus PlusBottle
I will start with the PROS:
Great for adventures
When your done with the contents it folds up so small.
Hold lots of liquid
makes me drink more throughout my day
Great hold for a carabiniere so that it can attach to my backpack!

CONS:
hard to clean
I have had one of them pop a hole in the bottom after several uses. The company was great with the return and exchanged it for me after I sent mine in. Great service so maybe thats a PRO =)

OVERALL a very solid product!!
Thanks Platypus

3.0 out of 5 stars Compact Yet Not So Efficient, May 21, 2011
This review is from: Platypus PlusBottle (Sports)
I really like how these roll up; take almost no space, weigh next to nothing but the opening is so small it is difficult to fill - especially in the field. I added this to my backpack and now I'm wondering how to fill it in the field where water is precious and I will spill a lot. If anyone has experience please post a response as I live in the desert so any water is priceless and I want to take full advantage of this nifty device.

I only gave it 3 stars and if I or someone can tell me an easy way to fill it in the field I'll gladly give it 5 stars. I recommend the product but maybe a makeshift funnel will be handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it for backpacking and international travel, February 10, 2014
This review is from: Platypus PlusBottle (Sports)
I like to be on the move. I hike or backpack when I can and I love to travel the world. This Platypus bottle, and it's various size derivatives, is a huge bonus when on the move.

Yes, everyone knows you need water and that the further you travel from home, the more questionable sources can be. I use the Platypus gravity works hydration system with a Sawyer filter mod and it's performance to capacity to weight ratio is VERY hard to beat.

I carry this on day hikes and to keep in camp. I also carry it with my when I fly because it's light, durable and small when needed.

Traditional water battles can be heavyish, but even those that aren't have a personality trait that I tend to find annoying - size retention. They are the same size and shape when full or empty. This usually isn't a big deal, but if space is a priority, this is a handy bottle.

When it's full, the bottom fills out and the rim of the bag forms a cone for the bag to stand upright. When it's empty, it lies flat and can be folded/rolled up to about 1/6th the size for easy storage. It gets out of the way when it's not needed. I usually do this right before I go through TSA security, etc. Very handy. In addition, because it's shape is moldable because it's a bag, this bottle fits better in different places than, say, a traditional Nalgene bottle. I have a sling bag that I carry a small camera and a few lenses in when I travel and a traditional bottle doesn't fit well in the front exterior pocket without putting a lot of pressure on my internal gear. Not a problem with this bottle as the sizes aren't rigid. Think of it like a waterbed, if it's not filled to the brim, the water can be displaced where needed. Super cool.

The holder/carry ring is reinforced and is smooth and laceration-free. Some cheaper rings can have rough mold points that can cause irritations. Not here. You can carabiner it to your pack if you wish, but the sloshing and jostling from your movement will likely drive you nuts, so it's best to think of it as a single-finger carry loop or a place to hang it while in camp, etc.

They offer these in a screw lid and a sports top style lid. I prefer the former. The later is like a dishwashing liquid lid - you pull it up and it squirts, clamp it down and it stops. That version also has a snap on cap that keeps crud from getting of the valve which you'll likely put your mouth on. That cap is too easy to lose and for me, the valve doesn't give you a high volume of output. The simple screw-on cap works best. The cap SCREWS on and the wider mouth allows for more water faster. It's also one less finicky part to clean.

Bonus: fill it with hot water in camp and toss it into your sleeping bag as a hot water bottle bag warming option, or stick it in your clothes to do the same.

If you are on the go and you're looking for something that's light, moldable, durable, and gets out of the way when needed, this is the best bottle I've used. The only cons I've encountered are:

1. As you get really low on water/liquid, the bag can have a hard time standing on it's own
2. The clear plastic has a tendency to turn yellowish over time - esp. in dusty environments like the western US and Africa. It never really washes out.
3. Not as easy to clean out as Nalgene due to the small opening
4. Can be punctured easier than a hard plastic bottle - keep it away from open flames and knives and you're fine.

That's about it. It's a solid product and they make smaller volumes that are in colored plastic which might hold up to discoloration better. However, they are sharper on the welded seams and not as easy to hold in my view.

For the money, this is a great investment and it's at the top of my list for recommended bottles to travel with internationally.

Platypus is aces in my book. I go through about one a year, but that's with lots of heavy use. They've never failed me once. I just get a new one after a while because I want to.

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Travel, July 11, 2010
This review is from: Platypus PlusBottle (Sports)
I bought this to use primarily during air travel. It packs down nicely into a carry-on when empty. I have it filled as soon as I board the plane and have water for the whole trip. Once empty it packs back into my carry on. Particularly nice for long international flights. This seems to be made of solid materials and should stand up well.