Play-Doh Sweet Shoppe Frosting Fun Bakery Playset
Price:$14.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon January 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Play-Doh Sweet Shoppe Bakery Playset promises to allow kids to make delicious looking play-doh treats with frosting on them, but does it really live up to the expectations that it sets?

PROS:

-The kit is easy to assemble. It does come in pieces but even my 8 year old daughter was able to put it together fairly easily.
-The accessories are fun. They have many different accessories, including a plate, knife, fork, and a serving knife.
-Excellent use of space. One thing that Play-Doh does well is to make the most of the space each toy has. With this kit they've put all sorts of different little molds all around the kit, including underneath storage areas. Nicely done Play-Doh!
-Play-Doh Plus - with this kit Play-Doh is focusing on their newest concoction: Play-Doh Plus! Play-Doh Plus is exactly like regular Play-Doh only it is much softer. When I first handled it I immediately thought of a soft sugar cookie dough, and my daughter agreed. It is, however, a bit stickier than regular Play-Doh.

CONS:

-CLEAN UP! The clean up stinks! I know the clean up for almost any Play-Doh toy is annoying, but this one was particularly bad. The extruder was the most annoying to clean out - not only did you have to clean out the large plastic piece and the replaceable tip, you also had to clean out the plunger and because it's twisted inside we had to use a toothpick :(.
-It definitely doesn't work as advertised. The instructions tell you to place the treat you've made under the extruder and to press down. We did and yes, we got some Play-Doh out but in no way were we able to turn the little table to get the "frosting" on the outside of the cake. The only way we could do that was to take the extruder out and to manually do it.
-The extruder would be very hard for a young child to push down. My 8 year old had to struggle with it for a few minutes before being able to do it, so I have no idea how a 3 or 4 year old could do it!

THE VERDICT:

While I loved the idea of this set, and my daughter was looking forward to playing with it, both of us walked away from our play time disappointed. Play-Doh needs to figure out how to make things that younger children can easily use and that can be cleaned up a LOT easier than this one was!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 4, 2012
Play-doh has sure been around forever; and even way back in my childhood, we had the "extruder" sets with the sliding bar to make different shapes. Loved them then...but, boy, have they jazzed up their extruder playsets over the years. I bought this one on sale at a local big-box discount store for a friend's child. She loved it and spent lots of time making and decorating various cakes and cookies and then slicing us all samples to pretend "eat." It's a great combination of good, squishy Play-doh fun along with making your own delectable-looking "desserts." You can cut out your cake or cookie shape with regular Play-doh; but I recommend sticking with the Play-Doh Plus for decorating your pretend treats. It's softer and makes it much easier to form the swirls, flowers, etc. on top of your masterpieces.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon January 13, 2013
My daughter is 3 years old and has always enjoyed Play Doh... she also loves cup cakes, so what could be more perfect than the Play Doh Frosting and Fun Bakery Playset. While it is fun we have found a few things that could be improved. First of all there are lots of accessories, but there are not lots of places to store them. Also, clean-up has always been one of the complaints about Play-Doh, but it worse with the Frosting Fun Bakery Set. There are lots of nooks and crannies where the Play Doh gets stuck in - so in reality the clean-up of this Play Doh set may be worse than actually making cupcakes!

Features

- Comes 4 small cans of play doh - standard brown and purple and special frosting style can of pink and yellow.

- Has a cake decorating tool that can be used in as a press or as a stand-alone tool

- A variety of shapes can be made into cookies star, hearts, flower, and others

- 4 special cake decorating tips are included

- As mentioned, clean-up is a bit of a pain

- Lots of accessories, but they the set does not have built in storage for them all.

- Lots of indentions built in that can be used for a variety of goodies and special toppings.

- The toy is rated for children 3 and up - and that may be a bit conservative.... I think most 3 year olds can use it, but it is probably better suited for kids 4 and up.

FInal Verdict - The Play Doh Frosting Fun Bakery Set is a fun toy that will allow your child to make a variety of good looking treats (minus all of the calories for all of us parents!) There are some negatives, and the clean-up is certainly one of them, but if you can get past that this is a toy that is likely to bring smiles.

4 Stars
VINE VOICEon May 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So I get the feeling that if this had ever gone home with one of the Play-Doh design engineers for a week it would have gotten a major rework prior to release. The idea is great and it works so-so for the kids but most everything the parents care about could use some work!

Kids love the idea of this set!

The play-doh is hard to use with the set though... it's hard to get even close the results on the box. The extruder is difficult for me to use effectively and my kids just get frustrated really easily with it not working for them.

This play-doh seems to mix more easily than most sets, which works great for the first pressing and the second when the kids think rainbow colors are cool, but after that it's just a mess.

Speaking of mess it's almost impossible to clean until after the play-doh has dried in the cracks and can be shaken out.

and finally... IT WON'T GO BACK IN THE BOX?!?!? I have this large play-doh toy that doesn't go back in the box and doesn't compact or fold up any or hold all of it's own parts to sit in the closet? Huh?!?! Who thought about that one?

All in all this is great the first time you set it up and then it goes down hill in a hurry. I don't recommend it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I gave this set to my 3 1/2 year old to play with while stuck in a hotel room waiting for renovations on our house to get done. My son loved it! BUT, I wouldn't go so far as to presume it was this amazing set that he loved. Rather, he got to play with Play-Doh!

The set was easy to put together, no real issues here. My son loved all of the little presses and shapes. He especially loved the extractor where you could push the dough through. My son played with this set for a long time and didn't get bored.

The problems are this:

- Difficult to clean up; the doh gets stuck everywhere. The shape presses are so tiny it's difficult to get the doh out even when playing with it. Best to let it dry, or put the pieces in the sink with warm water.

- The extractor doesn't work well. The tips kept coming off every time we pushed the doh through. It worked best with Play-doh Plus that's much softer.

- Not a big fan of Play-doh Plus. It's a softer doh but it's difficult to get out of the little shape cutters and such; get it in your carpet and good luck!

- Would have preferred the set to break back down and fit into the box for storage reasons. As it is, once put together it won't go back into the box.

Overall . . . I could really pass on this set. I prefer giving the kids bigger shape cutters and using Colorations® Wheat & Gluten-Free Dough (so much better and longer lasting than Play-Doh). I find Play-Doh dries out so quick. However, my son did love this set.
on March 22, 2013
My daughter was so excited to play with this. Nothing worked as we hoped. The frosting tip of the extruder popped right off whether we twisted or pushed the plunger. There is a small molding tray to make fun shapes for your cookies etc... once you put play-doh into those trays you can't get out the shape without destroying it. So now we can't make frosting or shapes using the "playset". Everything had to be made manually. We may as well have not even had the "playset". The only redeeming quality is the Play-Doh plus was very soft and easy to use but the included containers were teeny tiny. This is only the third review I have ever written - I purposely came on to make sure folks knew what a disappointment this product is.
VINE VOICEon February 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It is always so much fun to see what Play-Doh comes out with next with their playsets. I always loved play-doh as a child and have had so much fun reliving that love with my children. This Sweet Shoppe Frosting Fun Bakery set has so many different play options as far as creating and creativity go. As soon as I received this, my 10 year old daughter, 6 year old son and I all sat down to check it out. There are several molds built in to the main play area (so nice since you don't have to worry about losing them!) and there are different types of "tips" to use to make different types of goodies and decorating, as well as shapes, a display stand, serving platter and serving device. Another item that I loved in this playset is the "special" play-doh that is used for frosting. It is so soft and smooshy. Very easy to work with and so much fun. One problem that I have discovered with these different play-doh sets is that it is often difficult to clean out the play-doh from the play pieces. With this set, however, it is not overly frustrating. My finger (and children's fingers) easily fit within the pieces to sweep out all of the compound without must frustration. This is a big plus for me! As far as amount of fun, all three of us have spent a large bit of time sitting and playing together with this, creating and seeing who can come up with the most creative and mouth-watering looking sweets. If you are or know of someone who loves Play-Doh, this is a set that I would recommend picking up, it will provide hours of creative fun!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 5 year old son had a great time with this set. It took about 5 minutes to snap everything in place from out of the box, and he was up and 'baking' in no time. This set does come with a limited amount of Play-Doh (enough for one child to play with, but certainly not two), but I have a 12 pack of extra Play-Doh on hand for rainy days, so I just grabbed a couple of those as extras.

My only gripe about this would be the frosting tube. The design is ridiculous. The plunger part (the piece that pushes down on the Play-Doh in the tube to make the frosting) has a spiral design which allows the dough to squeeze up and get caked around the spirals, wasting dough. Why the plunger isn't just a straight, solid piece that pushes down on the dough is beyond me. It makes absolutely no sense to have it spiraled.

Other than that, my son loved it and played with it for a good two hours before moving on. I tend to put the Play-Doh sets away so he doesn't get tired of them, and break them out as a treat for an otherwise boring day. For fifteen bucks, it's not a bad toy to have on hand. I do recommend picking up an extra pack of Play-Doh though. You can find some great deals here on Amazon.
on April 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 6 year old daughter had been begging for this item for months because she loves Play-doh. My husband and I didn't think she would actually play with it for more than a few minutes and then move on to other things. We also expected to find plastic pieces or chunks of Play-doh under out feet constantly. We were quite surprised to find her continuously playing with it and taking care of it like it was gold. The only incident we had with it was she thought it would be funny to make something and put it on her older brothers plate of food. He, without looking, grabbed it and ate it. LOL The look on his face was priceless. My husband, daughter and I laughed for a long time on that one. But now, we all look at our plate to make sure she doesn't to it again to any of us.
on January 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Kids take to Play-Doh like a duck takes to water, the play sets also, and this one was no exception. It is a cute set to make cakes with regular play-doh, and then this new "squishy" doh to "frost" the cakes with. The new stuff is much softer than regular play-doh, so it goes through the extruders much easier. That being said, it also falls apart easier and is a bit harder to clean up. I wish they would have provided larger tubs of the play-doh with the set, it just has two minis of regular and two minis of play-doh plus (the squishy one). The set kept the kids entertained, but we did have to buy more play-doh to go with it. Having to buy more doh is probably why they only give you minis with the set.

See 1 answered question