PlayStation 2 Console Slim - Black
Edition: BlackChange
Price:$174.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Edition: Black
For all of you clueless adults out there: you must purchase a memory card or the kids can't save their games and have to start over from the very beginning, which can be tedious. My daughter played continuously for hours on end, sleepy-eyed even in the day or so following Christmas (before we purchased a memory card), simply because when she turned the game off, it would be lost forever. Save your children. Buy a memory card.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2007
Edition: Black
I bought one of the old PS2 systems when it came out and it worked very well. It was my DVD player as well as my video game console. When I went on vacation I accidentally left it on and it fried. After five good years of service, it finally died.

I had to buy a replacement and so I bought the slimmer version. It works just as well as the other one did and takes up a lot less space on my TV stand. It plays all my games and my DVDs, so I am very satisfied with this Sony product.

I refuse to buy a PlayStation 3 just because I refuse to spend a great wad of cash for a video game console. And with the new Black and White PS3 systems that are being released in November which do not feature PlayStation 2 compatibility, I don't see why I should buy a PS3 right now when it means I'd have to keep my PlayStation 2 just to play my PS2 games is pointless.

If you're looking for a good game system for a low price, buy the PlayStation 2, it's very good for games and DVDs, especially since WII doesn't play DVDs.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 12, 2007
Edition: Black
Wow ... I was amazed at the size of this console. It's about the size of a trade paperback book, and actually weighs less (1.3 lbs)... in other words it's very small. I purchased the $4.99 upright base from Amazon and I can hardly see this black PS2 across my room.

The network adapter on the PS2 and network startup disk that is included, worked perfect and was very easy to follow. For me, I just purchased a 50' CAT-5 ethernet from Amazon ($11.50)and ran it along my baseboards from my DSL router to the PS2 and had things up and running in about 10 minutes.

I am very pleased with this console's quality and functionality, the selection of PS2 games, and the nice selection of on-line games available. I would highly recommend this console and gaming system for those on a budget and anyone for that matter! Enjoy!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Edition: Black
Within the past year, I've purchased the Wii and the Xbox 360 for my family. My wife loves the excercise titles on the Wii and DDR titles on both consoles. My 7-year old and her friends love the Wii Sports and other kids games. I enjoy the superior graphics and gaming experience on the 360. I am planning to get a PS3 next year. I had never even considered purchasing the PS2. Like some of the reviewers that one-starred the PS2, I wondered why it was even on the market anymore when there's superior gaming consoles available these days.
Well, my little brother still has his PS2, so I would play it sometimes when I went to his house. Although the games certainly don't have the same quality graphics and sound as the 360 or PS3 obviously, I realised I still had a blast playing them. I noticed that most PS2 games sell for really cheap on Amazon, so I picked up a few games to take over with me to his place when I would visit. I love classic fighting games, so I was very pleased to find the Street Fighter collections and King of Fighter series on the PS2. Not to mention Soul Calibur 2 & 3 along with several Tekken and Mortal Kombat titles. Playstation 1 games are also fully compatible with no problems. You've also got the classic GTA titles, God of War 1 & 2, Castlevania (two 3D releases and two 2D titles via PS1 compatibility), Jaws, and the list goes on. My wife was excited to find out there are eight DDR titles on the PS2 and my kid loves the Eye-Toy games. To top it off, there are retro game collections from Capcom, Namco, Taito, Midway, etc. featuring games from the 90's that I loved playing as a kid. That's just the beginning of a huge library of thousands of PS2 games available and thousands more via PS1 backward compatibility. That was enough to sell us. It's been three months since we got the PS2 and we love it and play it just as much as the other systems. The other great thing is that we've been able to bulk up our PS2 game library at only a fraction of the cost of the other two consoles. This particular PS2 model is lightweight and comparatively small to other consols.
Now I know why Sony is still shipping PS2s and why people are still buying them even after a decade; It still delivers a high-quality gaming experience which is not too far away from the 360 and PS3, and it does so at a lower cost. I think the only people who wouldn't like the PS2 in this day and age are die-hard gamers who demand nothing less than the best current 7th-gen graphics and online experience. For lighter gamers such as myself and for families who are looking for alternate gaming entertainment besides the Wii, the PS2 has a lot to offer.
Suggestions: If you have an HDTV with progressive scan, there are several PS2 titles that support that format when using a component cable. You just press the X and delta buttons simultaneously when starting up the game. For a better picture quality, use an S-Video or component cable. Also, if you plan on getting Playstation 1 games, you will need to get PS1 memory cards as the PS2 memory cards don't work with PS1 games.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 13, 2008
Edition: Black
After ten solid years, my original PlayStation 2 finally stopped reading discs -- the optical drive failed. I was a little wary about replacing my trusty machine with the newest super-thin PlayStation 2 because it looked like I could break it if I held it too tight. My fears have been totally obliterated. This version of the PS2 not only has all of the features of the the previous versions but comes in a much more stylish package that is strong and durable -- the ultra-thin case makes for easier integration into a home theatre's entertainment centre, the IR (infra-red) port on the front makes use of a remote control (for DVD functions) a brain-free exercise, and the top-load disc drive is much more friendly than the tray-load drive that had a tendency to stick or fail entirely. I wouldn't recommend throwing out a working PS2 in favor of getting this version, but if you are in need of a new PS2 for any reason, then this is the version you want to get.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Edition: Black
I waited ten (10) years to upgrade from my PS-one to a PS2. I thought about the PS3, but could not justify the added expense. The PS2 has great graphics and reaction. I bought this just to play God of War (which is awesome). This system is a great deal for only $125. Throw in a $25 Sony memory card and you are in business. The games are cheap and there a ton of them available. It also has playback capability, which the PS3 does not, unless you were able to get one of the 60GB models which are now no longer available. This would still be great for kids who are cool enough to be able to live without the latest and most expensive model. Maybe in 10 years I'll look to upgrade to the PS3.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2010
Edition: Black
Pros:

* access to the extensive PS2 catalog, including many classics (Metal Gear Solid series, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War 1 & 2, &c)

* backwards compatibility with the PS1, for even more classics

* games for PS and PS2 are far less expensive than PS3 or XBox 360 games, and PS2 accessories are commonly available used

* getting both a PS3 Slim and a PS2 Slim + accessories is now cheaper than finding a backwards-compatible PS3, and you're guaranteed 100% compatibility...don't waste your money tracking down the elusive PS3 60GB.

* cheaper even than the Wii, making the PS2 possibly the best bang-for-buck deal in gaming

Cons:

* a previous-generation console, so no new games coming out for it (just the current huge & excellent catalog)

* graphics aren't as good as latest-generation consoles

* definitely not HD

* still requires memory cards (backwards-compatible PS3 can create as many virtual PS2 memory cards as the hard drive can hold)

* Controllers use their own odd connectors, not standard USB like the PS3

Comments:

Thank God for Sony not abandoning its (excellent) PS2 library like Nintendo has largely done for its classic consoles. You won't get the latest and greatest, but you'll have a selection of many excellent time-tested games, and having a cheaply available PS2 makes the newer non-backwards-compatible PS3s not seem so bad.
on February 20, 2014
Edition: BlackVerified Purchase
I just got my PS2 Slim in yesterday and I am blown away. I was cautious that these were still advertised as brand new with Prime shipping. It is almost too good to be true. Thankfully the unit I received was brand new. It felt like I had just gone down to BestBuy and picked up a new console. The box was dust free as was everything inside. If you are looking for a brand new PS2 this is a great place to pick one up!

The PS2 first came out in the year 2000 - now 14 years later you can still get one.

So onto the actual console. I managed to hook it up to my projector and receiver last night and it still holds up. Star Wars - Starfighter still looks great - it's no PS4, but the graphics have aged very gracefully and don't look as bad as I was expecting. The optical audio output is welcome for if I ever use this as a DVD player.

The slim design is built to last. It has the top loading drive like the near indestructible Nintendo GameCube and has plenty of fan ports to avoid over heating. I grew up with the PS2 and N64 - so I do miss that original more future looking PS2, but the slim being more future proof has me enjoying it.

Using a brand new PS2 has me shocked and awed ... in a good way. I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend others pick one up while they still can! These stopped production in January of 2013 so I'd imagine supplies will dry up fairly soon.
Edition: Black
This system is a must have! This of all the games released for the PS2. These games can be had now at 30% their original price and many of them are still a wonder to see and play. The system may be 10 years old, but it carries its weight even now. We have two of them in our house. One is hooked up to the big screen TV (Thats right ...it looks great on the HD TV.) and one in my office. The kids play the PS2 more that the Wii and more than the PS3 (Both of which are connected to the big screen) Why?, Well some smart guy once said "Its all about the games." and that is very true, but it is also about balance. PS2 was easier and more cost effective to produce games for, and thus has a multitude of games developed for it. It also has a buit in DVD player. The only thing that the PS2 is lacking is online network (Next Gen concept) that was not around when the PS2 was developed...so this means no Achievements or Trophies to brag about with your friends. Still, you get a grewat gaming system for a fraction of the current generation systems, with an enormous game library! You just can't go wrong! I love my PS2
P.S Did I mention that is plays PS1 games as well?
on February 24, 2008
Edition: Black
I haven't played video games since the early eighties on, what at the time, was the game console to have. The Atari. Thought it was time to get with the times. I am so amazed at how far games have come and this is a great/affordable system. The temptation was to get the PS3. However it's a bit expensive and for someone getting back into video games I didn't see the need for all the bells and whistles right now. Plus the games a lot more expensive than PS2.
The unit is small and streamline and plays DVD's very well.
I would recommend this system to any 'oldie' like myself who wants to step into the 21st century of gaming.