4.0 out of 5 stars Clearing the confusion
First of all, let me give my credentials so people understand that I know what I'm talking about:
-I know a lot about computers, and take great interest in technology.
-I have been a Playstation owner since 1997, and bought a PS2 just this year.
-I have played MANY Playstation games, as well as PS2 games.
-I have used several peripherals on both the...
Published on September 17, 2001 by Jacob King

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit Item Being Sold
I purchased this memory card because I have decided to go back to my PS2 to finish a few games that have been backlogged for far too long. Upon receiving this item though I realized that quality was lacking and did not remotely resemble my old cards. The thing is a different plastic, there are extra guide slots where the contact pins are, and the ultimate telltale signs:...
Published 9 months ago by Zer00verride

4.0 out of 5 stars Clearing the confusion, September 17, 2001
Jacob King (South Bend, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)
-I know a lot about computers, and take great interest in technology.
-I have been a Playstation owner since 1997, and bought a PS2 just this year.
-I have played MANY Playstation games, as well as PS2 games.
-I have used several peripherals on both the PS1 and PS1, including the 128k and 8MB memory cards.
So, hopefully you believe me when I say that I know what I'm talking about.
With all of that out of the way, I would like to clear up a LOT of confusion. I have read many reviews on here. Most of them completely contradict the review that came right before it. Unfortunately, it seems that many people are just making things up off the top of their head, without having any real first-hand experience.
So, just what is the PS2 memory card capable of, and what is it compatable with? That's what I'm here to tell you.
First of all, the PS2 card has an 8MB capacity. It reportedly transfers data 200 times faster than the original PS memory card. Well, I haven't actually used a stopwatch, but it's true that the PS2 card saves and loads much faster.
Does the PS2 card work for PS1 games? Absolutely not. I've tried this with several PS1 games, testing them in both my PS1 console and PS2 console. Not a single PS1 game was able to tell that a memory card was even inserted in the slot. So, please disregard anyone who tells you otherwise.
Does the PS1 card work for PS2 games? Again, a big fat NO. Think about it. Forget about weather or not PS2 games is able to to use the card. The important issue is the size of the files versus the size of the card. Most of the files on my PS2 card range from 300 to 600k, which is 3-6 times the capacity of the card. Just forget about it.
One point of clarification I would like to make: the PS2 DOES recognise PS1 cards, but only if you are playing a PS1 game.
That should pretty much clear up any misconception.
As for my opinion of the PS2 card, I'll give it to you short and sweet: It's an essential part of the Playstation. As I said, it is very fast with its saves and loads.
My one problem with this peripheral is the price. I payed an easy $30 for one of these things in a discount store. COME ON! It's only 8 Megs! I know that Sony has to manufacture these things specially, but think about this: memory has gotten remarkably cheaper.
If you were to try to sell 8 Megs of RAM, you'd be lucky to get a dollar for it.
An 8 Meg hard drive? Forget about it. 50 cents, tops.
7 floppy disks give about 8 megs, and 7 floppies cost around 4 dollars.
See what I'm getting at? I'm sure that there is a way to make these things cost much less than they do.
But, like I said, it's an essential part of the Playstation.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS1 games use PS1 memory card, PS2 games use PS2 memory card, October 30, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)
It's really quite simple.
If you want to save a PS2 game, you need this PS2 memory card -- PS1 memory cards won't work. If you are playing a PS1 game on your PS2, you must also have a PS1 memory card; PS1 games can't be saved to a PS2 memory card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, but a lot of power!, November 28, 2000
Mark Madsen (West Hollywood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)
This memory card should not be called an accessory because it is an essential. It will cost you a few extra dollars, but it will allow you to enjoy your games more fully since this device will enable you to go more into depth and get as much as you can out of each game. You do not have to restrict yourself to just 1 memory card per game since it hold 8 megs of memory (this is a whole lot of memory). The only games that will take a good chunk of that memory are sports games if you run a simulated season (they generally will take up around 1 to 1 1/2 megs of your memory). Besides that, if you are not into sports you could save files from a small library of PS2 games onto one card! Another great aspect is that the card is efficient. It is very fast, meaning that you will not have to wait long at all in order to load your saved files, save new files, and delete ones that you think you will no longer need. This is a must have if you have a PS2 because without it, you're missing out on a true gaming experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes!, October 28, 2000
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)
The other reviews here are confusing so let me set it straight. You can use your PS1 memory cards in the PS2. You can only use the PS1 memory cards to save PS1 games that you are playing in your PS2. You can't save any PS2 game data to a PS1 memory card.
Now, on to the card itself. It's quick loading/saving and Sony isn't going to [take advantage of] you like Sega does with their VMU's. Saying that it holds 200 blocks of memory then you get NFL2k1 and to save a game takes up 190 blocks. Well, looks like you won't be saving anything else on that card. Not the case with the PS2 Cards. Madden 2001 only takes up around 300k of save space. Of course future games could take up more, but I don't think we'll ever see a season save in Madden taking up 7 megabytes. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars straight and simple, December 8, 2000
Matt Novack (La Mesa, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's fast, it has lots of space and it's really cool., August 11, 2001
"icebreakervfx" (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)
The Official 8MB Memory card is the best card of choice for the PS2. Although early Japanese productions of the card had some defects, reliability is far better now. Although other companies have official MagicGate technology memory cards, they are still not as good as the original Sony model. The MagicGate technology is the same as the Memory Sticks sony makes, so that explains the high price.
**Frankly, there's a reason you can't save PSOne games on this card: the file format is different. It's like the difference between a CD-Rom and a DVD-Rom. The file structure is too different for PSOne games to save onto. It just doesn't work

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy and well worth the cost., May 24, 2001
"thaeral" (Brunswick, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)
A very simple product. It's an 8 megabyte memory card for read/write capability for the Playstation 2 (PS2). This is an essential item for the PS2. When I initially got mine, I didn't buy one of these. A brain lapse, perhaps, but it was really annoying to have to throw away any progress I made in a game because I didn't have one of these.
This is definitely more expensive than memory cards for other systems, but it is legitimately so. Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast cards have far less capacity to save game data than this. They describe them as "pages" rather than a standard measurment as MB (megabyte) is. But just to give you an example, NFL2K1 saved season take up 90% of ONE Dreamcast memory card. Madden on the PS2 takes up 300K out of the 8,192K available on this Sony memory card.
When I originally ordered this, I bought 2 of them. I thought it would be just like the Dreamcast and N64 and that I'd need several. Not even close to filling the first card up so far with saved data (in some cases up to 8 separate saves in one game) from 8 different games.
Aside from its performance, the card itself is small, light, and sturdy. There is even a place to put a label on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best PS2 Memory Card Out There!, February 25, 2002
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)
I recently purchased a PS2 sometime in January. I also purchased InterAct's 16MB memory card. The card didn't work with any games I own, even after I used the Memory Manager disc. I returned the card and purchased the Sony brand 8MB memory card. I am totally satisfied with this memory card. It is fast, reliable, and the PS2 works great with it. I don't know why I bought a third party brand card. Nyko also makes an 8MB memory card that I have heard works very well with the PS2, but buy the Sony one and rest assured that you won't have to go through any trouble with it. This product is GREAT!

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN'T save PS2 games on a PS1 memory card, October 17, 2000
Kyle J Bolin (Bloomington, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)
Okay. I don't know where some of these people are getting information, but the PS2 is NOT coming bundled with a memory card, and you will only be able to use your original memory card to save PSX games. In order to save PS2 games, you have to have the new 8MB memory card.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have one if you have a PS2, December 31, 2000
Cainz "cainz" (Lops Angeles, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) (Accessory)
If you plan on building your PS2 library, you MUST buy one of these to save games. These PS2 memory cards will only work with PS2 games, and you can't use the old memory cards to save PS2 games. In addition, it should be noted the premium price of this memory card (as opposed to other third party manufacturers or makers of PS2 memory cards) is well worth it. I found that I would run into problems (inconsistencies, lost files, etc.) when using memory cards made by others. Pay the extra and get the Sony.

PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB)
PlayStation 2 Memory Card (8MB) by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation2)
$24.99 $14.99