5.0 out of 5 stars Want a backwards compatible PS3? This is the one to get.
Once considered the red-headed stepchild of Sony's large, confusing fleet of Playststion 3 models, the news that new models of the PS3 will contain no PS2 compatibility gives this model some extra appeal.

Published on September 7, 2008 by John Larson

2.0 out of 5 stars ps3 20gb honest review from solid gamer
Published on December 17, 2006 by C. lapointe

5.0 out of 5 stars Want a backwards compatible PS3? This is the one to get., September 7, 2008
John Larson (Cave Creek, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)

Just like the 60GB model, this system has full hardware backwards compatibility and will play the vast majority of PS2 games very well. Replaying Metal Gear Solid 3 on the system, there was noticeable improvement in some of the game's loading from my old PS2, and the game looked great upscaled over HDMI.

There are three drawbacks I can think of with this model- which are easily addressed for the most part.

1. The 20GB Hard drive fills up very quickly on the PS3, even if you're just using the system for gaming and not as a media hub. The game I purchased with the system, Metal Gear Solid 4 took up 4.5 GB on it's own. Thankfully, it's cheap and simple to drop a much larger SATA laptop drive into the system.

2. This is the only Playstation 3 model that does NOT include built-in Wi-Fi and Sony doesn't have an officially supported adapter. That's a pretty big drawback since so many of the PS3's cool features are online. A gaming ethernet bridge does a pretty good job of taking care of this.

3. No media card slots- I can't plug a compact flash card into my PS3 like the 60GB models can... oh, wait. Why would I want to plug media cards into my system anyways? If I did, it would be as simple as buying a $6 hub.

So, if you want a system that plays all your Playstation games and have a wired internet connection, I highly suggest giving this PS3 model a look. It doesn't fetch the premium price that the 60GB units currently are and its drawbacks are easily addressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbiased Review from someone who has all 3, November 18, 2006
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)
We got our hands on an XBox 360, a PS3, and a Wii on launch day. Each is good at specific tasks. Here is a fully unbiased review of how the PS3 performs as a next generation console unit.

To start with, the PS3, like the XBox 360, supports full high definition. The Wii only supports a lower resolution. Since the Wii has a much lower price tag, that is a fair trade-off for people with a tighter budget. Gamers for whom a very high level of graphic detail is important will have to pony up for that ability.

Along the same lines, the XBox 360 supports the HD format of high definition DVDs for movies, while the PS3 supports the Blu-ray format. If you haven't been following the whole format war for high definition DVDs, I have several articles on the topic on my gaming site. In short it's like the VHS/Beta wars when the VCR first came out. Is one better than the other? Will one format win out as the sole survivor? There's no way to tell. People will argue vehemently that one is better than the other. From a gaming point of view, the PS3 has the Blu-ray BUILT IN meaning every game can have 50 GIGS worth of game information. Think MASSIVELY huge maps, types of characters, etc. The XBox 360 only uses "regular" DVDs as its base game holder, which is 7 GIG. That is much smaller. You can buy an add-on HD DVD unit for about $100 but the storage is still smaller than Blu-ray - about 30 gig.

People will argue about graphics until they're blue :) A lot of this comes down to how a specific game company *uses* the ability of the system. Looking at graphics on a tetris-like game will be much different than viewing the graphics of Oblivion or Gears of War. I found 360 graphics amazing on Oblivion. I equally found the PS3 graphics quite impressive on Genji's cut scenes (no enemy crabs in sight). Since both are high definition, I think that both have the same potential in real life terms. Both really shine in terms of fluid motion, precise detail and realism. I've seen it on both systems, on certain games. I've also seen junky graphics on both systems. Both are much better than the Wii.

How about sound? All of these can plug into your stereo system. My boyfriend and I are both musicians. We have decibel meters and other sound-sensing tools. All three systems can create amazingly complex sounds, music, and in general a "gaming environment". Again I think it comes down to specific game makers, how they choose to use or not use that ability. It also comes down to how much you the gamer spent on your stereo system :)

Speaking of sound, I do have to comment that our 360 is quite loud when it runs, despite our many attempts to help it be quieter. The PS3 right out of the box is MUCH quieter. Score 1 point for the PS3.

On the general operating system for the units, all three consoles are going for more of a "general use entertainment system" presentation. The XBox has customizeable tabs that let you download new games, manage your environment and so on. The Wii also has channels that let you organize your gaming world. The PS3 has an interface almost exactly like that of the PSP, complete with cool drifting smoke waves in the background. You choose which area you want to work on - game, music, internet connection etc., and drop down to alter whatever feature you're interested in.

So on to the on-line aspect, which most gamers are now fully interested in. Where the XBox 360 makes you buy an external connector for wireless, the PS3 has that built-in on the 60 gig model. The 20 gig model still requires an external connector (these run about $100). All will let you plug in a cable if you're still running a wired household.

As a side comment on that, the XBox 360 has a 20 gig hard drive. However, they take up about 12 gig of that with their base system. So really you get 8 gig "free" for other things. Now, 8 gig might sound like a lot. But I still remember when the PS2 first came out and everyone was raving about the 8mb memory cards, how you could never possibly fill one of those up. We now have 8 memory cards and all are pretty much full. I have no doubt that 8 gig or even 20 gig is going to fill quickly. With the PS3 you at least do have that option for the 60 gig and it is really worth it. With the 360 your only option is to get an add-on drive to in essence back up the content you're not currently using and free up the main drive.

How does the online world work on the PS3? The XBox definitely has the advantage here. Until this generation, *only* the XBox had a thriving community in their live world. The XBox 360 connected right into that XBox Live world, and they boast a *huge* community of gamers who actively gain points, play online and form virtual worlds. The PS3 and Wii both have to play catch-up at this point. Even if they have better interfaces, it's a matter of converting over all those players who have clans, familiarity and high point collections on the XBox world. Imagine if a new MMORPG came out right now that had fantastic graphics. Sure it might be wonderful - but will you really get all 800 trillion WOW players to drop their world and characters and friends to convert, especially if it costs more? It'll be a hard, slow sell.

My summary? I definitely think all three have great games and that all three are worth owning. Of course I'm in a position that I *can* afford all three, which many people are not in. For example, I *love* the Zelda series, and I *love* the Final Fantasy series. I would be hard put to tell a person "you need to get Zelda instead of Final Fantasy". I would want the person to have both, because both are great for different reasons. If you really truly can only save up for one of the three consoles this holiday season, it isn't going to come down to which console is "best" for all players in some sort of a global way. It is going to come down to which console is best for YOU based on your specific gaming style.

If you're on a really tight budget and just want something better than the previous generation, go for a Wii. It's cheap, the graphics are better, and the remotes are great fun. It has Zelda :) If you have a larger budget and really want the high definition, you're now choosing between the 360 and the PS3. You really do have to look at the specifics of each, and think seriously about your gaming style, to see which matches you best. If I were to make a flip summarization, if you really love online gameplay, I'd go with the XBox 360. Its years of head-start really give it a robust environment here. If you are looking for more of a home-based media center for your MPs3, photos and huge world gameplay, I'd go with the PS3. It definitely has the advantage on large scale games.

Feel free to email me if you have more specific questions, or for screenshots, graphic descriptions, or interface information on any of the three systems.

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 gb is the real deal ., March 23, 2009
M. Texidor II (Rockland County,New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)
I'm gonna make this simple , the 20gb , 60gb , and early 80gb versions are the only ps3 models that support ps2 playback, only drawback on the 20gb is there is no built in WiFi .But ethernet allows faster downloads and wifi supposedly makes anything run hotter . I had a 40gb ps3 and its the same except obviously ps2 backwards compatibility and wifi. also there are 4 usb slots instead of 2. If you want ps2 support for your future ps3 get a original model ! But if you can care less get a 40gb , newer 80gb or 160gb .Its all about personal preference ! but get a ps3 .

2.0 out of 5 stars ps3 20gb honest review from solid gamer, December 17, 2006
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)
We are a family that plays games and enjoys them. The kids have theirs, my wife has hers and I have mine. We have a 360 and a ps2 and just returned (that's right... returned) our PS3 with a 20gb hard drive. I was very excited to get it and hooked it up with hdmi and network cables as soon as I got home and watched Ricky Bobby that night on blu-ray. The system froze twice while watching the movie and it would only display in 1080i or 480p (my tv looks best in 720p and the ps3 would not display this). We went to the online store and downloaded motorstorm and resistance as well as lemmings to try out. They all took an incredibly long time and the store was very slow to load even though we are connected via DSL.

Resistance was good but did not look as good as Gears of War on the 360. MotorStorm was fun but is not out yet and Lemmings was just interesting. A not-so-impressive opening lineup. I realized that I was waiting mainly for Lair to come out.

The system is cool... I really wanted to like it but the cons out-weigh the pros at this point. We downloaded update version 1.31 but that made no difference.

The Pros: Blu-Ray player, wireless controllers, nice touch sensitive disk eject, memory card reader for backwards compatibility.

The Cons: Poor launch line-up, glitches during blu-ray playback, awkward positioning of the R2 and L2 buttons underneath the controller (different than on the ps2), no replaceable battery in the controllers, short usb cable if controller battery dies, way too expensive to start out a new system, limited customization settings in the control panel, ps2 games looked awful displayed on the ps3

Overall: I really wanted to like this system and kept finding reasons to keep it but I finally boiled it down to what I really liked and not what I hoped to like. I ultimately prefer HD DVD to Blu Ray (I have the hd dvd player for my 360) and I think Xbox Live has Sony's online system beat. There are very few exclusive games for any one system now and I think the 360 coming out first made a difference. We enjoy the feel of the 360 better than the PS3.

I'm not saying we won't buy another one in a few months but I just couldn't see spending $600 (system and extra controller plus tax) right now when there are so many great games out there for the 360 that I could play now.

At one point I thought I'd just keep this for the kids and my eventual benefit as Sony continues updating and making it better through firmware upgrades... then I came down one morning to find the kids had hooked up their ps2 and used that instead of the ps3 (even though I had loaded everything from their memory cards on the ps3)... they just preferred the $100 ps2 to the $500 ps3... that was the final straw.

We packed it up and returned it to let some other person with money to burn to buy it.

I'll wait a few months before buying a PS3 again. Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, August 31, 2011
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)
It's a little slower then the later models, but only on a few things and it's not very noticeable. If you bring up a text window for instance, there's a slight delay, but gaming it's self is the same speed as the later systems.

Backwards compatibility more then makes up for this. When they first started selling PS1 and NES games on the PSN, everything looked all blocky, just like a jpg at 400%. So they came up with this new feature that smooths it all out. The feature is part of the PS3s updates if the system doesn't already come with it. Turn this feature on when playing PS2 games and they look darn near as good as PS3 games. I hate to say it but I doubt you're going to get the PS2 to put out as good a picture as it's games do on the PS3. Sony; who has been making almost nothing but bad decisions and paying dearly for them since the PS3 was first introduced, is foolish to have tossed that feature out on later models. It gives gamers a huge window of access to games and a reason to keep PS2 games in production.

There are still plenty of these in circulation but supply is going to eventually dry up. Get one while you can. It's a great investment.

BTW. Wi Fy SUCKS on the PS3, so don't make the mistake of thinking that getting one of these machines without it is such a grave loss. My last PS3 had built in wi fy and I nearly pulled my hair out fighting with it. I bet 90% of the bad things you hear about the PS3's online gaming is related to wi fy. I put in a hard line and 99% of the problems instantly disappeared.

Oh, and one last thing. When you first pop in a ps2 game and the first screen appears, press the center button on your controller so the controller will register analog. Otherwise, the PS2 game won't respond to the controller. I had to figure that out the hard way. Telling you now so you won't have to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting returned in record numbers, don't pay more than retail!, January 12, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)
Now that the prices on the secondary market have dropped to near retail price the systems are getting returned in record numbers and not just by the resellers, many are being returned by people who fell for the hype and realized that there is just not enough you can do with it right now.

There are really only a couple of games worth playing on the system right now, and really only one of those is PS3 specific, Resistance:Fall of Man. The Blu-Ray is nice but you might want to see how the battle shapes up in Blu-Ray VS. HD-DVD battle before you commit to the Blu-Ray format. This could be the Betamax vs VHS all over again and I would hate to think that in a couple of years time the Blu-Ray is dead and there fewer movies released in the Blu-Ray than HD-DVD. But by that time the price will have dropped and will be great gaming system even if Blu-Ray loses to HD-DVD.

If you do not plan to connect online with the system then I would recommend the 20GB system and you can purchase memory cards if needed. The abilty to use memory cards is still nice and many people with the 60GB system will be using them to. Very convenient to take a game save, on a memory card, over to a friends house. The 60GB is a must if you plan to connect online because there are plans for downloadable content, including games and additions to released games and the 20GB would fill up to fast, probably with one download. But to be honest the 60GB system is not going to be enough if you plan to download content frequently. I suspect you may even see a larger hard drive PS3 down the road, like a 200GB version, especially if the dowloadable content offered by Sony is a big success.

There is no reason to pay more than retail anymore. Considering there were about a fifth of the PS3s available compared to the WII, the PS3 secondary market prices are virtually the same and the WII retails for half of the PS3! PS3s are getting returned in record numbers. If you go to any of the mainstream retailers there is a good chance you will find a system or two waiting for you. Just stand around the service/returns counter and there is a very good chance you will see one returned right in front of you and many times they are still sealed because they are being returned by resellers. If you can I would wait a few months to buy one even if you find it at retail because there just is not enough to do with it right now(unless you've fallen hook line and sinker for Blu-Ray movies because the price is similar to a Blu-Ray player by itself). By this summer the games lineup should double and there will probably be a couple that make the purchase worth while.

The PS3 is still a recommended purchase but don't pay more than retail. Buy it as a Blu-Ray player now and second as a game console. Eventually the PS3 will be worth the purchase as a game console no matter how the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD battle turns out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Play Beyond $499 and up, November 18, 2006
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)
Make no mistake the PS3 is real. But so is the xbox 360 and Wii. Right now there are only a couple of reasons to have a PS3, Resistence: Fall of Man and the MotoStorm demo, had it not been for Gears of War Motostorm would set the graphical bar for execllence. If you have the cash and time by all means get one. But games are games whether they are on the 360, Wii, or PS3. Graphically the PS3 has good games. But if you compared the PS3 games to Gears of War on the 360 you'll see that its not just the hardware that makes graphics shine (the gfraphics in Gears gets better level after level - animations are great - gameplay is intense), but what developers are able to do with it. My suggestion to you if you have choose. Go to best buy, have them hook it up to a 50+ HDTV and compare. B/c if you get a PS3 or 360,you'll need to upgrade to get everything out of your new system. Good luck finding a PS3 ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good future for PS3, December 25, 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)
I just got the PS3 20gb last week and so far have been very impressed with it. I have a Toshiba HDa1 HD DVD player and now a PS3 and the picture quality on both is exceptional, I don't have a HDMI receiver so for right now the audio on the PS3 lacks a bit. The only game I've gotten is Resistance and it is very smooth and the details are amazing (I don't have an xbox 360 so I don't know how the graphics compare). I also like that you can download previews of games and test them before buying them. It is pricey and there aren't many games available at the moment but I think the future looks very good, I was going to wait a while to get the PS3 but found one in stock the other day and gave it a shot and haven't regretted it yet.

I gave the PS3 4 stars because it has some upscaling issues and still lacks games but is otherwise very impressive.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enduring Console and a Big Leap, March 3, 2014
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)
If you look at some of the titles that were released towards the beginning of the PlayStation 2's lifecycle and compare them to some of the PlayStation 3's later games like Uncharted 3, Tomb Raider and Skyrim, it really is hard to believe that they are only separated by one generation. The PlayStation 3 managed to stay around for so long because of the fantastic amount of quality games and innovative exclusives it had going for it.

This console features games in both 720p and 1080p commonly shown at 30-60 fps, it has Blu-Ray capabilities as well as USB media playback including audio and video (big plus). The PS3 also has a selection of both music and movie applications like Music Unlimited, Netflix, Vudu, Hulu and even more. At one point the PlayStation Move (Sony's motion sensing technology) was a point of emphasis but has since been backed down from.

The PS3 is relatively easy to set up, easy to use and offers great quality video and audio. While the XrossMediaBar has gotten a lot of criticism over the years, I personally never had a problem with it. The PS3 controller is much like the PS2's controller with the addition of a PS button, which takes you to a home menu, and the wireless function. One of the things the PS3 has had some problems with is loading games. In particular with titles like Metal Gear Solid 4, Grand Theft Auto V and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, as they are so large, they virtually max out the consoles capabilities.

All in all the PlayStation 3 has been a good gaming console and has had some truly fantastic games and exclusives, but as time passes by and as the PlayStation 4 gets more exposure I think it will be thought of as a fond memory with seemingly outdated graphic and processing capabilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars The future looks good for PS3, March 23, 2007
This review is from: PlayStation 3 (20GB) (Video Game)
Right now is very hard to tell which console is best, specially when most of the games you find for the PS3 are mostly 360 ports, both consoles have their pros and their cons, but one thing is for sure, both deliver the goods and both have high def graphics (some purists say that Blue Ray on a high end monitor or tv set looks better than HDDVD, dont't know, haven't see them both running to compare). One thing that favors the PS3 is the Blu Ray format, imagine what developers will do with dual 25gb of media space compared to 8gb of dvd media, that and free online play on Playstation Network.

PlayStation 3 (20GB)
PlayStation 3 (20GB) by Sony (PlayStation 3)
Used & New from: $179.00