2,393 of 2,751 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Unbiased Review from an Owner of All Three
We got our hands on an XBox 360, a PS3, and a Wii on launch day. Each is good at specific tasks. Here is a fully unbiased review of how the PS3 performs as a next generation console unit.

Published on November 18, 2006 by Lisa Shea

3.0 out of 5 stars Unbiased, non-fanboy review. No hype, just facts.
If you who are tired of sifting through the rubble to find the facts then please read this.

Just to preface; I am a long time videogamer and each new console launch disturbs me more and more. The fanboy hype and crap that is spewed makes if very hard to really judge a new console. This review is strictly my opinion based upon my hands-on time with the PS3...
Published on November 30, 2006 by Michael A. Conforti

2,393 of 2,751 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Unbiased Review from an Owner of All Three, November 18, 2006
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)

To start with, the PS3, like the XBox 360, supports full high definition. The Wii only supports a lower resolution. Since the Wii has a much lower price tag, that is a fair trade-off for people with a tighter budget. Gamers for whom a very high level of graphic detail is important will have to pony up for that ability.

Along the same lines, the XBox 360 supports the HD format of high definition DVDs for movies, while the PS3 supports the Blu-ray format. If you haven't been following the whole format war for high definition DVDs, I have several articles on the topic on my gaming site. In short it's like the VHS/Beta wars when the VCR first came out. Is one better than the other? Will one format win out as the sole survivor? There's no way to tell. People will argue vehemently that one is better than the other. From a gaming point of view, the PS3 has the Blu-ray BUILT IN meaning every game can have 50 GIGS worth of game information. Think MASSIVELY huge maps, types of characters, etc. The XBox 360 only uses "regular" DVDs as its base game holder, which is about 7 GIG. That is much smaller. You can buy an add-on HD DVD unit for about $100 (shop around - they're there at that price) but the storage is still smaller than Blu-ray - about 30 gig.

People will argue about graphics until they're blue :) A lot of this comes down to how a specific game company *uses* the ability of the system. Looking at graphics on a tetris-like game will be much different than viewing the graphics of Oblivion or Gears of War. I found 360 graphics amazing on Oblivion. I equally found the PS3 graphics quite impressive on Genji's cut scenes (no enemy crabs in sight). Since both are high definition, I think that both have the same potential in real life terms. Both really shine in terms of fluid motion, precise detail and realism. I've seen it on both systems, on certain games. I've also seen junky graphics on both systems. Both are much better than the Wii.

How about sound? All of these can plug into your stereo system. My boyfriend and I are both musicians. We have decibel meters and other sound-sensing tools. All three systems can create amazingly complex sounds, music, and in general a "gaming environment". Again I think it comes down to specific game makers, how they choose to use or not use that ability. It also comes down to how much you the gamer spent on your stereo system :)

Speaking of sound, I do have to comment that our 360 is quite loud when it runs, despite our many attempts to help it be quieter. The PS3 right out of the box is MUCH quieter. Score 1 point for the PS3.

On the general operating system for the units, all three consoles are going for more of a "general use entertainment system" presentation. The XBox has customizeable tabs that let you download new games, manage your environment and so on. The Wii also has channels that let you organize your gaming world. The PS3 has an interface almost exactly like that of the PSP, complete with cool drifting smoke waves in the background. You choose which area you want to work on - game, music, internet connection etc., and drop down to alter whatever feature you're interested in.

So on to the on-line aspect, which most gamers are now fully interested in. Where the XBox 360 makes you buy an external connector for wireless, the PS3 has that built-in on the 60 gig model. The 20 gig model still requires an external connector (these run about $100). All will let you plug in a cable if you're still running a wired household.

[UPDATED JUNE 2007] Back during launch, people thought 20 gig was great and that 60 gig was overkill for a gaming system. After all, the XBox 360 had 20 gig as their top end. Now, only a few months later, Sony has discontinued their 20 gig as "too small". XBox has the Elite model with 120 gig. The difference is as that gamers are converting their focus from audio storage to video storage, and high def video at that. People are downloading and enjoying movies and TV shows on their consoles. It's something to consider, if you will be doing that with your console.

How does the online world work on the PS3? The XBox definitely has the advantage here. Until this generation, *only* the XBox had a thriving community in their live world. The XBox 360 connected right into that XBox Live world, and they boast a *huge* community of gamers who actively gain points, play online and form virtual worlds. The PS3 and Wii both have to play catch-up at this point. Even if they have better interfaces, it's a matter of converting over all those players who have clans, familiarity and high point collections on the XBox world. Imagine if a new MMORPG came out right now that had fantastic graphics. Sure it might be wonderful - but will you really get all 800 trillion WOW players to drop their world and characters and friends to convert, especially if it costs more? It'll be a hard, slow sell.

My summary? I definitely think all three have great games and that all three are worth owning. Of course I'm in a position that I *can* afford all three, which many people are not in. For example, I *love* the Zelda series, and I *love* the Final Fantasy series. I would be hard put to tell a person "you need to get Zelda instead of Final Fantasy". I would want the person to have both, because both are great for different reasons. If you really truly can only save up for one of the three consoles, it isn't going to come down to which console is "best" for all players in some sort of a global way. It is going to come down to which console is best for YOU based on your specific gaming style.

If you're on a really tight budget and just want something better than the previous generation, go for a Wii. It's cheap, the graphics are better, and the remotes are great fun. It has Zelda :) If you have a larger budget and really want the high definition, you're now choosing between the 360 and the PS3. You really do have to look at the specifics of each, and think seriously about your gaming style, to see which matches you best. If I were to make a flip summarization, if you really love online gameplay, I'd go with the XBox 360. Its years of head-start really give it a robust environment here. If you are looking for more of a home-based one-machine media center for your MPs3, photos and huge world gameplay, I'd go with the PS3. It definitely has the advantage on large scale games.

Feel free to email me if you have more specific questions, or for screenshots, graphic descriptions, or interface information on any of the three systems.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Exceeds Expectations, December 27, 2006
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)
After months of mulling it over, I decided to go with a PS3 over an XBox 360 or a Nintendo Wii. The reasons that I did so were as follows:

First, the PS3 is technically superior and more powerful than either the 360 or the Wii. Because of that, there is nothing that the 360 or Wii can do that the PS3 cannot do. And all of the advantages for the 360 (better game lineup and networking) or for the Wii (novel game play) could be overcome by the PS3 given the right amount of time (the PS3 game lineup for next year looks impressive, the networking should improve and the EyeToy coming for PS3 should counter the Wii's advantage).

Second, the PS3 60 GB gives you more for your dollars (even though it will take 600 of them) than the other systems. It includes a BluRay player, a 60 GB hard drive, a memory card reader and WiFi networking. If you tried to build an XBox 360 with the same specifications, it would end up costing you $300 more than the PS3. And the Wii is incapable of meeting these specifications.

Third, the PS3 is reverse compatible with most PS2 games - preventing my PS2 library from becoming obsolete overnight.

That said, when I bought the system, I was a bit apprehensive given all of the criticisms that I had heard here and elsewhere. I did have high hopes for the system given its specifications but was afraid of buying the next NeoGeo. After a couple of days of playing, I can say that my expectations have been exceeded and my fears have proven to be unfounded.

I have had the system set up and playing for two days (not continuously of course) on a Samsung 720p/1080i 50" plasma screen with an HDMI hook-up. (Note: There is NO need to buy an HDMI cable over $20. Sony and Monster will try to sell you HDMI cables for almost $100. HDMI relies on a digital signal - either you get it or you don't. I bought a $9 cable from an online retailer and have been doing quite well with it.)

I have played Resistance, Fight Night, the Grand Turismo Demo, the Genji demo and the MotorStorm demo. I have used the WiFi connection to play online as well.

The system has its pros and cons - but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Pros:

- Breathtaking next-gen graphics. The Grand Turismo High Definition demo shows off the power of the PS3. When playing GTHD, you almost forget that you are watching a computer animation - the cars and track look entirely lifelike (the spectators not so much). Fight Night shows off impressive flesh reconstructions, lighting and details (e.g. the sweat on a fighter's face, the skin ripples on a knockout punch).

- Hassle free wireless networking. There have been some drops - but for the most part, the WiFi keeps us downloading and gaming as much as we need it. It provides a web interface and easy access to the PlayStation store and other PS3 users.

- Peripheral possibilities. With four USB hookups in the front, the possibilities are many - including a PS3 EyeToy and SingStar game.

- An impressive 2007 lineup with Tom Clancy's Vegas, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid 4, Grand Theft Auto and a variety of other games coming out, the future for the PS3 is bright.

- Extensive hard drive space. There is no need to skimp on demos or downloads.

- BluRay player opens up next gen DVD to our home theater system.

- SIXAXIS controllers open up the possibility of a fusion of traditional gaming with motion sensitive gaming.

Cons

- Surfing the web with the PS3 WiFi connection is an exercise in frustration. I don't plan to surf the web on the PS3 anyway and this is more of an annoyance than anything else because the network and PlayStation store run quite smoothly on WiFi.

- The smooth, plastic casing is a fingerprint and dust magnet. (Really not a big deal at all).

Overall, the PS3 is a solid system with spectacular potential in the hands of the right software developers. It only gets 4 stars for fun (as opposed to 5 overall) right now because of the limited game lineup (which may not be fair since this is a review of the console and not the lineup - but a console is nothing without its playable games) - but with time, those 4 stars should become 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Playstation 3 is one heck of a game system & entertainment powerhouse!, January 9, 2007
Porfie Medina "Porfie Jr. Medina" (Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)
I have to say I have never been a Sony Playstation fan. I just grew up with Nintendo and loved their games Like Super Mario Bros and The Zelda franchise. When I heard what the SONY playstation 3 was about and how it supported blu-ray and high definition games I only hoped that the system would live up to the hype. After finally getting my hands on one a little bit before Christmas I have to say the SONY Playstation 3 is one amazing system and was worth the wait. As for the games there are not many that show the true potential of this amazing system just yet though many are still a blast to play. I do have to say the Motor Storm Demo in (720p) and Gran Turismo HD demo (1080p) show an amazing amount of detail and some parts look like reality especially on a True HD TV capable of 1080p. I have this connected to my SONY KDL-46XBR3 46 inch Bravia 1080p HDTV LCD TV and the playstation 3 allows me to see what a HD tv is capable of when given great content. Most of the Blu-ray movies look amazing (Crank, Invincible, The Devil Wears Prada, Black Hawk Down) but some movies on blu-ray look just above DVD quality like The Covenant and Silent Hill. I guess that depends on the quality of the transfer of the film. The motion sensor bluetooth controls are great. I am really glad Sony released their new Bluetooth Play station 3 Blue-Ray DVD Remote (item #B000M17AVO here on Amazon) because it makes navigating the blue-ray movies so much easier than the regular controls. I like the fact that the system has online connectivity and that it also has a built in browser should you just want to surf the internet. Most of all I like the fact that the 60 gig model gives a built in Wi-fi connection so if you all ready have internet access you just have to buy a wi-fi router (I use the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router item #WRT54GS here on Amazon) and pop in the CD that comes with the router. Follow the simple instructions and bam you have your ps3 on line wi-fi and free from all those extra wires. You can even download your favorite music/videos to the ps3 hard drive and if available online it will display the artist names and songs. You can even connect a USB keyboard (along with almost any type of USB device) to make surfing the internet faster and more enjoyable. I have to say I am very happy with giving the Playstation 3 a chance and I highly recommend it for anyone who appreciates a great game system with some awesome entertainment features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, May 6, 2007
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)
Where to start.....the PS3 is an engineering masterpiece. There are so many reasons why you should upgrade from the PS2 to PS3. My main motivating factors were Blu-Ray (high-definition video) functionality, Bluetooth wireless controllers (better range and response), internal wireless (for online game-play and updates), HDMI 1.3 output with 1080p output, optical audio, and card slots for loading music, pictures, and video onto the massive 60GB hardrive. Seems expensive, but, in retrospect, its really not, there is a lot of value in the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbiased review from owner of both systems + games, November 19, 2006
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)
First off let me explain my setup.
I have a Samsung DLP 50'' that supports full 1080P.
xBox connected via HQ component cables with optical and PS3 via HDMI
I have had an xBox 360 for about 3 months (my first venture away from Sony) and a PS3 for 2 days.
I consider myself well versed on technology but by no means a savant like some of the posters at AVSforums.
The only thing I won't be able to compare right now (but will add it as soon as I get my hands on one) is the 360 HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray for video playback.

See Summary at end if you don't want a detailed review

****Overview*****

Both systems are solid next gen systems but both do come with their faults.
Overall I think the PS3 has greater potential given the undeniable advantage of built in Blu-Ray for games vs. the standard disc format the 360 is designed for. However that potential clearly hasn't been tapped yet. The fit and finish of the 360 is ahead of PS3 at this point.
Menus for 360 are much cleaner than the PSP-like PS3 menu screen.

From an actual physical appearance they are equally an eyesore.
Funny both systems want to be considered home entertainment hubs yet both deserve to be locked up in a closet. Microsoft why on Earth did you make a white box? How many people have white in their Home Theatre components? I suppose I could buy a face plate but don't feel I should have to pay extra to make something not look like a cheap piece of plastic. As for the PS3 I have to admit that I have this lying flat but this is by far the ugliest piece of my home entertainment setup. First off the base with the fan is both shorter an not as deep as the player itself giving it a very ugly boxy look which is only accentuated by the cheap silver material (everyone uses brushed chrome today).

But luckily looks are everything...

******Gameplay******

I'll start off with a review of games I have played on both systems since well that is why you buy a gaming console.
Games I have played for both would be Madden 07 and NHL 2k7
Games I have played just for PS3 Resistance.
Games I have played just for xBox Tiger Woods 07, GOW, Splinter Cell DA,
Dead Rising, Prey, WSOP, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.
I primarily play sports games and like as real to life gameplay as possible. I don't need the over the top hitting or ridiculous goal scoring. I prefer sports games that give you a true sim experience.
Madden 07 - Edge graphics and gameplay PS3 / PS3 has slightly better graphics (just more realistic) and much better gameplay. Granted this is something 360 can catchup to next yr but for now a simple thing like gang tackling which has been sorely missing in football games gives PS3 a big advantage in my book. The player physics are much smoother as well, no more catching a ball and going backwards 5yds which is a huge problem in 360. All the menus or lack thereof and sound is identical to 360 which is a bit dissapointing.

NHL2K7 - Graphics edge 360 gameplay big edge PS3 - The graphics on 360 vs. PS3 are more detailed and crisp (for instance you can really see the jersey threading on the 360 moreso than the PS3 although you won't complain about the graphics on either.
But gameplay is another story. The PS3 version has much more realistic gameplay. You can actually turn the hitting down to a realistic level and I actually lose to the CPU on a regualar basis which is great. They also tightened up the fighting physics so that you aren't facing the wrong way half the fight. And yes the Sabres have their new uniforms (something every other console missed)

As for Resistance of Man I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the 1st person shooters but I thought it was OK, graphics were not as good as say Splinter Cell DA or GOW and the game didn't have that WoW factor I was expecting which GOW certainly delivers.

From what I have seen thus far I would give the graphical edge to 360 and gameplay to PS3.

***Ancillary benefits***********

Where 360 has a huge edge is what it does outside of playing games.
xBox live is great (you get what you pay for) and very easy to use.
The PS3 menus are very bland but also easy to use it only took about 10 min to get up and running but the online experience just isn't there yet. I love being able to download game demos with the 360 ( Superman looks great)
One key feature of the 360 that gets little to no pub is the Windows Media Center extender technology. Just the ability to stream video from my Windows XP Media Center PC to my TV via the 360 is worth the price of admission alone. Why no one is talking about this is beyond me.
I can store dozens of movies, on my PC and access them very easily directly from my 360.

As for the Blu-Ray player itself I did watch Talledega nights (or at least as much as I could handle) And am very dissapointed with what is suppose to be 1080P. This looked only slightly better than what my DVD upscaler can produce and not nearly as sharp as regular cable HDTV programming which is only broadcast in 1080i.
Granted this is a small sample size and hopefully will improve but lets just say this won't help quell the negative pub. Blu-Ray has been receiving.

*****Summary**************
As an owner of both let me preface by saying I am satisfied with both systems. What the PS3 lacks in look and feel it makes up for in brute technology ie. built in Blu-Ray.
Both systems are clearly next Gen. I feel the PS3 is probably set up better to be the system that can carry you for the next 5-7 yrs (lets face it the PS2 had a good run) Simply because of the built in Blu-Ray.
Whereas the 360's fit and finish combined with the Media Center Extender technology give it an advantage today not to mention far superior online experience. Still without the HD-DVD drive for games I don't think this has nearly as long a shelf life not to mention the lack of HDMI will eventually catch up to them.

If you don't care about Blu-Ray and are looking for the best system as of right now, go ahead with the 360 you won't be dissapointed.
If you are looking at this as a long term solution )ie. you don't want to buy another system in 2-3 yrs. The PS3 is probably your better bet.

Now could someone kindly design a next-Gen system that physically looks next GEN!!!!!

Hope you found this review helpful, I tried to be truly unbiased in my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if it isn't true... $40 PS3, January 16, 2011
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)
If this isn't true, amazon will definitely honor a refund. I just talked to customer support and they told me that if this is a mistake, I will be able to withdraw my order. Thank you Shehini from customer support!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a Video Game Console, August 9, 2007
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)
It takes me a lot to write a review for something. Normally I just don't care. I will only write a review for something if I feel it is really superb.

Well this thing is.

Bonuses
----------------------
What I really like about the PS3 is it does more every month that passes. I bought the thing in February and since then, with free firmware updates you can download right on your console, PS2 and PS1 backwards compatability has become unmatched and all your old games are upscaled to 1080P and anti-aliased, the Blu-ray playback has improved, Full RGB output has been added, it upscales my CD's to 192Khz and there actually is a difference (it warms them up), DVD upscaling has been added and it is unmatched, and best of all, a Media Server has been added. What this last thing means is I can stream all of my music, movies and photos from my computer which is on the 2nd floor of my townhouse to my PS3 which is on the 4th floor, and view/listen/watch all of these things *from* my computer *on* my home theater *via* the PS3. Since the PS3 has built-in WiFi, this is all done completely *wirelessly*. You can imagine how cool this is.

Lately I have been discovering some pretty cool things about the system too that I did not realize before. I can use it to browse the Web and print to my printer, for instance. This thing is full of cool stuff that gets added and you find out over time that really adds to the value for any adult home.

Games
----------------------
If you are a hardcore gamer, you may be dissapointed at least for now as the PS3 launched 8 months ago and has a smaller game library than the Xbox 360. But if you are honest with yourself, you'll realize that the PS3 is new. We've all played this game before in the past with many other consoles, and this is not unusual. The first year is always a little painful but things get better every month. This is no different.

But if you are more casual like me, the PS3 is absolutely wonderful. MLB The Show, Motorstorm, and Super Startdust HD are possibly the most fun I've had playing video games in years. And I look forward to what's in store over the next few months.

Power
----------------------
I have a feeling the PS3 is more powerful than other consoles as the games out this year look better than the games out last year for the 360. No game on the 360 last year in month 3 looked as good as Motorstorm did on the PS3 in month 3, for instance, and no game on the 360 last year in month 6 looked as good as Ninja Gaiden Sigma did on the PS3 in month 6. Now we'll just have to wait and see if anything looks as good as Gears of War in month 11. But as a games machine, for a console that launched 8 months ago, the PS3 is really doing fantastic so far.

Cross platform games are a wash so far. Most are better on the Xbox 360 at this moment because the system is a year older. But I am noticing the new cross platform titles are not as bad as the earlier ones. Oblivion is better on the PS3, for instance. And I'm noticing games like Virtua Tennis and others that utilize the standard hard drive in the PS3 load faster than on the Xbox 360. So you win some and you lose some. We'll know by next year what system really has the most power. First 8 months of a console's lifespan is WAY too early to tell anything, though I have a feeling PS3 is more powerful based off of Motorstorm and Ninja Gaiden being better looking in months 3 and 6 than anything respectively last year.

Blu-ray
----------------------
I think Blu-ray is an excellent added feature to the system. Blu-ray movies look fantastic and 7 out of 8 major studios are releasing movies on it. It will definetly be the next consumer high def format. It has double the sales and much more studio support than HD-DVD, the competing format available for $180 as an optional add-on for the 360. HD-DVD has only 3 major studios supporting it. Blu-ray has all of them but Universal. Plus HD-DVD only has Toshiba making HD-DVD only players. Blu-ray has Panasonic, Samsung, Philips, Sony, Pioneer and Denon. You do the math.

Value
----------------------
Which brings me to my last point, and that is the value of the PS3. The real misnomer is that the Xbox 360 is cheaper. I agree it is cheaper if all you do is play video games and just want something that plays video games, but then again the Playstation 2 also plays video games and is cheaper still, so you have to look at the entire picture. It's not just "can it play video games" it is "what do I want for my money."

Let me explain further. I live in a townhouse and my gaming rig is in our den on the 4th floor. Our DSL/phone jack/router is on the 2nd floor. Therefore unless I want to re-arrange my entire lifestyle and move my gaming rig to an entirely different floor, or spend more money for things like extra access points, I need WiFi. Also I do enjoy high definition movies.

Let's Break it Down
----------------------
These things cost extra on the Xbox. So let's do the math. The Xbox 360 Elite is $449. The PS3 is $499. These are the closest comparable price points we have.

Check.

Now if I told you that for $50, I could take your Xbox 360 Elite, take off 60GB of hard drive space BUT in return I will give you built in Wireless for all Internet/gaming/media server connectivity, I will upgrade your HDMI from 1.2 to 1.3 to give you access to higher bandwidth 7.1 multichannel PCM audio, I will install SD/compactflash card readers for your camera photos, allow your console to browse the Web and surf the Internet, I'll make online gaming completely FREE and you'll no longer have to pay $50/year, I'll give your console the ability to use any third party hard drive and USB/Bluetooth headset, keyboard or mouse to upgrade your console, I'll upgrade your backwards compatability so it plays ALL the old games (not just half of them), and I'll even throw in a wee little thing called a Blu-ray drive allowing you to play high def movies, and I'll inform the game developers they can also use all that extra 42GB of space for their games, would that be worth $50 for you?

I mean that's what we are talking about here. So if someone tells you the 360 is cheaper, yes it is, but it is a misnomer. A Kia is cheaper than a Toyota, and they both drive. But no one puts them up against each other in terms of raw pricing. In other words, in video game speak, you will have to pay $100 for WiFi on the 360, $50 if you want to play games with people online, and $180 if you want to watch high def movies, and you will never ever be able to surf the Internet or save money by using your own third party Bluetooth/USB peripherals like keyboard/mouse/headset (you have to buy *Microsoft's* overpriced products like their $180 hard drive!). Now if you don't want any of those things, fine, but acting like they come for free or they have no intrinsic value is deceiving. So be honest with yourself.

Reliability
-----------
As an added bonus, the PS3 is also MUCH quieter and MUCH more reliable. All you have to do is read the reviews here and read the reviews for the Xbox 360. There are a lot of upset Xbox 360 owners. A LOT. As far as I'm aware the 360 has a 33%+ failure rate acknowledge by Microsoft. They are working on fixing it and have given customers a 3 year warranty, but I'm sorry that just does not bode well for my confidence. Microsoft has never been a hardware company. Sure they will fix it for free and have a 3 year warranty, but does Kia's 10 year warranty really sway you to get a Kia over a Toyota or a Honda?

So think long and hard about this purchase if you are comparing consoles. Do the math. Add up the numbers. And do your research. And be honest with yourself. I believe any young male 18-35 with a pulse would be happy with a PS3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its like having my own little super nova in the middle of my living room, June 22, 2007
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)
I'm a serious gamer and have 7 different consoles including my 360 on my bookcase so I'm not by any means on Sony's payroll while writing this review. At first I was skeptical over paying $599 for a gaming console, how can it justify its outrageous price.

For starters it lets you create a virtually unlimited amount of PS1 and PS 2 memory cards on its harddrive so with the help of an adapter sold seperately. I've been able to transfer all my saves from older PS1 and PS 2 memory cards to the PS 3 or download the data from the PS 3 back on to a memory card with no problems.

The PS 3 has played all of my PS 2 and PS 1 games with no problems, it really irks me that its been over a year and I still can't play but 5 of my xbox games on the 360 and even then I can't transfer any saved data... I love never getting up to search for memory cards any more.You can pause a game at any time, go into the menu and choose the card you want then assign it to a virtual slot.

The graphics of the first generation PS 3 games are about even with the 360 but I don't think thats going to last long. PS 3 blu-ray disc give the potential for some huge levels.

The negatives so far are
1.The controllers rumble feature is gone "crys"
2.I've had to purchase the memory card adapter and hdmi cables.
3.The usb charging cable for the controller is two feet to short making me sit on the floor in front of the sofa if it needs charging.
4.The PS 3 blows VERY hot air like a hair dryer set on a low setting. My computer doesn't generate this much heat. I've moved everything two feet away and purchased a fan to blow on it. Its like having my own little super nova in the middle of my living room.

The positives so far are
1.It plays all PS1 and PS2 games
2.It eliminates the need for PS 1 and PS 2 memory cards
3.The graphics are gorgeous and right up there with the 360
4.You can watch blu ray movies

My conclusion, Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Home Entertainment Machine, July 18, 2007
Bayne (Honolulu, HI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)
My purchase of the PS3 60GB came on the day of price drop, after weeks of research into the "Console Wars". In the time since I've been incredibly impressed with the quality of this unit. It performs exactly how other reviewers here have described.
1. Surprisingly quiet operation for its power
2. Exceptional movie picture quality (including Blu-ray, and Upscaling DVD's)
3. Incredible sound, period.
4. Wifi Internet was much easier to setup than I ever dreamed it would be.
4. The unit itself looks fantastic and is very well constructed.

Some of the obvious negatives to this point.

1. The lack of gaming library that playstation users are used to from their old trusty PS2's. The plus side is that the PS2 games are compatible and now look great after a recent firmware update to the PS3.
2. The current lack of central online play system. (ex. Xbox Live) Yes, the PS3 online is free but not very good at the moment. The plus to this is that "Playstation Home" the Sony version of "Live" is due out soon and looks great.

Overall, I'm very happy with my decision to go with PS3 over the other gaming consoles. The reason for this is because I feel that I've gotten more than a gaming machine. With the movie/photo/home video/music/wi-fi web capabilites I feel I've gotten much more for my money. I also have to mention that I'm relieved I won't have to deal w/ the "Red Ring of Death" issue that I've read about during my research. Now I just have to wait a couple months for the game/movie developers to catch up and I'll be set!

4.0 out of 5 stars A huge leap in graphics. A small leap in gaming., November 17, 2006
This review is from: PlayStation 3 60GB System (Electronics)
Having had the pleasure of using the PlayStation 3 for several days, I have come to appreciate what it is and what it isn't.

What it is not is a substantial leap in entertainment quality. PS3 games, for the most part, feel like PS2 games or even Xbox 360 games. In terms of the gaming experience, the new tilt sensor is the main innovation, and while it is interesting, I can't help but feel that it's mostly a gimmick. That's not to say that it's useless, but it's hardly a reason to rush out and buy a PS3.

That aside, the sheer processing power is remarkable; the 7-core Cell process is several times as powerful as most modern PC desktops, and the custom NVidia graphics chipset is roughly as capable as the best graphics cards you can buy today. While the PS3's price is expensive compared to other gaming consoles, considering what's stuffed into the sleek and attractive enclosure, it's actually something of a bargain.

Fortunately, the massive upgrade in computational horsepower is immediately obvious when viewed on a high-definition display. To get the most out of your PS3, you'll want a 1080P display. If you have one, you really will be blown away by the resolution and detail present in all of the new games. In fact, at 1080P, these computer-generated graphics contain much more detail than any over-the-air HD broadcast, and they're also considerably sharper than HD-DVD or Blu-ray movies, which even at 1080P suffer from various shortcomings (compression, transfer issues, focus errors, etc.)

If you have a standard definition television, you'll still see an improvement, because the PS3 doesn't just up the resolution, it ups the polygon detail and lighting complexity. In fact, on the standard definition display I hooked my PS3 up to just for fun, in some ways it looked closer to reality than it did on the HD display, simply because everything was smaller, and therefore less smooth/plasticy. It's hard to explain, but there are definitely times when you can almost forget that the PS3 output is fake -- and that's not something I've experienced on my PS2 or Xbox 360 (though it comes close). However, if you only have an SD display, you definitely want to get an HD display. At 720P, the PS3 looks great, but 1080P is where you can stop seeing pixelation from reasonable viewing distances. I'll refrain from mentioning the specific games in this review, but the five that I've tried have ranged from visually impressive to visually stunning.

Some other quick points:

1. The console is considerably quieter than I expected. It's hardly silent, but I was afraid it would be much louder given its internals. I'd say it's slightly quiter than my Xbox 360.

2. Audio quality is shockingly good. Hooked up to a 5.1 system with good speakers... WOW!

3. The fit and finish of the console is excellent.

4. The built-in BluRay player is fantastic, though the interface could be quicker. This is a "cheap" way to get a BluRay player, at least for now.

5. Love the HDMI port! Super easy to connect audio and video to the rest of my AV system.

6. I miss the vibrating controller of the Xbox; without it I feel somehow disconnected to the game.

7. Don't sit too close to your TV while playing... I tried it and felt sick!

Overall, this is a serious jump in visual and audio quality over the PS2, a noticeable jump over the Xbox 360, and a great buy if you're into high-quality gaming. Just don't expect the games themselves to be substantially more fun or shockingly different than what you're used to.

PlayStation 3 60GB System
PlayStation 3 60GB System by Sony (PlayStation 3)
Used & New from: $159.75