1,026 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Best controller I have ever used
As a long time Microsoft supporter and someone who has never really liked the PS3, I felt it necessary to post this.

I picked up the new DS4 controller last night for the upcoming PS4, and I have to say I am blown away at how much better they made this controller.

Published 8 months ago by Joe Stacavich

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design, not durable and quality issues.
This controller has the best feel of any that I've used in the past and it was one of the biggest considerations when upgrading from the PS3 after trying out the console in the store. The wider stance and obviously upgraded ergonomics make for a great feeling device in your hand.

The problems:
I wore through the rubber on the left joystick of the first...
Published 6 months ago by Michael Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Best controller I have ever used, October 26, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (Accessory)

Everything about this controller feels better than the old DS3 and prior units. The joysticks are farther apart and actually have resistance for more precise movements.

The grips are elongated and this makes the controller fit much better in my bigger hands.

It is not heavy in the hand, so while using it I forget I am holding it. The movements feel more like second nature rather than thinking about which button to press.

I knew awhile back I was not getting the Xbox One and I had hitched my wagon to the PS4 train. This just makes that decision all the more grand.

This DS4 is the best controller I have used on any system to date. Will it beat the new Xbox One? Not sure, but I would have to say maybe. Even if it didn't I would say it won't matter, Microsoft lost my money this time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Command and Control (feels grrrrreat!!), October 30, 2013
Length:: 0:47 Mins

___________________________________________________________
UPDATE (Nov 18, 2013):

After a few days of using it 'as intended', with the PS4, that is, there is consensus among all gamers in our family that this is the best Playstation controller so far. It feels comfortable to hold, it's precise, the rumble feels great, the built-in speaker is just awesome and the touchpad, while not yet used much by the games we've played, has great potential.

The 'issues' would be the battery life which appears to be a lot shorter than the DS3's (Sony claims it's the same but it just ain't so) probably because the light bar is always on and bright and the Options button which is hard to reach, recessed and squeezed between the touchpad and the face buttons.
___________________________________________________________

Just had the new Dualshock delivered today and, obviously, I can't use it with a PS4 yet but I can still discuss how it feels.

Sony calls the DS4 'evolutionary' on the packaging and they're right, it's not a radically different controller but there's a lot more evolution between the DS4 and the PS3 controller than there was between PS2's vs. PS3's. We are getting: touchpad, lightbar, speaker and audio out as completely new features and some nice changes/improvements in buttons shape and layout and in controller's overall shape.

I was afraid that the new controller would feel 'too big' or 'too heavy' but, it turns out, it's not the case at all. It feels better, much better than the Dualshock 3 while, at the same time, it feels very, very familiar. You don't need to 'learn' this one at all and the touchpad feels super-natural. Here are my first impressions. I posted a brief video and tried it with a PS3 but, let me share my impressions so far:

- LARGER: yet it still feels comfortable because of the slightly longer handles and them being set at a different angle.
- HEAVIER: yes, it is a little heavier but only a little. Hard to tell how it's going to feel after a few hours of play but I don't believe it's going to be a big issue.
- L3/R3 come with a redesigned top and require less push to click.
- L2/R2 have a trigger-like shape but not exaggerated to the point where your fingers would get stuck. Nice.
- 4 FACE BUTTONS ON RIGHT (triangle, circle, X, square) are smaller, closer together and can be pushed deeper.
- D-PAD didn't change much. The buttons are a little curved.
- PS BUTTON is smaller.
- CHARGES through a USB Micro, NOT a USB Mini port. Charged well both off a PS3 and off a MOVE charger that came with USB ports.
- AUDIO PORT: we'll need something that supports it on the PS4 to try it out
- SPEAKER: haven't had a chance to hear it yet
- TOUCH PAD: it's clickable, feels good to the touch
- LIGHT BAR: turns yellow while charging, flashing white when disconnected
- OPTIONS and SHARE replace the START and SELECT buttons
- RUMBLE: obviously, didn't have a chance to try it yet.

You do NOT get the charging wire which can be any standard USB Type A with a Micro plug at the other end and you do NOT get the earpiece. The packaging says that the PS4 comes with the USB wire but there's no mention of the earpiece.

So far, the new controller is a winner. It feels great to hold and everything appears to be within reach. It works with the PS3 but only in wired mode. Pressing the PS button did not cause the PS3 to respond in any way.

I'm in love already :), looking forward to getting our new PS4, soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars PC Compatible if you can rebind!, October 26, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (Accessory)
I agree with what the others have said regarding feel so I will post what I've found regarding working with PC

Controller is working via generic Wireless Controller driver on Windows 8 while connected with micro USB cable OR through bluetooth! Have tried with several games and have found the following:

Doesn't follow the 360 bindings, you will have to rebind games, may not work for games that don't allow this.

Works wonderfully with Battlefield 3, GTA: San Andreas, Strike Suit Zero, ZSNES, Dolphin etc. after rebinding.

A Micro USB cable is NOT included in the box!!!

Have not found a way to make rumble work.

Touchpad input is NOT recognized so far, but clicks ARE.

Share, Options, and PS button all register.

The front lit section slowly fade blinks Yellow while charging, is solid white while connected wirelessly, and off while charged and on cable.

Opens with a 0x2-1/2" or other small Phillips head.

Hope this helps early purchasers, if you are buying this substantially after launch please keep in mind a driver may have been released by then!

EDIT: Android information!

On my ATT Note 3, This controller is working wonderfully via micro USB (by using a USB OTG cable) but NOT bluetooth nor using the sixaxis app (just tried to to be sure). The controller shows up as a pairable device, but when selected the phone believes it is paired, but the controller does not. Will keep trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PlayStation gamer's review, October 26, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (Accessory)
I have big hands, and being raised with PlayStation controllers has molded my hands to be perfectly comfortable with them. I have NEVER had any hand cramps or soreness from any Dualshock controllers. Although the PSP and Vita put my pinkies to sleep after awhile. Anyways, on to the new controller and improvements I have noticed in my limited time testing it on the PS3 mostly with BF3.

Picked this up from GameStop today (they had the PS Eye in stock also) and am not disappointed!

THE DESIGN-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DS4 feels like it was custom molded for my hands! It's amazing! All the buttons are easily reachable during a BF3 match except for the Options and Share buttons, which is a problem for BF3 on PS3 because Select (Share) is for spotting, but this is not an issue for the PS4.

The Touchpad is also very comfortable to reach for.

I was disappointed when I heard the textured half was plastic (not rubber), but in my hands it feels like rubber, so I am happy now.

The gloss surface for the D-pad and face buttons feels great.

THE BUTTONS------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the face buttons are now digital and not analog, I noticed no difference in BF3, sometimes they actually felt snappier.

The D-pad feels better, and has a dent in the center, though I will miss the texture like the DS3s has.

R1 and L1 feel snappier (could be because it's new).

R2 and L2 are much easier to grip due to the new curve. They also have a stopping point inside the controller before the buttons lip hits the frame like the DS3, so you know when it's pulled all the way. That may be enough to ween me off of R1 for the trigger!

I thought the Touchpads clickable button would be bad, but it actually is very well done. The "click" feels the same wherever you press it!

The PS Button is smaller and solid black.

The sticks are AWESOME! They are actually smaller in circumference and shorter in height, but it's not that noticeable. The texture of the sticks and the caved in center made it almost impossible for me to slip off. My biggest plus is the accuracy you can get with this thing! Even on BF3 on the PS3 I could turn my sensitivity up with no problem!

L3 and R3 are much easier to press while the sticks are facing out (example; walking to running on BF3).

Share and Options are definitely not for use as in game buttons. They are raised just enough to find them, but not by accident. I will always miss Start and Select though.

OTHER--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Light Bar is bright but faced down so you don't notice it unless it were to flash or something. Red and blue flashing lights for NFS would be SWEET!

It uses a Micro USB (not included).

I was unable to test the Light Bar, Touchpad, vibration, headsets, or any other functions that require the PS4.

Sorry guys! I don't really have anything bad to say about this controller! Maybe once I get my PS4, but for now it's awesome!
Makes me want to get BF4 on PS3 just to be ready for PS4!

Hope this review helped someone, and yes I am a shi**y writer. Anyways hit me up if you guys have a question or want me to test something!

WHAT WORKS ON PS3? ONLY the Analog Sticks, Face Buttons, D-pad, L and R 1, 2 & 3, and Share/Options as Select/Start. MUST be plugged in via USB port on PS3. Could not pair as Bluetooth device in Settings or use as Audio device. ONLY WORKS ON CERTAIN PS3 GAMES.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design, not durable and quality issues., January 6, 2014

The problems:
I wore through the rubber on the left joystick of the first controller within a week. I'm not even a serious gamer so I'd consider my use to be general wear. I've also never experienced this problem on any previous PS controller in the past. After that 1st week of use, the rubber has completely worn through and is exposing the hard plastic underneath.

I purchased a 2nd controller from the Sony store and the L1 button is annoyingly sticky so I think they may have some quality control issues to figure out. I'm also trying to be much more careful with the use of the left joystick with this one.

I'm hoping that they work through some of these quality issues in the next generations because I don't expect the early models to hold up over time.

2.0 out of 5 stars R2 Button Issues, January 19, 2014
This review is from: PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (Accessory)
On my third controller since launch day - R2 buttons break - plastic post/spring issue.

They need to redesign with stronger design or materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those of us who prefer the Xbox 360 controller vs. the DS3, the DS4 is a huge (r)evolutionary step..., October 31, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (Accessory)
As always, gamers are passionate in their opinions but make no mistake: objectively speaking the DS4 controller is a huge step up from the DS3. Sony has, at the very least, closed the gap in the controller discussion. Whereas the DS3 was almost universally considered inferior to the Xbox 360 controller, the DS4 is so good it makes any controller debates going forward one of subjectivity and individual preference.

I've seen and heard some rather interesting opposing viewpoints on the DS3/DS4. Too often, the controller debate gets caught up in the symmetrical vs. asymmetrical stick placement, which is largely a red herring argument. In the end, the problem with the DS3 was ergonomics which has largely been fixed on the DS4. Symmetrical stick placement has nothing to do with the DS3's problems. Rather, for most American gamers' hands the DS3 is simply not ergonomic & is considered too small by most of the male gamers out there (that said, my girlfriend prefers the DS3 to the 360 controller simply because of her small hand size). The DS3's sticks feel too tall, too "loose", and too close together with a slick convex surface & a "squishy" down click. The triggers are also squishy & curved downward which doesn't give a satisfying, natural "trigger feel". The DS3's overall build quality is often described as cheap, with the DS3 offering far more structural flex than the 360 controller.

In short, the DS4 fixes all of these issues and then some. The sticks are placed further apart, a shorter/stiffer throw with at least 50% more tension, a nice convex/"sticky" surface. The triggers are shaped like triggers. The size of the hand grips is just enough bigger that it fits comfortably in both my girlfriend's small hands and my much larger hands. The overall build quality is a huge step up and feels solid with absolutely zero flex even under hard/wrenching use.

To be sure, there are always going to be naysayers. But, the general consensus among the gaming press - as well as about 75% of the gamers I've personally talked to who have experience with both controllers - is that the DS4 is a huge step up from the DS3 and overall a much improved, highly comfortable controller. In particular, using the DS4 with FPS (first person shooters) is a joy and a welcome surprise given how much of a chore it was to play this genre with the DS3. I almost always purchase multiplat FPS games on the 360 simply because the DS3 is really that bad in this genre. This is no longer a problem, and in fact I'm looking forward to playing all multiplats on the PS4 now, especially FPS games (in no small part due to the PS4's significantly better shader power/memory bandwidth which will make multiplats look and perform better on PS4).

With all that said, I still slightly prefer the Xbox 360 controller and believe that overall it's the closest thing to perfection we have seen in a controller *for my hands* (bad d-pad notwithstanding). However, there is no question the DS4 is a huge improvement on the DS3 and it's a *very* close 2nd for me. I would place the Xbox One controller as a distant 3rd place because they changed up the bumpers and stick tension (it's actually looser than the DS4 and 360 controller now...bad move MS)... plus a slightly smaller size than the 360 controller are actually downgrades (for my hands). It's amazing MS spent $150 million redesigning the almost perfect 360 controller only to make it not quite as good for most gamers.

Sony needs to get it in gear and release a PS3 firmware patch to allow the DS4 to work wirelessly as an official DS3 replacement. As it stands right now, it will work via USB cable b/c the PS4 detects it as a standard HID device. But this thing is so good the PS3 really deserves to be fully usable with it. One thing is for sure: I have a huge backlog of PS3 games I will definitely spend a lot more time with simply because of the DS4. I can't think of any higher praise than that. If Sony does enable full PS3/DS4 compatibility they'd move these things to PS3 owners like hotcakes...even for people who don't intend to upgrade to the PS4 right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much improved over the DS3, and possibly even, -gasp-, better than the legendary 360 controller., November 27, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (Accessory)
I should start by saying this: I was mostly a 360 gamer, and i always disliked the ds3, the 360 was by far the best controller I have used.. WAS. I actually wanted the xbox until Microsoft revealed it ironically.. long story short, their antics will not be tolerated. Most of this review is a comparison between the DS4, the DS3 and the xbox 360 controllers.

The PS4 is amazing so far, much better than the ps3 and that goes for the controller too.. I used to really dislike the Sony controllers as they felt light, cheap, slick and uncomfortable when compared to the 360's.. not so with the ds4, it just might be my new favorite controller; narrowly beating the 360's (though i do wish it had settings to tone down and customize the lightbar color). The speaker in it reminds me of the wii's except that it's not of terrible static-y sound quality like the wiimote. I think the speaker will probably be wasted in most games anyway however. The touchpad isn't as bad as I thought it would be.. but it is basically useless for now. The internet browser is where I assumed it would be most naturally used, and yet, it doesn't even function in the browser. I dislike the "share" button, don't get me wrong, its a cool feature, but it wont be used nearly enough to warrant a physical devoted key.. I would have preferred it just be an option after hitting the PS button.. and made that a "menu" key, while leaving "options" as the classic "start" button.

Otherwise I really can't complain. The triggers are infinitely better than the honestly terrible ones the ds3 had.. which were curved in the wrong direction, making it harder to press and easier to have your finger slip off. They are now curved in the correct direction and the pressure needed to activate them is perfect. The joysticks are much better, with a little lip on the edges and made of a better quality rubber. This makes them more comfortable, and helps to keep your fingers from sliding off accidentally. The thing comes with built in rechargeable batteries, which is debatable when vs the xbox battery pack.. I think its ridiculous these days to not include rechargeable batteries, BUT the removable pack approach is better in many ways. First it allows 3rd parties like nyko to make better charge stations and higher capacity batteries.. it allows you to replace them if they burn out, and if the controller is dying, you can swap in a spare rather than be forced to get up close to plug in.. I wish sony had went for the best of both and made it come standard with a rechargeable pack.. or at the very least designed for some pin connectors on the back for simpler drop-in 3rd party charge stations.

The controller is much rounder than its predecessor, in all the areas that help. People with large or small hands should be equally pleased here. The back also has a textured feel now, which gives an impression of quality as well as the obvious grip benefit. I'm also glad it accepts micro-usb. As an android user I have plenty of those cables around and they are obtainable cheaply for everyone else. It also takes standard 9mm headphones, and can be charged through the bottom port (the slot for headsets or presumably a text pad) as well. The text pad on the DS3 was just stupid, being at the top made it difficult to use and navigate at the same time, and made it look ridiculous.. It was in my mind obviously an afterthought for sony back then, but now with the ds4 hopefully something comparable to the Microsoft keypads will come out in the future, comfortable enough to leave attached sometimes and not be of much bother. Also BLUETOOTH, which means you can use it easily with your PC or your android device for delightful emulator goodness.

1.0 out of 5 stars The r2 trigger sticks within one month!, March 30, 2014
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (Accessory)
I have 2 controllers and within 2 weeks the first controller's r2 trigger started sticking. At first I thought I had gotten a lemon but I was wrong. 2 weeks after that one broke my other controllers r2 trigger started sticking and the rubber is starting to come off on the analog sticks. It is impossible for me to play any shooting game because the gun shoots nonstop. If you look it up this a major problem with the controller and not a isolated incident

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective rubber covering on analog sticks, January 18, 2014
This review is from: PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (Accessory)
At first I was very excited to see that sony had updated the design to its console controllers. The feel of the PS4 controller is great and very comfortable, with all the familiarity of the old dualshock controller. What PS3 users will notice is that the battery life is significantly less than the ps3 dualshock controllers, and additionally, after 2 weeks of light to moderate use (e.g. a few hours every other day), the left analog stick rubber has already worn through completely. Fortunately it seems like only a small subset of people have experienced this, but 2 weeks is far too soon to be considered normal wear and tear. If this continues to happen, I won't be able to continually replace the controller and use the PS4 for gaming.

I have spoken with Sony Support and they require you to pay for shipping in order to have the defective product replaced. Also, the rep (who was very nice), unfortunately could not tell me if corporate had heard about this problem or was addressing it. If you're experiencing the same thing, speak up about it so that Sony can make the changes necessary to improve the quality of their product.

PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller
PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 4)
$59.99 $58.70