Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on October 26, 2013
As a long time Microsoft supporter and someone who has never really liked the PS3, I felt it necessary to post this.

I picked up the new DS4 controller last night for the upcoming PS4, and I have to say I am blown away at how much better they made this controller.

Everything about this controller feels better than the old DS3 and prior units. The joysticks are farther apart and actually have resistance for more precise movements.

The grips are elongated and this makes the controller fit much better in my bigger hands.

It is not heavy in the hand, so while using it I forget I am holding it. The movements feel more like second nature rather than thinking about which button to press.

I knew awhile back I was not getting the Xbox One and I had hitched my wagon to the PS4 train. This just makes that decision all the more grand.

This DS4 is the best controller I have used on any system to date. Will it beat the new Xbox One? Not sure, but I would have to say maybe. Even if it didn't I would say it won't matter, Microsoft lost my money this time around.
5252 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2013
First of all, there is no such thing as a perfect game controller. As soon as you optimize things for one type of game and/or one type of player it will be suboptimal for other types of games or players. I have been playing video games since 1977 and have played or owned almost every game system since the Atari VCS 2600. I have used the stock controllers, many aftermarket controllers, and even made and played a few custom controllers and in the few hours since my Dualshock 4 arrived I have held it in my hands, (carefully) opened it and looked at the fabulous internal design, and used it with my PS3. In my short time with it and mentally comparing it to everything else I can honestly say that this is the best, most comfortable joypad so far (the Valve Steam controller is in Beta still, so it will be awhile before this promising looking device is out).

Second, I am not, repeat NOT a fanboy (O.K. I was one in the past, first Atari, then Nintendo, and even championed the ill fated Dreamcast for a bit) and even prefer the X-Box controllers for some games. It was not about placement of the d-pad and left thumbstick, but more that I have big hands and the Dualshock always felt too small for me, the handles too short and the thumbsticks too close together. I did get used to it and liked everything else about it. Thankfully, the Dualshock 4 fixes these problems.

Even putting aside the light bar, touch pad, and speaker (all of which I am looking forward to seeing implemented in interesting and innovative ways) the Dualshock 4 is the most changed, most improved controller since the original Dualshock improved on the original Playstation controller (edit: actually, thinking further back, the SNES controller was a HUGE improvement over the NES controller; which often caused hands to cramp and bruised thumbs, leading to the term "Nintendo Thumb"). In fact, the most interesting change is that "Dualshock 4" appears nowhere on the controller (I guess there was no good place to put the name).

I did take a few pictures if the internals while I had it open and will post some in customer images (there are only 4 #0 Phillips head screws, but there are 4 snaps/catches holding it closed, 2 in front between the thumbsticks and 1 on each side about 1 inch from the shoulder buttons, making it not too hard to open). I may post an update once I've actually used it with my PS4 for awhile.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on October 26, 2013
I agree with what the others have said regarding feel so I will post what I've found regarding working with PC

Controller is working via generic Wireless Controller driver on Windows 8 while connected with micro USB cable OR through bluetooth! Have tried with several games and have found the following:

Doesn't follow the 360 bindings, you will have to rebind games, may not work for games that don't allow this.

Works wonderfully with Battlefield 3, GTA: San Andreas, Strike Suit Zero, ZSNES, Dolphin etc. after rebinding.

A Micro USB cable is NOT included in the box!!!

Have not found a way to make rumble work.

Touchpad input is NOT recognized so far, but clicks ARE.

Share, Options, and PS button all register.

The front lit section slowly fade blinks Yellow while charging, is solid white while connected wirelessly, and off while charged and on cable.

Opens with a 0x2-1/2" or other small Phillips head.

Hope this helps early purchasers, if you are buying this substantially after launch please keep in mind a driver may have been released by then!

EDIT: Android information!

On my ATT Note 3, This controller is working wonderfully via micro USB (by using a USB OTG cable) but NOT bluetooth nor using the sixaxis app (just tried to to be sure). The controller shows up as a pairable device, but when selected the phone believes it is paired, but the controller does not. Will keep trying.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
UPDATE (Nov 18, 2013):

After a few days of using it 'as intended', with the PS4, that is, there is consensus among all gamers in our family that this is the best Playstation controller so far. It feels comfortable to hold, it's precise, the rumble feels great, the built-in speaker is just awesome and the touchpad, while not yet used much by the games we've played, has great potential.

The 'issues' would be the battery life which appears to be a lot shorter than the DS3's (Sony claims it's the same but it just ain't so) probably because the light bar is always on and bright and the Options button which is hard to reach, recessed and squeezed between the touchpad and the face buttons.

Just had the new Dualshock delivered today and, obviously, I can't use it with a PS4 yet but I can still discuss how it feels.

Sony calls the DS4 'evolutionary' on the packaging and they're right, it's not a radically different controller but there's a lot more evolution between the DS4 and the PS3 controller than there was between PS2's vs. PS3's. We are getting: touchpad, lightbar, speaker and audio out as completely new features and some nice changes/improvements in buttons shape and layout and in controller's overall shape.

I was afraid that the new controller would feel 'too big' or 'too heavy' but, it turns out, it's not the case at all. It feels better, much better than the Dualshock 3 while, at the same time, it feels very, very familiar. You don't need to 'learn' this one at all and the touchpad feels super-natural. Here are my first impressions. I posted a brief video and tried it with a PS3 but, let me share my impressions so far:

- LARGER: yet it still feels comfortable because of the slightly longer handles and them being set at a different angle.
- HEAVIER: yes, it is a little heavier but only a little. Hard to tell how it's going to feel after a few hours of play but I don't believe it's going to be a big issue.
- L3/R3 come with a redesigned top and require less push to click.
- L2/R2 have a trigger-like shape but not exaggerated to the point where your fingers would get stuck. Nice.
- 4 FACE BUTTONS ON RIGHT (triangle, circle, X, square) are smaller, closer together and can be pushed deeper.
- D-PAD didn't change much. The buttons are a little curved.
- PS BUTTON is smaller.
- CHARGES through a USB Micro, NOT a USB Mini port. Charged well both off a PS3 and off a MOVE charger that came with USB ports.
- AUDIO PORT: we'll need something that supports it on the PS4 to try it out
- SPEAKER: haven't had a chance to hear it yet
- TOUCH PAD: it's clickable, feels good to the touch
- LIGHT BAR: turns yellow while charging, flashing white when disconnected
- OPTIONS and SHARE replace the START and SELECT buttons
- RUMBLE: obviously, didn't have a chance to try it yet.

You do NOT get the charging wire which can be any standard USB Type A with a Micro plug at the other end and you do NOT get the earpiece. The packaging says that the PS4 comes with the USB wire but there's no mention of the earpiece.

So far, the new controller is a winner. It feels great to hold and everything appears to be within reach. It works with the PS3 but only in wired mode. Pressing the PS button did not cause the PS3 to respond in any way.

I'm in love already :), looking forward to getting our new PS4, soon.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2014
This controller has the best feel of any that I've used in the past and it was one of the biggest considerations when upgrading from the PS3 after trying out the console in the store. The wider stance and obviously upgraded ergonomics make for a great feeling device in your hand.

The problems:
I wore through the rubber on the left joystick of the first controller within a week. I'm not even a serious gamer so I'd consider my use to be general wear. I've also never experienced this problem on any previous PS controller in the past. After that 1st week of use, the rubber has completely worn through and is exposing the hard plastic underneath.

I purchased a 2nd controller from the Sony store and the L1 button is annoyingly sticky so I think they may have some quality control issues to figure out. I'm also trying to be much more careful with the use of the left joystick with this one.

I'm hoping that they work through some of these quality issues in the next generations because I don't expect the early models to hold up over time.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2014
This controller looks and feels amazing!
review image review image
on October 6, 2014
On 11th broken R2 Trigger! (broken one still in controller)
I buy replacement triggers and replace it myself because its cheaper and quicker than sending it to sony 10 times!
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2014
Ordered Urban Camouflage but got the Blue one ...... SMH ...
review image
on December 15, 2013
I've been looking forward to holding the DualShock 4 since E3, because while holding a controller attached to a demo unit on a crowded showfloor is one thing, having it in the comfort of your home is another. In fact, I spent ten minutes just switching back and forth between the DualShock 3 and 4, just to see how much improved the new controller is. Of course, I would do this before I had to review a PlayStation 3 game. Which is a shame, because the DualShock 3 feels like a boxy toy compared to its successor. It's like getting new glasses: your old ones feel fine, until you've tried the new ones on.

The DualShock 4 feels slightly thinner and longer than the DS3, but the new handgrips are larger and feel far more comfortable in my huge hands. The analog sticks are tighter than they were on the DS3, with a feeling of resistance approaching a 360 controller. Sony has made sticks slightly shorter and added a dip in the center of each one so your thumbs won't slip off. The button click on the analog sticks is not a deep as the DualShock 3, but still noticeable. The new directional pad has a more pronounced dip in the center that draws your thumb there naturally, but otherwise it feels like the same single piece rocker that we've had since the first PlayStation controller.

As Sony confirmed months ago, the face buttons are digital instead of analog this time; no one really used them for analog purposes, so it saves data bandwidth to switch them back to digital. They're closer together on the DualShock 4, making a tighter diamond shape.

"With the DualShock 3, we were able to get analog data, which games didn't really use," Sony Computer Entertainment product planning manager Toshimasa Aoki told VentureBeat last week. "For DualShock 4, we deleted that, and now it's all digital. The mechanism inside is a little different, and the data that games get is different."

The R1 and L1 buttons are a little rounder, while the R2 and L2 trigger have undergone a complete redesign. The triggers are now concave instead of convex; my fingers fell right into place as soon as I picked up the DualShock 4. Even outside of general use, the concave triggers have a second benefit: fewer accidental button presses when you set down the controller, since it now rests on the edge of triggers. R2 and L2 on the DualShock 3 have a sense of greater resistance and springy-ness as they reach their full press, but on the DS4 it's smooth all the way through. As a tiny bonus the names on the top buttons actually face toward you when you're using the controller.

To charge your DualShock 3 you used a mini-USB cable, but the DualShock 4 switches to micro-USB. So if you've purchased a non-Apple portable electronic device in the past four years, you're probably good to go. The controller itself does not come with a micro-USB cable, but one will come with the PlayStation 4. I have a ton of them lying around the house, so I grabbed one and plugged it into my PC to see what would happen.

My Windows 8.1 PC did recognize the controller as a generic USB controller with a total of fourteen buttons: Square, X, Circle, Triangle, L1, R1, L2, R2, L3, R3, Share, Options, the PS button, and the click of the touchpad. The touchpad itself doesn't register and the D-Pad comes up as the "point of view hat", like a flight stick. Oddly enough, the L2 and R2 triggers show up as buttons and change X and Y Rotation in Windows settings. The controller can also be reportedly be paired to a PC with Bluetooth, but I was unable to test that as my motherboard lacks a Bluetooth connection. Fun fact: the controller LED glows amber when hooked into a PC.

I tried it out with a few PC games, but the results weren't all that great. Saints Row IV saw the controller and everything worked... except for the fact that the analog stick was inverted. Pushing down on the stick would make my character more forward and vice versa. There was no way to fix this using the in-game menus. Batman: Arkham City and Far Cry 3 were complete non-starters and neither game recognized the controller at all. Adult Swim's Soundodger worked fine. If you're getting this as a PC controller, I'd say your best bet is to wait. Sony needs to release some PC drivers for the DualShock 4 and I hear they're busy launching a console.

All in all, I think Sony has done a great job with the new DualShock. It's a marked improvement over the DualShock 3, but I'll need more time with an actual game in order to deliver my final verdict. That said Sony's off to a great start, and in previous demos, I've preferred the DualShock 4 to the Xbox One controller.
review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2014
I've always enjoyed the feel of the PS controllers, and the DS4 upped the ante. I think the preference of controller & system choice is subjective to the end user, so I will leave that out of this review.

The subject line says it all, this controller is aesthetically pleasing. I think the urban camo look goes well with the matte grey/black touchpad, buttons, and trackpad. Other than that it's your standard dual shock controller. The initial feeling the controller sticks have is standard with all PS4 controllers; it's great while it lasts but will wear away with due time. (I've seen other reviewers comment that new controllers feel slick or something, this is what I'm referencing..) If you keep your hands clean maybe, and just maybe, you can retain that sweet, sweet new controller stick feeling for a little longer.

Also - big factor here - this was $50 new & AMZ prime elig. when i bought it. This is $15 USD less than it retails for at Gamestop (as of 23.DEC.14).

Note - The controller does not come with a cord. Since initial pairing to the PS4 is a wired process, make sure you have one lying around.
review image