5,339 Reviews
 (3,725)

Well folks, now that the dust has settled from the Sony vs. Immersion lawsuit, Playstation 3 owners are finally able to feel the vibe again!

Published on April 20, 2008 by The Matrix Fan

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!!!!
I think someone out there is selling bootleg controllers.

Published on May 24, 2012 by Slizzdog

5.0 out of 5 stars Tested on Playstation 1, 2, and 3 games - it works GREAT on all of them!, April 20, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black) (Video Game)

I purchased this controller today and I knew the only way to properly road-test it was on the game that made the Dualshock famous, Metal Gear Solid. After booting up the game, I walked down the hallway and got spotted by a guard. As he shouted, "WHO'S THAT?" the controller jumped in my hand - and I knew this was a smart purchase. As the guards shot at me, I felt the feedback of the bullets, just as I had 10 years ago on my Sony Playstation.

I picked out another old school Playstation game, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. From Ayame's blades to Rikimaru's sword, each sword swipe and jump had excellent feedback.

Okay, so my Playstation games worked out. But what about my Playstation 2 library?

I popped in God of War, knowing I had to feel the swing of the Blades of Chaos. The controller vibrations felt a little lighter here, but the vibrations still occurred at the appropriate times.

Then I chose Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Who better to test a vibration controller than the Sultan of Smash? All the power jumps and smashes had the vibrations intact, but they still felt a little on the light side.

All right, so far I was two for two with my Playstation and Playstation 2 test subjects. But what about my Playstation 3 games? Could I possibly hit a trifecta?

I put in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I decided to jump right into a heated firefight. The controller gave me feedback while shooting weapons and getting hit by enemy fire, but I knew my purchase was justified when Drake was near death: I FELT THE DUALSHOCK 3 PULSING IN SYNCH WITH DRAKE'S HEARTBEAT. It's one thing to hear that noise and know he's near death, it's quite another to feel the pulse in my own hands.

Okay, so the feedback on the older games was there, but a little lighter than I remember. The reason? Well, when I decided to go wireless on my Playstation 2 system, I bought a Logitec Dualshock controller. It turns out, that controller takes two "AA" batteries, and the vibration motors inside the controller handles are slightly larger than the ones in the Dualshock 3. That's where I felt the difference.

The Dualshock 3 vibrations may be slightly less than the Logitec controller, but it doesn't require the purchase of batteries.
The Dualshock 3 may be slightly heavier than the SixAxis, but it doesn't take up any extra space at all.

Sure, the price is about $15 more than the SixAxis, but it's a worthy upgrade for the Playstation 3 gamer who kicks it old school as well as new school. The only other drawback is the lack of an additional USB cable - but we can use the one that came with the system itself.

So what's the final verdict?

Order it, plug it in, charge it up, and get ready for the inevitable downloads from the Playstation Store to make the older PS3 games Dualshock 3 compatible.

I wouldn't recommend a feedback peripheral without providing my own feedback...

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to rumble, even with PS 2 games!, April 4, 2008
Sebastian Fernandez (Tampa, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was already extremely happy with the Sixaxis controller, but I could not resist getting the DualShock 3. Not only do you get the rumble, but also, it feels much better in your hands, even for those games that do not use this feature. The rumble function is fun, but on top of that, it helps with gameplay, because "feeling" what is happening provides a lot more feedback than just watching how your character or car reacts to the environment.

The biggest surprise of all was that the rumble works with PS 2 games in the PS 3 system. I am currently playing through "God of War", a game which had the rumble capability in PS 2. I thought that it was unlikely that I was going to get this feature with this new controller in the PS 3, but it worked perfectly.

I know that having to buy a new controller and basically discard the one that came with the system is not the ideal situation, but I have to say this product is really worth shedding the extra bucks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!!!!, May 24, 2012
I think someone out there is selling bootleg controllers.

I purchased this for my girlfriend who was getting into games with me. The feel of it was never right, not from the start. I thought it needed to be broken in and that the L3 and R3 thumb sticks would loosen. I would have to switch controllers with my girlfriend since the sticks were too firm and it effected her gameplay experience. Ultimately those same sticks went haywire and I would lose all control of my character in whatever game I was playing. A total waste of money!!! I felt compelled to return the item, but I threw the packaging and instructions out before these issues were realized.

Stick with what you know, spend the extra money and be certain that you're not being had. You might have to leave Amazon and go to a retail outlet like Best Buy. You need to be 100% positive you're getting authentic Sony products!

If you Google "Fake ps3 controller" and you will see there are people on Amazon and Ebay peddling imitation stuff.
[...]

I was ripped off, don't be a victim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should've been rumble from the start., April 13, 2008
The Gifted One (Charlotte, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The Playstation 2's highly regarded DualShock 2 controller was considered by many to be the best videogame controller of all time. So when you've got a winning design there's no need to change anything. However, because of a legal battle with Immersion over rumble technology, Sony was forced to offer their Sixaxis controller without rumble. The Sixaxis had the same Dualshock design but it felt too lightweight and cheap. Thankfully the lawsuit has been settled and rumble has come back to the Playstation.

For the most part, the DualShock 3 is almost identical to its PS2 precessor. But it has all the features of the original Sixaxis controller in addition to rumble. The controller is still wireless, can be charged by plugging it into your PS3 (or PC), rumble is compatible with all PS1 and PS2 games, and the PS3 supports up to 7 controllers at the same time via bluetooth. Rumble in the DualShock 3 seems more responsive in regards to the location of its vibration depending on which side you get hit on during the games. I don't know if this is something in the design or if it's the developers doing it for the games but I welcome it.

All in all this is currently the best designed controller on the market right now. The PS2's DS2 was incredible so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. I'll be enjoying rumble in my PS3 games from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars No usb cable to charge it uncluded????, January 23, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The controller is great, but I can't believe they don't include the usb cable to charge it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the Rumble., April 8, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
For the past year and a half something has been missing. You don't know what it is but theirs a void and somehow you want to fill it if only you could figure out what it is. You've played Resistance, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, and Uncharted but something doesn't feel the same. Well worry no more your fears can now be relieved. Rumble is back to bring many of the PS3 best games to life. Granted we shouldn't have had to wait for this controller and its been a painful wait for Sony to settle the lawsuit and get the dualshock 3 into our gamer hands. But at least now its here and without it your truly missing out on that last bit of immersion games have been giving us for many years now.

Its not a new feature, of course, but its a necessary one. As a PS3 owner I've missed it and I've taken issue with Sony leaving it out of the sixaxis. No we can have our rumble and feel it too. The controller has a great weighty feel to it. Still includes the motion sensing of the original sixaxis controller. The rumble works on all of the best games, except for Call of Duty 4 but I'm sure a patch will be available in the future. You really can't ask for more. Its rechargable without the need to buy anything extra. Consider all the batteries you don't have to buy and it pays for itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, but it still needs some changes., April 17, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Sony's stuck with their controller design since the mid-90s, and regardless of the criticism they've gotten for it, it's a design that works. The Dualshock is comfortable, light, and the buttons are all easily accessible. With this newest version, it's wireless, so no more cords in the way! The Dualshock 3 looks nearly identical to the previous two models, but with the obvious PlayStation button in the center, and the L2 and R2 triggers being more triggers than buttons now. But there are a few irks that I still have with the design that I doubt will be corrected, at least directly by Sony.

Everyone knows how the controller is, so I don't really need to go into the pros. But I might as well just to seem like I'm not bashing the controller, even if it gets a good rating from me. Comfort, well-spaced buttons, pressure sensitivity even for the d-pad, and no lag (some wireless controllers have this still). The cons however, which seem to be only pointed out by me and a handful of people, keep this from being a perfect controller. First, I hate the d-pad. It sucks for most fighting games like BlazBlue and Street Fighter, like doing special move configurations. I still can't do Shoryuken motions without screwing up on a regular basis because the directional buttons are separate. How hard is it to connect the buttons together so you can get one smooth flowing motion? The Xbox S controller's d-pad was perfect, and playing Guilty Gear X2 #Reload was so effortless, you'd think Sony would've borrowed from that aspect of Microsoft's design. This is really the only genre, at least that I've played, that suffers from the d-pad, and it's good for every other kind of game. But my other complaint is that the analog sticks still feel too loose to me. Every other analog stick, from the Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Xbox and even GameCube, feel perfect and tight, but Sony's tend to run on the loose side. Playing LittleBigPlanet, which uses the analog stick instead of the d-pad [like it should] was something that took the fun out of that game for me.

There's one more con, but it has nothing to do with the controller itself. It's that no controller recharging cable is included. Yep, if you lost the one that came with your ps3, you're not getting an extra one here. Also, and this one's really minor and only for the super picky people, but someone's gotta mention it, the controls when watching a dvd and a Blu-Ray are different. I don't get why they did that, but if you watch a dvd and then go for a blu-ray, prepare to adjust to different settings for the buttons' quick actions without going to the menu.

Some people complain that the Dualshock 3 needs to be recharged too quickly, 'only' lasting 4-5 hours before needing to recharge. I used to play games a lot, and now I'm down to -maybe- 2 hours per sitting, but 4-5 hours seems a bit long to me, so it needing to recharge after that much time seems reasonable. This is a good controller, and while third party companies have made versions with the d-pad design I like, the overall quality lacks compared to what Sony puts out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Digistore is COUNTERFEIT, FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!, May 26, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Do not buy the pink controller from Digistore, It is a fake, the joysticks are very stiff the buttons are taller and with dull ink, it also has a hard time syncing with console. Battery last 5 minutes tops. The sticker on the back is simply paper, not the plasticized decal on authentic sonys. Apearence-wise its a good fake, but use it and you'll know All the classic signs of a counterfeit. this isn't worth $5, much less $45 and two weeks of waiting. AVOID DIGISTORE, they are thieves who knowingly sell cheap knock offs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Controller Ever Made in My Opinion, April 5, 2008
Mike Sweeney (Salisbury, MA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Honestly, words cannot say how much more I love this controller compared to the Sixaxis wireless controller for the PS3. I actually got my DualShock 3 imported from Japan back in February and have used it all the time on my PS3. I have only played with the Dual Shock for PS2 and PS1 games though and not PS3 games yet since I only have 2 games that do not support rumble for the system. I can say that the Rumbling feature is 100% the same as the Dual Shock 2 for the PS2!

First off, the weight difference is significant compared to the Sixaxis. You can tell no doubt which controller is which once you pick up both a Sixaxis and Dual Shock 3.

Second, they now have 3 different colors for the controller which is pretty sweet cause now you can buy the controller in Silver, Black, and White.

Now, to review on the rumbling itself, well, IT'S AWESOME!!! It's 100% accurate once something happens in a game where the controller is supposed to rumble and it gives you that feeling of awesomeness when playing games that have the rumble feature.

The ONLY con I have to say about this controller is that sometimes it can drain the battery a bit quickly, but hey, I would take this controller 100 times as much compared to the Sixaxis.

Overall, no doubt this product deserves 100 stars, but I can only give it 5.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FROM THINKCHEAPGEEKS, December 22, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Beware for those who wants to purchase PS3 controllerthat is below $40, especially from ThinkCheapGeeks.
I too became a victim of cheap knockoff controller.

First off, the delivery took way too long, nearly a MONTH. I ordered the controller on Nov. 27th and the darn thing arrived around Dec. 20th! Nearly a month? For a controller? Really?

The product came all the way from China and I became skeptical due to the story of fake products China makes (they even made iPhone 5G which is obviously fake). The moment I opened the package, I immediately recognized the controller being cheap knockoff. The right analog stick is elevated compared to left analog stick. Both analog sticks makes a very loud clicking noise when pushed. The analog stick doesn't feel smooth at all. When I hold the controller in my hand the plastic edges are sharp and I feel like it's digging through my skin. The triggers and bumpers are very springy and feels uncomfortable to push. The X button feels like it's stuck. Also when I shake my controller I hear a rattling noises.

I requested for a return but ThinkCheapGeeks closed my request. So not only I got a cheap knockoff controller, I can't get my money back!
You get what you pay, BEWARE PURCHASING CHEAP CONTROLLER AND STAY AWAY FROM THINKCHEAPGEEKS.

PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black)
PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black) by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
$54.99 $32.95