5,360
PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black)
Color: BlackChange
Price:$50.98 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 8, 2015
I purchased this from the seller GP&Associates. It is not an official Sony controller. It looks almost identical to the real thing, but the product sticker on the back is not the correct label, and the model number is not correct either. I've taken apart both this controller and a genuine Dualshock 3 controller, and the innards are vastly different as well. I've been severely dissapointed, so please be careful which company you purchase this controller from. The model number should be CECHZC2U, whereas this one is CECHZC2H
review image
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Well folks, now that the dust has settled from the Sony vs. Immersion lawsuit, Playstation 3 owners are finally able to feel the vibe again!

I purchased this controller today and I knew the only way to properly road-test it was on the game that made the Dualshock famous, Metal Gear Solid. After booting up the game, I walked down the hallway and got spotted by a guard. As he shouted, "WHO'S THAT?" the controller jumped in my hand - and I knew this was a smart purchase. As the guards shot at me, I felt the feedback of the bullets, just as I had 10 years ago on my Sony Playstation.

I picked out another old school Playstation game, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. From Ayame's blades to Rikimaru's sword, each sword swipe and jump had excellent feedback.

Okay, so my Playstation games worked out. But what about my Playstation 2 library?

I popped in God of War, knowing I had to feel the swing of the Blades of Chaos. The controller vibrations felt a little lighter here, but the vibrations still occurred at the appropriate times.

Then I chose Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Who better to test a vibration controller than the Sultan of Smash? All the power jumps and smashes had the vibrations intact, but they still felt a little on the light side.

All right, so far I was two for two with my Playstation and Playstation 2 test subjects. But what about my Playstation 3 games? Could I possibly hit a trifecta?

I put in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I decided to jump right into a heated firefight. The controller gave me feedback while shooting weapons and getting hit by enemy fire, but I knew my purchase was justified when Drake was near death: I FELT THE DUALSHOCK 3 PULSING IN SYNCH WITH DRAKE'S HEARTBEAT. It's one thing to hear that noise and know he's near death, it's quite another to feel the pulse in my own hands.

Okay, so the feedback on the older games was there, but a little lighter than I remember. The reason? Well, when I decided to go wireless on my Playstation 2 system, I bought a Logitec Dualshock controller. It turns out, that controller takes two "AA" batteries, and the vibration motors inside the controller handles are slightly larger than the ones in the Dualshock 3. That's where I felt the difference.

The Dualshock 3 vibrations may be slightly less than the Logitec controller, but it doesn't require the purchase of batteries.
The Dualshock 3 may be slightly heavier than the SixAxis, but it doesn't take up any extra space at all.

Sure, the price is about $15 more than the SixAxis, but it's a worthy upgrade for the Playstation 3 gamer who kicks it old school as well as new school. The only other drawback is the lack of an additional USB cable - but we can use the one that came with the system itself.

So what's the final verdict?

Order it, plug it in, charge it up, and get ready for the inevitable downloads from the Playstation Store to make the older PS3 games Dualshock 3 compatible.

I wouldn't recommend a feedback peripheral without providing my own feedback...

Enjoy!
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was already extremely happy with the Sixaxis controller, but I could not resist getting the DualShock 3. Not only do you get the rumble, but also, it feels much better in your hands, even for those games that do not use this feature. The rumble function is fun, but on top of that, it helps with gameplay, because "feeling" what is happening provides a lot more feedback than just watching how your character or car reacts to the environment.

The biggest surprise of all was that the rumble works with PS 2 games in the PS 3 system. I am currently playing through "God of War", a game which had the rumble capability in PS 2. I thought that it was unlikely that I was going to get this feature with this new controller in the PS 3, but it worked perfectly.

I know that having to buy a new controller and basically discard the one that came with the system is not the ideal situation, but I have to say this product is really worth shedding the extra bucks.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 13, 2008
The Playstation 2's highly regarded DualShock 2 controller was considered by many to be the best videogame controller of all time. So when you've got a winning design there's no need to change anything. However, because of a legal battle with Immersion over rumble technology, Sony was forced to offer their Sixaxis controller without rumble. The Sixaxis had the same Dualshock design but it felt too lightweight and cheap. Thankfully the lawsuit has been settled and rumble has come back to the Playstation.

For the most part, the DualShock 3 is almost identical to its PS2 precessor. But it has all the features of the original Sixaxis controller in addition to rumble. The controller is still wireless, can be charged by plugging it into your PS3 (or PC), rumble is compatible with all PS1 and PS2 games, and the PS3 supports up to 7 controllers at the same time via bluetooth. Rumble in the DualShock 3 seems more responsive in regards to the location of its vibration depending on which side you get hit on during the games. I don't know if this is something in the design or if it's the developers doing it for the games but I welcome it.

All in all this is currently the best designed controller on the market right now. The PS2's DS2 was incredible so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. I'll be enjoying rumble in my PS3 games from now on.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 23, 2009
The controller is great, but I can't believe they don't include the usb cable to charge it!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 17, 2010
Sony's stuck with their controller design since the mid-90s, and regardless of the criticism they've gotten for it, it's a design that works. The Dualshock is comfortable, light, and the buttons are all easily accessible. With this newest version, it's wireless, so no more cords in the way! The Dualshock 3 looks nearly identical to the previous two models, but with the obvious PlayStation button in the center, and the L2 and R2 triggers being more triggers than buttons now. But there are a few irks that I still have with the design that I doubt will be corrected, at least directly by Sony.

Everyone knows how the controller is, so I don't really need to go into the pros. But I might as well just to seem like I'm not bashing the controller, even if it gets a good rating from me. Comfort, well-spaced buttons, pressure sensitivity even for the d-pad, and no lag (some wireless controllers have this still). The cons however, which seem to be only pointed out by me and a handful of people, keep this from being a perfect controller. First, I hate the d-pad. It sucks for most fighting games like BlazBlue and Street Fighter, like doing special move configurations. I still can't do Shoryuken motions without screwing up on a regular basis because the directional buttons are separate. How hard is it to connect the buttons together so you can get one smooth flowing motion? The Xbox S controller's d-pad was perfect, and playing Guilty Gear X2 #Reload was so effortless, you'd think Sony would've borrowed from that aspect of Microsoft's design. This is really the only genre, at least that I've played, that suffers from the d-pad, and it's good for every other kind of game. But my other complaint is that the analog sticks still feel too loose to me. Every other analog stick, from the Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Xbox and even GameCube, feel perfect and tight, but Sony's tend to run on the loose side. Playing LittleBigPlanet, which uses the analog stick instead of the d-pad [like it should] was something that took the fun out of that game for me.

There's one more con, but it has nothing to do with the controller itself. It's that no controller recharging cable is included. Yep, if you lost the one that came with your ps3, you're not getting an extra one here. Also, and this one's really minor and only for the super picky people, but someone's gotta mention it, the controls when watching a dvd and a Blu-Ray are different. I don't get why they did that, but if you watch a dvd and then go for a blu-ray, prepare to adjust to different settings for the buttons' quick actions without going to the menu.

Some people complain that the Dualshock 3 needs to be recharged too quickly, 'only' lasting 4-5 hours before needing to recharge. I used to play games a lot, and now I'm down to -maybe- 2 hours per sitting, but 4-5 hours seems a bit long to me, so it needing to recharge after that much time seems reasonable. This is a good controller, and while third party companies have made versions with the d-pad design I like, the overall quality lacks compared to what Sony puts out.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 28, 2015
Do not purchase this product or you will get non original products.
I purchased 2 of them and both are fake and of bad quality!
Check the stickers on the back of the controllers, are not the original ones.
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 22, 2011
Beware for those who wants to purchase PS3 controllerthat is below $40, especially from ThinkCheapGeeks.
I too became a victim of cheap knockoff controller.

First off, the delivery took way too long, nearly a MONTH. I ordered the controller on Nov. 27th and the darn thing arrived around Dec. 20th! Nearly a month? For a controller? Really?

The product came all the way from China and I became skeptical due to the story of fake products China makes (they even made iPhone 5G which is obviously fake). The moment I opened the package, I immediately recognized the controller being cheap knockoff. The right analog stick is elevated compared to left analog stick. Both analog sticks makes a very loud clicking noise when pushed. The analog stick doesn't feel smooth at all. When I hold the controller in my hand the plastic edges are sharp and I feel like it's digging through my skin. The triggers and bumpers are very springy and feels uncomfortable to push. The X button feels like it's stuck. Also when I shake my controller I hear a rattling noises.

I requested for a return but ThinkCheapGeeks closed my request. So not only I got a cheap knockoff controller, I can't get my money back!
You get what you pay, BEWARE PURCHASING CHEAP CONTROLLER AND STAY AWAY FROM THINKCHEAPGEEKS.
on April 6, 2008
Honestly, words cannot say how much more I love this controller compared to the Sixaxis wireless controller for the PS3. I actually got my DualShock 3 imported from Japan back in February and have used it all the time on my PS3. I have only played with the Dual Shock for PS2 and PS1 games though and not PS3 games yet since I only have 2 games that do not support rumble for the system. I can say that the Rumbling feature is 100% the same as the Dual Shock 2 for the PS2!

First off, the weight difference is significant compared to the Sixaxis. You can tell no doubt which controller is which once you pick up both a Sixaxis and Dual Shock 3.

Second, they now have 3 different colors for the controller which is pretty sweet cause now you can buy the controller in Silver, Black, and White.

Now, to review on the rumbling itself, well, IT'S AWESOME!!! It's 100% accurate once something happens in a game where the controller is supposed to rumble and it gives you that feeling of awesomeness when playing games that have the rumble feature.

The ONLY con I have to say about this controller is that sometimes it can drain the battery a bit quickly, but hey, I would take this controller 100 times as much compared to the Sixaxis.

Overall, no doubt this product deserves 100 stars, but I can only give it 5.
on June 2, 2012
First time I have ever written an Amazon customer review. I feel I need to. I just opened this controller's packaging and it didn't feel right in my hands. I figured that it had just been a long time since I bought a new one (though I go through them pretty fast - I only play the NHL series of games, but I must play pretty ferociously because mangle the controllers). Then certain buttons started showing problems as soon as I began playing - the directional pad doesn't work sometimes, the R1 button gets stuck, the R2 trigger is not responsive AT ALL (I guess the counterfeiters didn't figure out how to make them properly touch-sensitive).

This is CLEARLY, a knock-off controller. Like, you have to be an absolute idiot to think that this thing is real. I'm shocked at how many 5-star reviews this thing has... I mean, you can play with it, but it is obviously, obviously fake. People are unbelievably stupid. I looked at this page and thought I was crazy seeing all the five-star reviews that appeared. Thankfully I'm not, as you can see from the fact that there are over 100 reviews noting that it is a counterfeit. You would think at least one of those would appear on the main page, no? You would think the algorithm that determines what appears would hone in on words like "fake" and "counterfeit," no? Really disappointed in Amazon for wasting my time with this.

EDIT: Actually, here's the problem: Amazon combines the reviews for EVERY DIFFERENT SELLER OF THESE CONTROLLERS, so the 5-star reviews are all for the real ones sold by Amazon or other legitimate sellers, which allows the counterfeiters and bootleggers to slide through the cracks mostly undetected. How can Amazon let that happen!?!?!

And shame on Amazon for not taking greater care when selling goods. They are breaking the law by "fulfilling" these orders, since these fake controllers are using all of Sony's marks and they have a fake sticker on the back of them and everything. Also, shame on Amazon for basically hiding the fact that this was sold by whatever fake company sells these and only "fulfilled by Amazon" - if that was more apparent on the page, I NEVER would have wasted my time ordering this.

Way to go being complicit in criminal activity, Amazon!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations