5.0 out of 5 stars Great accessory for those wanting a stand for their vita
The Vita Cradle is a very basic idea and is one of those accessories that some may feel "ripped off" by (for another example, see the PS3 vertical stand that many complain about it) and to tell you the truth.. it's not for everyone.

For those who would use this type of accessory though, the cradle is a must-have.

My first reaction to it was "Wow,...
Published on February 13, 2012 by MiRSD

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, but a pretty nice dock.
Nothing special. What will throw some people off is that there's no cord included. Fortunately, you'll have the one from your Vita. Because of that, it's roughly twice the amount it should cost, in my opinion. It does look nice, and feels solid.

Published on April 22, 2012 by L. Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great accessory for those wanting a stand for their vita, February 13, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)

My first reaction to it was "Wow, this is light!" - I previously had a "Hori Portable Display Stand" for the PSP and loved it.. and using the new Vita Cradle I'm even more impressed.

The PSP stand was much larger (which was fine for a desk, but not really portable). It also weighed quite a bit more and had no electronics (it was literally a molded block of plastic to rest the PSP on). With that said, it worked great as a display stand for either storing the PSP when not in use, while charging, or for watching movies.

The Vita cradle improves on this idea by adding actual electronics to it (the center of the stand has a USB attachment that the vita rest on). The rear of the cradle has a Vita USB input and Line Out audio jack. You will need your own PS Vita USB Cable to use this stand for charging or syncing. While it has the ports on it, the cables are not included. It's also worth noting that the USB input on the back requires a USB cable (it would have been nice if they used a more standard cable design - something like a Mini USB cable - so that you can use your vita cable as a spare or to take with you for times you might need to use it (charging the vita on the go, etc..)

I was very impressed with just how light the stand is - despite having some electronics in it, it feels incredibly light (about the weight of an empty Vita game case). One problem with the PSP stands were that they were quite heavy -- not a problem for sitting on your desk, but you can't really take it "on the go" with you.

With the smaller profile of the cradle, it can also easily fit into your bag (I was able to fit it into the official PS Vita Travel Pouch without issues, placing it in the "accessories" side where the game cards, AC adapter and USB cables would normally go). There is still room to hold a PS vita.

Quality is OK - I think it can take a couple drops, but with the light material used I can also see it getting scratched/showing wear, or even snapping pieces off if dropped onto a hard (concrete) floor from more than a few feet.

The front design looks very nice (it's a brushed metal look with a Playstation logo in the center) - much nicer than the (more functional) PS Vita stands out there that feature speakers. The front panel is also covered with a clear plastic.

The back Line Out output has a 3.5mm connector (standard headphone-sized) and can be used to either plug headphones into it (unlikely situation) or connect it to an external set of speakers (more likely situation). This makes it great for movie viewing (it's also angled just for that purpose!). Whether you choose to connect it to a set of external speakers or not, you have a much nicer hands-free view of the screen (which will help with movie watching or listening to music while still being able to easily see/access the screen).

While the material it's made of is very light, I'm OK with that simply because it makes the unit more portable (if you're watching movies on it, there isn't too much reason to watch it at your desk at home when you have easy access to other video sources (computer/blu-ray players/dvd players/large TV's/PS3's) - if you're watching movies on it, you're probably away from the home. If that's the case, you don't want to carry a stand as big, heavy and bulky as the vita itself.. so this design really works nicely.

What I would have really liked, to make this product even better..

* 2 Inputs (either 2 vita USB inputs or 1 Vita input + 1 AC input) so you can charge and sync without constantly swapping the USB cable)
* TV out (in addition to the Audio out) so you can watch movies on a larger screen, or a front headphone output
* Ability for it to fold into itself - the design is good but it seems like it should be able to compact down to about half of it's size (this might come at the expense of making it more fragile though).

Overall, very happy with it - well worth the money, but not for everyone.

If you never plan to sit it down on a desk (ie: you always store it in a bag), never want to "display it" and never plan to watch movies on it.. you don't need this. I fyou plan to do any of the above, this is a great item to have,

4.0 out of 5 stars Get what you paid for, February 23, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)
Honestly I wasn't expecting much from the cradle, besides its a thing I can put my Vita into to charge it rather than leaving it on its back. However it would have been nice if, like the PSP Go, the screen transitioned to a clock face when plugged in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Add On For The PS Vita But Read Info On What It Has, February 13, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)
Probably like the previous reviewer some people might think that the cradle comes with its own AC adapter power cable, it doesn't nor has it implied that it ever did. You must read the information of a product carefully and also check online about the product you can't just assume it's going to have something and get annoyed when it doesn't. The cradle is about the width size of a paperback book but the design feels sturdy enough though as expected the cradle is made of plastic it won't break easily unless you step on it or intentionally break it. The back of the cradle has the adapter port to plug attach the ac power adapter to as well as an audio output port for mini-speakers as well. So again while you do get the PS Vita cradle with an instruction booklet you will not get a power cable or anything else but no fears on the cable as you will get that with the PS Vita itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for watching movies on the Vita or for the alarm clock app., April 25, 2014
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)
Nothing out of the ordinary for this accessory. Sturdy build and lovely finish. This is ideal for watching any videos on the Vita or using the Wake-Up Alarm app. It's a beautiful, secure way to charge your Vita while displaying it and/or using it. It has an input for external speakers (which I haven't made use of yet but is a nice feature to have).

*As it says in the description it does NOT come with an extra charger.*

It's a simple, worthwhile, and recommended accessory for any gamer with a Vita.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sleek Way to Charge and Display Your Vita, April 13, 2014
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)
My husband and I are in the midst of updating our gaming room at home and making it more organized, and one of the things I was looking to do was find some way to display our handhelds. I wanted something that would preferably show my systems facing outright, and if it charged the system, that was a huge plus (if not a must). My Vita was always sitting on some surface, kind of in the way or just cluttered on something when I wasn't playing it. I bought this, hoping it would be what I was looking for.

This does exactly what I want it to do. It's simple, sleek, and nice looking without being clunky or overly complicated. The Vita is cradled on this upright and outright, so that its screen displays exactly as I wanted. It also connects to the charging cable that comes with the Vita. The charging cable connects to the cradle in the back, and then you sit your Vita on the cradle and it charges it without problem, allowing you to keep the charging cable attached to the cradle at all times and pick your Vita up from your display flawlessly to play it. If only I could find a similar cradle for my other systems (PSP 3000 and 3DS XL), I'd be set. This is the only cradle I've found throughout hours of searching that will do exactly as I intended.

The ONLY problem I can see this having for anyone is that the Vita can't have a case on it to sit in the cradle. I had a very thin, metallic snap-together case for my Vita, but I had to pick either that or using this cradle because the Vita just couldn't fit with the case on. This was to be expected, however, so I didn't mind at all. I'd much rather have a convenient set up and keep my charging cables back behind furniture with this thing than to have the case on it, so this didn't bother me a bit.

I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to have a convenient place to set their Vita when they're not playing it, and pick it back up later, fully charged. This cradle is awesome and I couldn't be happier with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vita Cradle, February 10, 2014
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)
This is a good item to keep on your bedside table for "Wake Up Club". Also good for desks, tables, etc. It is pretty sleek looking, and holds the vita securely. It's a hard plastic, and doesn't feel cheap. If you have a vita, I would get this, my only complaint is I feel it should be cheaper, just under $10 or so. But a good accessory for the vita.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy and compact..."minimalist" is definitely the word here., February 29, 2012
C. J. Mitchell (Richland, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)
This cradle designed for the PS Vita is definitely sleek and handy. It has a small footprint on a surface (roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the 3DS charge cradle's) and stands the Vita at about a 30-degree angle from the vertical, which is great if you want to set it down to charge but watch a video or play a casual touch game. The bottom has grippy rubber component that work pretty well on most surfaces, unless you're a really enthusiastic touch gamer. The color scheme matches the Vita, with a polished metal surface on the front with the PS logo and plastic throughout. The plastic parts don't look that indestructable, but that's probably not going to be an issue other than with travel.

The back panel where you plug in your Vita's adapter also has an audio-out port. Though this isn't the most convenient location if you're trying to plug in headphones, it's better if you're using an audio-out to a stereo, and putting it in the back also improves the look of the dock overall.

As other reviewers have noted, the dock does not come with a second adapter and charge cable. Personally, since I don't usually cart my chargers with me, this isn't a big deal. I doubt many people will find it that inconvenient. (Let's face it: how lazy are you if you throw a fit when you need to go fetch a charger from the next room?) Sony at least had the decency to make the charger a standard USB on one end, so buying just a (PSP-specific of course) USB cable would be a workable solution paired with a computer. [Edit, via comment: Yes, I confirmed that the USB cable only charges when connected to the official Sony brick or when connected and completely powered off to a PS3 or PC USB port. Apparently the Nook charger works, but I don't own one. You can mod a USB extension cable via instructions found on the internet to make other chargers work, but I can't recommend that.]

Bottom line: yes, everything you buy from Sony is probably going to leave you wondering why they left out some feature or another, but in the end it's still a good product, and worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, but a pretty nice dock., April 22, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)

It will not charge while plugged into your computer. I'm not sure about the PS3. I haven't really needed to plug it in there yet. I download Vita games directly, on the system, via Wifi. Overall, I'm glad I have a dock, and this one is nice.

3 out of 5. Minus two for being overpriced and no cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really needed, February 26, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)
After I got used to the charging stand that comes with the 3ds, thought it would be nice to have one for the vita. I have to say, the 3ds is much easier to drop onto the stand and be sure that it is charging. The vita connection is more like an iphone 30 pin, so it feels like putting an iphone on a dock.

The angle that it holds it at is nice, and it looks pretty slick. Not sure if it is worth $20 but no other option if you want a stand.

3.0 out of 5 stars One glaring flaw, March 2, 2012
Amazon Customer (Maybe California) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Cradle (Video Game)
I purchased this to be a docking/power station. It is nice looking and other reviewers have covered the basics, so I will cut right to what I consider to be the huge flaw. When headphones are connected to the cradle, you cannot adjust the sound. It disables the physical buttons that do so, and automatically locks the volume at what I consider to loud for earbuds. I hope they rectify this in a later firmware pouch. As of now, it earned Amazon another sale, as I bought some earbuds with volume control.

PlayStation Vita Cradle
PlayStation Vita Cradle by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation Vita)
$19.99 $8.70