5.0 out of 5 stars FIXES for ATT and wifi GLITCHES!
With the looming 3G launch, get ready for overwhelming ATT website access issues! Here's the problems and their fixes:

Published on February 20, 2012 by Let's Compare Options

3.0 out of 5 stars The Vita is nice, the bundle is not
Published on February 17, 2012 by ThisIsNot

5.0 out of 5 stars FIXES for ATT and wifi GLITCHES!, February 20, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)

1. When you first power up, the getting started screens will take you through the normal language, location, time etc. stuff. DO NOT sign up for ATT 3G in this initial setup! Decline and click "sign up later." If you don't, you'll go to the overwhelmed ATT website, and suddenly your input will start delaying, then, the screen will freeze with black or blue death.

Fix: The blue-glowing playstation button is a combined escape and control-alt-delete. If it doesn't clear the freeze, hold the power button for 5 seconds, wait a second or two, then hold it again for 5 seconds and you'll get the setup screen again. This time DON'T sign up for ATT OR the PS3 network. Finish the setup, DO NOT opt into the PS3 network at this stage (Sony has now changed the name of this network to SEN for smart TV's, but Vita still calls it both) until setup is complete. Once you complete setup, you can go back and opt into ATT (at 14 bucks a month for 250 m) AND sign up for SEN/ PS3 online.

2. Once you get ATT, beware of unplugging wifi.

Fix: Even if you acquired and activated wifi at setup, once you activate ATT, Vita will default to 3G even if you're hot on wifi, kicking your setup wifi off. You have to go back into settings and reacquire wifi. DO THIS right away or you'll be charged by ATT even for setting up PS3 SEN!

3. Missing handshake numbers (IMEI and ICCID).

Fix: If you blow the first attempt to activate on ATT's overwhelmed website, try it a 3am on a weekday, not 11 am on a Saturday! Also, if you blow the first attempt, on the second, the auto fill for your device sometimes won't work, and ATT won't recognize the device because the two long ID's will be missing. In the background, ATT actually checks your location and assigns you a ghost phone number. That's right, your Vita will get it's own number, but until Verizon gets into the act, I doubt that we'll be able to do any phone activities other than on Skype! ATT WILL email the heck out of you, including giving you the ghost number you can't use.

Did you save the box? Numbers not there! Don't despair! Go to settings, system, then system information. The last two numbers (IMEI and ICCID) are stored in your device. These are the two numbers you need to activate the service on ATTs website.

4. PS3 Net.

Just like Facebook, SEN won't accept email addresses that aren't common extensions. So, if your email is Contact@JaneDoe.com, they will first accept it, then kick you off at the end of the tedious number by number input on the little Vita screen. Too bad ATT/Sony didn't include a direct web signup for your PC, but because of device recognition, you have to do it initially through the Vita, unless you already have a PS3 account from another Sony device.

Fix: Just get JaneDoe@gmail.com (or Yahoo, your cable, etc.). Mac users: Sony WILL accept me.com addresses.

That's it for now. I don't have to tell you this is an incredible machine, I own them all to develop elearning products for every platform, and this smokes any other handheld, including the ipad and galaxy 10.1 in real arcade like action. BTW, are there any arcades left, or am I dating myself???

;=) Please vote this helpful if you liked, if not, let me know how we can improve.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the PSP, you will like the Vita. But ..., February 15, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)
I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a Vita and spend a good deal of time playing two games that I was looking forward to - Uncharted and Wipeout 2048 and two others.

I won't waste time regurgitating the stats on the device - you can see for yourself on the Vita page on Amazon and chances are if you are interested in the device then you are a motivated buyer who did some kind of research ahead of time. So here is my (somewhat) abridged impressions:

(For full disclosure, I own a PS3/XBOX/Wii/PSP/3DS/DS/iPad2/iPhone4S etc.)

1. Initially I was concerned about the size of the Vita. Some early reports said it was bulky and felt cheap. While I can't dispute that the shell is made of mostly hard plastic, it still felt pretty good. The weight of the device felt balanced, and while the Vita is "big" to the eye, it is not heavy to the touch and has a nice sleek look to it. The design is also more comfortable thanks to the rounded edges and redesigned appearance.

2. The resolution of the screen is nice. Images were vivid. Pictures were clear. The front touchscreen works extremely well and all in all I was impressed at Sony's (albeit late) foray in to the world of touch handheld gaming devices. However, upon playing the games, I can say with 100% certainty that the games definitely look fantastic - but they are NOT PS3 quality. I'm sure many of you already know that, but I just want to inform those who are expecting to play their PS3 on a handheld system. For me it was more like PS 2.5 graphics - much better than the PS2, but not quite PS3.

3. The browsing speed of the 3G version was okay. I wasn't extremely blown away. I experimented with surfing various sites and found the download speed to be inconsistent. Some pages loaded extremely fast, others were slow. But keep in mind this is on a 3G connection so it is an issue that can affect other devices as well. Nonetheless, I did enjoy surfing on the device thanks to the big screen.

4. The buttons were easy to use, though the D pad and the buttons feel somewhat small and might be a bit tricky to use for people with fat fingers. The dual analog sticks feel comfortable and easy to use. They are a bit small and you can't click on them, but trust me, it's great to have two sticks on the device. It just makes playing games feel much more natural and gives the Vita a nice console-feel to it.

5. The picture quality of the camera is okay, but not better than what I take on my iPhone 4S. However, I do like the fact there are dual cameras. My only gripe about the front camera is that it is located very close to the buttons and it is easy to smudge that area of the Vita given its location on the device.

6. Video quality is decent. I really enjoyed watching some music videos on the big Vita screen. However, while the clarity of the videos is nothing to sneeze at, it doesn't blow what I see iPhone 4S out of the water. Nonetheless it is more than fine for most people and again, I really like the big screen. Just note that the Vita does not support HTML 5 video (it does support parts of HTML 5, but just not the video component of it) or flash. Hopefully that will change down the road.

7. The UI is very easy to navigate. It is easy to launch games, apps and manage your settings on the touch screen. I was very pleased with this aspect of the Vita as well.

Quick Game Impressions:

Uncharted - Definitely the sharpest looking game that I tried. The graphics are solid and they are impressive the second you turn on the game. It may not blow away what you see on the PS3, but it is definitely the game that you show off to your friends when you carry your shiny new Vita around. The gameplay is smooth, and I like how it incorporates touch actions (like taps and wipes) to in-game combat and movement. Definitely a must-get launch game.

Wipeout 2048 - If you played Wipeout before, then there isn't a lot here that you won't be familiar with. It's a high speed racing game with sexy graphics. But honestly after playing for 15 minutes, I got kind of bored. It's pretty, but it's nothing I haven't experienced before. The load times were also a bit long. I wouldn't consider this a MUST get.

Little Deviants (included with the First Edition Bundle) - A surprisingly fun game that makes (great) use of the rear touchpad. It might feel funny at first, but after you get used to the (excellent) rear touchpad, you'll be addicted to this platformer's string of fun minigames. I had way more fun playing this than Wipeout (to my surprise).

ModNation Racers - Essentially a PS clone of Mario Kart, with lots of colorful graphics and the ability for you to modify your racer/cars etc. Initially I was impressed with the customization options, but once I actually got to the race, I found the game to be too similar to Mario Kart but without the charm. The gameplay itself was alright and the car I tried out controlled okay, but overall the graphics also didn't blow me away.

If you do buy a Vita, I would recommend Uncharted and Little Deviants as good first round buys. I can say this, I definitely had more fun with these games than any of the 3DS launch games (no dig at Nintendo as I do think the 3DS has some fine games as well, but Sony seems to have at least done a better job at launch time here in the U.S.)

Now to the But ... in my title. My only main gripe with the Vita (so far) is the expensive cost of the memory cards. It is annoying that you can't buy anything other than Sony's Vita-only memory and paying $100 for a 32GB card does seem very excessive. You also have to get used to gripping the Vita in a different way to utilize the rear touch screen, but again, that's more about learning something new than anything else. The pricetag is also somewhat hefty, but to me it's worthwhile if you are into games, which leads me to ...

All in all - if you are a hardcore gamer, you'll love this toy. It's not a PS3 in your hand, but it comes pretty darn close. Even though it has tablet-wannabe ambitions at times, in the end the Vita is a solid handheld gaming system for people who CARE about and LOVE games - plain and simple.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Vita is nice, the bundle is not, February 17, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)
I gave this a 3 out of 5 stars simply because the bundle is not worth the high cost just to own it a week early. Had I known a few things, I would have waited until the 22nd to buy just the 3G version. So this isn't going to be a review of the Vita but rather the package. The Vita itself is a drastic improvement over the previous PSP releases and anyone looking for a home console-like experience on the go should definitely pick it up.

As for the package, things are hit or miss. The included case, although smelling like some type of industrial waste, is rather nice. It has enough space to hold 5 games (6 if you keep one in the Vita), the included USB cable, and the included AC adapter. Not much else is going in there as it is a tight fit. The case is sturdy enough to keep the Vita protected though I wish it had a little more padding around the edges. Overall, I give the case 4 out of 5 stars. I don't think it is worth picking up the early bundle just for the limited edition case.

Little Deviants is a game that isn't really required and will easily be $15 in a short period of time. It is nothing more than a game to show off the Vita's tech and things become boring rather quickly. This is something that should have been included with every Vita, it is that mundane. 2 out of 5 stars.

The 4GB memory card is really where things take a hit. 4GB isn't all that much especially if you plan on saving some money and buying games from the PSN. Some tend to be around $5 less than retail cartridge copies. That would be nice except that graphically intense games, such as Uncharted, take up a little over 3GB. You can essentially put Uncharted on here, some music videos, a handful of songs, and call it a day. That isn't a whole lot to get the most out of the Vita especially since you will want to playback 720p videos (which look great on the Vita's display). What irks me the most is that the 3G version coming out on the 22nd will come with an 8GB card. You would think that Sony would reward people for buying early. Instead they just offer more incentive to buy a week later. This isn't much of an issue if you plan on buying only cartridges but I wanted to save money when buying games, not pay more for the retail copies. Further memory cards are only another financial burden not to mention that they are extremely small and easy to lose. 2 out of 4 stars.

Lastly, I wanted to make a comment on the free game that you get when activating 3G service. I haven't received it yet but I have played it quite a bit. The game is great and easily one of the best Vita games out there. However, it is only a $10 PSN game. You cannot use the Vita coupon for free 250MB of data to get the game. You must PAY for the data service and that starts at $15 for 250MB during a 30 day period. You essentially lose $5 if you pick up the 3G version to get the free game. I don't plan on using the 3G data much as the "wonderful" at&t caps downloads to 20MB. That means you won't be doing a whole lot over 3G. That and transfer speeds are sticking around 1-1.5Mbps for me, that isn't something you would want to use for online video streaming via Netflix and would probably introduce lag during gaming.

All-in-all, this is an extremely disappointing bundle and not worth the extra high price for early entry. Save your money and pick up the two packages coming out next week.

Edit: I figured I would throw in some impressions of the actual Vita. It is a really nice handheld console and definitely offers the closest home console experience on-the-go. The graphics for most titles are near-PS3 though some (Marvel vs Capcom) look dead on for the home console release. That is likely due to the simpler graphical nature of the game. Don't get me wrong, it looks great but it isn't nearly as complex as Gears Of War 3 or even inFAMOUS 2. The Vita's system software is a huge improvement over the dated XMB but it still isn't perfect. Every app, game, whatever will have its own bubble that you must use to access them. It is somewhat annoying as you have to select a bubble and confirm your selection. It isn't like on Android or iOS where you select an app icon and that particular app opens. Furthermore, accessing the settings can be a pain as that has its own icon bubble. That means that you have to select Settings and then confirm your selection for Settings before you can actually change the Vita's settings. It is a little annoying having to go through this double process if all you want to do is select a wi-fi network to join. That is where the XMB actually excelled as you could easily pick the particular setting you wanted to adjust in a matter of seconds.

The Vita's firmware is all touch driven, the game controls and rear touch panel will do absolutely nothing when browsing the Vita. You have to use the front touchscreen in order to do anything with the Vita. Fortunately, Sony has incorporated easily one of the best non-iOS touchscreens out there. Touch input is responsive, multi-touch works really nice, and everything feels very fluid-like. So I have absolutely no issues that Sony has limited general usage to just the touchscreen since it really is a joy to use. Speaking of the Vita's software, it comes with some basic functionality out of the box. The built-in browser is easily one of the worst mobile browsers I have ever used. It doesn't work with HTML5 or Flash so multimedia content won't load. Mobile versions of websites were OK but anything more advanced would have a bunch of empty spots on the webpage. The browser is quick when initially loading a website via wi-fi but it stumbles when you are scrolling and has to constantly "reload" content. I don't think this is a major issue (even the PS3's browser is pretty bad) but it is something that Sony should fix if they want to push the Vita beyond its current labeled niche of being just a gaming console.

The Vita comes equipped with two cameras: one on the back and a front-facing camera. Unfortunately both cameras are limited to 640X480 for both image and video recording. Images are grainy and both cameras struggle with standard lighting conditions. A flip phone from 2006 will take a better still image. Fortunately though, the Vita is OK for video recording. A modern point-and-shoot digital camera will run circles around the Vita's video recording capabilities (same thing with an iPad 2, smartphone, or 4G iPod touch) but they aren't nearly as bad as the Vita's still images. It would have been nice for Sony to include a 720p camera on the back. I have a feeling than an updated Vita will be coming out featuring an HD rear camera. The front camera is also positioned to the right side of the Vita's display so that means you will never really look at the camera when video chatting. You will always be looking to the left and it is noticeable. That is why manufacturers often put the front facing camera right above a display in the middle.

The Vita's battery life, although better than I have experienced with the 3DS, still leaves a little to be desired. I normally get about 5 hours of usages (watching 720p videos, playing some simple games, and playing more complex releases) on a daily basis. Uncharted will drastically drain the Vita's battery and give you 3 hours on a single charge. People are complaining about the battery life. Although I agree that it could be a lot better, it is also on par with many smartphones in terms of gaming. My Droid X's battery will only give me about 6 hours of gaming before it dies. My 4G iPod touch will last even less than that (4 hours) if I am playing a complex game (GTA III). The battery life is what it is. I still think that Sony did a much better job than Nintendo with the 3DS. My Vita can actually go for a few nights without needing to be recharged whereas my 3DS can't go a single night without needing to be put into its charging cradle. Sony definitely nailed the standby battery life. Video playback could be a little longer too. Of course, 3G usage completely destroys the Vita's battery life but that is to be expected.

The built-in speakers are OK for gaming but most people will likely turn to headphones. An inexpensive $20 pair of headphones will give you a better experience than the Vita's built-in speakers. I don't think that is a major issue either as the Vita is a portable console. The built-in speakers for most handheld devices are rather bad anyway and the Vita seems on par with them. The speakers can get pretty loud but they don't really project their sound (if that makes sense).

The Vita is first and foremost a gaming console and that is where it really shines. As I said, the Vita often provides a near-PS3 experience (both in terms of controls and graphics) and these are just the launch titles for the console. I have no doubt that developers will be able to push the system and provide a greater level of detail beyond current home consoles. It may take them a few years but I could easily see that happening (especially since the Vita's display is lower in resolution). Uncharted is almost on par with the PS3 releases though some things stand out. Some objects are not as smooth as others, some textures are much lower in resolution than others (a trick often used with the PS3 as well), etc. It is easily the best looking portable game to date but it isn't quite on par with Uncharted 3 on the PS3. The jungle is also the main setting for the game and that gets a little old. The extra thumb stick on the Vita's front really allows gamers to play games as they should. It is nice that Sony didn't include this as an extra accessory after the fact, that would have annoyed me to no end. The AAA titles also fully take advantage of the Vita's touchscreen and touch pad controls (which work really nicely if the software developers implemented them correctly). Some games have issues with the touch controls though. Escape Plan is a prime example. It is a really good looking game but there are some issues with the touch controls that hold it back from being perfect. I don't think this is a hardware or software issue on Sony's part but rather the game developers. Some swipes across the game characters aren't fully registered and pinching (when you have to touch the screen and rear panel in the same places at the same time) doesn't always work. The first level in Little Deviants relies on the rear touch panel and their implementation is sloppy at best.

All-in-all, there are still somethings that Sony needs to do if they want the Vita to be an all-in-one device. Netflix was just released for it and the experience is fine but they need to come out with more apps. I also think that Sony needs to refine their PC syncing software. All of the syncing is done through the Vita. You essentially download Sony's software, tell it what folders to look in for music, videos, and photos, hook your Vita up to your PC, and then browse all of your media using the Vita's touchscreen only to select what you want to copy over. This doesn't feel natural and goes against what most other syncing programs do that allow you to directly look at your device and select what you want to copy over using the computer, not a small touchscreen. It can be a pain going through a large library of audio and video content just to select certain objects that you want on your Vita. The syncing process is pretty quick but the whole process needs a lot of work.

Sony definitely has a hit on their hands with the Vita hardware. It offers a much needed upgrade over the PSP and is able to provide a near home console experience. A few software improvements (both on the Vita and PC), new app releases (the Vita should have a dedicated Facebook app, Hulu Plus would also be nice), and more games will only make this a stronger mobile companion. The biggest issue for many people will be whether or not they want to carry a second or even third device around with them. I don't mind as I currently carry everything in a backpack so the addition of the Vita wasn't a big deal. However, if people already have a smartphone and tablet in a small bag, the Vita might be a big issue. Personally, I think it is worth carrying the Vita for that portable gaming experience.

I give the Vita itself 4.5 out of 5 stars. All new console releases have their issues and those seem to be very minimal with the Vita. Hopefully Sony fixes a few things as time progresses in order to make the Vita an all around better product (not just for gaming).

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is WOW!, February 15, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)
If you're looking for portable gaming, this blows the 3DS clean out of the water on just about every front. The touch screen is larger, has higher resolution and fantastic response without a stylus. It has the same accelerometer, but also a gyro, compass, and GPS as well as 3G connectivity. Yes the 3G plan through AT&T leaves a lot to be desired, and hopefully this will be unlocked eventually and we can choose our carrier.

Anyway, the Little Deviants game is a blast, and does a great job of showcasing the Vita's many features. The 4 Gb card is sufficient for game saves and a few PSP titles, but you most likely will want to get a larger memory card, and as the previous reviewer pointed out, they're expensive!

The case is very nice, and is limited edition. It holds the Vita securely as well as games and your cables.

I'm dissappointed that the Vita didn't have Playstation 1 compatibility at launch as was planned, but that should hopefully be added soon.

The gameplay is simply fantastic, with dual analog controllers for the first time on any handheld. It's truly comparable to playing on a home gaming console, and most likely the Vita will have a long and healthy life.

UPDATE
After playing with it more, I have to say that the rear touch panel takes a little getting used to. It's all in the way you hold the Vita. Some of the games that make use of the touch pad you wind up accidently moving, shooting etc. if your finger touches the pad. I'm sure in time I'll get used to it, but it's a little weird!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great touch screen, games beat any other handheld, February 15, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)
I was expecting a torturous Android-like keyboard/screen, but the Vita is almost on-par with the iOS keyboards and screens. Typing was accurate without too much effort, screen responsiveness to closing apps or switching screens was also snappy.

Painting the edges to climb in Uncharted is way faster than using the controls. The back touch screen is also amazingly responsive and smooth (I tested it only in Little Deviants so far). Games look amazing on this screen and I can't wait to see what else comes out (Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, and MW3 are on their way). Like the other reviewers say, this is as close to console-gaming as you can get.

The included case is clunky, pleather, clam-shell-style (which may or may not please users). I was hoping for something slimmer, but at least the case holds the charger and 4 games too. 4gb is cheesy and won't hold many demos from the PSN store...wish Sony would've given us 8gb like the launch bundle did.

Maps are slow, Near is nothing fantastic [yet], camera sucks...but this is a device you purchase for gaming.

I don't regret my pre-order at all. For those of you on the fence (like I was until Monday)-- this is definitely a worthy investment if you're looking for a dedicated mobile gaming device.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just buy a Vita on its own., January 8, 2014
Richard Allen (Kansas City, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)
I'm not sure why you'd buy this bundle anymore, but it looks like it's still for sale. The Vita itself is a really nice machine and there's a lot of great games for it now but when I bought this bundle it felt like a bad cash grab. Little Deviants was obviously a rush-job and unless you live in a wifi-less wasteland I really don't think you need the 3G Vita. The case is alright but you can get nicer ones separately. I recommend the Vita whole-heartedly but pass on this lame bundle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony haters move over, the vita is here, February 15, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)
Ok first off Im not a fanboy by any stretch I have most consoles including the 3ds and they all have there pros and cons. With that being said Im sure the haters will get on here and be ugly but that is of no shock to anyone.

First off the Vita is the best handheld console to date period. The graphics on this thing are top notch for a handheld console. The 5 inch screen is amazing and is capable of 16 million colors on the screen at once. I cant really comprehend that, but thats what I have heard. The two joysticks are a huge plus and the power button is in a very good spot so you dont turn the thing off by mistake.

I guess If i had to pick a con it would be the memory. You have to pay for your memory before you can even play the thing so dont forget it. At $20 for just a 4 gb memory chip it can get pretty pricey and you have to buy the vita memory chip. Other memory will not work in the vita.

A huge pro in my opinion is the trophies sync. Us ps3 guys love our trophies (most of us anyway). You can view your trophies from your ps3 on your vita and it counts towards your ps3 trophies. pretty neat.

I just wont make this review long because most people who will spend this much money on something will probably either do a lot of research or will buy it anyway. I just wanted to help with the positive reviews for this device because it is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my new PSvita, December 27, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)
Don't wait anymore, it's the perfect companion for your PS4 and the hardware is awesome, the only issue is that it is 3G locked to only AT&T so if you want another operator you have to unlock it first, but everything else is awesome, it worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Have It!, October 10, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)
This is a must have gamers. It comes with EVERYTHING you need to get started: Handheld console, game, hard storage case and components. Also, you get 2 more games to download when you register you system. These are getting harder to find, so don't miss out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bundle, July 6, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (Video Game)
If you're looking to buy a playstation vita, this is the bundle to buy. Even if you won't use the 3g (I didn't either). It comes with little deviants, a game that shows off all the features of a playstation vita. It has a beautiful screen with amazing quality. It would be wise to buy this now rather than wait for the ps4 to come out. When it does, this thing is going to be even more amazing.

PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle
PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle by Sony (PlayStation Vita)
$349.99 $305.00