4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Kit
Ok, first of all, at $40 I'm not blown away by the kit, but it's definitely worth the price in my opinion.

- The pouch is just that, a pouch for your system. Enough to keep it clean and protected. Not sure how much protection it will provide if your PSV falls, but why would you let it fall in the first place?

- The screen protector and cleaning cloth...
Published on February 16, 2012 by Danny Martinez

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money and Not recommendable
I am a long time Sony product user, gamer, engineer, and product designer. I can say that under my first observation of this in the store I thought it might be worth it. Later after looking around I actually using the PS Vita I found that I was poorly mistaken. Let me talk about the short comings I found with this product.

1) Memory card: It is only 4GB. This...
Published on March 11, 2012 by C. Fisher

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money and Not recommendable, March 11, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)

1) Memory card: It is only 4GB. This is practically useless. I filled it with one downloadable demo just to try a game out. Then to do anything else I had to erase the demo I just downloaded. Then later I purchased a few games online and then could not install other demos because of space. I have since found that I have to go and buy a much larger memory card anyway. This alone shows that the kit was a waste of money. I could have bought a much more expensive memory card and a case and been better off. It would have also cost me less money. You would not have gotten the other items in the set, but the trade off is worth it, if you take care of your things.
The misconception that people have regarding the memory is: the memory is a proprietary Sony format and cannot currently be bought by 3rd party manufacturers. This means Sony can charge you 3-4x's the cost for the same memory. The other thing not understood is that there is data saved on these memory cards. So even using store bought games that come on their own cards, the save data is stored on this card. So is music, photos taken, videos, and other information. It may be possible for a user to have very limited internet use with the PS Vita but this card can still be filled easily just by using basic features of the device. In my opinion Sony under rated this. They should have provided 8 GB as a minimum.

2) The case: This case is practically useless. If a person is buying this product for a minor, or child then forget the protection value. This case is basically a dust guard. It is a neoprene case that has to be stretched over one end of the unit. I was actually afraid of damaging or scratching the Vita while trying to stretch it around the end. I am sure over time this will get worn out and then become almost useless for closure. At best this case will protect the outside from scratches, but not protect it from a fall. For that a much more sturdy case would be needed. For my PSP I had a great hard plastic case. It was bad because you could not carry accessories, and was bulky, but it protected the PSP and I never had a problem. I would have at least expected a harder case, slightly thicker, and something that had pockets for games, power cords, or at least the headphones.

3) Screen cloth: a standard microfiber cloth that can be purchased almost anywhere for just a few dollars. Wal-mart, Target, and other major stores carry them for glasses. Just as good. This one say Vita on it, if that makes a difference. It does not for me. With the great hidden expenses wrapped into the Vita it would have been nice to save a few bucks where possible.

4) Game Case: This is actually pretty practical. It is a sturdy looking case. I have not tried to insert any games to see how easily they are put in, or can be taken out. However, without a good place to put it, like in the case, the user is left carrying another item with them. I guess Sony could always stick it's customers for another $60 for a Case to hold the case and accessories. Maybe they could over ear bud covers as an incentive.

5) Ear buds: These are standard grade ear phones used with mobile audio MP3/4 players. There are no foam covers for them, so if they do not fit right in the users ear, there is no luck. I have always found the foam covers to make them ear buds a little more snug and provide less chance of falling out. Sony is terrible with making comfortable ear products. The first Blue-Tooth ear piece for the Sony PS3 was horrible. It could only be worn a short time before causing serious pain to the ear, not from the sound, but from the shape and fit. Several friends of mine all shared the same opinion. So much so that we bought other non-Sony products. One thing that I would be curious of, is how the Vita would sound with some Sony Noise Cancellation Ear buds. These, however, are a basic intro-level product. Which is what you would expect in a starter kit.

6) Screen protector: This is a standard screen protector. It should protect the touch screen from scratches. This is a highly recommended product. Even without the starter kit I cannot speak enough about protecting the screen. This is probably the most valuable item in the whole kit. Unfortunately, you can get 2 of these from Sony for only $10. Much less money then the kit costs. Actually, buying a bigger card, better case, and the screen protectors would have cost about the same as this kit, or about $5 more.

My review is not biased in any way. I am a long time user of Sony products and many other brands. Most users of games and audio devices would have a set of ear buds already that they like, and are comfortable enough.
Games bought through Play Station Network are around $5 cheaper and do not have tax. Even without a credit card for purchasing, they sell PSN gift cards in stores to make purchases with. This is great for kids and minors. This way they do not have unlimited spending capabilities.
With that being said the need for the game case is nice, just in case someone gets the user a game as a gift from the store, but I would recommend getting most of them through the PSN. That of course requires a much bigger memory card and would negate the need for this kit.

It would have been nice to find some article online that gave the Vita user model that Sony expected. A User Model is a tool that gives the common attributes of the average user. They would use this model in their design. I hate to think they used the survey they sent out to current PSN subscribers. It is hard to tell if they intended the device to be purely online and added a memory port as an after thought. What ever they were thinking, this kit does not fit this user's needs. It is unlikely it would fit any user's needs. Sure, some have commented on how great it is as a starter, but eventually it will become more clear the limitations that this kit offers. Some may say that is the point of a starter, but at the cost of Sony products and the memory cards, it does not seem practical. Start off with a bigger card, better case, and screen protectors. Then later, use the $40 you would have spent on this money pit, and buy two $20 PSN cards. Use them for games, or add-ons. That makes more sense to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Kit, February 16, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)

- The screen protector and cleaning cloth (I can't say too much because I don't have my PSV yet). The screen protector seems like it will be a simply enough install, I am getting the HORI silicone protector and it looks like it will be compatible. The cleaning cloth is a lot bigger than I expected, so that's good. Other than that, it's just your typical lint free cleaning cloth.

- The earphones. Actually, reading some of the other reviews, I was expecting complete crap. While it does feel pretty cheap, the sound quality is actually not that bad. Some EQ adjusting on your iPod/iPhone/Android/etc, and they are definitely keepers. I actually plan on using them now that I have tested them out.

- Game/Memory card case. I like this case, sure, it's something else you have to carry, but it's not too big and it fits 8 games and 2 memory cards. The 4GB memory card will be good enough for me just for basic game saves, and I have the 32GB and the 8GB that will come with the Launch Bundle. 1 in the system, and the other 2 in the case. Perfect for me. (THE MEMORY CARDS ARE TINY!!! I don't know if that's been stressed enough haha)

So there you have it, for $40, I think it's worth it. If you have the money for nicer cases, headphones, bigger memory cards and screen protectors, more power to you, but for those of us on a budget, this kit will do the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice package, but overall you might want to get something better..., August 29, 2013
Will Hughes (COLUMBUS, MS, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)
First off, it's nice to be able to get any kind of case for your system, no matter what the price or the quality, but you should always consider what you are getting versus what you are paying. Some cases are good, others are not so good. Some come with a nice assortment of extras, while others just offer you just one item and that's it.

This package is not exactly the best kind of package to get. The "case" (If you can all it a case) is nothing more than a clothe slip case you slide your PS Vita into, what looks like, a pocket. No zippers, no snaps. It uses a tight overlap flap to hold everything together. The main reason I don't like this package is that there's no extra slips for the power supply as well as nothing to put the extra items that comes with it. The extra items (Such as the game case to carry your extra games plus a spare memory card) are a nice plus, but good luck trying to find a place to put it in the case that comes with it. It's nothing more than just a case for your PS Vita, that's it. It's not an all in one case. This is not a very smart idea if you plan to make a package deal. If you are going to make a package with extras, you would think it would be ideal to make sure all the items with the package work together for an all in one purpose.

Overall, it's not a bad case, but the extras that come with it will have no place or purpose with the case. So when you get this package, you will have to find a place for the ear plugs and game case. The case itself is more for your PS Vita, nothing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to start your vita collection, February 15, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)
This kit has the basic items you will need to start your collection. The pouch is very similar to the pouch that was included in the PSP value pack years ago. I still have that pouch and comparing it to the vita pouch, I can say is about the same size. The headphones are ok and almost identical to the ones the PSP included in the same value pack. The difference is that now they are black and have the vita logo. The plastic game case is great, although it was a little hard to insert the memory card in it. It also comes with a screen protector but it didn't include the instructions.. I bought this kit because it's the only way I could get the pouch, plus I needed the memory card. Overall I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Vita owners, October 28, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)
It has some things you might want to have on hand if you own a vita but my only gripe is that the VIta case is a little misleading. I thought it would be a hard case but it was a soft cotton cover case so beware of that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Passable Kit If It's On Sale, May 7, 2013
Morgan Carlson (West Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)
As with almost every Vita accessory, this kit is overpriced and underwhelming. However, you can get some value out of it if it's on sale in the $20-$25 range. Anything higher is madness, since...

4 GB Memory Card - one already came with your Vita, no doubt, so you already know how worthless such a small memory chip is. Having one is okay for game saves and some music, but otherwise, it's a waste. If you got your Vita used or in some other circumstance where you didn't get this chip, this kit obviously has more value and should be considered more closely.

Ear Buds - predictably generic set, and they don't even have pads. If you're a portable gamer (and clearly, you are), you undoubtedly have a better set of plugs/earphones already. Why these didn't come with the Vita anyhow is almost galling.

Microfiber Cloth - useful enough, but again, you probably have one already and they cost next-to-nothing.

Screen Protectors - an essential item for any Vita owner, so no problems here.

Vita Case - nice-looking, but it's just a soft little cover, meaning it provides no protection beyond dust particles. Better than nothing, but not by much, especially if you have a screen protector applied.

Game Case - fine enough for what it does, but unless you want to carry all this crap around in your pocket, it would only be useful for long trips or vacations. It's a nice-looking case, though, and better than a sandwich bag or whatever you might be using now.

Bottom Line: if the kit is on sale and you need some of the bits in here, it's not the worst buy ever. It might actually be cheaper than a 4 GB chip on its own if you time it right. I'm sure some third-party will make a competing kit, but it won't have any memory in it, as Sony is withholding the rights to those for maximum price gouging. If Sony really wanted to do right by their customers, they should retool the kit and include a tough case for the Vita that can also hold a few games, along with a 32 GB memory chip and some screen protectors. (Obviously, the price would go up a bit.) That would be useful for just about any new Vita owner, as opposed to this one, which is very hit-and-miss. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bundle for the Vita, December 22, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)
This is probably the best Starter Kit I've ever purchased. I was looking for just a screen protector, but this comes with all of the other official Vita accessories that Sony has released so far. In response to the people bashing the 4GB Memory Card included, remember this: this is probably the best deal you could get on any vita memory card, with the 4gb here on Amazon for about 15$, that is an amazing deal. The headphones are good, but I prefer to use Connectland Modern Black Bluetooth Over-ear Headset with Mic just because they're Bluetooth. I reviewed them a while back, but my specific model seems to no longer be sold on Amazon. The cleaning cloth is just about as generic as you can get, and I only seem to like the sleeve and the card case, however, someone else may find better use of the headphones and cleaning cloth than I did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Necessary stuff, September 15, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)
This is the basic gear that everyone needs to have in order to make the Vita work. Sadly, this Starter Kit content isn't included in the PS Vita package itself as it should. Sony is stingy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seemed like a good buy until I opened the package, December 24, 2012
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)
I thought that with the headphones, memory, case cover, and screen protector it was a steal until I opened the package and saw that it was a soft cover that barely fits over the PSVita. I was very disappointed as I purchased the PSVita bundle that already came with a memory card and I own better headphones. The screen protector is about the only useful thing in this package as it fits the screen very well.

I later bought a hard cover case that I am much happier with and gave most of the stuff in this bundle to a family member who requested a temporary case.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Good enough to get you started, but should have come with the Vita", September 29, 2014
This review is from: PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card (Video Game)
This starter kit is really as stated "good enough" to get started with.
I will make several comparisons to the items which came inside the packaging of the original PSP1000
The case is neoprene and is not as thick or protective as the PSP case. I feel like the case, if not put on with care, could damage the analogue sticks so I always make sure that there is no pressure or torque on either stick once I get the vita seated in the case.
The screen protector is great and definitely a good thing to have. I recommend watching a how to apply video before attempting to put it on. No air bubbles is a must and its not that easy to get it perfectly centered, so watch a video or two first.
The cleaning cloth is a nice size and bigger than the ones that came with the PSP. It's the same cloth and has PSVita embossed in it.
I don't have any physical games so not really sure about the card case. It's nice and thin, and the memory card is in the vita so I have not had a chance to try it.
The earphones are fine but again feel like a slight downgrade when compared to those which came with the PSP. The cables are thinner and get tangled easier. I actually put these in the drawer and still prefer the white PSP earphones instead.
The memory card is just enough to "get started" with a couple of digital games and a few smaller demos. Lemmings and Escape Plan will fit with one or two demos to go with them but it's really just too small of a capacity.
This is really just a starter kit and if you can get it for less than half of the launch price it's enough to get you started, but the case is really just a scratch guard, and I'm not sure how much protecting of the analogue sticks it's actually doing. The earbuds are "meh", you can use your existing ones. You'll need the cloth to wipe the screen before you install the screen protector which is good to have. For the Vita1000, you NEED a memory card and after buying the system, this is the smallest one avail and it really feels too small. The game card case will hopefully come in handy for travel, but we'll see how many games on physical media I actually buy.
You're gonna need a bigger memory card and will probably want a better case if you take your system on the go but if the price is low enough, this is good enough to get ya started if money is tight after shelling out for the system. You're gonna need the screen protector anyway.
After owning two PSP-1000's, I feel that nearly all of this stuff should have come inside the original box along with the Vita.

PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card
PlayStation Vita Starter Kit with Memory Card by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation Vita)
$39.99 $22.24