Why PlayStation 3 is not only the best value for your money, but why it may be the best gaming platform out there.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2011 7:24:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2011 7:05:53 AM PDT
By no means am I trying to be a fan boy. I am basing my opinion based on my extensive use with each platform, and this is what I came up with as a hardcore gamer. Xbox 360 overview: ESPN, The best user interface, compatibility to some original xbox games (some can be downloaded) slightly better online service in Xbox live (the only difference between live and PSN is that PSN lacks cross game party chat and it is a tiny bit laggier, but that's not worth paying $50 a year for when you can get the rest of it's features for free on PSN) Better controller, xbox live arcade, Mass Effect 1, Too Human, Dead Rising 1, Alan Wake, Dance Central (the rest of these games have online multiplayer) Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Forza 2, 3, & 4, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, Gears of War Trilogy, Crackdown 1 & 2, Fable 2 & 3, Splinter Cell: Double Agent & Conviction, Kinect Sports, Kinect (which is really a bunch of science fiction conveniences of voice & facial recognition and controller-free gameplay and menu navigation which overshadow the fact that its an overglorified eye toy with lag, lack of finger recognition so shooters will be impossible to play by pretending our hand's the gun, lack of analog control so games progress automatically on rails like they would in an arcade shooter such as House of the Dead. lack of true 1:1 recognition, and a focus on casual instead of hardcore gamers. Kinect Sports and Dance Central may seem fun and revolutionary now, but just like Wii sports they're casual games whose charm and fun will quickly wear off. The only moderately hardcore games for it are Star Wars and Forza 4 and even those are on rails. There IS a Steel Battalion game and this thing called Project Draco coming out though so maybe there is hope for it, but I'm pretty sure that those games will have the same sorts of problems, and if they try to make traditional shooters and such for kinect, a controller will be a must. They're probably just gonna use the kinect for headtracking which the PlayStation Eye can accomplish as well. In fact, the PlayStation Eye is actually the exact same thing as Kinect except that it doesn't have a depth sensor and Sony hasn't released any voice recognition software for it publically, but it can do that. In fact, the resolution for the PlayStation Eye is actually of a much better quality. Ultimately, Kinect will end up being just like the wii because of these limitations, a shovelware party game magnet with only a miniscule amount of it's library being able to offer something even remotely innovative. With Kinect, it's all very convenient and user-friendly, but it feels awkward to perform actions like driving a car, or sword figthing without something to hold onto, and even then when you're using objects that can imitate such actions,m there is the matter of gesture confusion. That's why games so far like Kinect Joyride have gotten pretty lukewarm reception. It just feels better to be using something like a Wii wheel, not to mention that it has a much faster response time and it's nowhere near as glitchy because of gesture confusion. That is why I don't like Kinect very much. There is just too much room for error, and those limitations will likely keep it from having any staying power within the hardcore gaming community. Besides, if developers were as lazy as they were on the Wii, just imagine how they will be on Kinect. It's much more difficult to develop games on.).

Wii overview: Virtual Console, Wiiware, internet browser, everybody votes, check mii out, (the 3 following games are the only decent titles with Wii motion plus support) Wii Sports: Resort, Red Steel 2, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword & Twilight Princess, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Epic Mickey, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Zack & Wicki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, Madworld, Sin & Punishment 2, Metroid Prime: Trilogy, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (the first Super Mario Galaxy may just be the best game ever made), (the rest of this list has online multiplayer) Call of Duty: World at War, Modern Warfare, & Black Ops, Boom Blox 1 & 2, Super Smash Bos. Brawl, GoldenEye 007, and Monster Hunter Tri.

PC: Not only is it incredibly expensive, but it is lacking in exclusives since developers are more concerned over consoles (Besides the miniscule amount of games released by blizzrd). That is the reason why ports are largely inferior compared to console versions. Also motion control is unavailable at the moment.

PS3 overview: Blu Ray, downloadable playstation 1 games and original games, the best Netflix, true 1080p resolution, free online, better graphics, Hulu Plus, web browser, much more reliable failure rate than 360, PlayStation home, (the following games are also on the Xbox 360 and some are on Wii and PC) Red Dead Redemption, Super Street Fighter IV, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Rock Band series, Guitar Hero series, Grand Theft Auto IV, Dead Space 1 & 2, Assassin's Creed trilogy, BioShock Trilogy, The Orange Box, Portal 2, Need for Speed series, Call of Duty series, Mass Effect 2 & 3, Dead Rising 2, Devil May Cry series, Bayonetta, No More Heroes, Battlefield series, Madden NFL, NBA 2K (the rest of this list is PS3 exclusives) Uncharted 1, Heavenly Sword, Infamous 1, God of War III, Ratchet & Clank: Future Trilogy, The Last Guardian (the following ps3 exclusives have online multiplayer) Demon's Souls, MLB: The Show series, uncharted 2 & 3, littlebigplanet 1 & 2, Killzone 2 & 3, Socom 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance Trilogy, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Gran Turismo 5, and move (not only is it the most advanced motion controller on the market, providing true 1:1 precision in 3D space for unparalleled immersion, but it also has plenty of hardcore gaming support from Infamous 2, Sports Champions, Heroes on the Move, Heavy Rain, Sorcery (the rest of this list has online multiplayer) MAG, Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition, SOCOM 4, Killzone 3, LittleBigPlanet 2, and many more in the future since Sony is really pushing its developers to really let the hardware shine, which is no problem since games that are being developed for move are much easier to develop than Kinect games. You only need to see the demos for the games I mentioned above to see for yourself, especially that of Sorcery. That title is an exceptional example of what move can do, and what the other two motion controllers can't do. Gameplay with move is fluid, natural, and life-like. It's the pinnacle of immersion. It's what everyone wanted out of the Wii in the first place. It's even gotten better reviews than Kinect, beating both it and wii motion plus as best motion controller in gamescon 10 and popular science magazine. And you can't say that it's copying the Wii because development on it started at the exact same time as that motion device while they were developing the eye toy. The only reason they decided to release it now is because they were perfecting the tech and giving developers time with it. I own a Wii with the motion plus and move is far more accurate and responsive, and that in turn makes it far more accurate and responsive than Kinect as well). It can also download and rent movies, music, games, and downloadable content for games (just like the 360 except that PS3 has better resolution).

Not only is the PlayStation library bigger and more varied, but it is more critically acclaimed, and the hardware has no match (go see for yourself at gamerankings and metacritic). By that logic I would say that PS3 the best system ever, at least in my opinion. I enjoy the 360, but most of the biggest software is overrated (fable and Gears of War). The wii is fune, but mopst of the software isn't within my tastes except for Monster Hunter Tri, Metroid Prime: Trilogy, and Super Mario Galaxies 1 & 2. So get the 320 gb move bundle. It gives you more value for your money. Serioulsy, would you rather pay $400 for a 250 gb xbox 360 with kinect, a headset, a controller, 1 month of xbox live service for online gaming, purchasing and netflix, and aa copy of kinect adventures (which is a horrid game), or would you rather pay $400 for a 320 gb PS3 with a move controller, a regular controller, a copy of Sports Champions, and the PlayStation Eye. Ultimately, the ideal thing would be to buy all gaming systems to experience all the fantastic software they have to offer, but if you can only go one way, I think you should pick the PS3. It's THAT good.

Posted on May 23, 2011 4:26:48 PM PDT
C. Charlton says:
okay, this may be a good post, but you gotta use line breaks Wanda. It's really stressing on the eye to keep track when there's a big block of text.

Posted on May 25, 2011 5:08:11 PM PDT
Wow, I didn't even try to read that...

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 10:23:52 AM PDT
Great post. But there's this new invention in writing. It's called a paragraph. It let's the reader know you're shifting the sentences subject matter every so often. It also helps the reader keep track of what they've read. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 8:04:52 PM PDT
G. B. Davis says:
Dude,

You seriously need to lay off the 5 Hour Energy Shots while you are posting comments............I would guess your pulse rate was somewhere north of 140 bpm when you made this post..........

Like other commentors, you need to get your ps3 to help you with some basic paragraph composition, or just do it the tried and true method and get out your high school Language Arts text.................

In closing 5 Hour Energy Toker, I am highly embarassed for you because you obviously took great pains to post this painful to read post......................

Remember, paragraphs are a Jedi invention and are a reliable tool against the Dark Side of the Force, which appears to be where you reside these days....................

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 8:44:02 PM PDT
Not really, I just copied and pasted :P

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 8:59:04 PM PDT
G. B. Davis says:
Well, Dude, you copied and pasted so much (with no paragraph breaks) that ,well, you get a big yellow NFL flag for run-on sentences...

In conclusion, you are a Hobo for making the most ridiculous comment I have ever read on Amazon.com. Congratulations....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 7:04:05 AM PDT
I feel very accomplished. What's my most ridiculous comment?

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 3:40:30 AM PST
Jack Treese says:
I think they all have their advantages, as far as offering downloadable games is concerned. Xbox Live Marketplace has a better variety of essentially everything, including independent games. The PlayStation Store, kinda like Xbox Live, has a great variety only obviously exclusively inclined for Sony--but add download compatibility to PSP and Vita. Then the Wii Shop Channel offers (in my opinion) hands-down the best and most definitive collection of classic games through Virtual Console, though WiiWare leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 5:08:56 PM PST
I can tell you this. The PS3's storage capacity is not fixed, nor do you need to buy any proprietary hard drive module like you would with those other consoles. I have an older-style 40GB model (which would be a second-gen PS3), and I like that you can upgrade a hard drive with any ordinary 2.5" SATA. I upgraded from that tiny, mediocre 40GB storage up to a 500GB HDD without any trouble. Could I have found and gotten a 1TB 2.5" HDD? Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure that Sony does cap you on capacity. Also, I'm curious if SSDs would see any performance boost if I were to put one of these in here.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 6:02:07 AM PDT
mc-Hotsauce says:
LMFAO!!!

ditto!!!

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 6:05:34 AM PDT
mc-Hotsauce says:
use an external hdd for extra storage. (i use a wd 2 tb external for mine)
a ssd will give you a boost in accessing info, yes.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 5:03:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2012 4:39:28 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 5:55:21 PM PDT
Your comment is supposed to be a comment. Don't copy/paste your entire review to a comment, especially when it is so difficult to read already. You have some good information, but people can easily get to your reviews by clicking on your name hyperlink. In the future, I would suggest you recommend to others to read your review by taking advantage of this nice feature.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sony PlayStation 3 Slim 320 GB Charcoal Black Console
Sony PlayStation 3 Slim 320 GB Charcoal Black Console by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (332)