5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, sexy, and smart novel
Thelma Adams has written a funny, sexy, and smart novel. "Playdate," a contemporary comedy of manners, is about modern marriage and suburban family life. Lance, a former weatherman, is a happy stay-at-home dad, who takes care of his daughter, while trying to persuade his wife to have another child. However, his wife, Darlene, has little time and patience for the needs of...
Published on March 23, 2011 by Wilfried F. Voss

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings..
I have mixed feelings on this book. I enjoyed the message which basically is it doesn't matter who raises the kids, all the jobs are important but they go hand in hand. It isn't just the moms who are important it is the dads too. This life is one big puzzle and we need all the pieces.

However the affairs and the way the kids were just pushed through the book...
Published on November 28, 2010 by Tonya Speelman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings.., November 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

However the affairs and the way the kids were just pushed through the book really didn't catch my fancy too much. Maybe this book is just too modern for me. I didn't think I would get through it, I made it halfway and thought this isn't bad and then the last 30 pages I wanted to scream enough already. Half the words seemed like nonsense to me.

No one really had any depth to them, because if they did, they wouldn't be in those situations! All the guys except for Lance were painted as jerks, which today's society says they are if they go out and work for a living they are like cavemen. Which isn't true.

My review seems a bit harsh but I couldn't give a everything-is-awesome in this book. I am relieved it is over and I can move on to other things!

3.0 out of 5 stars Tale of a Misunderstood Househusband, January 11, 2011
Michael Meredith "e-Mike" (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In some ways, a guy might fantasize about being in the shoes (or yoga robe) of Lance, the protagonist of this story. When he's not parenting his precocious daughter, or managing the cookie sales for her girl scout troop, he's sharing some intimate moments with his lovely neighbor, or fending off the persistent offerings of his neighbor's live-in nanny. But the fantasy would die in the details, as does the plot of this book.

It's a good premise, but to be honest, it just never travels very far. Lance's wife has her own business startup issues, and there are the typical misconceptions about a stay-at-home dad. But all in all, there really isn't a lot of there... there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun at First, December 8, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Lance is a former weatherman turned house-husband. His wife, Darlene, is busy opening up the first in what could be a chain of new restaurants targeted at working mothers.

The two have one child, sixth grader Belle. They're considering having more and while Lance is excited, Darlene may not be as enthusiastic. She's so driven by her job and starting up her business that she is slowly becoming disconnected from Lance and Belle. Meanwhile, Lance is connecting with other women in his life, included the wife of Darlene's business partner and Julia, the babysitter who watches over the kids of the wife Lance is having an affair with.

Apparently, being the king of the Girl Scout cookies is quite the turn-on for some of the ladies in Lance's life.

If it all sounds a bit complicated, it can be at times. But you won't have any trouble keeping up with things in the story. Told over the course of three days, Thelma Adams' "Playdate" fills in enough of the details to keep you interested but it doesn't really break any new ground. The main question the novel ponders is how much do we all what we do to define a person or persons. The story could have been a bit better if had actually delved a bit deeper into the questions asked here, but the novel instead goes for humorous moments and brings everything together in a nice, neatly wrapped romantic comedy package in the final pages.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save a Tree, December 22, 2010
Playdate by Thelma Adams

Meet Lance and Darlene Ramsay. A middle class, suburban California couple with a ten year old (going on 40) daughter. The Ramsay family has recently moved from the desert town of Barstow to a lovely middle class neighborhood. Lance has left the business of being a weatherman to become a house husband and Darlene is on the verge of opening her first restaurant in what she hope becomes a chain that will give Ihop a run for it's money. Lance is, although he will not admit it; dissatisfied with his life and has become the stud of their community. Tantric sex and a lot of Zen abound in a book that is about absolutely nothing other than the fact that it shows just how selfish and fool hardy these families are. I can see that the author is trying to make fun of the modern family, but this book doesn't come off as funny. It just comes off as being pathetic. None of the characters are ones that I can have any feelings for. I just could not work up anything for this book. I do have one question...do ten year old girls really talk as if they are a bored with life forty year old?
If you are still curious after all the reviews here about this book, take it out from the library as you will be sure to find that it will not be a "keeper" to be read over and over. Save a tree and your cash and stay away from "Playdate".

2.0 out of 5 stars Setting is the best part of the book!, December 23, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Looking for a fun read, I ordered this from Amazon Vine. I was disappointed to say the least. The San Diego County wildfires provide a backdrop for this novel, and this is by far the most compelling action within the book. The main character, Lance, is an out of work weatherman while his wife, Darlene, is an up and coming restaurant owner. I think that while there was potential for a story here, the characters were so poorly developed and annoying that I couldn't get past it. Lance is a stay at home dad, and readers are reminded of this no less than 100 times in the book. It was though the author was trying -too- hard to make this the single dimension of this story. I couldn't wait for this one to end, which was a disappointment since I really liked the unique setting. This is one playdate to cancel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't reccomend this book, May 3, 2011
This review is from: Playdate (Hardcover)
I had a hard time getting into this book, and relating to the characters. The characters lacked dimension, and didn't seem real to me. I didn't really feel connected or that I cared about any of them. The book simply didn't draw me in. I think it had a lot of potential, but it was slow to start, and ended in such a fast, slap happy way that was very unrealistic. It wasn't the best read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sounds campy and fun but doesn't deliver, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Playdate (Hardcover)
I wanted to like this book. The description sounded interesting, funny and fun; a campy look at the drama of the 'burbs set against the background of the Santa Ana's and resulting wildfire.

The characters were not well-developed enough to form any emotion about and therefore their foibles just seemed silly and childish. Plot lines were started but not developed (i.e., Sam's crush on Belle) and the end was just too tidy a package.

I'll be reading the book again as I'm leading our book club discussion on it next month, and will add to my review if my opinion changes, but I finished this book today, in one day, and I've already forgot most of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly horrible, April 11, 2011
Beatrice (Rancho Cucamonga, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playdate (Hardcover)
The story sounded interesting enough. I am from California and this author milked every single description or cliche about California and did it repetitively. It was torture reading how many times she could say "birds of paradise". Yes we know, birds of paradise and bouganvilla thrive in Cali...stop repeating it! The characters were shallow and not entertaining at all. I couldn't even force myself to finish the book because I know it would be a complete waste of my time. It was bad enough I that I read 3/4 hoping it would get better.

1.0 out of 5 stars groan, February 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Honestly, one of the worst books I've read in a long, long time. The characters are one-dimensional and annoying. The story line is sprawling and directionless. Sometimes it wants to be light and funny, pure chick lit; at other times, it wants to make a serious case (is one needed?) for the misunderstood stay-at-home dad.

The worst part, though, is the writing. If you are going to try to read this book, just prepare yourself for gems like, "The unexpected anger her eyes flashed startled him. He immediately dropped his arm from her waist. He had wanted to drink in her eyes and what he got was scalding tea." I mean, how do sentences like that last one even happen? My advice? Just save yourself the misery and skip this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 stars, December 15, 2010
K. Kraus "mskraus2u" (Pleasant Prairie, WI USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had 2.5 stars in mind for my review and I was relieved to see that is the exact average of the other three reviews so far. It's not just me.

I just could not get into this book. While the writing wasn't so bad, I thought the dialogue felt very false. People just don't talk like that, especially not 10 year-old girls. The really big problem, as another reviewer pointed out, is that nothing happens! I'm fine with character-driven stories, I love them, but you have to care about the characters for that to work. While I felt for Belle, the 10 year-old daughter of the Lance and Darlene, I had no sympathy for Darlene. Lance I rather liked, even if he was an adulterer.

I believe I read this was the author's first novel. I hope she doesn't get discouraged and tries again with better results.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa93c1ab0)

Playdate
Playdate by Thelma Adams (Hardcover - January 18, 2011)
$23.99 $8.83