Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Playing for Keeps (PILLOW TALK NOVELS Book 2)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 20, 2012
This is the second book I've read by author Kate Perry, and I'm just as impressed with this novel as I was with Return to You. Perry's strengths lie in her ability to tell a story and fantastic dialog. Storywise, the plot is believable without being predictable, which is what makes the story good- the characters are real people in real situations, allowing the reader to become immersed in the story. As for dialog, this is where the author's remarkable talent shines- it's more like eavesdropping on intimate conversations rather than reading words on a page. I'm happy to say that Kate Perry is now on my "must read" list. Excellent.
on October 28, 2012
****WARNING - SPOILERS INCLUDED IN THIS REVIEW***

I'm going to approach this from a 'Pro and Con' angle.

Reasons to like this book:
1) George the dog...and Pete was okay

Reasons I did not enjoy this book:
1) Gracie (main character) is a doormat with a martyr complex
2) Gracie's family is selfish and irritating
3) Very slow beginning
4) Nell (extremely selfish middle sister)
5) The ex Marine father is portrayed as an offensive stereotype, e.g.- non communicative except when angry...which seems like most of the time
6) The story reads like a 16 year old's idea of what 'grown up life' is like
7) Riley (milquetoast fiance of Nell)
8) Gracie's trampy best friend, Celeste
9) Gracie's tramp-in-training little sister, Chloe
10) The story amps up about the same time Gracie starts wearing pants "...with a lot of pockets on the sides" and tank tops with no bra. Unfortunately, from then on we are 'treated' to an unnecessary amount of sex scenes and descriptions of the state of Gracie's nipples. This made me long for the slow beginning
11) The use of the term 'hooked up' - spare me, PLEASE
12) Again, Nell
13) Pot smoking, 'vegetarian' future in-laws who sleep in the backyard and steal pork products (Ummm, yeah...they have the munchies so of course they're gonna swipe your food)
14) Wendall - another Marine stereotype, e.g.- dumb as a box of rocks
15) Once more...Nell
16) When Gracie isn't having sex she's thinking about it...which gives us yet another opportunity to hear about her nipples, just in case we've forgotten she has them
17) The Big Misunderstanding - which actually wasn't very big...or interesting
18) The bachelorette party description - yuck
19) Gracie talking to some skeeve at a strip club about the possibility of him dating her little sister. That's classy
20) I'm sure you saw this coming...Nell
21) The rehearsal dinner description
22) The fact that it takes Gracie almost the entire book to tell her obnoxious family to shove it
23) The mix up with the phallus shaped 'wedding' cake. Really? If we're going with this level of maturity why not throw in some 'Pull my finger' jokes?
24) I could come up with more points as to why I really disliked this book, but I'll just end on this one: I cannot believe that the wedding actually took place after the way Nell treated her sister and fiance. They just forgive her and everything is all hunky dory? YEESH. In *my* fantasy version of the ending, Riley and Gracie both tell Nell to take a hike and turn the would be wedding reception into a 'Hooray, We're Not Spineless Weenies Any More!' party.
Also, there would be a wonderful epilogue where we learn that Nell has been convicted of insider trading and since she chose to attack the arresting officers with her Manolo Blahniks, causing serious injury, she is sentenced to the maximum time allowed in a high security women's prison where she is now the miserable girlfriend of a humongous, foul smelling inmate.

Obviously I am in the minority where this book is concerned. Based on this reading experience, however, I would not choose to read another work by this author.
1111 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2012
I have read Kate Perry before and loved her books. This book I had a harder time enjoying. I had to force myself to keep reading. The entire book is written in the 3rd person from the main character's Grace POV. The plot was a fairly good plot but I found the dialouge extremely boring. For a good part of the first half of the book you are just going through day to day of Grace's life. Her mother passed away and she has basically raised her family including her dad. The middle sister Nell is getting married and now expects Grace to plan the wedding. Nell is a very unlikable character, one of the most selfish ones I have read in a long time. The whole family basically uses Grace as their doormat. I have read similar stories like this before but this was jut flat out boring.

There was a little love interest with Grace's best friend Pete, and even that she put her family first and wanted to hide their relationship. Towards the last 30% of the book I finally started to enjoy it. The ending was pretty good and I am glad I finished it but I can't give a great recommendation. I certainly will read a Kate Perry book again but not this one.
on December 8, 2012
The main character and her family bugged me to no end because her family was selfish and she was a EFFING PUSHOVER, I HATE PUSHOVERS! This made me feel angry by the end and I damn near tossed my computer across the room....UGH!
on April 20, 2013
I love the Laurel Heights series by this author so I decided to give another of her books a read. Completely disappointed. Our main character, Grace, spends 95% of the book being a doormat. She has no back bone what.so.ever. Her sister, Nell, was so annoying I was hoping the dog would eat her and put me out of my misery. How anyone would want to marry that after she acts the way she acts is beyond me. The last half chapter was the only good part about it. Pete, who's incredible, was only in it for what felt like 10 pages. The other (again, what felt like) 500 pages were Grace getting walked all over and Nell throwing a temper tantrum any 3 year old would be proud of. I had to make myself finish the story.
on January 10, 2014
This is Ms. Perry's worst novel yet. The main character is spineless doormat with a serious martyr complex and her family members are quite possibly the most selfish and unbelievably inconsiderate people. I think far too many comments for this book are misleading so I felt the need to post this review to back up everything DeeDee Brown said. She absolutely hit the nail on the head with this book.

With all that said, I do generally like Ms. Perry's books and have read all of the Laurel Heights/Summerhill books. It was because I loved those books that I decided to try this one. For what it's worth, I also read Playing Doctor, which I thought was not up to par with her other books, but I was able to finish it. I made it about two-thirds to three-quarters of the way through Playing for Keeps and cannot bring myself to continue reading. It is absolutely terrible.
on November 11, 2012
OMG! This story was great. I finished it over an hour ago, and I'm still sitting here laughing. I love books like this. They take my mind off the crazy & depressing things going on around me. This cast of characters all have their own major flaws, that's for sure. But even when they are often screaming obscenities at one another...you can still feel the love they feel for one another. And as far as the soon to be in-laws...they are a total hoot!

This book also brought out a lot of emotions for me. One minute I was laughing so hard, the next I was crying my heart out, and then I found myself cheering the characters on.

The one thing I would have loved to have seen, is a short epilogue at the end. BUT...the story was so good that I don't have the heart to rate it any lower than a 5 star rating.

Would I recommend this book? Yes! I most certainly would.
on September 6, 2012
As with all of Kate Perrys books that I've read so far, this one is an adorable, steamy, dreamy live story. I downloaded it because it was free but it's even worth the $3 too! Download, read & enjoy! :)
on November 4, 2012
This is the first Kate Perry book I have read and most definitely will not be the last! This was a believable, funny, caring, love story. A great book to cuddle up on the couch with and be ready to read, read and read some more. I did not want to put the story down. I did of course and was anxious to pick it back up the next day. I love when you can just feel like part of the story. It was family, siblings, a bit of sadness, a bit of craziness but such an awesome ending. I could say lots more but don't want to ruin it for anyone else....enjoy!!!
on November 6, 2012
Another great book by Kate Perry. I have yet to read one of her books that I wanted to put down until I had finished the last page. I was not disapointed with this one either. I recommend it to all adults. The reason I don't go into detail about the book is because I hate it when people do a review and tell the story before I read it. Just that it is a great book is enough.