Playskool Sesame Street Smartphone
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$18.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 24, 2013
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
The package says 18 months to 4 years. I bought it for my 5 month old because he is constantly trying to play with my phone, my laptop, my Kindle... (I'm a grad student; he's a lap kid). He's too young to make it do what it was intended to do, but he's happy doing to it what he was doing to my phone - dragging his fingers around it's "screen" and making it light up and make noise. He also likes chewing on it. I read (needs citation) that Fisher-Price still has BPAs in their toys; I'm hoping the same isn't true of Playskool.

The screen is really just a flat panel over very sensitive buttons that light-up and control a command. There is one for the alphabet song, one button will count with you (up to 10) every time you press it. You can "call" Elmo, Cookie, Ernie, or the fairy (I'm old school, I don't know her name). And they will have a "conversation" with you or you will get their "voicemail." The weather button cycles through the characters talking about the weather - I like to play when it's sunny, etc...
But you have to press the blue button first for it to do any of these other things. Mine is too little to use this without help, but I knew that going into this. Once the blue button is pressed the screen becomes active and will remain live as long as it is being played with - or until someone uses the switch on the back to turn it Off.
All in all, I really like this product. I'm hoping the screen holds out for another year or so, so my kiddo can actually play with it as intended.
It was a little grubby when it arrived, like it had been banged around in a stockroom for a while, but a little wipe with a damp cloth and it was fine. The manufacturers packaging was very cool - no twist-ties - raffia! I started carrying a pocketknife when my oldest was a toddler because all the toys came strapped into their packages. This one, once you pop the cardboard open, you just remove the tape, untwist the raffia, and feed it through the holes in the back of the phone. Simple, easy, and safer than a knife (I'm a klutz).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 10, 2013
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
My son received this for his 2nd birthday. While it does not solve the problem of him always wanting to play with my actual Iphone, he does still play with it, or anything else that resembles a phone. He is, like many other toddlers, Elmo-obsessed, so he presses the button to make Elmo talk over and over and over again. If you have an Iphone, this toy has a very similar design; bottom center button, with all of your "Apps" on the screen that have Sesame street characters in place. There is a musical mode that the toy just plays songs when you hit the buttons, or an actual play option where you can call whichever character whose face you touch and they will say something silly to your child. The phone lights up wherever your finger touches, plays adorable little songs and sounds, and has been dropped, kicked, thrown, all of the above in my house and still looks and acts perfect, so A+ for durability! This toy is not loud and obnoxious at all, and my son really does use it like a phone. I would recommend it over several of the other toy phones I have tried, or infact, any other toy phone I have seen!
on April 8, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Once we started finding the telltale little teeth marks on the backs of our iPhones and iPads, we knew it was time to buy our son his own "smartphone," the cautionary tales of "screentime for children under two" be damned. No--we bought him this "faux" smartphone, and this purchase has been a pretty good one overall.

Here's what we like:

1) It's designed like a regular smartphone--rectangular shape, home button in the bottom middle, and nine "apps"--to make your child think that this is his own smartphone. So far, it has kept our child's interest, though he still lunges for our devices sometimes. His interest in our devices has definitely waned.

2) The characters are engaging. Each character says something different, and each character says up to three (or more) different sayings, depending on when you press their buttons. Some of their sayings aren't necessarily grammatical (e.g. Cookie Monster: "me favorite color is blue"; Elmo: "What's your favorite thing to do today?"), but my memory doesn't go far back enough to know if this is in line with Sesame Street, and certainly I'm not worried my son is going to say "me favorite color is _________," at least not through adulthood. (And I just wrote what was probably the worst run-on sentence in the history of mankind, so what was that expression about not throwing rocks if you live in a glass house?)

3) The lights and colors keep our son fascinated for a pretty decent amount of time.

4) The touch screen is quite sensitive, which allows our son to manipulate the touch screen himself--and it seems to amuse him to no end that he's able to elicit these noises from the phone.

5) The phone is quite sturdy. We haven't had any major accidents with it yet, but it looks like it will last.

Here's what we'd improve upon:

1) The home button is what activates the nine "apps" on the touch screen. If your child doesn't press the apps frequently enough, then your child has to "reactivate" the touch screen by pressing the home button. This is, of course, all lost on our under-one child; all he cares about is that the Sweet Lil Elmo who was talking to him (ungrammatically) about weekend activities all of a sudden went away. So, as it turns out, the toy ends up being much more mom-and-dad interactive than I hoped it would be. On the other hand, it is supposed to be a toy for older kids, so this is all pretty understandable.

2) The phone is pretty bulky. It's approximately three times the thickness of a regular iPhone, so if the Sesame Street characters belting out ABCs didn't already scream out to your kid that "hey! This is NOT a real iPhone!", then the bulkiness of this toy will definitely give it away.

These two things above are minor, however. This toy keeps our little guy entertained--even if only for a few minutes at a time--and he lights up when he hears Elmo "calling" him. For $13, the price is well worth it.

A few final notes:

1) We find the noise is perfectly adequate. This is a huge con for lots of other reviewers--maybe they're living in louder houses with more children, which would then make it understandable that they can't hear this smartphone over the din of the other noises in their house, but this phone seems like the perfect volume. It's definitely not quiet enough that I would take it on an airplane or anything like that--it's basically just a regular volume. I actually like that it's regular volume and not loud, both for my child's ears and our sanity as parents.

2) The item description says that there are some small parts that could be a choking hazard for children under three. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing anything like that. Our child is well under one and we let him munch on this phone for snacks in between meals. The battery cover is encased in recessed screws, and I can't see how the home button would pop out. So, if you're looking for this product for a child who is under the age of three, I'm not your attorney, and I'm not your torts attorney, but I can't see why you wouldn't be fine purchasing it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 29, 2013
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
My husband said to give this one star but I gave it two because it is sturdy and functions the way they intended it to, I believe.

Pros:
-Sturdy

Cons:
-Very low volume. I know this is supposed to save the kids ears but it is very, very low so you can barely hear it at all.
-Only one real button. Those pictures of Sesame Street characters are not really buttons, just the blue circle can be depressed.
-Fat - meaning, it is hard for a little hand to hold. Two little hands are needed to hold the phone up to one's ear, which they need to do, because the sound is so low.

Overall I would get the Leapfrog phone or mp3 player, or the Vtech phone instead of this one. We really were not impressed.
on March 13, 2013
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
My 11 month old son loves the musicality of this toy. The flashing lights and voices are great too, but mostly he likes to make it ring and then dance to his "ring tone." I love that I can actually use my phone again without him constantly trying to grab it out of my hands. Hopefully it holds up, I can't really comment on durability because we've only had it for a week. I agree with the other reviewer that it was nice to not have to hurt myself opening the package.
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2014
Product Packaging: Frustration-Free Packaging
A month ago I had my daughter in the shopping cart, looking for toys to get her for her first birthday. One thing she had her eye on was the Sesame Street smartphone here, because she loves the show and characters. And since she always goes after phones, it made sense that she'd love this. I let her hold it and she wouldn't let go! It was a sure thing for her birthday, and of course she loves it even more out of the box.

The smartphone is very sturdy and is sure to last a while. It's thick, made of hard plastic, and the main button has enough room on the sides so that it won't get stuck easily. It has two modes- demo and full, as well as an option to turn it off. Demo is what it's set to for kids to try out in stores. Press the main blue button on the front to start it up, and the squares on the 'screen' light up. You can then press any button/app to hear it talk and hear some sounds while it lights up. Switch the phone to the full mode and things change up a bit. Press the blue button and one of the apps will light up, as if one of the characters is calling. You can only press the lit up one to make anything happen. Pressing any other apps doesn't do anything. The character will say a few lines of dialogue, with seconds of breaks in-between, letting your child give a response. When they're done talking, you can press any of the apps to hear what they have to say, or press the blue button to have one of the characters 'call' you. It's pretty cute and there are a lot of different things they say.

This toy is great with all the voices and lights, and with it being so sturdy, it's sure to survive any drops to hard floors or being thrown around as babies and toddlers love to do at some point. I took off one star because the audio is on the quiet side and there's no way to turn it up. Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of parents out there who think this is a good thing, and with it being a phone, your child is likely to hold it to their ear most of the time, but it's still a lot quieter than the quietest setting on the average toy in this age range.

My daughter loves her phone and it's cute seeing her face light up when Elmo and Cookie Monster start talking. She'll hold it up to her ear and nod her head a couple of times, excited to hear her favorite characters. It sure beats the rotary phone toys I had in the mid-80s.
on April 6, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Cute but too low. You can hardly hear it.i like the idea of speaking to different characters but can't hear them.
on February 2, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I love this toy! My son is going through an iPhone, iPad, computer phase (I hope a phase). I can't have any electronic device in his eyesight without a temper tantrum. I saw the smartphone while buying another Sesame Street product and decided to try it. I'm glad I did! He seems to like this more than my phone. I bought one for the car, one for my purse and one for the house. I can finally send/receive a text without a temper tantrum.

My only complaint is that it's not loud enough. Nice for a doctor's office, but you can't hear it at a restaurant. Even though my son may not be able to hear the toy, his attention is kept by the lights flashing on the phone.
on April 3, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
My toddler enjoys this toy phone. There is only 1 button to press, the lower middle blue one. when you press it - various parts of the screen light up and a sesame street character will talk. you can tap the characters to make them talk or other sounds play. its fun to play with, especially because my toddler loves pushing the home button on my iphone, so now she has her own button to push! i would say it doesn't keep the child occupied for very long because you can go through all the options quickly and its just one button to push, but its good to have as an option mixed in with other toys to play with.
on February 23, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Our daughter has a fascination with everything electronic. She is always on the lookout for phones, remotes, tablets, etc. This hasn't stopped her from seeking these items out but this is one of her favorites to play with.

She knows how to use the home button on our iPhones/iPads so this toy is great because it has the same layout. She walks around with it up to her ear talking.

At first I was a little concerned that the volume was too low but then I realized it is designed to be next to their ear--duh.