4.0 out of 5 stars Could be improved upon
Published on February 23, 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars What?? Do some research first!
Published 22 months ago by boyschool

1.0 out of 5 stars What?? Do some research first!, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
If you look at the reviews on this toy, you'll see that they skip 6 years between 2002 and 2008!! What's with that?? Just reading the first reviews before I ordered, I thought I was getting a shape sorter with 18 shapes! Well those were the people that gave it 5 stars.......back in 1999. The latest positive reviews are mostly from people who ordered this and are excited because they'll be getting the same toy for their grandchildren that they remember having years ago. (in other words they hadn't received it yet when reviewing) Well this isn't that toy! Playskool has cheapened it up BIG TIME. It only has 9 shapes now, amazon should really remove the reviews here that pertain to a totally different toy! I would have never ordered it had I skipped back several pages in the reviews to find the truth! Having the #1 review be from 1999 is a little misleading!! Also the shapes are cheap and hollow with only the top being solid, and the bottom is "open" to the hollow interior. (not shown in any pics, misleading again) The entire thing is just cheap junk now with not enough shapes to make it stand out from other nicer shape sorters out there. Would NOT recommend this toy unless Playskool gets a clue and starts making the 18 shapes people are expecting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Tough for Toddlers, January 24, 2001
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
I thought that this toy would be a great value for the money because you got so many different colored shapes, etc. However, I've learned that variety is not always the best thing--especially when it comes to mastering sorting skills.
The main drawback of this toy is that there are 18 different shapes to sort, and each shape fits one and only one hole. Imagine if you will, your average toddler who is just learning shapes and fine motor skills trying to master such a complicated task. Incredibly, it took both my husband and I several minutes to sort them because you have to turn the cube over and over looking for the right hole, and some of the shapes are only slightly different. There is absolutely no way that your average toddler could succeed at this task.
This toy is colorful and my daughter does enjoy dumping the shapes out, but there are many other shape sorters out there that have a skill level that's more appropriate for a toddler. Lamaze makes a great soft shape sorter, and Fisher-Price has one that only has three types of shapes to sort. I'd recommend either of those over this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be improved upon, February 23, 2000
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
This shape sorter is very challenging for an 18 mo. old. I have to show my daughter where to put the shapes & then she can usually get them in with a little work. She is now almost 2. I do think it will become more interesting to her in the coming year. I also found the removable side to be very annoying as whenever my daughter tries to open the box the side comes off and then an adult has to put it back on.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much to learn in one box, September 8, 1999
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
I bought this toy for my son when he was 14 months old. First he used to toss the pieces around and have fun piling them togather. Gradually he started to notice that these peices can fit in certain places (with a little help from me at the beginning) and then started to learn to match the shapes. I also used it to teach him colors and how to count the blocks while he is putting them in. Now he is 2 and a half years old, he can identify the shapes by name and color and can fit any piece in its place in no time. He still has a lot of fun playing with it. As for durability the box cover gets seperated very easily, but it can also be fitted back on fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Mozart ! Get a shape sorter to teach math skills!, August 13, 1999
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
Experts say that listening to Classical music could help kids to be sharp at math, but I know that this toy has taught my son basic geometry at age 2 1/2 ! At first we "did shapes" together; I would guide each piece into the proper hole as I said its name. By age 2, he could identify and name the shapes as he dropped them in, much to the amazement of his Daddy ("Even I don't know what a trapezoid is !"). With 18 different shapes, this toy has more variety than other shape sorters. It's one of my son's favorite tub toys, too. As for durability, he kept escaping from his playpen until I discovered that he was using the shape sorter as a stepladder!

2.0 out of 5 stars I got what I paid for.., August 15, 2000
Rebecca Martin (Bellevue, NE United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
I bought this for my son for [$] knowing that playskool was a pretty good brand..I was wrong about this toy. The top comes off even if you barely touch it..so my son just puts them in the big opening..that dosent teach much..I wouldnt purchase it for anyone and I will look for a new shape sorter for my son.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blah!, November 29, 2000
Yisrael Weiser (Ramat Beit Shemesh Israel) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
We got this toy for my 16 month old, hoping she would grow into it. Well I'd say she has a lot of growing to do. Even I have to concentrate to get the shapes right. The top keeps coming off or getting stuck inside. We do have fun playing together with the shapes and me giving her hints where to put the shapes. I'm sure there is a better shape sorter out there. I would expext better from playskool. The toy wasn't too expensive for a box with plastic shapes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for beginners, June 16, 2010
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
I absolutely love this toy. My only complaint is that I was completely unsuccessful in trying to find it in a local store, even the big toy stores. Thank God for online shopping. Anyway, I've seen complaints that it only has 9 shapes but for me this is not a problem. I think it is wonderful for a beginner. Only 9 shapes means that there are 2 holes to fit each shape into so they have double the opportunity to get it right. They young ones have less of a tendency to get frustrated or bored if they can find the right spot for a shape and celebrate getting it right with you. To me it offers lots of encouragement which is key to successful learning.
My absolute favorite feature of this product is how easy it is to open and close. When my older son was a baby, I tried finding this product and absolutely could not. I had to settle for whatever I could find. Most sorters only had 4 shapes which I believe is "dumbing it down" even for an infant/toddler. In order to find a shape sorter with enough shapes to make it a challenge at all, I had to settle for one that is a circle. I quickly learned that my son could not use it at all without me because he could not open and close it on his own. While I believe you should play with and teach your children, it is also beneficial if they can try on their own at times. This completely solved that problem for my youngest son and I feel like it was well worth every penny I paid for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An adequate shape sorter, January 13, 2001
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
I watched my daughter play with all of the different shape sorters and this was not one of her favorites. The shapes are difficult to get into the box. A far superior model is the Ambi one. It was by far the favorite at our local parenting center.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Flimsy!, November 26, 2000
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary) (Toy)
I was not impressed with the sorter box. It is very flimsy, and the top is always falling off. My child uses it as a basket instead of a sorter. Had to buy a different sorter.

Playskool Busy Basics Form Fitter (Colors May Vary)
$9.99 $9.13