Playsport does not turn on again after disconnecting from USB Received a new Kodak playsport from Amazon, encountering several problems with it. Should I return it?

1. After being disconnected from PC via USB, the camera does not powers on again. It just briefly powers on after pushing the on button, but then shuts down. Sometimes I get it to work again after removing the battery.

2. Playing the videos back on the PC, I see a bad white pixel on the image. Seems its only on 720 and below resolution video, but not on 1080 and on the still 5mb picture. The bad pixel is fixed when image stabilization if off, and wanders around if image stabilization is on. Could it be a software compression problem within the camera? Or is it a hardware problem?

Did anyone encounted similar problems and fixed it?

Kodak PlaySport (Zx3) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera (Blue) NEWEST MODEL
asked by dblko on August 21, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
votes
I found this post it might help some of you:

"As it turns out the battery initiates an auto shutdown sequence when it is completely drained. When trying to recharge the battery from this "completely dead" state, it fails to get above the charge level where it won't auto-shutdown. (Think of the iPhone that doesn't turn on until it is over 5% battery when charging from completely dead). Due to this flaw in design it is necessary to hold down, or repeatedly click, the power-off button directly after you plug the camera in. This will manually override the auto shut-down feature that disconnects the battery and prevents charging. The camera should turn off immediately but the charging light will stay on since it was manually turned off instead of using the auto-shutdown protocol."
Alex answered on February 6, 2012

A
votes
The one I bought in February for my daughters birthday is having the same problem. It will not turn on at all. Sent an email to Kodak today to see if they have a resolution. The thing is only 6 months old and she has used it only a handful of times. Quite frustrating, as she wanted to use it on our vacation.
sb043 answered on July 20, 2011

A
votes
my zx3 doesnt charge at all for few weeks.. and it doesnt turn on..
i bought a cheap universal external battery charger and charged the batteries for 3 hours..
bam it worked.. :) i bought something like this.. Anker™ Multi-Purpose Universal Rapid Battery Charger for iPhone iPad; HTC Sensation, EVO 4G, Thonderbolt 4G; Motorola Atrix 4G, Droid X 2, Droid X; LG Revolution, Thrill 4G, Optimus 3D; Samsung Galaxy S i9000, Galaxy S2 i9100, Infuse ; LG; Palm; S...
patrick (aperture66) answered on October 19, 2011

A
vote
I'm joining this comment party quite late, but I had the same problem. The battery completely drained between uses and I could not get it to charge via USB due to the auto shut-off design flaw programmed into the device. I bought an off-brand wall charger and spare battery, charged the Kodak battery that way and, Voila! It works again and now I have an additional charger and a spare battery.
Amy Weierman answered on December 28, 2013

A
vote
Just like all of you, my Kodak Playsport Zx3 would not power on OR charge through the USB cable. Took me a while to get it working again, and it's now like new!
Here's what I did:

1. Removed the battery and checked the charge. A fully charged battery should have ~3.6v, mine had 0.3v, so mine was clearly dead.
2. Invested in an external battery wall charger since it would not charge through the USB; it cost me ~$10 on ebay for the charger AND an extra battery.
Just search for "Kodak Zx3 charger" (FYI it's cheaper on eBay than Amazon)...
Mine looks exactly like this: STK's Kodak KLIC-7004 Battery Charger - for Kodak Zi8, Kodak PLAYSPORT, Kodak EASYSHARE V1253, Kodak PLAYTOUCH, Kodak EASYSHARE M1093 IS, M1033, V1073, V1233, Kodak PLAYSPORT Zx3 Video Camera, Kodak EASYSHARE M1093IS, V1273, M2008
3. After the battery charged, I put it in my camera and voila, it seemed to work again!

BUT.... more problems came. A day later, my camera would not power on again, even with a fully charged battery!
My search continued to find a solution, since I really really loved this camera...
I read somewhere that the problem is the FIRMWARE built in the camera. My firmware was 1.03, and according to the website, it needed updating.
Here's a link with the instructions on how to update the firmware:
http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17501/selected/true
** Note: you will need an SD card reader to upload the firmware file if your camera does not turn on or if it does not connect to your computer! **

5. After the file was uploaded on the SD memory card, time to power on and let the camera update! But wait.... my camera doesn't turn on!! Ugh.
I started wiggling the battery and pushing the battery into the camera as far as it would go (all while holding the power button), and it finally turned on, yay!
6. Went to the date/time set up, then the regular shooting mode. I then hit "play" to access my pictures/videos, and the camera finally prompted a firmware update (looks kind of like a memory card symbol), hit the check mark and voila, you now have the stable firmware 1.12 on your camera!

Hopefully no more problems after this! :) Good luck everyone!
Corinna answered on February 11, 2014

A
votes
In my case somehow it started working after trying a few times, and have not have the problem again. Strange.
dblko answered on September 15, 2010

A
votes
Mine sicks too. I have to push the reset button after EACH function I perform.
GShan answered on July 1, 2011

A
votes
I am having the same problem, even brought a new battery and it still does not come on. Warranty is up, so what can I do.
Cathyann V. Khan answered on March 4, 2012

A
votes
Worked for me too! Thanks!
zette27 answered on May 30, 2012

A
votes
I took my Play Sport Zx3 apart. After looking at the mother board and chips I see no way to test it or replace a bad fuse. New technology in the printed circuit board layers copper plate between the green lacquer coatings. The circuits can not be traced. My personal believe is that one of the chips is defective and shorts out internally. Which chip it is I will never know. Nice quality camera but some body sold Kodak a faulty chip.
F. W. Zervos answered on June 22, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›