5.0 out of 5 stars On the Move
The Motion Controller and the PS Eye are the minimum needed to bring 'Move' to a any PS3 console. No exceptions. If you already have a PS Eye then the controller alone is the only purchase necessary. On the other hand, to fully enjoy certain games, you may want TWO Move Controllers.

It's hard not to be impressed by the Move. While I can't see how the Move's...
Published on September 17, 2010 by A. Dent

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
So overall this item I gave 3 stars because although I love my Playstation (outside of my original Nintendo, I have only had playstation as my game system) I just really don't like these hand held things. I like interaction in the game but if I can do it without the hand held controller that would be preferred. For the actual product I received, it linked to my...
Published 5 months ago by Bella

5.0 out of 5 stars On the Move, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)

It's hard not to be impressed by the Move. While I can't see how the Move's Motion Controller can become PS3's 'main' controller, I believe that it's going to find lots of good uses and hopefully in hard-core games and in the RPG games that I'm usually playing.

SETUP

Press the PS button. If the controller is charged... you're done.

Of course, to do anything useful, you WILL need a PS Eye camera and maybe a game :). You CAN use the controller to navigate the PS3 XMB menus but it may take some getting used to - I am still reaching for the DualShock.

MOVE'S MOTION CONTROLLER

The Wikipedia has a very thorough review of the technology inside the controller - impressive. It's probably worth going there to get an idea of what's under the hood.

From a user's point of view, the Move could be viewed as approximately the right side of the DualShock 3 where the motion tracking function is the R3 analog stick, R1 is the MOVE button and the R2 becomes the Move's T(rigger). You also get the 4 Square/Circle/X/Triangle, in a square (not 'diamond') formation, the PS button as well as the START and SELECT. So far, the most used buttons during gameplay were the MOVE and the T(rigger).

In addition, you get a wrist strap. At the opposite end of the microphone or thick wand-shaped Move there's a USB Mini-B port for charging and another port that seems to be proprietary - must investigate.

The controller is quite substantial as far as both size and weight - I like that and liked its being shaped in a way that makes it easy to grab and hold. Very much like a microphone or a very thick magic wand; NOT a remote control.

Based on my experience so far, Move's ability to track your motions far surpasses anything that I'm aware of in the gaming universe. Every single movement, up/down, left/right, toward/away and wrist rotation are accurately captured and almost instantly reflected on the screen and so is acceleration that would usually translates as 'force' in games such as sword fights or ping pong. In addition, there is haptic (tactile/rumble) feedback, a little too weak in the games I played so far, making the gaming experience that much more realistic.

I am not writing a lot about the Eye camera because... it's just there and it's not the subject of this review. For as long as it can see you, it simply does its part so that you may enjoy your game.

PLAYING

I've tried so far everything in the Champions game and one puzzle game demo downloaded from the PSN. Our little girl is playing the Eye Pet demo and my boys are playing mostly the sword fight and the archery games in Sports Champions. Considering that Sports Champions is an early game, my expectations were not that high but, surprisingly, Ping Pong did meet my expectations. I've been playing real Ping Pong ever since I was 11 or 12 so I probably know what I'm talking about and the Move version of Ping Pong is GOOD. As for the others... sword fight, kids like it. Archery was okay, Bocce was so-so, Frisbee Golf not too bad. Three of the six Champions events benefit significantly from using TWO Motion controllers.

For the games I've played so far, this is NOT a couch experience. On the Sports events I was sweating after a few minutes and I had to get off the couch and stand up even when playing the puzzle because of its depth element. This is probably a good thing.

I am sorry for having to do this but, absent 'hard core' games, the only comparison I can make is between Move and Wii and... to put it VERY mildly, the Wii shows its age when placed next to the Move. Except for it lacking a built-in speaker, the Move controller is ahead of Wii in every single respect: precision, responsiveness, ergonomics. The fact that the Eye camera can and in certain games DOES track your body not just the controller helps too. Of course, the Wii has the games but the Move games should be coming fast so I'm not worried.

MY RATING

It's 5 stars for the technical merit, ease of setup and for the overall experience. Hopefully, the games will be coming quickly and in good quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tech, September 22, 2010
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)
It's a shame that Sony's new motion controller Move is so much compared to the Wii. Aside from the basic principles, Move is a lot different than the Wii. And if you ever played Wii and then pick up Move, you'll quickly be able to tell the difference. The accuracy with this thing is out of this world. It follows the wand with 1:1 motion and no lag at all(not yet anyway) And you can go into 3D space, like going into the the picture and grabbing something out, something the Wii couldn't do. But this review isn't about the Move VS Wii, so I'll shut up. I've played Sports Champions and Start the Party and some demo games, and this controller is perfect. It's built solid and it feel good in your hand. The glowing orb on top is actually pretty cool, but it's not just for looks, it actually has a purpose, and it's purpose is to help the camera follow the controller by following the light. This controller is still very new so I can't note on reliability, but I'm sure it's great giving it's from Sony.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vast Improvement In Motion Gaming Controls, September 18, 2010
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)
After having bought the PS3 move all I can say is amazing at how easily it's to use and how incredibly it reads the hand and arm motions of the player while you are playing a game. The Wii motion Plus when it came out was suppose to help fix the wii remotes sometimes unsteady reading of the Wii remote motion during gameplay but even than it really didn't seem that much of a vast improvement, but with the PS3 move as you play the gladiatorial fights and archery or just playing ping pong reading the wrist movements and the location of the motion controller is vastly superior especially if you've just played a Wii game and start playing this a couple of hours later. Setting up the motion controllers is also vastly easier than the Wii remotes just use the usb hookup when you turn on your console and motion controller than go to the accessory settings on the PS3 and you'll see the motion control calibration setup to begin and within a few seconds you're set to go. It does seem a little more fun though if you have two motion controllers for some of the games on the Sports champion one, notably the Gladiator and archery one for the most part but not truly necessary to play the games if you just want to have one or just only bought one. So for the great price for this is it worth getting?, I definitely say yes while some have called it a clone of the Nintendo Wii I feel it's vastly more than just that with all it's been able to do and the great enjoyment you're sure to get while playing with the PS3 move as well...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great control, got it with the bundle, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)
I already have a PS3, so I bought the bundle with the Eye, game, and controller, then I bought this controller for 2 player and more 1 player versatility. So far, I have had a lot of fun with the system. The camera and controller are very easy, just plug and play. You calibrate the controller at the start of each game, which basically entails pointing the controller at the Eye and hitting a button. Not difficult.

The game play is fun and intuitive, especailly when compared with the Wii remote, which was pretty cool for its time (I mean, they just took a Game Cube and made a new controller for it. I certainly didn't guess it would sell as many as it did). The Move just takes it to a new level. It's not shaky like the Wii, and you actually have to move to make it move around the screen. If you've ever played Boxing on Wii, you will have noticed that you don't actually have to punch, just flick your wrists. With the Move, you have to actually move around.

Anyway, I like the new controller and am glad I bought 2 to start with. I may buy more later, as the games are developed, but this is a lot of fun out of the box. One more thing: the glowing, color changing, ping pong ball looking thing on the end of the controller is not hard plastic, but a rubberized material, like silicone. So, if you whack it into things, it won't break or anything. Seems like a good design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Tech, September 19, 2010
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)
When I got my hands on this device I realized instantly it was no Wii rip off. The precision is dead on, and trust me.... you won't be dissapointed. It's farrr more comfortable then it looks and it is truly 1:1. I do warn you, it does look a little bigger in real life than the pictures though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., September 20, 2010
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)
The PS3 Move controller is innovative as all hell.

When you use it, you have to sync it up by holding it to your waist, shoulder, waist and belt-loop which quickly becomes a learned action.

The end of the controller is actually made using the same rubber with which baby pacifiers are made.

It's very easy for the PS Eye to detect the Move controller since it has built-in tilt sensors as well as the lit-up orb, so it has all the same functionalities of Wii Motion Plus, only it's also high definition and has a much better processor.

On Sports Champions, a game I highly enjoy thanks to this controller, I use two Move controllers and play Archery.
You have one controller dedicated to arrows and the other dedicated to the bow. It was a bit awkward at first, but I learned how to work it amazingly and now nothing can stop me.
You use your dominant hand to reach behind you (essentially like you were scratching the back of your neck) and pull the T button (the trigger on the underside of the Move controller) to grab an arrow. At this point, bow ready and arrow retrieved, you hold both controllers within the other's close proximity and it acknowledges that you're ready to notch the arrow. Then, you keep your bow arm stiff as possible and pull back with your arrow arm. You get to use your bow arm and move it entirely to aim, and it's incredibly precise.

Not just that, but on Table Tennis you can literally hold the controller however you'd like, the camera knows if you're getting up close and personal and if you're backing away based on the relative size of the orb of light.

Bottom line, get it. Just do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Playstation Move Controller, September 26, 2010
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)
With the upcoming title releases for the PS3 Move you will definitely have to get your hands on an extra one of these to keep up with the fun and especially having more than one player interaction.

This is exactly the reason why I bought an additional controller along with the PS3 360GB w/ Move Bundle which includes Sports Champion. Hardcore PS3 fans will be glad that they got their hands on the precision perfect controller and may find it hard to go back to their old Sixaxis controllers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)
This has got to be the most fun I've had with my PS3 in months! HIGHLY recommend getting the Move. I bought this as an addition to the new 320gb bundle (I upgraded.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Skeptical at first, September 24, 2010
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)
When I first saw the move, I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. Motion control with a stick like device was too Nintendo Wii for my tastes. It was 50 dollars so I bit the bullet and purchased one. I had somewhat high expectations for the device- the Wii has been out for 4 years so I expected the motion control to be top of the line.

The control is fluid as can be. There is virtually no noticeable lag, the precision is just really mind blowing. I expected to waggle at times, but it really does work as advertised. I'm a 21 year old hardcore gamer, but even this won me over. Granted, it is pricey, but the control is legit.

I would recommend this product to anyone who enjoys family games and multiplayer games. It's better in a group.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Move Controller is Great!, July 6, 2011
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Accessory)
I really like the Move Controller! I played Gladiator using both controllers and it was fun and I feel like I got a workout. I heartily endorse this controller if a player wants to fully maximize his PS3.

ARRAY(0x9fb04a44)

Playstation Move Motion Controller
Playstation Move Motion Controller by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
$49.99 $24.84