5.0 out of 5 stars playstation
Published on January 19, 2011 by De Leta

3.0 out of 5 stars A console that defined my junior high years
1996. Rewind your mind. Coffee was the popular drink in group circles and Windows 95 was the staple in every PC-owning household.

Published on July 22, 2011 by J. Jongeling

5.0 out of 5 stars playstation, January 19, 2011
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)
I am 71 years old and I have played video games since I had cancer (20 years ago). I wore out my P S console and just now received another one. I do have a P.S. 1 and a P.S. 3 but enjoy the old games also.. The console came to me in very good condition and the controller works very well. Everything looks like it is a new unit. I will continue to be a Amazon customer. THANK YOU

5.0 out of 5 stars A Legend, August 1, 2009
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)
The Playstation needs no introduction. It was Sony's first attempt to make a game console. The company definitely succeeded. The system's 32 bit graphics and CD Quality sound were very good for its time. Despite it's competitor, the Nintendo 64, which had better graphics, (I love this system too), oddly, didn't win the fifth generation console war like Nintendo had done for two gaming generations. The Saturn, on the other hand, despite being a delight, met an early demise. Let's go back to the Playstation. If I could describe its library in one word, that would be "Enormous" Not only that, but it had many quality titles as well. My favorite is certainly Metal Gear Solid. I also enjoyed games such as The Final Fantasy Series, Grand Turismo , And The Playstation equivalents to other video game mascots, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon. Most Unfortunately, After The Original Playstation, Crash and Spyro departed from being game mascots, and became, way less popular, game characters in very mediocre games, which is a bummer to me because I thought they were going to be as recognizable as Mario and Sonic. Back to the console itself, the controller is one thing I like a lot. it is one of the most comfortable ones I ever handled, The Original Digital Gamepad was a milestone in controller history with two shoulder buttons, a comfortable feel, and the then new X , Circle, Square, and Triangle, As well as the then common Start and Select buttons. But it gets even better, In 1998, Sony Introduced The DualShock Analog controller with two analog sticks, making playing games easier than using the D-Pad. The Console makes great use of the CD Format. Although the games have long load times, More material could be put on a CD than a cartridge, making it a wise choice at its time. In addition to that, It can play audio CDs perfectly. In 2000, The PS One was released, it was a smaller, lighter, version of the console, it is the same thing, and as it is the same thing, It was Amazing too. The PS One has grown old now, but it will always be an important part of video game history. Here are the pros and cons of this magnificent console.

Pros:
Massive game library with quality games.
Great Graphics and sound for its time.
Makes Great Use Of the CD format
Can play audio CDs.
Memory cards easy to store and use.

Cons:
Long load times.
Memory Cards Do not hold much.
Early models prone to overheating.

3.0 out of 5 stars A console that defined my junior high years, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)

I was in fifth grade. It all started when I was at my uncle's house, where we usually faced off in Sega Genesis games like Primal Rage and Mortal Kombat. This time when I came over however, he had a new toy. I couldn't remember what it was called, but I heard him say "station". Space-station? Dream station? I didn't know for sure. (hint : it was the Playstation.)

When he showed me what it was I was psyched. The games were on discs so I instantly thought it was mega expensive (and at that time, it was). I was used to seeing video games on cartridge. The control looked like an alien space ship with all of the weird symbols (X? O? Square? Triangle? What the? Where's the A, B, and C buttons?!). I thought it was a mathematical equasion, I honestly did.

I was awed when he put in a fighting game. It was 3D, and the characters were slick and shiny. The screen expanded as the characters moved away from each other, and I remember that I liked the jaguar character the best (he roared).

This game would later be identified to me as Tekken 2 through an internet search at my mom's house. I wanted the Playstation so badly I could cry. I asked for it for Christmas. I asked for it for my birthday. I never got it. It was too expensive. BUT, I did get birthday money - and save, save, save I did.

Fast forward to November of 1997. Tonight was the night that I had finally saved enough money to buy a Playstation Game Console. It was a school night - but I didn't care. I wanted it! "Remember your bedtime" my mom's voice echoed in my head. I grabbed the $150 out of my dresser drawer and we took a trip to the local BX. I went all the way back to the gaming section while mom looked at perfume or something boring like that. Playstations had JUST come down in price, and though they were still pricey, mom said she'd spot me the rest. I saw the N64 sitting next to the Playstation for the same price. Believe me, I thought about it. Instinct told me to get the PSX and I carried it to the register.

I made the right decision.

The Playstation instantly had me swooning. The demo disc in the package had cool games like Rally Cross, Crash Bandicoot, Blast Chamber, and yes, wouldn't you know it - Tekken 2. I played the crap out of that demo. I had nothing else. So I kept saving for a game, and I saved for another 2 months before I had enough to buy my first game - Tekken 2. $39.95 at Sears.

The rest is history, as I was welcomed in by great titles like Ace Combat, Twisted Metal, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy VII.

Great memories. But I will say today, if you do buy a Playstation, get the tiny one - the bigger model had a tendency to stop working after a couple years and in 8th grade I had to buy the new PSOne. (That PSOne is still working today, 10 years later). I went through two greys and my cousin went through one. They were not built as well as the newer models, so buy the tiny white PSOne.

Happy gaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the PS3! PS1's where it's at!, December 6, 2011
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)
Don't get me wrong, the Playstation 3 IS a decent console, but most of its games are already on other systems, but with more DLC (So it seems) that you must pay for to get additional content, and the system is already overly expensive (Even now). So why do I prefer this original over PS3? Is it because of its graphics? No. It's because of its game library.

The Playstation had a good amount of games that I actually WANTED, and they weren't on other systems, and even if some were, those versions on the other systems would be inferior to what this classic system had to offer. Such examples are Mega Man X4, Pac-Man World, Rayman, Frogger, Spyro (Well, I bought A Spyro game), etc (And maybe the original Crash, too, once I buy that game). If you want, you can go see my reviews for some of those games.

The games do not have online play, nor do they have DLC (What do you expect from a 90s console?), but what they DO have will keep you at these games for a very long time. Video games should be about just playing them and trying to beat them for the fun of it, NOT about superior graphics or whatever else gamers easily fall for (I'm looking at you, COD). This original Playstation console proves just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT STARTER GAME FOR KIDS 6+, December 16, 2008
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)
I bought this item for my niece and she loves it. She used to play the supernintendo and loved it, but I got her this system to help her intergrate into the new gaming styles and this is helping her learn the controles that are on the new systems. ----Great all around--- and pleanty of games to go with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS1 better than PSone due to Link Cable functionality, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)
"PSone" doesn't have quite the same functionality as Playstation (PS1).

I recommend the grey PlayStation (PS1) console over the [white, smaller] PSone console. PSone does not have a serial port like PlayStation (PS1) does. A serial port is required for PlayStation Link Cable multiplayer game functionality.

The PlayStation games Twisted Metal, ESPN Extreme Games, Diablo, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto 2, and Command & Conquer: Red Alert Retaliation are some of my favorite video games of all time.

All of the above mentioned games can be played and enjoyed on a PSone, but I love being able to play Command & Conquer: Red Alert Retaliation with the Link Cable.
PlayStation Link Cable 2-player games are fun:
-Take two PS1 consoles (not PSone consoles), 2 game discs, 2 TVs...
-Connect the PlayStations together via the Link Cable...
and two-player games can be played with each player having his or her own full screen that can be hidden from view of the other player.
I highly recommend the PlayStation game Command & Conquer: Red Alert Retaliation and its Link Cable functionality.

Here is a partial list of games with Link Cable multiplayer functionality:
Andreddi Racing, Armored Core, Armored Core: Project Phantasma, Armored Core: Master of Arena, Assault Rigs, Blast Radius, Bogey Dead 6, Burning Road, Bushido Blade, Bushido Blade 2, CART World Series, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Command & Conquer: Red Alert Retaliation, Cool Boarders 2, Descent, Descent Maximum, Destruction Derby, Doom, Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown, Final Doom, Formula 1, Dune 2000, Independence Day, Krazy Ivan, Monaco Grand Prix, R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Red Asphalt, Ridge Racer Revolution, Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed, Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012, San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing, Tales of Destiny 2, Test Drive 4, TOCA 2 Touring Cars, Trick'N Snowboarder, Wipeout, Wipeout 2097, Wipeout 3: Special Edition.

***Please comment and tell me your favorite PlayStation Link Cable games and why***

An anal-retentive note about PlayStation terminology:
The original Sony PlayStation is correctly, retroactively dubbed the "PS1".
PSone is the smaller, white console without a serial port (or parallel port, as some PS1 consoles do have).
And, although many people refer to the original PlayStation as "PSX", the Sony PSX is actually a rare PS2 + PS1 + DVR combo that was released in Japan but not in the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, December 23, 2012
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)
My son ordered this and he loves it. It arrived faster than I thought (which was a great surprise for him), it was in great shape and the price was very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST be on the top 10 for game systems!, November 9, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)
when this was popular,I was only a baby. but when I was 6, my parents decided to give me my first game system,my dad's a gamer. he has a PS1,but not a ps2 unfortunately. he gave me the ps1.he showed me the games he had like crash,spyro,gran turismo, parappa the rapper,and more. I loved the system, eventually I got a ps2. but I still use this to play ps1 games.
so if you can't afford a ps2 or a ps3, or if you're a "game guy" and wanna get this, this is the one for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, September 22, 2014
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)
I really wasn't that impressed with the Playstation. When it first launched it was probably the best console out there but once the Nintendo 64 came along I played that a lot more. The Playstation only had built in multiplayer for two unlike Nintendo's four and it was less powerful. It had a digital controller too rather than an analog like Nintendo's. Though it did boast a larger game library most of those were third party crap titles not worth playing. All in all I thought it was just an average system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., September 25, 2009
A Human (New York City, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playstation System - Video Game Console (Console)
Ignore the 1 star reviews. They're all based on seller feedbacks.

This is an excellent console. Arguably the best of its generation of consoles, though I can't say I believe this statement. It has hundreds of games, from various genres. This console is especially awesome if you love RPGs.

I highly recommend it, though you could just as easily get a PS2 (which can play PS1 games).

However there's nothing better then playing the games on a PS1.

Playstation System - Video Game Console