5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Affordable Stick
I was worried this fighting stick was going to be of low quality because of the price. I was wrong. This is a control that offers an amazing gaming experience for a real fair cost. Honestly after buying this I truly believe all other arcade controllers are way over-priced.

Published on November 16, 2012 by Carlos Gustavo

3.0 out of 5 stars A 3 out of the box, a 5 if bought for modding.
The stick itself is very solid and weighty, which is nice. The buttons and stick feel cheap. I've been using this stick for a good 5 hours and I've noticed that the stick has randomly become less responsive.

Published on July 22, 2012 by wiski

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Affordable Stick, November 16, 2012
Carlos Gustavo "Avilés" (RHODE ISLAND, UNITED STATES) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Playtech Pro Arcade Fighting Stick for Sony PS3 - PC - PS2 (Video Game)

This stick has the perfect size, the perfect layout, the perfect amount of buttons. It works excellent with the PS3 and the laptop, as well with the PS2. I played it for various hours at a time without it giving me any kind of problems.

The stick itself is well made, and completely responsive, it plays just as well as the analog on the PS3. I tested it with all these games and it works wonderful:

PS3

Street Fighter X Tekken
Takken Tag Tournament 2
Final Fight: Double Impact
Streets Of Rage 2
Zen Pinball 2 (All Tables)

PS2

PC

NeoGeo Arcade Complete Library
Capcom Arcade Complete Library
Sega Arcade Complete Library

The reason why I think the stick responds so well is because is set to the D-Pad which is usually the more accurate way to play arcade type of games.

It has a feature where you can switch between the D-Pad, The Left Joystick, and the Right Joystick, by simply holding down the Select and Start buttons.

It comes with a Turbo option that honestly I don't use, it is like one of these extra features. You can set it up between 4/Hz, 6/Hz, 8/Hz and 12/Hz.

It has all the buttons of the Sony controllers:

Square
L1
L2
R1
R2
The PS Button (Very important for the PS3)
L3
R3

As well as the Turbo and Clear buttons, that can also be used on emulators.

Because the layout is well made, you can easily set the buttons on Mame to

B1 - 6
B2 - 2
B3 - 1
B4 - 7
B5 - 4
B6 - 3
B7 - 0
B8 - 5

... in order to replicate the exact layout of most arcade machines like the MVS.

If you are playing Mortal Kombat in Mame, you can just set it to

B1 - 3
B2 - 5
B3 - 0
B4 - 2
B5 - 1
B6 - 4

... in order to replicate the Sony setup

I plug my laptop to my TV with the Hdmi cable to enhance the experience, I use the PS2 with the component, and the PS3 also with the Hdmi. You can do the same and use the scanlines when available.

It is very solid, perfect weight, not too heavy, yet it has enough weight to keep it still, I like the materials with which is made, it looks and feels of great quality. It feels very durable, it will hold well the pass of time, even if used often. It also makes all the sounds of a real arcade machine.

What I love the most is that the actual fight stick is far and separated from the buttons, which is something you simply can't get anywhere else, not even with the most expensive sticks.

The controller light is set to player 2 on PCs, but that is just the light, when you plug it with the USB it will still be used as player 1, or if you want you can also set it yourself to player 2 with the emulator.

On the PS3 the lights blink and on the PS2 they are off.

The cable is a little short, but that is convenient when it comes to not have to tie it up, either way you don't really play arcade machines from too far. The cable is not too short either, it still holds and adequate distance for a big screen TV. Even though it has a great size, it is still very portable with about 5 lbs of weight. I often carry it around between rooms.

I love the fact that they only chose to set it for PC, PS3, and PS2, which are honestly the best home consoles to play arcade games. That way it doesn't have all those unnecessary plugs for other systems hanging out.

Problems:

The only problem with the control is that on the PS2 you cannot switch the use of the stick between D-Pad, The Left Joystick, and the Right Joystick, it is default on the D-Pad only, which works well for most games, but in games like Mortal Kombat Armageddon you can play very well in the fighting section which uses the D-Pad, however you cannot play in the mini car section which uses the Left Joystick.

Despite that, I still give the control 5 stars, considering the built, size and price.

Update: For those who were having doubts about the Select + Start function I uploaded a video to show how it works. Here it is:

[Look for the link in the comments because I guess they didn't allow me to post the URL here on the actual review]

2.0 out of 5 stars So far not so good...{UPDATE 1/8/2013}, November 30, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Well i bought the Arcade stick thanks to a review by Carlos Gustavo and man i was dissappointed. Everything works except moving right and even when i do the select + start thing i still have problems. It is driving me crazy. If anyone can help please because so far i am disappointed

UPDATE: Well i finally got it to work thanks to someone from youtube. All we did was open it up and moved a wire and it worked. I am dissappointed that this item came in not working and us actually having to open it and fix it. The Arcade stick is fine and the buttons well..i don't like how they feel and after a long while it hurts my hand..this was not worth the buy..

3.0 out of 5 stars A 3 out of the box, a 5 if bought for modding., July 22, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

For example, in a game menu, it wouldn't scroll up for me for a little while, or I've had trouble jumping left (upper right corner). I didn't notice this problem when I first started using it. The buttons also seem to sometimes give multiple inputs. For instance, when in training mode with the Inputs showing, if I try to hit three buttons simultaneously, I will at times see Light and Medium Punch input followed immediately by Light, Medium and Heavy Punch inputed, after having only hit the three buttons once.

For a $27 I can't complain, as I've heard people complain about garbage controls on sticks four times as expensive, and if I was rating this with my original intent in mind, which was to buy it to replace the stick and buttons with higher quality controls, I'd give it 5 stars, as the case is nice and solid with all the button options I'll need for either Playstation or PC, as well as quick disconnects running to the stick and a harness on the PCB running to the buttons, so I don't have to solder on the PCB, I just need to cut the wires on the harness and spice them to quick disconnects going to the buttons I'll put in (internally).

Having never used a fighting stick with the stick itself closer to the buttons, I can't say if I would prefer it that way, but the configuration is comfortable.

Unfortunately, I have to rate this as is, a cheap fighting stick that also has cheap controls that may not last very long. But, if I was rating this as a cheap stick to buy just to mod it, I'd give it a 5. (I don't remember if the product description stated, but the stick is a square gate)

1.0 out of 5 stars (Dead on Arrival) - Bad Joystick, February 12, 2013
This arrived at my door DOA. The joystick does not recognize 3 of 8 directions. I have to give this 1 star....Poor QA. Sorry Playtech.

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh....Average, January 14, 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought mine hoping it was just the thing i need, turns out it got boring and the joystick was sometimes irreponsive meaning it did not move right or left until i jigged it a little harder

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Expectations, December 1, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
With all the reviews online stating how quickly arcade sticks begin to fail, I was worried. But this stick has taken some abuse; falling down, resting food and drinks on it, a few temper tantrums, etc. But still works perfectly and has a very nice weight to it. If I had have any gripes A) Get and extension cord and B) The lights constantly blink when attached to the PS3.
It makes a huge difference in fighting games in my opinion and it just gives you that feel you get from the Arcade that a controller simply can't replace. I plan on getting a second one as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 2-D Fighters, April 27, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The PS3 Arcade Table Stick is my first home console joystick. It didn't cost as much as others and is responsive and very comfortable especially with the ergonomic palm hand rest for the buttons.

The stick has a square gate, meaning the joystick moves in a box not a circle. The square gate made it interesting and fun to play 2D fight games cause I knew the move I put in, say down and back was input correctly. From what I heard the US arcades use circle gates and Japan uses square gate joystick. I haven't totally made my mind up about which is better yet, but it would be difficult playing an old school side scroller or other type of 2D game with the square gate.

The cord is about as long as I am tall; 6'2 inches, but it is short and when I use the stick I have to move my chair closer. The entire box set up is light and comfortable to play with lying in your lap.

There are Turbo and Macro functions. Any button can be set to turbo and there are two speeds. You can use the macro function to set up a maximum of a fifteen step button combination set to any button. There is no memory though so you have to set up the button functions the next time you play that game. You can't turbo a macro but you can prolong or shorten the input of a macro. Makes a hard finisher easy to pull off.

This product is made in China by/for Playtech, but the same product is also branded/made by Subsonic. If it ever brakes there are plenty of suppliers for replacement buttons and parts but opening the box may be the hardest part because there are no screws or holes. The stick and action buttons do not feel particularly durable but I wouldn't call the entire package cheap. Like I said it is my first joystick. The buttons are silent but the joystick clicks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Junk & a complete waste of money !, January 8, 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this to use on my PS3 & everything works except moving right. So it's useless because you can't play a game w/o moving to the right. I basically just wasted $30 on this stick. I would return it, but i don't even feel like messing with the hassle. I tried doing the select+start process that it tells you to do on the back of the box & still it never would let me move to the right. Way to go Playtech, you got my 30 dollars & a promise that I will never buy anything else ever again from your company. Stay away from this stick ! It's a complete piece of Junk & a waste of your hard earned money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice arcade feel for pc and console games, November 6, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I hooked this up to my windows xp pc, and it worked fine. I wanted to use this with MAME. It does work in mame just fine. However, if you're serious about building a mame machine, you want to go with real arcade buttons and controllers, or at least one of the prebuilt sticks like slickstick, or x-arcade's tank stick. But, if you just need a quick fix in mame with a low budget arcade style controller for fighting games, Galaga, Pacman, ect, it's a great starter controller.

The spacing between the stick and the buttons is a great feature. I used this kind of spacing on my homebuilt arcade machine, so I felt right at home. The stick feels a bit like a 4 way stick, but it's not. it does 8 way motion. It souinds and feels like there are micro switches clicking away inside the stick. However, when it comes to the buttons, these are certainly no substitute for the real arcade buttons. These are very flat and mushy feeling. There are no microswitches in these buttons. They feel, and act like there's a rubber dome under each switch. Also, I discovered taht the buttons are over a circuit board, and are not customizable. You can't replace them with your own buttons, so it's not exactly an "arcade" controller. I do wonder how long it'll take to wear out the buttons. Surely not as long as a real arcade controller. Also, the shape of each button is convex, so that makes them even less like a real arcade button which is concave shaped.

The weight of the controller is good and heavy, and the rubber feet prevent the unit moving about as you play games.

I have yet to try out the controller on a PS2.

For the price, it's a good start towards arcade style gaming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but LOUD.., July 14, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Lets start by the size 15" x 8" perfect for fighting games. Im using it on a XBMC for Killer Instinct and works great fast respond time the size has your hands set comfortable and it does not move around or lift up. the buttons are fast and responsive. here is the bad the joystick is a little loose and feels kinda cheap not to forget it is loud but to its credit it is responsive and dosent miss much.
all in all for the price its worth the buy.

Playtech Pro Arcade Fighting Stick for Sony PS3 - PC - PS2
Playtech Pro Arcade Fighting Stick for Sony PS3 - PC - PS2 by PLAYTECH (PlayStation 3, PlayStation2)
Out of stock