2,062 Reviews
 (1,231)

5.0 out of 5 stars Long lasting, durable AND comfortable!
I have memorized the model number of 4693 - a bra built for human females. The wide straps are awesome... they are tapered in such a way that they don't look like industrial strength suspenders, but they stay in place and don't flip over or cut grooves into your shoulders.
Published on May 12, 2003 by Shelley Gammon

3.0 out of 5 stars Great support, weird cups.
Published on June 4, 2009 by Ilianexy Morales

5.0 out of 5 stars Long lasting, durable AND comfortable!, May 12, 2003
These bras do not have underwires - which means they don't get mangled in the washing machine or poke through. I have been buying this model number for almost 10 years now. Each bra has lasted me for almost 5 years with weekly washings in the washing machine and clothes dryer.
During their productive life span, they do not falter in support or comfort. I've never had a problem with hooks or eyes coming off the fasteners, or loose threads coming off after a wash.
Like any elastic garment, however, it will not last forever when you wash and dry all the time. Some people hand wash their bras and line dry them - I'm sure they would last much longer if I did this - but I just don't make the time to go through that effort.
The straps have a tiny amount of tapered padding that also helps in the comfort arena. When they call this an 18-hour bra, they are not kidding. I have had a number of situations at work where I have had to stay late - sometimes stay at work for a 24-hour shift now and then. When I've had to do this in the past w/ other bras, I thought I was going to drop dead from the fatigue and neck aches - but even after 20+ hours with this Playtex 4693 18hr bra, I am barely aware that it's even there - because it does it's job without needing constant fiddling and re-adjusting.
I don't even try on other bras anymore - this is THE best bra there is for comfort and support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Playtex Women's 18 Hour Original Comfort Strap Bra #4693, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Playtex Women's 18-Hour Original Comfort-Strap Bra #4693 (Apparel)
I've been wearing Playtex for years and years (over four decades). Its the best made bra out there (yes, I've cheated a few times and tried different brands from time to time, but I always come back to Playtex). Most of the complaints I see on this board are women who just don't know how to fit a bra or wash it properly.

I suggest you complainers go to a professional and get yourself fitted properly; and while you're there make sure they show you how to put a bra on properly. That's why you get that cone shape, you're not putting your breast in the cup correctly. Your bra is on wrong! Or its an improper fit. Go to Playtex and watch their video on how to fit yourself properly so you can buy a bra that fits instead of blaming Playtex.

If you're even a B or C cup(and really probably an A or AA cup), you don't just don a bra and wear it out and think its going to look great. You have to take a minute or less to put it on properly. Mine have no cone shape when I bend forward and place my breasts into the bra properly. The straps are comfortable, no stretch around the band after I've worn them for four or five years. They give me great support without that awful underwire that I have a personal distaste for since I had to wear them in the early 70s and boy were they uncomfortable back then!).

I wear my bras under tees, under sweaters. They look great and they keep me supported for years, which is especially important for a 42DDD. They've never ridden up in the back, even as they age (one of the few brands that won't ride up on me, eventually). I purchase the size I need. If you want a bra that pushes your breasts up so you can let the world enjoy them, get that style of bra (Playtex has them), don't just buy a smaller bra, thinking it will do the job. It won't. It will just look like you're wearing a bra that's too small.

If you're 37" wide below or above your breast, that doesn't mean you wear a 37" band. You have to add your cup size to it, which varies from a few inches to over six inches, depending on your cup size. Please, please, please, watch the video and spend just a couple of minutes finding the proper fit. You'll feel much better in bra that fits.

Scratchiness? Did you wash the bra by hand with mild soap before you wore it? And make sure you rinsed it very thoroughly? Did you line dry it? I've seen reviewers post on clothes they have worn, but haven't even cleaned yet. How can you tell anything by that?

You know if you don't follow directions and make an honest effort to buy the correct product, it not very fair to rate a bra one or two stars because of your own errors.

As to the woman with the gooey mess. You must have worn it for years, or dried it in a very hot dryer or something because I've yet to see that happen with any of my Playtex bras, and there are a few I've had for years. They still work, years later and never caused a gooey mess.

So follow the simple directions and enjoy your new, wonderful Playtex bra for a long time! You just need a tape measure and a tiny bit of research.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great support, weird cups., June 4, 2009
The bra has great support everywhere which I loved but I don't think I will be able to wear it because the cups look like two cones and it just looks weird. It reminds me of Madonna's corset with the two long cones in each breast. I think they design it this way to make women's breast look perky but they just look weird and unnatural, I prefer circular cones not triangular ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compared to underwire, November 2, 2012
I hate to admit that I love this bra. The short of it is, I think it is as supportive as the best underwire, and is comfortable and shapes really nicely.

I'm in my mid 30s, with a large chest, especially post baby. 38 DDD. I am an underwire advocate - "It's the only thing that lends support" - I've argued this with my mom, who refuses to go underwire.

Well, Hurricane Sandy hit, and even though I wasn't originally in an evacuation zone, I had to get out of my building fast. I grabbed stuff for the baby and ran, but took nothing for me. So days later, as I lived on a couch with a relative, we made the trip to a big retailer, and I tried to buy some basics. I didn't want to spend the $50+ I usually spend on bras, so I picked this up for 1/3 of the price, along with a pack of granny panties and all sorts of "discount" options - just to get by until I can eventually get back to my apartment.

All I can say is it's 3 days later since I got this bra, and I love the shape and love the support, and I think this is my bra going forward, which is absurd for someone like me whose entire bra collection is in the $50-$100 range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bra ever!!, July 19, 2006
D. Schmuck (Lititz, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This is the best bra I have ever bought. Being a bigger size, its very hard to find the perfect bra because none of them ever seem to fit right or give much support. This bra fits perfectly and provides the support a full-figured woman needs. I really recommend you try one of these, its well worth the money and its the only bra I will use from now on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit.Great Support. OMIGAWD, WHAT'S THAT SMELL?!?!?, July 15, 2013
I bought four of these. Thus begins my tale of woe.

The fit and support is spot-on what the positive reviews say. Comfy, too.

But wow, oh wow, they smell like rubber, and I don't mean a little bit. They smell like a tire shop. Seriously, go to the tire shop and take a whiff--that's your scratch-and-sniff for these bras.

I washed them the first time out of the package, because land o'Goshen, they stank. After a trip through the delicate cycle with a generous amount of mild detergent, I allowed them to air dry, and was pleased to find the smell, while still present, had alleviated somewhat.

Then I wore one of them while I was doing some gardening and breaking a decent sweat, and the smell came back. Worse yet, IT GOT ON ME! Like, on my skin, making my hoo-ya's smell like a pair of white sidewalls. If your husband digs the smell of a demolition derby, you're in for an awesome evening after wearing one of these bras to the gym.

I've put them all through the wash a second time, and this time I didn't hold back. Heck with the delicate cycle! I tossed them into lingerie bags and put them in with the rest of the wash, a good one-hour cycle with a healthy shot of detergent and some nicely scented fabric softener.

Bad news, girls. I just took them out to hang them dry, and once again, the smell's dissipated, but not gone.

It's summer. I'm going to break a sweat while I'm wearing these bras, and I dread the odor leaching onto my ta-ta's. I don't know if it goes away with enough trips through the washer, or if I'm doomed to have my lady bags smell like a pencil eraser during mid-terms for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure they're well-made, but I'm going to have to wash them after each and every wear, and that can't be good for the life of the bras. I'm not seeing a way around it, though.

Would I recommend these bras to you? Yes, if you work at Midas, Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube or some other place where you might have some olfactory camouflage. Don't wear this bra on a date unless the guy you're going out with is really, really into that new car smell.

Unfortunately, these bras are supposed to be durable and long-lasting. With my luck they'll last forever.

A COUPLE MONTHS LATER:

Okay, so I've been washing these after every wearing, which means they've been washed once a week since I wrote my review.

The smell's dissipated enough that it's almost undetectable--either that or my nose has given up. Dunno. It took several weeks and several washings. The bras still wear well and have weathered all of those washings with remarkable resilience. I toss them into a lingerie bag and put them through the regular wash cycle, then air dry. They've retained their shape and still fit nicely.

Sorry Playtex, but I'm not changing the number of stars. If you have to wash them weekly for a couple of months to get rid of a bad odor, then it's a problem with the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for the price., July 3, 2006
This is probably one of the best bras I've owned. I like the wider straps. They don't dig into my shoulders. The material is smooth enough to wear under most clothes if you don't wear anything that's too tight. My only complaint, and I have this problem with most bras, is that I don't think they can get by calling it an "18-hour" bra. Every bra I wear, and I've experimented with different sizes, seems to eventually ride up in the back and sag in the front. It's like I either have to wear more than one or change half way through the day. For the price though, it is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bra for the money, March 29, 2007
Great bra for the money and very durable. I gave it 4 stars because the comfort straps need to be improved. The straps tend to be sharp in certain areas, making it uncomfortable and even a bit painful. I do have very large breast so I know that makes it worst. Overall I do recommend. For smaller breast it may be perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars T H E.....8 7 6 0 -- H O U R.....B R A, April 23, 2011
Patricia "A Reader" (Queens, New York, and Denver, Co, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
PLAYTEX WOMEN'S 18-HOUR ORIGINAL COMFORT STRAP BRA #4693 has been around a LONG time. When a product has been around for a long time -- and especially if it comes in many colors -- one knows it is a GOOD product, whatever it is. It doesn't pay manufacturers to make a product in lots of colours if it won't sell!

This bra IS good. It is comfortable and is easy to "twist". That is, its easy, for people like me, who like a back-fastening bra, but just can't reach the back, to first put the hooks in the front, then twist the closed hooks around to the back. Smooth process, easily done.

The lift is fine. The fit is fine. The price isn't bad either.

However, this bra comes equipped with "stretch-ever" elastic, on the bottom, sides, and back of this bra. It's a kind of a super stretch-lace -- very pretty and very thick. And, sadly, it eventually stretches TOO much....

After about three years of wearing this bra 8 hours a day, (365 x 8 x 3 = 8760),
something very STRANGE happens to the "stretch ever" elastic. It changes form!
It no longer appears to be "stretchy lace", but instead, a grey kind of sticky
rubber appears were the white, (in white bras), stretch-lace used to be. The lace design is still there -- but it now contrasts with the grey, rubber-like backing.
This backing almost feels like silly putty, and is malleable between your fingers.

Three years is a good life-span for any bra. It's just this very unpleasant "surprise" of a greyish-rubberized semi-goo, suddenly appearing right
beneaath the pretty flower-lace of my bra that really threw me for a loop, the first time it happened, many years ago.

But, hey, the bra fits, it feels great, and it's price is good. And It lasts approximately three years, before the "change" occurs, and the "grey monster" suddenly appears. Just be aware of this fact, and you won't be as shocked as I was.

This bra is still my favourite!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, January 15, 2007
The Playtex 18 Hour Original Comfort Strap bra is a classic amongst bras, especially for those of us who wear larger sizes. This bra is both comfortable and uplifting. It is nearly impossible to find bras in the size I require anywhere but online. Ordering via Amazon was quick, easy, and my order arrived sooner than expected.