Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Package Type: Retail|Change

on January 21, 2013
There are hundreds of reviewers who rightly complain about the price of these refills. I'm quick to join them. However, the Daiper Genie just flat-out works too well to retire so here's what we do to save money.

When the Genie gets full, I pull the bag out and use scissors to cut the bottom knot off and let all the dirty diapers fall into a trash bag or grocery bag, which I then tie up and toss in the outside garbage. I then simply retie the Genie Refill bag and use it again. It doubles (or triples) the life of the refills.
2020 comments| 446 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2012
These refills are ok. The system works pretty well at reducing odors...but I just can't cope with the idea of continuing to spend $7-11+ for four bags (which is what we get from each one of these refills).

I decided to try buying kitchen-size trash bags with an odor-block feature. I put the kitchen bag down through the chute and tuck the top around the top of the area that you open to install an official refill. Then when the whole thing is full, instead of tearing the bag and knotting it to start a new one, I just take the old bag out and put a new bag in. Turns out it works fine. When the diaper genie is full it is the equivalent of 1/2 a kitchen trash bag! Since I bought the kitchen bags specifically for the diaper genie, I don't feel like I need to fill the other half of the bag to get my money's worth or something...but, just saying, each of the official refills basically holds less than two kitchen trash bags worth of diapers. For $7-11+.

So, with the official refill you're spending $1.75-2.75 per bag, and you have to do the awkward cut and tie with a full bag of diapers, but it looks a little prettier because no portion of the bag is exposed outside the system.

With Hefty 45 Count 13 Gallon Cinch Sak® Tall Kitchen Bags E86755 you're spending .17 per bag, and it is less awkward, but it is not as pretty because top of the bag shows outside the system.

I guess it just depends on what is important to you, but we'd much rather have the top of the bag show and get 10 times as many bags for the same price. This also means that we don't have to remember to buy bags often at all. We just bought a box of 45 bags and it's lasting quite a while.
44 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2012
My husband and I have one year old twins and got a Diaper Genie for our baby shower and we continued to buy the expensive refils until one day in the store, another mother told us that 13 gallon trash bags work just well if not better! Just keep one of the empty rings and wrap the top of a trash bag around it and push the bottom of the bag through the Genie!! Tah-dah!! No more expensive refils!!!
88 comments| 461 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 13, 2012
I have a newborn and just finished my second refill. She is 6 weeks old. I know how many diapers I've been through because I've tossed almost all of her diapers at home (still don't get out much). I'm just starting a 5th case of 88 newborn diapers. That means I've gone through 4 cases of 88 each = 352 diapers. 352 diapers in 42 days = 8-9 diapers a day (that sounds about right).

Anyway, my point with the above calculation is that I got about 175 diapers in each refill. Not at all 270. Maybe they packed them airtight - but through normal use, I think it's far less than 270. And of course, once she gets into larger size diapers, it will be even fewer.

So what does this mean? Based on current pricing, it means I'm paying another 3.5 cents PER DIAPER for my diaper genie. And that's newborn size. If you are someone sitting there calculating your per-diaper costs, you may not think much about what it costs you to toss it.

Then again, even at 3.5 cents per diaper, you're still talking about maybe 30 cents a day. That's worth it to me. I like my diaper genie a lot and I do find these refills convenient.

But if you tend to look for ways to get that 19 cent diaper instead of 22 cents or whatever, this adds a lot (relatively) to the cost. Might want to try the regular trash bag trick that another reviewer mentioned.
on February 25, 2012
These were a perfect fit for our diaper genie Elite. I don't know what people are talking about that these aren't the same thing because they look exactly the same as the ones that originally came with our diaper genie from Babies R' Us. We had no problems with them fitting and they are far cheaper to purchase on Amazon than they are in our local stores. I will definitely buy them again. Just make sure your buying them for the right Diaper Genie specified and you should have no problems.

EXTRA $$$$ Saving HELPFUL TIP: To get the most use out of these I don't use the cutter mechanism on the diaper genie because I was noticing that it wasted too much of the refill. Instead I keep a pair of scissors nearby and cut it when the bag needs changing. These really extends the life of my refills. I am getting a good 3-4 weeks or more out of each refill by doing this.
on June 5, 2016
Bought these as a gift for a friend's grandbaby. I bought the Diaper Genie II as a shower gift and she needed refills, so I bought these for her. She really likes her Diaper Genie and uses it all the time.
on October 5, 2012
Just have to share...I read a recommendation that suggested skipped these refills and just putting a regular plastic trash bag in the Diaper Genie wrapped around a leftover refill cartridge to hold it in place. My hubbie and I were patting outselves on the back at money saving scheme until we realized that are usual garbage bags were too thick to allow the inner Genie mechanism to seal off the dirty diaper compartment. BAD PLAN. Very stinky little girl's room!

Needless to say we went back to the Genie refills which are thin enough (yet sturdy enough) to allow for the proper seal, and are glad to be smelling our little girl rather then her diapers :-)
on December 24, 2011
Playtex no longer makes the Diaper Genie II or the Diaper Genie II Elite, therefore they no longer make the refills. They claim these Diaper Genie "Essentials" refills are compatible and yes, the cartridge does fit inside the Diaper Genie II Elite pail. This is, however, where the compatibility stops. The "new" refills are perhaps make of a thicker plastic than the Diaper Genie II Elite refills, which may sound wonderful when you think about odor protection. BUT!! The clamp inside the Diaper Genie II DOES NOT CLOSE all the way with the Diaper Genie "Essentials" refills so there ends up being a faint odor in the room!! Don't be fooled if you are in search of Diaper Genie II or Diaper Genie II Elite refills, this isn't them!
99 comments| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2011
Yes I do purchase this item and love using it. I do wish it was less expensive and no matter where I shop it is never on sale. This company knows you need it and until a competitor does the job as well as Diaper Genie they have no reason to bring down the price. I finally got smart and only use the Genie for poop diapers. The rest go in the regular trash can.
on June 16, 2013
I use this diaper pail with the refills to hold bags of dog poop. There is no odor and it is convenient to use. On garbage collection day I cut off the filled portion of the bag and dispose of it with the rest of the garbage.