on October 18, 2006
When I heard this product was coming out I was excited. We had a 4 year old diaper genie and we were ready to upgrade. When the new one finally arrived I was VERY impressed. One hand use. No twisting. NO SMELL AT ALL. Attractive. My favorite part is the indicator on the bag when you're to the end. It never failed with the old system; I'd tie off for a new 'load', get one diaper in and run out of bag. NOW they are so smart to put a red line to indicate the end. The refillable bag lasts about 4 weeks for me (stay at home mom so it's used a lot). The refills run about $5. Because it doesn't `sausage' the diapers you can get more in before you have to go to the trash can. You can't use 1 hand to lift the pail. But I find it easier to just take the tied bag of diapers to the trash can instead of the whole system. I LOVE it needless to say. I would HIGHLY recommend this product.
on June 21, 2007
I'm really surprised by all of the rave reviews of this product as I don't feel it lives up to the hype. I supposed if you are scoring it on improvements alone you can give it more stars, but in some ways it falls short of the original. I'll give you a pro and con list so you can make an informed decision.

Pro:
It holds more than the original (I think).

Con:
Odor control: Good until you put in another diaper and get a nose full of the previous diaper. The original Genie twisted between each diaper so you didn't smell the previous diaper. This one spring locks to an open bag so you could potentially have several stewing bad diapers inside.

Cutting Mechanism: Better than the very bad original model but still needs help. You cut it by pushing the bag bundle against a blade slot inside the pail. The blade is only on one side so you have to push just right against the blade to get a good cut. It often requires a couple of passes. A better design would have been two counteropposing blades for a perfect cut no matter how you put the bag in.

New Bags: This was a blatant money making scheme. Since you use less of the bags because you don't twist in between each diaper they gave you less bags. They could have easily designed this with the old bag system which would have allowed you to go even longer prior to changing bags. Clearly that would not have allowed enough bag replacements so they force you to buy the new smaller one. The bags are also not scented like the stage 2's were and are not as readily available in supermarkets like the originals.

Unsanitary: This unit seems less sanitary than the original as you have to physically push the bad diaper through the spring loaded trap. The spring trap is firm to keep the smell in but as a result you have to touch the interior of the bag push it through. If you could just drop it in without having to push it through it would have been better. Ever have those really full diapers? Picture one of those and then push it into spring loaded trap door. If there is any resistance from previous diapers pushing back from the other side (and there usually is) your full diaper tends to squirt!

Thus my quest for the perfect diaper pail continues. This is my fourth pail and all seem to fall short. My daughter will likely be potty trained by the time I find one that really works well. I'm currently testing the First Years Odor Free pail and it seems to be working better.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was part of a test group for the Diaper Genie II and almost instantly preferred it to the regular Diaper Genie. We really liked the design compared to the original which we described as a nuclear waste container. This one is much easier to use. Flip open the lid, push diaper through the clamps, close lid. That's it, no twisting. It does a wonderful job keeping odors out. It does use refills and we finished it in about the same amount of time as the regular Genie (2 to 3 weeks). The only thing that I miss with my regular Genie is the handle that allowed me to pick it up with one hand. This was great for vacuuming or just picking it up to take to the garbage can. The Genie II requires you to use both hands to pick it up. I don't know what the price is for the refills yet since I haven't seen them on the market. If they run the same price as the regular Genie, I would recommend going for the new Diaper Genie II because it is easier to use and is a better design. Hope this helps anyone looking into diaper disposal systems.
on April 22, 2008
I wish I had gotten another Diaper Champ but I didn't... I liked the idea that the dirty diapers would be bagged. I thought this sounded like a great product. I read some positive reviews. Here's how it works though. You change the baby's diaper. It's a messy, wet #2. You roll it up as best you can. Then you reach over to your genie. With one hand you open the lid. The other hand then has to push the dirty leaky poopy diaper into the genie. You actually have to push this nasty diaper down pretty far. The problem is that to get it past the stink gate, you have to apply force... causing contents to spill out onto your hand. It's disgusting. It's like they didn't actually test it on babies. My diaper champ is so much better. You drop it in the hole and flip the top for it to go down. Enough said. Diaper Genie II sucks. I regret the purchase.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Wow...

Let me say it again...WOW!

I am a stay-at-home mom with 2 daughters: a 3 month old and a 2-1/2 year old, so I change a LOT of diapers every day. My 3 month old is breastfed so her diapers don't really stink yet, but my toddler's diapers not only stink...they STANK, so let me just tell you, I know what I'm talking about when I say that this diaper pail REALLY WORKS at eliminating odors!!!

I have had first-hand experience with the Diaper Dekor and the Safety 1st Neat! disposal systems. I have close friends who have used the original Diaper Genie and the Diaper Champ, so I'd like to share a few pros and cons of each system, so that I can fully explain just how AWESOME this one is.

-Diaper Dekor:

Pros: pretty (as much as a diaper pail can be), easy to use, doesn't waste bag, large capacity - doesn't need to be emptied too often

Cons: doesn't hold in odors (the last straw was when the trapdoor broke off completely...), needs a special liner, safety hazard (it's SO easy to use that even a toddler can open it...and the bag cutter is right in the front of the door...), most expensive of the diaper pails

-Neat! by Safety 1st:

Pros: really holds in odors, toddler-proof, pretty large capacity

Cons: needs a special liner, ugly, loud/clunky to use, wastes some bag

-Original Diaper Genie (this is second-hand knowledge that I have gathered from friends):

Pros: Hmmm....good question :)

Cons: needs a special liner, annoying to use and mechanism often stops working, cutter gets dull quickly, wastes a LOT of bag, doesn't hold in odors

-Diaper Champ (this is a combination of first-hand experience (I used one at a friend's house) and second-hand knowledge that I have gathered from friends who have one:

Pros: you can use your own trash bags, large capacity, relatively inexpensive

Cons: doesn't hold in odors very well, not very sanitary (diaper touches the pail directly before it's dropped down into the base), toddlers keep playing with it (icky)

-DIAPER GENIE II

Pros: holds in odors GREAT, doesn't waste bag AT ALL, easy to use, pretty (for a diaper pail), easy to empty (but not so easy that a toddler can do it)

Cons: needs special liner (but the liners last a long time since bag isn't wasted), capacity is a bit on the small side (but that's because I have 2 kids in diapers who are at home during the day)

Bottom line is that the Diaper Genie folks really must have paid attention to people's complaints about previous diaper pail systems, because almost every problem I've ever experienced has pretty much been corrected with this pail. It is incredible and I would recommend it to anyone with a baby!
on November 2, 2006
I have a 2.5 month old and 22 month old. I also run a Home Daycare. I have used the Original Diaper Genie and the Diaper Dekor. Both left a lot to be desired. But I love this product so far. There is no twisting. The refills are easy to put in and seem to last a while. Most of all: NO SMELL. I have been using it for several children of several ages, eating lots of different stuff: formula, baby food, table food. It works the best of anything I have used so far.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2006
We have both a Diaper Champ and a Diaper Genie II.

The Diaper Champ is by far the superior product. For starters - our Diaper Genie breaks about once a week - the spring inside that holds the clamps together pops off if I stick my hand in too far. Second it uses Playtex propritary refills - the Diaper Champ uses plain ol' trash bags ($1 for a box of 50 at the Dollar Store).

I have found no perceptible difference in either product from the standpoint of odor control - they both do a fine job.
on December 27, 2006
Experienced the original Diaper Genie with my baby niece about 2 years ago, was a royal pain this bottom to load with diapers and to change out the liners. And it seemed like the liner needed replacing every couple of days, probably due to the "twisting" sausage effect.

I received this new Diaper Genie II as a gift for my newborn, and WOW. It is truly easy to load the liner, and I used it from last Wednesday through this Tuesday before needing to empty it. Emptying it was as easy as advertised, I slipped the liner through the cutter and tied off the top of the dirties and tied the bottom of the liner where we were starting over again.

At first, it took two hands to un-snap the lid and get it open because it was new, now after a week it has been adequately broken in, and it truly is a one-handed operation.

Even though baby is a newborn, she's been producing some MASSIVELY stinky diapers. Prior to receiving the Genie II, we were using a regular trashcan. The Genie II has completely contained the smell since it has been in use, and my nursery is now blessedly odorless!

The liner situation is great. Diapers do not come in contact with the actual container which is extremely sanitary, LOVE IT! Also, it seems that you can safely stuff a LOT of diapers into each load which is great.

Bottom line, I give my highest recommendation for this product, 5 stars PLUS!! This will be my signature shower gift to others from now on unless I get beaten to it.
on May 29, 2010
#1. I found it quite disturbing that I had to push a dirty diaper with my hand through into the pail. Try doing this while your other hand is on your baby who is squirming. If it is a runny poo-poo diaper you will get it on your hand as you try to squeeze it into the pail. All I have to say is ...yucko!

#2. You have to buy special bags. I recommend buying one where you can just use plain kitchen trash bags. Save your money!

#3. Odor control...I think not. You have bend down over the pail while you are pushing a yucko diaper in with your hand, so you get a whiff of brewing diapers every time. On a positive note it did seem to be ok smelling while it was just sitting there. But this may be because I changed it often and diapers weren't really sitting around in it for longer than a day.

#4. I knocked the thing over more than not when trying to put in a diaper. It is not very sturdy because the base is quite skinny. Especially if you have it sitting on carpet and it is empty. I found putting a diaper in this thing was really a two handed job. Not exactly easy to do when your baby is laying up on a table and is feeling squirmy.

#5. Doesn't hold a lot of diapers. I found myself emptying it quite often. This waists bags because each time you empty it, you have to pull the bag down a bit to cut it off. Then tie a knot in to make the bottom of the next bag.

I'm currently using the hands free diaper pail by graco which, although has some issues of it's own, is actually a much nicer pail.
on August 2, 2011
and bought a diaper trash system. As a first time mom, I was pretty naive. "I don't wanna waste money on THAT. I'll just throw away the baby diaper trash every day". As a matter of fact, I threw it away TWICE a day and the trash still reeked of a horrific stench, courtesy of poop my daughter generously expelled as a result of her growing and adventurous appetite for solid foods. Just being in the vicinity of one poopy diaper caused gag reflexes. So I purchased this one (off Craiglist for $10 bucks with extra refill) and since then, I am in heaven. The bag holds plenty of diapers so that I don't have to throw it away daily. Maybe every 3-4 days? And the stench? Completely gone. I throw in a lot of soiled diapers AND keep the pail in the baby room and still no smell. Previously, I left the garbage pail OUTSIDE the room. The pail is easy to use and I dont have a problem with using it. Of course I have yet to see how many days one re-fill will last and they do seem pretty expensive (hence the 4 star rating instead of 5), but its worth not having a wave of stinky poop violate my nose. So Little Munchkin...hit me with your best POOP!!!