Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Please Please Me forum

Please Please Me (Remastered stereo) 1:44 to 1:52

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2009 8:17:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2009 8:18:53 AM PDT
bjoecool says:
I bought all 14 of The Beatles remastered stereo CDs at Target today at 8:00am (for $142.74 after sale price and promotion), and I started listening to the first release Please Please Me. It sounds great, but I noticed something odd between 1:44 to 1:52 of the song Please Please Me. On the right speaker, I begin hearing what I think are the drums and cymbals, but delayed - not in time with the drums/cymbals that play on the left side throughout the song. It makes the right speaker kinda noisy and messy for that brief period. And compared to the 1987 mono release, the harmonica on this remastered stereo version of this song now sounds much louder, almost to the brink of distorting. Still sounds good, but these really caught my ear on the first listen through just driving in my car on the way home from buying the CDs. I hear the same at home on headphones. Anyone else notice? I'm sure there will be more surprises as I play through the rest. I'll have to wait another week to hear the remastered mono box set.

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 3:25:14 PM PDT
This 'distortion' was really an attempt to fatten up the take used to end the stereo mix by syncing another take to the recording - a very difficult thing to due with the technology of the time. What you should be more surprised to hear in the stereo mix (if all you are used to is mono) is the 'botched' vocal take on the last verse in the edit - Paul & John get their words mixed up, and John laughs through his 'call and answer' portion of the chorus. Mono was the priority, since is was still the dominant format, and the burgeoning stereo recordings were for the highbrow set investing in the new technology.

Posted on Oct 5, 2009 3:04:16 PM PDT
Ryan says:
The first time I listened through to the stereo remaster I picked up on the botched call and answer and John's near-laugh right away. I did several listens back through and you can hear it even on speakers, not just headphones. I like that through all their years they were never above leaving little imperfections in their final takes, but that's one I never knew existed until now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 4:25:57 AM PDT
R. Bone says:
The Harmonica was recorded as edit pieces which were edited into the stereo and mono masters.Un-noticable in mono but they stick out like a sore thumb in stereo because where the edit pieces (harmonica) are the song jumps to mono.Different takes were copied and used making the stereo mix (done 3 months after the mono mix) too.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Please Please Me forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Please Please Me [Vinyl]
Please Please Me [Vinyl] by The Beatles (Vinyl - 1995)
4.4 out of 5 stars (382)