Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 23, 2007 7:59:17 AM PDT
I've looked it up in my dictionary, I've googled it, and I can't find a definition of "hallows" or "hallow" as a noun that fits this book. As a verb, "to hallow" means "to sanctify." As a noun, it has something to do with Halloween in Wiccan tradition. But in this book, it seems to mean an object of power. Anyone have an answer?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 8:02:59 AM PDT
Only thing I can think of is "All Hallow's Eve" Halloween. Maybe it's just the name she came up with, doesn't necessarily have a specific meaning.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 8:51:38 AM PDT
L. Franzen says:
Think of it this way.....something that is hallowed is something that is holy.

Deathly Hallows = Items which are holy to Death

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 8:57:07 AM PDT
b0pp says:
Hallows
1. To make or set apart as holy.
2. To respect or honor greatly; revere.

Those that created the name "The Deathly Hallows" treated the items as a part of a quest, kind of like a holy grail. I'd imagine that is the context in which it is meant here. Those that believed in them also revered the objects, aka, desired, were in awe, adored, worshiped, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 9:02:02 AM PDT
The Hallows also refer to the four suits of Tarot, which I think what was mirrored in this book: swords (Gryffindor's sword), cups (Hufflepuff's cup), wands (The Elder Wand), and pentacles (Slytherin's Locket....pentacles can refer to things worn around the neck).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 9:03:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2007 9:04:31 AM PDT
A.M.G. says:
Main Entry: hallow
Function: noun
obsolete : a saint, a shrine, or a relic
Hallow as a noun has been rarely used for the past several hundred years and is considered obsolete except as a component in words such as Halloween and Allhallows. It is not listed in most dictionaries but has been added to this database because of the renewed interest in it sparked by the publication of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 9:15:20 AM PDT
To "hallow" something can also mean to treat it or view it as an object of reverence or awe. This would fit with the context in the story, as the "hallow(s)" were objects of great importance and power. No religious significance here. See the Oxford English Dictionary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 9:19:08 AM PDT
CapnJTKirk says:
Alok, many of us discussed this as possible months ago. However, AMG's entry above mine (just below yours) is what it is being referred to. The Deathly Hallows are relics (supposedly) created by Death. This is the meaning of the story Xeno Lovegood told the trio (and which was also in the book Dumbledore left for Hermione.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 9:28:58 AM PDT
Well, yes, but of course, the Hallows in the Tarot deck echo the Grail myth, which, consequently, is THE relic which makes one "a master over Death", which the Deathly Hallows supposedly did as well. I'm merely saying the parallels are there.

Furthermore, I thought the question was what the definition of "Hallows" was outside of the context of HP.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2007 6:15:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2011 9:05:00 PM PDT
REVIVIO FILUM!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 9:05:10 PM PDT
Revivio Filum - Redux!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 10:15:33 PM PDT
Irish Hallows, the tray, the chalice holy grail and the sword. Stone, Cloak, and Wand. Actually there are no hallows. They are a English thing. Someone on here before the book came out in a discussion explained them.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 4:41:11 AM PDT
F. Henley says:
"Hallowed be Thou name.." or "Hallowed be." Both curiosities when heard by a child. A name holy? A word holy? In one of the Benedict 's homilies he points out that "In the beginning there was the Word..." further reasoning that the Word, intellect, was holy/hallowed thus any name/word/intelligence was holy and good and true. Untruth is bad and not holy. However to a species that is so young as humans to see the plain unvarnished truth would drive us immediately crazy so we collect bits and pieces enjoying being drawn nearer to that devine state of holiness that seems to be possible. "Curiosity" is robotically collecting some of those bits and pieces while impeded by fear and ignorance we fail to finance it as wholeheartedly as we have financed the bailouts of the 1%. We need to pass HR1489 and initiate NAWAPA. Those measures would raise the quality of living with access to nutrition, shelter and education enabling an acceleration of human progress to match the progress of the universe. Step up, have fun and hallowed be.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jul 23, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - August 1, 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars (19,392)