5.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied
I loved this book. Being the third in this particular series it brings a possible dramitic close to the story.
Published on September 6, 2009 by H. Coffelt

1.0 out of 5 stars I felt teased!
I was expecting a STORY of a character. Instead we get a glimpse of "what those stories WILL be". As a seriously adoring fan, I was SOOOOO disappointed with this book. It almost felt like marketing material for upcoming editions to the "Dweller" stories.
Published on October 12, 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied, September 6, 2009
The book was written in two parts. The first part was a short story of the priest Sagan and the second being Malaya and Guin's story. Sagan's story is a very good story filled with love at first sight and quiet passion, I wish that there had been a whole book to focus just on him and his love Valera. But since it is not, it is just a precursor to the long awaited story of a Queen and her mate. From the beginning I fell completely in love with the character of Guin. He is strong, arguementative and completely loyal, every girls dream. I found it very refreshing that it was not him that was completely blind to the feeling of love. Instead, it was the stubborn and strong willed heroine who had no idea what she had until it was gone.
The story plays out beautifully and I could not put it down. The only problem I see with this book is that the last few pages seem very rushed and thrown together. I didn't mind it enough to hinder my reading experience but as always with a good book I am hoping that it never ends. I would definately recommend this book and all of Jacquelyn Frank's to any and all who love a good paranormal romance. I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next!

1.0 out of 5 stars I felt teased!, October 12, 2009
This review is from: Pleasure: The Shadowdwellers (Kindle Edition)
I wish I had paid more attention. I was so engrossed into Sagans story that when it switched to Malaya I wanted to scream!
Of course I had expected the next story to be either Sagan or even a story of no particular character but maybe a combination of all so far to erase the threat looming over santuary and the royal house. This book is a way of introducing a multitude of spin off books for the rest of the series but it just ticked me off that I felt teased with one story and then the next. No ending to either in reality....(or our book reality)
I was left wanting. I'm sorry Jackquelyn....this was a bust for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., October 6, 2009
The stories were rushed and underdeveloped. I did not like the two separate stories in one book. I kept waiting for the big tie in or cross-over that never came. Each storyline was cheated. I had been really looking forward to Malaya and Guin's story but I felt cheated. Sagan and Valera's story had great potential but again it was underdeveloped. I'm still a fan of the series and hope she continues but it was lacking. It wasn't bad...it just wasn't good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, October 9, 2009
I've read all of the Nightwalker series and this book is the one I didn't like. It was too rushed and was underdeveloped. I was hoping to better understand Sagan and the relationship to Guin and Maya but I felt that it wasn't enough. The romance was not believable and there could have been more to the political intrigue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much sex,not enough story, August 28, 2009
I had just finished reading the previous book in this series(my first by this author),so I was looking forward to reading this one. This book is actually broken into 3 parts- first part is about the priest Sagan, who as we left him in the last book,had been kidnapped by the evil Acadian;second is the story of Queen Malaya and her bodygaurd Guin. Guin has been Malaya's bodygaurd for 40 years(did I mention that these characters are very long lived)and he has been secretly in love with her for just about as long. The third part brings both storylines together and ties everything up.
I dont think of myself as a prude and I can appreciate a good sex scene as much as the next reader, but there was far too many and they did not advance the story, they just took up space. For example, Sagan is rescued by Valera, a woman living alone in the Alaskan wilderness. We find that she is a witch and that witches are the mortal enemies of Sagan's people. Valera lives alone because about 9 years ago, she was part of a group of the kind of witches that are reviled by Sagan's people. She left the group in disgust and decided to be alone except for her many cats. She saves Sagan, who by the way, has been celibate for the last 20 years,ever since his Handmaiden-a type of religious wife and helper-died in the civl war 20 years ago. By the way,Valera has been celibate for the past nine years. Within 2 hours of meeting, they are going at it like rabbits. Their story is non-stop sex, with a few passages by Valera of "omg,I can't believe 1-that a stud as hot as Sagan wants to have sex with me , and 2- I cant believe I let him do this when I barely know him." As for Sagan, he is in love like that. He tells Valera not to cheapen what they have found together by bringing up the 2 previously noted statements. Please,if this is erotica, please market it as such. By the way, the second story about Guin and Malaya,has more storyline and the sex advances the story a little more. It all comes together rather hurridly in part 3,where we find out the identity of Acadian, who is as evil as they come. While I like a sexy story , this was ay too much for me. I actualy found myself skipping the sex to try and get to the story. Not good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sagan's story,decent.Malaya's story,engrossing., March 3, 2010
This review is from: Pleasure: The Shadowdwellers (Kindle Edition)
I found this book fairly slow to get into so you can imagine how surprised I was to find that after the first 7 chapters it ended and transitioned into a totally different book/story.Sagan's story felt like the author was trying to force the relationship before I as a reader was ready to accept it.I found it unbelievable that they could meet,spend a week together and then want to spend the rest of their lives together,all in a short 7 chapters.To my view there was very little character development other then a brief history of Valera's background and what little was known of Sagan's past.If these were two seperate novels I would have given Sagan's story 2 stars if this was the story in it's entirety.

Malaya's story on the other hand was well written and very engrossing.From the first chapter I couldn't put it down.I believe part of this is due to the fact that both Malaya and Guin were introduced at the start of the series and you slowly watched the progression of their relationship throughout the series.Since their relationship slowly unfolded throughout the series I felt like I was invested in the story and that it was playing out to it's natural conclusion.The story had a great plot and strong characters.

Since I had to rate this book in it's entirety I gave it only 3 stars because of Sagan's portion but Malaya's story was a solid 4 stars.Like many other reviewers said,this book would have been much better as two seperate novels.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed and Underdeveloped, October 5, 2009
My biggest disappointment with the Shadowdweller series is that, unlike the marketing of the series as a "continuation" of the Nightwalker series, it so far hasn't done anything but randomly mention the new alliances, Ruth, the necromancers, and the full-scale war out there in the Nightwalker world. This book did a bit more to connect the series and for that I was grateful.

Pleasure was billed as "double your pleasure" because it had two stories: Sagan/Valera and Malaya/Guin. I felt it would've done better as one but understand (by the end) why Sagan's story was necessary. Sagan has been a celibate priest since his Handmaiden died decades in the past. At the end of the last book, Sagan had been kidnapped and poisoned by Acadian's henchman. For reasons unknown, these henchmen end up at Valera's cabin where Valera uses Witchy mojo and kill the henchmen, rescues Sagan, and thereby proving Bella (from Nightwalker series) correct that good magic exists. But instead of developing their story, Sagan and Valera end up in bed literally within hours and it's all conveniently explained as "magic" or "destiny". Their story was about 30 pages and then is dropped.

The Malaya/Guin story had all the hallmarks of a great story given Guin's 50-year obsession. And although Frank did a much better job of conveying emotions for these two (than she has for any other character in this series), the 30 pages devoted to Sagan/Valera showed in that Malaya/Guin went from 0 to 60 in a matter of pages too. Given 50 years of duty/politics/status/station separating them, you'd think it would've been harder for them to give in to what they were feeling let alone have Malaya recognize it, define it and dive into it. But their story was more believable in the end than Saga/Valera's but nothing compared to Magnus/Dae.

As for the non-romance, there was a lot of progress made (in theory). The Senate plot for marrying and hence controlling Malaya came to a satisfactory conclusion. Acadian was unmasked. The plot against Trace and Ashla now has some obstacles. And Valera's existence, as I mentioned before, ties us back to the main war and I hope we get more cross-overs with the prior series in the future. However, I am now wondering if Acadian was really the puppet master or if she was merely the puppet of an even more expert manipulator.

In short, the political intrigue was frankly the best part of this book. The romance was rushed, unimaginative, and in part, unbelievable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from a great author!, September 14, 2009
I so love Jacquelyn Frank's Shadowdweller series. She keeps making them better and better with each one she writes! The first part of this book features the story of Sagan. It was a romantic tale that even though it was short, it came full circle at the end of the second story. It was the story of Sagan finding his new love, who happens to be a witch. In the Nightwalker world, witches are a big no-no. They believe them all to be bad. But Sagan finds that Valera is not a bad witch and falls in love with her. Then he must convince his people that she is good and is willing to help in the fight against evil. I was disappointed in it being a short story intsead of a whole book between them because their story was captivating.

The second half of the book focused on the princess Malaya and her protector Guin. If you have read the other books in this series, you saw this romance coming! You couldn't help but cheer for Guin. He was noble and protective of Malaya and you just knew that he would be her perfect match. I loved how this story unfolded and included the characters from the previous Shadowdweller books. It was nice to see them all come together. Hopefully if there is another book in this series we can see Tristan find his perfect match!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, November 21, 2009
I have read this entire series (Nightwalker and Shadowdweller) and this book was such a disappointment! I got the distinct impression that the author had no desire to finish the series (the villain was killed & no new one given and neither Amazon nor the authors website gives any information on another book in the series but touts a completely new series and world of books starting up soon) and crammed the last two story lines into one book. She failed to give each of them the attention they deserved: the first story was too short, rushed, and failed to wrap up all open ties and the second story was also rushed and the ending occurred too quickly, especially with a build up taking two books for the villain. I hope she eventually comes back to this series/world with the attention it deserves and she showed in the previous seven books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disapointment!, August 30, 2009
I have been a big fan of this author from the first, have every book in this series. This will be my last. The tone was so radically different from the previous books that it feels like a different writer. I agree with a previous reviewer that the sex scenes in this book became the point, rather than developing the relationships between the characters, who were poorly developed. I couldn't bring myself to care about them, which is the kiss of death for me with a book. Maybe trying to tell 2 stories at once gave neither story the space it needed. So many missed opportunities for the book to come alive. It didn't.What a mess. I slogged through it, and will move on. Too bad.Her previous books are some of my favorites, though. If this is your first Frank book, don't judge by this one, the others are really good.

Pleasure: The Shadowdwellers