5.0 out of 5 stars great product
Published on December 27, 2008 by nifty

3.0 out of 5 stars OK if you get it on sale.
Published on January 10, 2009 by Bron

3.0 out of 5 stars OK if you get it on sale., January 10, 2009
This review is from: Plenio VXA-2100 7-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Electronics)
The main draw of this unit is that 7 inch screen. It's big and easy to read, but it's only 234x480 resolution. The low resolution makes things a bit grainy. Still, at the $100 price it's available at when on sale, that's still a bargain since it can be put to many uses in addition to the GPS functionality. You can watch videos, use as a screen for a back-up camera, and so on. It also plays MP3's.

The GPS functionality is very basic, but works as advertised. Please note that this unit (2100) has an external GPS sensor on a short cable together with a metal plate and adhesive, not a flip-up antenna like most units. Not a big deal as long as you expect it. (In fact, it could be an advantage for some people, depending on where you mount the unit.)

The screen is big and fairly bright. As an everyday GPS I think it works pretty well, though it has a pretty limited feature set compared with other popular units. A lot of people never use all those extra features and getting a 7 inch screen for $100 is definitely a good deal.

This unit does NOT have an internal battery (that big screen needs a lot of juice), so it can only be used in the car using the auto power adapter (included). However, you can use it in your home with an AC->DC power adapter. It takes 12V 1A positive tip, I happened to have a 12V 3A +tip power unit for a Plextor DVD drive laying around and that worked fine. You can also buy adapters for $10-20 online or at places like Radio Shack. Just make sure you get the right plug size with a positive tip.

Playing around with it indoors by a window it took a few minutes to find the satellites the first time, but after that it would usually get a fix within 20-30 seconds. 4 sats seems to be enough for this unit. Anyway, that's pretty good. Being able to use it indoors is helpful while you are learning how it operates. You can download the manual online and I would recommend doing that before purchase to get an idea of the feature set.

I have not had time to test the routing accuracy yet, I will try to return and update this review when I do. But suffice to say that for $100, a 7 inch active map display alone is pretty nice when traveling. I also did not test the FM transmitter, but I will do so and update the review. If the FM transmitter works well, that might add 1/2 star alone as that's a pretty nifty feature.

I give it 3 stars (average) based on low resolution of display, only basic GPS features, lack of customizations for view and zoom (it has only a few of the most basic), and doubtful upgrade options (that is, you're probably stuck with the maps as they come with the unit forever), and no AC adapter supplied with unit. Still at $99 it is a good value as most 7" units are way more expensive.

(If you are a gadget geek like me, consider it 4 stars as you can hack this unit and install other maps and routing software with a little work. However, most people buying this will never bother with that.)

Video playback: I found that the unit sometimes struggled with video at higher resolutions and frame rates. Convert your videos using something like ArcSoft Media Converter (widely used for portable media players) and keep the resolution low (e.g. 320x240) and the frame rate at 15-24 fps and you should be OK. Oh, and specify mp3 audio as it does not seem to support anything else. I did not explore this extensively, but I did confirm that it worked. The videos looked surprising good (given my low expectations). Definitely not top quality, but certainly watchable.

Image viewer: It works, but low resolution screen, so don't expect too much.

MP3 Player: Basic, but worked well enough.

Notes:

Hackers will know this device can be toyed with quite a bit. Here are some specs:

OS: MS WINDOWS CE.NET 4.2

CPU: ARM9 Core

RAM: 64M Bytes

FLASH Mem: 64M Bytes

DISPLAY: 7 inch TFT LCD (Touch Screen)

Takes standard SD cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, December 27, 2008
After reading the setup instructions, I went out to the car and had it plugged in and ready to go in about three minutes. I turned it on and it found the satellite in seconds. It is so intuitive to program that the manual isn't needed. I found the mall I was going to on the screen and it guided me there flawlessly. This is one very easy machine to use. Great map picture, easy voice instructions, so simple a caveman could use it. And, the seven inch screen is just right. Not too big, not too small. You can hook it up to the windshield and take it down very easily. No need to keep it in the vehicle. I really like this thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice GPS for entry level, January 19, 2009
This is my first GPS and I found it to be worth money spent. It has video, audio, games, aux support other than the main Navigation feature. Screen size is awesome. I loved it but the POI is not too exhaustive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, December 28, 2008
Got my GPS today and couldn't be happier. Works great, even out here in the middle of no where! Don't even need an operator's manual! Really couldn't ask for more for $99.00 shipped!

1.0 out of 5 stars No support, only worked for 6 months, August 12, 2009
I got this for my wife for X-mas and it was a really nice unit to start, but has some drawbacks. The screen size is nice and the satellite connection tended to sync quickly. The drawbacks were the lack of AC adapter (car charger only) and no battery which made it difficult to program in the house or even the garage. Six months later the unit stopped syncing and now loads for a few minutes, then reboots over and over.

To top it all off, the company website [...] where you are directed for support, has an expired domain. I just ordered a TomTom to replace it. From what I can tell, an extended warranty is a must for GPS.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO RESPONSE, June 10, 2009
My Plenio quit working and I returned to the DVS company along with the RMA request they sent me. I sent it registered mail so I know they received it. It has been several weeks and I have never heard a word back from them and all contact has failed. Be careful if your unit goes bad you might as well throw it away

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective product., February 21, 2009
Oliver7738 (Austin, TX. USA) - See all my reviews
After a period of use and turned off, the unit will turn on with Blue LED but the screen will be blank and unusable. The unit will only be functional after being disconnected from the power source and cooled off for at least 30 minutes. Have asked return it to the DVS company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected., January 12, 2009
I bought this for my wife and wish I would have bought 2 so I could have one too. She got me a diffent brand and it talks too much and is slow to reroute the Plenio does it instantly. Great GPS device for under $100 with a 7 in. screen can't beat it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!!, January 26, 2009
This GPS is amazing and a steal at the price I got it. It's got a large enough screen that I don't have to squint and it's so easy to use. I'm so glad I got this.

4.0 out of 5 stars great nav system, August 22, 2007
excellent product fast and very accurate very easy to use and with the huge screen you dont have to squint to see whats on the screen

Plenio VXA-2100 7-Inch Portable GPS Navigator