Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

• Plex
  • Customer Reviews

on June 25, 2012
Updated (7/3/2014)

First let me say that I've tried numerous apps to stream music and video. There was always an issue that made the apps less than stellar. Plex gives me 99% of what I want!

- Stream movies and videos to iPhone, Android tablets (HP Touchpad running CyanogenMod 9, Kindle Fire HD, HP Slate) and HTC One phone (devices that I have)
- Integrates with iTunes so that my 120GB music database can be played anywhere
(I have moved to Subsonic for music streaming. It does a much better job with music. Perhaps one day Plex will be there as well.)
- iTunes playlists on home PC are seen with Plex client so I can easily stream music while driving (no more Pandora, Spotify, etc.)
(Yeah, still works, but it's not reliable.)
- Plex client login allows you to see all of your libraries automatically, no matter what device you are using
- Plex app for Roku so that I can stream home videos, movies, music to TVs. You can take this little box with you on vacation, hook it to a TV, connect via integrated WiFi and have access to all of your multimedia just as if you were home as well as NetFlix and other apps.
(Just make sure that you are converting your files to something Roku likes. I tried the Amazon Fire TV and the video files that stream flawlessly under Roku were choppy with Amazon Fire TV and Plex.)
- Integrated database populates the metadata for music and movies instantly. No need to use a metadata manager.
- TV Show series look great and contain all of the info about each episode.
- The quality of the videos can be adjusted automatically or manually based on your connection speed so you can stream over 3G or slow WiFi connections.
- DLNA support in latest beta.
(This works but I see it as a last resort when you have a device (TV) that has apps but not Plex.)
- You can share your libraries with other Plex friends.
(I am using this more and more. You can have control over what your friends and kids can view. There is also a Plex Notify app that will send you a text whenever someone starts watching a video.)

- Kindle Fire performance is poor. You can make some changes to the Plex settings to improve quality. I got my son's to work pretty well. Search the Plex forum for "kindle fire" to get info on this.
(This is not an issue anymore, at least on the Fire HD and HDX.)
- No social network integration.
- You really need to be on a 192.168.x.x network for stuff to work correctly. This was an issue for me but I bit the bullet and moved everything over.
(I don't think this is an issue anymore.)
- Unsupported devices (like my HP Touchpad) may sometimes have playback issues but clearing the cache usually gets around it. Hey, it works so I am not really complaining.
- DLNA implementation is just OK. DLNA is a PITA anyway in my opinion.

This is all just off the top of my head. I'm sure most of the 1-star reviews are for the Kindle Fire performance. The Plex Windows Server is free. All you pay for are the client apps. You can have multiple Windows servers (I have 3 serving up different media types). Also, just got back from the Outer Banks in NC. Other than some dropouts along the coast (where cell service is questionable), there were no lost connections as I streamed music via Plex to my iPhone in the van with Bluetooth and that's a 6-hour drive. No more downloading music or managing playlists on multiple devices. Do it once on your PC and it is accessible with every Plex client. Can't beat it.

(I've now used Plex for over 2 years and it is awesome for movies and videos. Just not so much for music. No other app comes close.)

Hope this review helps. :-)
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2014
The Plex for Android is very nice application and it worked on my Android Nexus 5 device as expected.
But i am disappointed to find out that i had bought a paid app which is at least 2 version older than the one published on Google play store.
At least for paid app it is expected that their latest edition are available for sale on App store and not the old version.
I regularly check for update for the application after i purchased it, but there seems to be no plan to keep it updated with latest version on amazon app store.
Plex, Inc kindly update Plex for Android to the latest version on Amazon App store.
Is there any provision where i can ask for rebate and return my order for paid application on Amazon App Store?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2014
- It works

- It is a bit of a usability nightmare if you have a large collection. I'm not sure when it happened but at some point over the last 6-7 years it was decided movie posters and tiles were the most efficient way of navigating a list of information (I blame Netflix and Windows). Please, please, add a list view (no thumbnails). Sure, movie posters look cool...but the fire stick cannot keep up with the demand of loading 100's of movie posters and I'm stuck with a mess to navigate through. The image included in my review is how the screen looks right now. It has just stopped loading images all together, may be out of memory? :/
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2014
This app hasn't been updated in a while, very old version. It's not being updated regularly, and it doesn't work well. The video freezes, it doesn't play properly, it doesn't support streaming HLS (like the Roku does) and Roku seems to do a much better job of playing streaming video. The Amazon Fire TV is probably better piece of hardware, but it's pure crap when it comes to playing video with Plex. The Plex App is terrible for the Amazon FireTV (has too many bugs, and isn't being updated regularly, this is mostly to blame on Amazon because it takes so long for the updated versions to get through Amazon's app process). The bug fixes are very slow (almost non-existent) for Amazon Fire TV, and it seems to really lag behind with very old versions of App software, and very buggy versions. Bug fixes never seem to get pushed to Amazon FireTV, and it just work well. I've been waiting for fixes for quite some time, to fix/stop the choppy video, and the constant "spinning wheel" as movies seem to stop mid-video, or pause. The videos work perfectly on my two other Roku's, but they just don't play well on either of my three Amazon FireTV's. I'm ready to give up on the Amazon FireTV. The Plex app just doesn't work well, and doesn't support streaming HLS content (like the Roku) and it seems to lock up frequently (after about 1-2 hours of watching videos, it gets warm/hot and seems to lock up or not function well). I've had to unplug the power on my Amazon FireTV sometimes 5-6 times per evening, just to watch 2-4 hours of shows/movies because it always locks up, and it often takes a power plug pull just to get it to reboot and the Plex App for Amazon FireTV is really buggy. There is no way to play shows (one episode after another episode automatically) like on the Roku, and many/most of the great/cool features found on the Roku version are not available on the Amazon FireTV version. It seems that the Amazon FireTV version was "rushed" and it's not a finished/polished product. It's just a very early "beta" version that has lots of bugs in it, has lots of stability problems, and just doesn't work well compared to other versions of the Plex App software. I would skip buying an Amazon Fire TV, and just buy a Roku for at least another year or two until Plex and Amazon work out all the bugs with Plex on the Amazon Fire TV. It's just too buggy, and it's not worth the $4.99 price for an App that doesn't work/function well, and causes the Amazon Fire TV to just lock up, or have a spinning loading wheel, or not respond. You can't fast forward or rewind a video, because it just locks up the video and spins (loading wheel spins) and the video never resumes. Also you can't play a video, and then resume the video. If you ever click on "resume video" then it just spins the wheel and loads forever and never plays. Video resumes are broken on the Amazon FireTV version of the Plex App. I wish the Plex developers would spend another couple of hundred hours working on the Amazon FireTV Plex version of the app, because I really had hoped that it would be a great App, and hoped that the Amazon Fire TV would be quicker/faster/better than my Roku, and I'm greatly disappointed in the Plex App for Amazon FireTV. It's a very buggy and terrible app, missing a lot of the most common/basic features that are available on the Roku, but not available in the Amazon FireTV app (like the ability to pause, rewind, fast forward, and stream/play HLS video from the Plex Media Server). The video playback is very laggy, it freezes, and there is no possibility of pausing, fast forwarding, rewinding or resuming movies/shows while using the Amazon FireTV version of Plex App.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2013
The Plex app was advertised as having just been updated to support hosting files from Android at the time I bought it. Turns out, they want you to pay monthly fees just to enjoy the advertised functionality. Even paying customers, however, are treated to some of the worst customer service ever. If I'm spending sixty+ dollars a year for software and have an issue, I want something more than a public forum where a reasonable question is likely to elicit many "use the search" troll responses instead of answers. Seriously, before purchasing check to see if there is any way whatsoever for customers to contact a bona fide Plex employee... no emails, postal addresses or phone numbers seem to be available. That is usually indicative of a product, and this is no exception.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2015
Terrible, terrible, terrible... I paid for this thing once as a "one time purchase" and now they want another "one time purchase" I am calling Amazon back in the morning and getting a refund, or Discover shortly thereafter and reporting this as a fraudulent charge. This thing is not worth the wear and tear that the keyboard(s) endured to have it developed. Aside from some creative form of data loss, I cannot envision any type of architecture where you lose track of the fact that an Amazon user has already paid you. If you've worked on this and you dare call yourself a developer ... please stop.. you're shaming the rest of us.

Edit: Not changing the rating. However, here's the workaround...

If you to to Home > Settings and then Manage Applications. Find the app in that list. Reset its data, clear cache and force stop it. Not sure which of those three things did the trick but it has now reset itself... It would seem the auth token is cached within the app. If that creatively kills itself it sees a need to re-auth, but it's not smart enough to check if it needs to hit Amazon for a re-auth... an attempt to re-purchase simply states you already own the app.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2015
I bought this app and now they want to charge another $5.00 to use it with a plex server. How the hell else would you use this???? This is extremely deceptive and borderline theft. They think this is the way to get me to pay $300 for a lifetime subscription??? I'm done with you Plex until they reverse this garbage decision. To clarify, if you use this with Fire TV and aren't a subscriber, they want a 1 time 4.99 activation fee, which doesn't make sense because if you are a subscriber you don't have to pay for the apps... I'm hoping this is a programming error and I will revise my review if fixed.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2015
I am trying to use this with the Fire TV. I have purchased the Plex app on both the Play store and the Amazon app store. But even after uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my Fire TV, the program still asks for another $4.99 to be activated. If I paid for it on the Amazon app store, I should not have to pay again. What's the deal? So for now, this app is useless and was a complete waste of money.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2015
Would be 0 stars if that was possible. I payed 500 coins ($5) to use the Plex app on my fire stick however after a day of using it the Plex app wants me to pay another 500 coins to activate the app. The app states that it is a ONE TIME purchase however it won't let me watch my movies anymore unless I pay another 500 coins.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2014
I couldn't be more angry with how Plex has handled the Amazon version of the app. Fire TV and Kindle is crippled as a reliable platform due to the lack of updates. I can't watch a single movie or TV show without the app pausing or locking up. I find myself regretting this decision as I continue to watch Plex release updates for Android on Google play and continuously ignore the Amazon Marketplace which Kindle/ Fire TV depends on. Plex should understand that I and others are only plex pass members because of the Kindle and Fire TV! Stop ignoring us Plex!

Now Chromcast has stopped working too.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse