Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now Learn more

on August 22, 2012
I'm sure this works fine for many 9-pin serial devices, but it wouldn't work with my Altec Digitizer Tablet. A guy that works with digitizers all the time told me that Keyspan is the only brand he's found that consistently works with all 9-pin serial devices. So I ordered the Keyspan model USA-19HS from Amazon and it did indeed work perfectly right off the bat. Yes, the Keyspan adapter was a few dollars more, but it will work with devices that this one will not. If you happen to have one of those devices, it can save you hours of frustration.
on January 5, 2011
I just wanted to state that this is a perfect USB to Serial Converter for use with the Linux OS. I had been looking for a USB/SerialConv and noticed that this one, and this is key, has the Prolific PL2303HX Chipset. Which, for most newer Kernels, is plug and play. I would have liked to seen a review like this when I was checking the item out but was pretty sure on the chipset. So I thought I'd give a review in case other Linux users are wondering. Anyhow, I took it out of the box, plugged it in, and had a ttyUSB* device show up in # dmesg. I didn't use the CD at all. The CD is for winDoze users. Worked great with Novell SuSe and Debian. Price? Just right! Ok folks, have fun...
55 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2011
If you are an IT professional looking for a USB-to-RS-232 Console adapter, look no further. The Prolific PL2302HX Chipset integrated into this adapter is the heart of what makes it work properly. I have tried numerous other USB adapters with different chipsets and the PL2303HX produced the most consistent and accurate serial data transfers. I ran tests using a legacy laptop running Windows XP and a standard DB9 serial port against a new Windows 7 x64 Laptop with the Plugable USB adapter and performed data captures and transfers with a Cisco router. I did encounter a few problems when performing large file transfers, but the same problems were also encountered using the legacy serial port. Unlike other USB adapters, I experienced no bit inversions, no lost connection, no console port lockups, and no baud-rate changes.

The Drivers provided by Plugable are also great. Drivers are available for Windows XP x32, Windows 7 x32, and Windows 7 x64, as well as MAC OSX. I did not have a Mac available for testing, but the drivers and adapter worked perfectly under the 3 windows environments tested. You will most likely need to change your COM Port assignment each time you reboot Windows or change to a different USB port, as windows will Dynamically assign a COM Port on a first-available basis. However, I have noticed that once I disabled the non-existent serial port in the BIOS of my machine, my COM assignment stayed the same as long as I used the same USB port. If all of this is a bit too technical for you, the provided PDF user manual offers step by step instructions with accurate screen shots for Windows Vista/7 and 2000/XP. Mac instructions are also included, but I have not verified them.
on January 9, 2011
Finally - an adapter that really works with windows 7 and 64 bit - and so reasonably priced - bought one from Staples that said it was windows 7 compatible for $40 and it didn't work - I use this to hook my laptop to my embroidery machine - so excited that its working!!
on December 26, 2010
This is a very good Serial-USB adapter. Not much than can be said about it except that it installs easily and works flawlessly. Installing the drivers one time from the provided DVD enabled every USB port in my machine to recognize the adapter immediately. This is important to me because I own another brand of Serial-USB adapter that requires the drivers to be separately installed on each USB port to be used, which is a real bother.

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone having a need for a Serial-USB adapter.
on February 16, 2011
I recently purchased a used handheld GPS (Garmin eTrex Legend). Great price but with the downside of requiring a serial connection. Garmin was offering a serial to USB cable for $89. Got this one instead and the unit works great! Thanks for helping keep my good deal a good deal.
on November 19, 2010
I needed a serial port to talk to the door security system at the fire department and the adapter we had before would not work on the new 64 bit Win7 system. After looking around, I found this adapter and it works fine as long as you install the latest driver ([...]) and reboot before you plug the cable in the first time.
on December 2, 2014
Serial ports are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Finding a computer that comes with serial ports nowadays, is next to imposable. They are called legacy devices and there is little support for them. I bought this plugable usb adapter to use with / on my old (Amateur Radio) terminal node controller - TNC. The serial connector on the back of the TNC is a DB-25 female. I couldn't find this rs-232 serial adapter (prolific chipset) with a DB25 male plug / connector. So I ordered a gender changer that has - a db9 female on one end and a db25 (pins) male on the other. The gender changer plugs right into the db-25 female on the back of the TNC and the two male screw lugs fit and tighten up on the back of the TNC. Then the Plugable serial adapter plugs onto the gender changer and the 2 screw pins tighten up to the gender changer. After I was done, it was all connected up with nice tight connections. My TNC is an old pk-232-mbx. There is probably other serial adapters out there that would work, but I have faith in the latest prolific chipset and Plugable devices.
As with others, I was attracted to this USB-to-Serial cable by the price and, with a few extra steps involved to get it up and running, it does the job.

The task at hand was to connect an older model DiabloSport Predator U7140 (Mustang GT) performance tuner's serial port to my W7 64-bit Compaq laptop's USB port, in order to update the software on the tuner. Have had this tuner for several years, and this is the first software update that has been attempted.

Following the provided directions which state that the Plugable cable's drivers are available through the Windows Update plug-n-play installation process, I connected it to an open USB port. Indeed, Windows did acknowledge that a new device had been connected, and the driver installation screen popped open... but installation failed. My laptop's Device Manager continued to show the cable under "Other Devices", either as "no driver installed" or as 'there is a problem with the device (Code 1)'.

After several attempts and reboots, I moved on to "Plan B" - using the CD supplied with the cable. Unfortunately, the laptop's CD drive would not read the CD, and I am still not sure why.

OK... on to "Plan C": I went to Plugable's website support page for this cable & driver (plugable.com/drivers/prolific), downloaded the installation and text-based Help files, and tried the install that way... even tried installing as Administrator but, after several install & reboot sessions, it still would not work. Was frustrated and fully uninstalled the program through the Control Panel, Programs' routine (then rebooted).

So far we are at a one star review, right?

Finally -- before giving up I tried just plugging the cable into the USB port one last time. Again, the Windows Update installation routine failed, but (let's call this "Plan D") I selected an option for Windows to Search the Internet... and that was all it took. The search routine ran for about 2 minutes and then the installation process automatically kicked off, resulting in a pop-up window stating that installation was successful. A quick look at Device Manager showed that the cable had now been assigned to COM7.

Go figure. Ummm... I highly recommend you try "Plan D" as your first avenue of trouble-shooting.

One issue remains though; this install and COM 7 assignment is not permanent on my machine. When I unplug the cable from the USB port, it disappears from Device Manager and I have to go back through "Plan D" all over again. Now that I know this it is a minor inconvenience.

In the end the cable worked, but it took a bit to get there.
on April 7, 2013
My application for this cable was to connect an X10 CM11A to a Raspberry Pi. It didn't work at all - characters were received but they were jumbled, out of order. I got this particular brand (Plugable) because Prolific (the chip maker) recommended them. Maybe it works for some applications, but not mine so I returned it for a refund. I ended up using the Raspberry Pi's GPIO port Tx and Rx lines with a TTL to RS232 inverter/level shifter - a little more work, but it actually works.