Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub with 25W Power Adapter and Two Ports with BC 1.2 Charging Support for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

The assortment of USB devices that we encounter today is amazing, and as the amount of them continues to grow, we often need to find additional way to connect them to our computers and notebooks.

The Plugable 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 4A Power Adapter is a solid solution to this issue, and because it's fully USB 2.0 compatible, it offers an excellent upgrade path for those who are not yet using the USB 3.0 standard. Many USB 3.0 cables are shorter to support faster 5Gbps specification, so this hub allows closer placement to your PC or Mac.

● Likes:

+ Charges some USB devices when computer power is off
+ Has 7 blue LEDs; illuminate only when USB port is active
+ Full OS support; Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, others

● Dislikes:

- Could use an on/off switch, but not critical
- Needs four stick-on rubber feet so it doesn't slide on desktop

● Setup:

This 7-port USB hub comes in a neatly partitioned cardboard box, and it's easy to open. Inside you'll find the Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub, which measures about 6¾" x 2¾" x 1" and weighs under 6½ ounces. It comes with a hefty USB 3.0 type B cable that's 40" long, and has a standard male USB plug on the end to plug into the computer, and the other end plugs into the hub itself. There's a 5V-4A power supply that resembles the type that we find with notebook computers plus a separate 2-prong power cord, and the two combined have a surprising reach of over 9-feet between the wall outlet and hub. There's an easy to follow one-page instruction sheet in English, with plenty of diagrams, and even includes a troubleshooting section.

● In Use:

The box had some simple two-step directions to plug the adapter into the power outlet and connect it to the hub, and then connect the hub to the computer, so I did. Started plugging various USB devices, and it was surprising how fast they were recognized. The seven USB 3.0 ports have a reasonable amount of space between them, and it even accommodated some of my older devices with fat plugs.

I tested this with a HP Pavilion mini-tower running Windows 7 (64-bit) with a pair of USB 3.0 ports on the back, with a Windows 7 PC notebook, and with a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.2, and it was instantly recognized by all three with no problems at all. The specs say that it will work with PCs that run Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and other OS that support standard USB, and from what I've seen, I have no doubts that it will. I uploaded some PDF files to my Kindle Fire and was surprised how fast the transfer went.

After the hub is plugged in and connected to the computer, there is a green LED that illuminates on the power supply indicate that the unit has power. Plug a USB device into any of the seven ports, and you'll see a blue LED light up closest to that port, confirming that it's in use. My primary purpose for this hub was to make and keep reliable connections at all times with a Seagate Expansion 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive and a Seagate Expansion 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive, where data integrity is absolutely essential. I don't like to say that a product performed faultlessly, but in this case it did with both of these drives.

Have also hooked up a Samsung Printer with scanner, copier and fax; an Epson WorkForce DS-30 Document Scanner; and a variety of other USB devices. I've downloaded images from my digital cameras via USB cables, and tested it with all seven ports functioning at once. Not once has it protested or even hiccupped.

One caveat: this hub will not charge an iPad, a Kindle Fire or other non-standard charging devices. It just wasn't designed for that, so use your regular power adapter for those. That being said, I have transferred files from two computers to both my Kindle Fire and Kindle 2 using the appropriate USB cable connected to this Plugable USB 3.0 Hub, and it works fine with that.

Had expected good performance with this hub when it was hooked up to a dedicated USB 3.0 port as is found on the back of the HP Pavilion, and in that it didn't disappoint at all. The surprise came when it was hooked to the MacBook Pro and the Windows 7 notebook with their USB 2.0 ports, and in that the performance was excellent. I suspect that this has something to do with the two VIA VL811 4-port chipsets that drive the hub internally.

There is a difference when USB 3.0 cables are used as opposed to the older ones. The USB 3.0 cables usually have a blue insert as opposed to the older black insert in USB 2.0 cables, and they will have a "SS" symbol on the computer connector. These use more wires than other USB cables, making USB 3.0 cables a bit more robust than other USB cables. At 900mA, they can also deliver more power to an attached device.

● Summary:

This Plugable 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 4A Power Adapter is a real problem solver when it comes to connecting a multitude of USB devices and getting them to work well together. This hub has actually outperformed my expectations, and it's highly recommended to anyone needing to expand their USB accessibility, and even if your current computer is using USB 2.0 ports, it give you an excellent and reasonably priced future upgrade path. This one really lives up to the USB 3.0 SuperSpeed standards.

Note: This device was received from the manufacturer with the understanding that I would post an honest review. The opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.

10/21/2012
2121 comments|346 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2014
This item received October 6 2013. Stopped working Jan 19, 2014. If that's what you like about a product (hardly any life span) buy it.
At around $35 each that's only $100 a year. What a bargain. (That is, if your dumb enough to buy a second one.)

UPDATE After I wrote this review I discovered that one of the ports on this device had shorted out. When I separated the wires causing this, the product began working again, minus the damaged port. In the meantime, the company contacted me and offered to replace the device once I explained what I had found. They did this very quickly, and even thanked ME. So I think anyone who buys this can rest assured that should any problem occur, the company stands behind its products 100% and will bend over backwards to fix it.

I am not a techie but I will explain the product. First, you require a 3.0 USB port on your computer. Plug the hub into your computer and you now have (7) 3.0 ports for about $5 each. Just about any device which requires 2.0 or 3.0 will run on these ports without interfering with any other device. Also, contrary to a desktop it provides greater convenience for plugging and unplugging devices when not using them..

This hub is powered, meaning it must also be plugged into 110 AC. I have found that the advantage to that is it supplies a stronger power source than my computer. I have a device that will not run on a 6' cord between the device and computer, but it will run on the same six foot cord between the Plugable and the device. So all in all I vote for it. Because this is an update, Amazon is not letting me change the stars but I would give it 4.
88 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2012
I can only refer you to Mr. John Williamson's in-depth review as my testing results are similar, but using different equipment. My testing was not as detailed as his, yet the results are the same. If you want a reliable, esthetic, and a very robust 3.0/2.0 USB hub you need not look any further. Plugable devices are state of the art, and as good as it gets in what is being developed in this marketing arena. Buying this product will save you a lot of aggravation and from many directions. Plugable products are the new standard of excellence to equal or top by other manufacturers, and I do not believe Plugable will let that happen. I highly recommend this hub too. Their email support is very good, and can provide work arounds for device issues. However, it's inexcusable for a technical developer of products not to support a PDF database of specifications on their site for any of their products. They do have a great article called, "USB Power Primer" that's a must read. Directions how to link to it are given in the comments area of the following paragraph. (Amazon does not allow for other direct website address' in this review area. It would be removed.)

Some of you who may have concerns about hubs might enjoy reading the discussions between Mr. Anhnhat Tran and me as to why he originally gave his one star review, but then changed it to five stars . Towards the end of our discussions I give information about hubs, from Plugable, you might find interesting. See: "Was not designed for external USB hard drives," November 18, 2012, by: Anhnhat Tran (in the comment's area).
44 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2013
Well I was skeptical , with all the USB 3.0 standards and the 1+ year late belkin thunderbolt adapter ( presently only avaliable direct ).

But after I flashed to latest firmware all happy. ( had to borrow a friends USB 3.0 windows lappy ).

I now have a dozen USB 3.0 devices hanging of my mac, and super speedy.
( I am also using the 2xpluagble USB 3.0 displaylink adapters http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007L6NYAO/ and 2x apple thunderbolt displays, for extra displays )

Pros.
------
- Fast
- Power
- Compatibility

Cons.
-----
Re-flashing can only be done on windows.
review image
44 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2013
After read some reviews, I have concern about the stability of USB 3.0 hub.

I use it with my windows8 on ASUS UX31E and WD Passport 2T and 1T.

The portable hard disks dead after several minutes without operation.

Before I throw it back to the box, I think maybe the power saving option caused it. So I goto control panel and found the "USB selective suspend" option, and changed it to disabled.

After that every thing works fine, even after one hour I leave the laptop do nothing.

I just used used it about two weeks, I hope it can keep stable for a long time.
on September 3, 2013
Functionally, this is a good hub. The VL812 is one of the best, coming from the only company to currently have (as of this writing, anyway) a certified USB 3.0 KGH (Known-Good Hub). This may only mean something to you if you're into USB device certification. Anyway, the hub itself is pretty straight-forward. Internally, however, there are some things you may want to be aware of.

All of the through-hole parts are very light on solder. In fact, most of the through-hole mounts for the Type-A USB jacks are very anemic; the holes are not filled as they should be. Additionally, the differential pairs for all of the jacks are very light on solder, and although I didn't find any pins that were open, a few came very close (< .25mm). Most disturbing, however, is that I discovered that all 3 of the poly-fuses (F1, F2 and F3) had been replaced with 0-Ohm Resistors (direct shorts), removing any hope that poly-fuses would be available in-circuit to protect against any shorting that might occur on any given output. That means that you could potentially pull all 4 amps of power from the power supply through a single USB port, causing severe damage to the jack, the cable and whatever caused the short. This is particularly frustrating with this hub because even on the PCB, these parts are labeled as F1, F2 and F3, which means the manufacturer was just being cheap and decided to sacrifice safety for cost savings. I consider that offense alone worth 3 stars, if not more, especially after claiming this as a feature printed on the box. Poly-fuses acting as a safety devices serve a very valid purpose in this design, and getting rid of them to save 15 cents is lame, any way you cut it. The box states that the unit provides "USB overcurrent detection and protection", but this is very misleading since the 5V/4A power supply is now directly hard-wired to each of the 7 output ports, making that claim a lie (even if the controller detects a short or overcurrent condition, you can't cut the current to the affected port - all you can do is ASK the USB device to terminate the connection and hope that it stops). This is why poly-fuses are important safety devices. Very lame.

The Power Adapter is branded Plugable, Model SW-050400. The label claims a rating of 5V/4A. My testing showed that the supply can actually provide 6A with no significant jitter, and I was able to actually pull 7.15A before the supply shut down (hiccup, actually). So 5V/4A is a way-safe margin IF THIS WAS A USB 2.0 HUB. USB 2.0 rates a maximum of 500mA per port, times 7 ports = 3500mA (3.5A), however, this is a USB 3.0 hub, meaning each port has an enumerated max rating of 900mA per port, or 6300mA (6.3A) total. As a result, the included power supply is "technically" under-rated by the label, which claims a maximum of only 4 Amps. Again, however, my testing shows that the supply can reliably provide closer to 6 Amps without any apparent short-term issue, so you can probably load this hub to USB 3.0 maximum power spec without any problem. Just please keep in mind that the power supply included in your box may differ in performance from the one in my box. Also keep in mind that without Poly-Fuses in the output circuit, you could potentially pull 7 Amps of current through a single port, and that would most definitely cause catastrophic damage to the hub, the jack, the cable and possibly the attached peripheral as well. This also means that you could mistakenly plug-in an incorrect power supply into this hub (i.e. 12VDC), and the hub would do nothing to protect itself OR any of the attached devices - all of them would burn.

The electronics of the included 5V/4A power supply were "MEH", and although I wouldn't call it "high quality", nothing inside caused me to raise a red flag. As I mentioned earlier, the power supply will hiccup if overloaded (i.e., automatically reset and try to power-up if more current's being pulled than it can supply) at around 7 Amps.

Summary: Buyer beware.
1111 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2013
ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE:
I had never heard the name plugable when I purchased this product.
I just bought one of the several seemingly identical USB 3.0 7 port hubs available on Amazon at low prices.
I had some strange problems and would have returned it and given it a bad review, and then I met Jeff Everett from Plugable support.
Plugable Technologies sells products made somewhere in China that are the same as many other companies products,
But Pluggable supports its customers with US based literate intelligent and knowledgeable support personnel and customer freindly practices better than any company I have dealt with in the past 10 years.
Better than Dell, Better than Intel, Better than Microsoft, Better than Symantec, Better than HP, Really Really Good!
Plugable is now a Major Go-To Name Brand in my estimation. One I will look for and select for future purchases.

ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
PROS:
This USB 3.0 hub does everything it is supposed to do and does it all well.
I am using it to connect large fast HDDs, and Super Fast SSDs to a very powerful laptop computer.
I have seen transfer rates in excess of 250 MB/sec. between Solid State Drives, as fast as when the devices are plugged directly into my computer's USB 3.0 ports, limited by the device and file system speeds, not the hub.
It is compact and easy to use, will provide power for USB powered devices and work just as well with self powered USB 2 HDDs.

CON:
While the hub worked just fine, I had a strange problem when it was used.
My WiFi network connection would sputter and die!
At first I thought it was some weird sort of software driver interaction, but once we had ruled that out Jeff came up with the real reason.
EMI - It seems that there is a basic built in problem with the USB 3.0 spec. and all of the equipment such as hubs drives, etc. that use it, ElectroMagnetic Interference or RFI if you prefer.
USB 3.0 equipment can operate at such high speeds that it generates noise all over the 2.4 GHz band.
This band is where most WiFi operates as well as wireless mice and keyboards and some other computer accessories.

This problem was not unique to this particular hub design.
Upon investigating I found numerous reports of this sort of interference including a whitepaper from Intel.
In the course of this investigation Jeff sent me 2 different hubs to try out (at plugable's expense) and spent at least 10 hours working on my problem.

SOLUTION:
Using a USB 3.0 extension cable (supplied by Jeff) improved the WiFi, but made the hub run slower and less reliably.
A slightly different model (Plugable USB3-HUB7A USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 7 Port Hub in Brushed Aluminum) also shipped free by Jeff/plugable radiated less interference and was usable if kept away from the laptop at the limit of its 2.5 foot cable,
But the best solution was to add an inexpensive WiFi range extender WD My Net Wi-Fi Range Extender - universal dual-band wireless network range extender located half way between my WiFi router and my laptop.
This increased the WiFi signal strength at the laptop by 20 db so the USB 3.0 interference does not now affect it.

I am now completely happy with the setup. Everything works perfectly.
This could not have happened without the amazingly excellent support from Plugable.
Icing on the cake: Pluggable even sent me a merchandise return label so that they could pay for shipping all the extra parts back to them!
on July 6, 2013
Do not order this if you have a Mac. It does not have the latest firmware update and can not be updated from a Mac, only from a Windows Machine, and not from VMware or Parallels. It has manuf. known issues regarding devices that may not be recognized after your Mac sleeps. Shame on Amazon and on the Manuf for still shipping these items with out of date firmware that can not be upgraded by Mac users. They should have designated as Windows only devices.

While the manuf. offers to replace the items, why should a customer be forced to exchange a new item on day one.
1616 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2013
I have to say i am impressed with this USB 3.0 hub. I have it connected to my Macbook Pro and i use it for connecting variety of devices. I have a Western Digital 500GB USB 3.0 storage device connected to the hub for time machine backup and it backs up the data at lighting speed! i am also using it for charging my iPhone 4 & 5 and Kindle. The product description on Amazon says that this hub cannot be used as charging station. I read that after i purchased it. That was a deal breaker for me and i was going to return it i couldn't charge my phones with this hub. But to my surprise, i am able to charge all my devices even when my mac is turned off. This hub has all the functionalities that i need and everything works perfectly! this is a keeper!! :-)
review image
on November 18, 2012
I connected 3 external 3TB Seagate hard drives to this hub. Only 2 lights on the hub lighted up. I plugged the drive, which was not recognized by the hub, directly to the USB 3 port on the computer and the drive works fine.
After a few days, only 1 light turned on. 1 more external drive was not recognized by the hub. Either the hub is defective or it was not designed specifically to handle the high power demand of multiple external USB drives. I returned it to Amazon and tried a similar product of another brand.

Updated on 11/22/2012:
The manufacturer contacted me and offered to send me a replacement hub. I plugged 3 external USB drives ( Seagate 3 TB ) into the new hub and the 3 lights are stable until now (In the original hub, only 2 lights were on). I added SMB shared drives for those 3 drives and tried to access the shared drives from other computers in the same network. They can be accessed remotely. It could be that the original hub was a lemon. Since it is too early to say anything, I will keep monitoring the hub a few more weeks to see if it is stable. In the meantime, I will raise the rating for this hub as an appreciation for the excellent customer service from the manufacturer. In the future, I will be happy to purchase again from this manufacturer.

Original rating: 1 star.
New rating: 5 stars.
1111 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse