Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 28, 2013
Worked like a charm...installed instantly on an Ubuntu machine...connects quickly and never drops the signal. Good range, too. Get it.
66 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
I once got a MediaLink bluetooth adapter to work for a friend (the same one that currently has 850+ reviews on Amazon), but I really wasn't a fan of the Broadcom driver software, as it produced a BSOD on installation, and then took hours to get working. So when I decided to get a bluetooth adapter for myself, I went with this one instead. To my dismay, it appears to use the same Broadcom chipset and software as the MediaLink adapter.

However, this one was a LITTLE easier to get working than the MediaLink one, but only because I'd done it once before :)Rather than give you a play-by-play of all the troubleshooting I had to do in order to get this thing to work (Windows 7), I'll just give you a few pro-tips:

1. Skip the driver CD and go straight to the manufacturer's website and download the latest Broadcom driver. The current installation file is about 13MB, but when you run it, it downloads more stuff, and installs over 200MB of files to your hard drive. Why a f***ing bluetooth driver needs 200MB+ of files is beyond me.

2. Before doing the installation, go to device manager and see if you have any drivers for any other bluetooth adapters installed, especially if you have a laptop. If there is another bluetooth adapter already present, you could be in a world of hurt trying to install this one. You might have to completely disable the older one before this device will work.

3. If you install the drivers and reboot, and there's not a bluetooth icon in the system tray, check the device manager and see if this adapter is listed undder Bluetooth devices, and if it started. If it couldn't start correctly ('code 10'), and it says the drivers are up to date, see #2 above.

4. Once the drivers are installed and you have paired a device, if you're not sure how to connect to the device, right click on your connected device (under 'devices and printers') and go to Properties, then click the Services tab. A list of bluetooth services that the device supports should be shown. Select the ones you need and click OK. After that, when you right click on the device, you should see more options than were there before.

5. If you're trying to get audio streaming to work and you have a connection with a device but not audio, try to reboot both the PC and the device. This one took the longest for me to figure out :P lol

Anyway, hope this helps somebody. If the above instructions sound too complicated and your eyes glazed over while reading, I would stay far, far away from this device. It is definitely not for the faint of heart. On the other hand, you may get lucky and have it work on the first try. So the question you have to ask yourself is, 'Do I feel lucky?' Well .... do ya? :)

UPDATE: I got a very nice response from the company who makes this adapter. They pointed out a couple of things that I should probably mention here. First, they say that although the drivers on the CD are older than the ones on the website, they should be more than sufficient to run on Windows 7. If you have Windows 8, it'll probably work out of the box without needing the drivers, for most bluetooth tasks. (I haven't had a chance to test this yet.) Their website product page has a detailed comparison of the built-in drivers for Windows 8 and the Broadcom drivers. I can't post the link here though, because Amazon won't allow links in product reviews :P

Also, in regard to the part about possible conflicts with other bluetooth drivers, they say that'll probably happen with any other bluetooth adapter and not just theirs, and they're probably right. I just wasn't very happy about the fact that there wasn't any on-screen indication after I rebooted that something had gone wrong, after the adapter couldn't start. No error dialog or anything, and no BT app in the tray either. In truth, it was a work laptop, so didn't know that another adapter was even present. Thus, I had no idea what was wrong.

So far, I'm impressed with their support, but not so much with the drivers that the chipset requires. I suggested that they add some of this info I have provided to their product page in the FAQ section, and they said that was noted. I guess time will tell if they actually do it.
99 comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2013
So I plugged the unit into a Dell laptop running Windows 7. I went to the vendor's website and downloaded the software. Tried installing it, but ran into an issue where I was getting told it couldn't start the Windows BT stack. Tried restarting and running the installer as an admin, same issue.

I ended up searching on the issue online and found a suggestion to make sure the Windows Software Update was up to date. Opening the software update, there were no critical items, but a lot of optionals. And one of the optionals mentioned Broadcom drivers, so I had it update that and a few other things. Once I did that, the SW for the adapter successfully installed. I was able to pair up with another device just fine. So if you run into that, run software update, tell it to search for drivers again to make sure it looks (having the adapter already plugged in before searching), and then install anything that talks about Broadcom or Bluetooth.
on April 13, 2013
It works well. I bought this one because they tout Linux support in the product description. I bought it to use with bluetooth speakers for a laptop that didn't have built-in bluetooth. Overall, no complaints.
on May 26, 2014
I highly highly recommend taking the following steps in Windows in order to prevent the adapter from randomly not working, especially after letting your computer sit for a few minutes:

1. Go to the start menu, type Device Manager in the search box.
2. Pull Device Manager up, and scroll down until you see "Universal Serial Bus controllers"
3. Look for any and all items that say "Hub" at the end of the name. If your computer has a lot of USB ports, there could be quite a few.
4. Either double-click, or right click and select "Properties" on every one of them. At the top right, navigate to the Power Management tab. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
5. Click ok. Close Device Manager.
6. Unplug and replug-in the adapter if you haven't already, in order for the computer to detect the new settings.
7. Congratulations, your adapter will now work properly, even after taking breaks between use. If you really want to save power, you can troubleshoot and figure out a specific USB port that you can leave the adapter in at all times, and then leave power management on all other ports enabled.
These steps were confirmed as successful on Windows 7 64-bit

Reasons for 3 stars:
Driver installation requires over 200 MB of space for whatever reason.
It has a noticeable blue light when it is powered which may bother some people.
I found the range and line of sight to be too restrictive. This is the biggest con. I am in a small room and am at a 6 to 12 ft distance from the adapter, and if I don't use a cord to pull adapter to front of PC, the signal just doesn't work from back of the machine. In fact, it doesn't even work if I have the PC sideways. It basically has to be pointing directly to your receiving device, but in that case you have the thing flashing blue during use right in your face.

Update:
My original receiver and the replacement one sent to me no longer work with Windows 7.
on March 22, 2013
This thing is great. I plucked it from its package, inserted it into my USB port on my Asus laptop (Windows 7) and it automatically installed the driver and I was instantly able to connect to my bluetooth keyboard (Logitech). No problems whatsoever. The only problem I could foresee is misplacing the adapter as it is so tiny! I give it an A++++
on November 22, 2012
I had an older Bluetooth adapter that didn't quite work with Windows 8. I thought I'd try one of the newer Bluetooth 4 adapters so I chose this one. Once I plugged it in, Windows 8 loaded it's drivers and then I installed my Lenovo Bluetooth software I had for Windows 8. My pc can now communicate with all my Bluetooth peripherals, even my android phone! I'm now able to use my keyboard and mouse to control my phone when it's connected via Bluetooth!
on January 15, 2013
I bought this device to be able to communicate wirelessly with my LG800G cell phone. I does in fact work for that purpose. I didn't have quite as much access as I expected, mainly to the internal memory, but this is probably a limitation of the cell phone itself. No problem with the external memory (added SD memory). I would have rated the device at 4.5 stars in stead of 4 and only because I had a little difficulty with the install. I had to reboot my laptop to get it to recognize the device even though it was already working with other USB devices without a problem. I would still recommend this device for the value and support.
on September 2, 2015
Just upgraded my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 and my old CSR Bluetooth would not work. Bought this one, plugged it in and it worked straight away; did not need any drivers as Windows 10 has full support for this adapter built in.
I have a great Bluetooth headphones (Satechi Aluminum Bluetooth Wireless Headphones) that I wanted to use at my work computer so I would not distract my other co-workers. However my Windows 7 computer is not Bluetooth accessible. The Plugable Technologies allows any non Bluetooth accessible computer or laptop to have Bluetooth capabilities to use with Bluetooth headphones, mice, speakers, keyboards, etc.

I followed the instructions and since it is not plug and play as directed (Win 7), I had to install the files from the included installation CD. After the drive was installed I could not find a cute little icon or anything on my desktop showing my to activate the Bluetooth to put it in discovery mode. After several minutes of searching and looking at the instructions which did not state anything, I finally went to the Control Panel and figured things out on my own.

After going to "Control Panel", select "Hardware and Sound". From there to select "Manage Audio Devices" . In this file you are able to select the USB Bluetooth adapter as your default audio device. I later went back and dragged the "Manage Audio Devices" to my desktop to make a shortcut. This makes it easier to switch between my computer speakers and Bluetooth instead of going through so many steps.

My headphones paired easily with the Bluetooth adapter and does not drop the signal and has excellent range. The adapter is tiny. I just wished the instructions were just a little bit easier to more detailed.