5.0 out of 5 stars Crap Shoot - BUT service is excellant!
I ordered 2 of these. I plugged them into a USB 3.0 hub connected to my laptop. Using an HDMI cable I connected them to 2 24" AOC monitors. With Win7 it was easy enough to span my desktop across all three. Worked for 30 days, then I shutdown everything down for a 3-day weekend. Came back and one of the unit was dead and one day out of warranty.

**** UPDATE...
Published on September 4, 2012 by SC

2.0 out of 5 stars 9 months - broke twice!
It's really unfortunate that this item isn't made better. It works great.

HOWEVER, it's VERY prone to breaking. Mine broke twice. The first time I was able to talk to PLugable and get it replaced since it was in the 3 month returnable window. Now, at month 8, it broke AGAIN, and Plugable refuses to replace it for me. So, now I need to find an alternative...
Published 8 months ago by Jason

5.0 out of 5 stars Crap Shoot - BUT service is excellant!, September 4, 2012
This review is from: Plugable USB 3.0 to HDMI / DVI Video Graphics Adapter Card for Multiple Monitors up to 2560x1440 (HDMI) / 1920x1200 (DVI). DisplayLink DL-3500 Chipset - Supports Windows 8.1, 8, 7, and XP (Personal Computers)

**** UPDATE ****
Days after posting my review, the manufacturer contacted me and offered to replace the burned out unit free of charge, a few days later I received a new unit and it is working as advertise. Based on the service, I have upgrade my rating to excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, powers multiple displays, February 11, 2013
I am an IT manager supporting about 100 users. We give out a pretty nice laptop to every user plus a docking station and monitor. The onboard Intel HD graphics chipset on these laptops can drive two monitors, but not three.

One of my users wanted three monitors because he deals with large, complex spreadsheets. His request was for a new laptop. Well, with budget constraints I had to say no to that request. Fortunately I stumbled across this product. For MUCH less than the cost of a new laptop it promised to add a third display to keep my user happy.

Well naturally when the product arrived I wanted to test it out myself, and good thing too! Out of the box this device did not work. The connector was flaky so the slightest movement would disconnect the device. Also, the device driver would not load. I was about to return it as a dud when I decided to email tech support.

I got a nearly instantaneous response from tech support (located in Seattle, not abroad). After few emails back and forth and running a diagnostic program we found that this device was bad. They shipped me a new, tested device that same day.

Well now I can say that I am 100% satisfied. This gadget performs exactly as advertised on my windows 8 laptop. Installation was easy. When the unit is plugged into the USB slot Windows recognizes it and downloads the driver automatically. I also had to install the software from the web site. In a few minutes the third monitor was showing my desktop. I found that I could manage the multiple monitors either through the app in the system tray, or by using windows control panel.

Bottom line, for a small cost I have a very happy user, and in the process I found a company that stands behind their product with a well run and responsive tech support department.

A couple final things to mention....
- One reviewer said the USB connection was proprietary. That is incorrect. The connection to the device is USB 3.0 micro B plug, which is currently kinda rare but when USB 3.0 is fully implemented this plug will be the standard.
- Speaking of USB 3.0, nearly every computer sold in the last few years has a USB 2.0 slot. This device will work on USB 2.0, but will be slower.
- This device uses system resources for the display. It uses the computer's memory and CPU, which means that on a slower computer you might notice that the extra display slows the computer down even more than normal. I did not notice any performance issues rendering a large spreadsheet on a core i7 laptop with 8gb RAM.
- This device is NOT suitable for video playback or games. Video playback was choppy and I have no doubt that Call of Duty would would be unplayable. But spreadsheets, word docs, email, etc all will work fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and easy way to add a monitor to your existing computer!, August 21, 2012
Length:: 3:27 Mins

Did you ever need another monitor on your computer? I use three on one of mine for reviewing and research work. It used to be that you had to buy an expensive VGA card and hope that your power supply had enough power to use it properly. If your power supply was too small or had the wrong wiring power wiring for a new GPU then you had to buy and install a new one of those also. Then you had to install drivers, software and configure things like AMD Eyefinity Multi-Display. Now you can plug in an adapter that is powered by the USB port and add up to 6 monitors to your computer. (With six adapters) and not even open the computer case. The drivers were automatically installed on my Windows 7 computer.

This adapter adds a VGA monitor to your computer into an existing USB3.0 or USB 2.0 communications port. It can work at speeds of up to 5 Gbps on a USB 3.0 port and at 480 Mbps on a USB 2.0 port. Installation is fast and easy with minimal set up. I have included a video to show you how to use this adapter.

This device also works on high resolution screens up to 2049 by 1152 pixels. It is compatible with Windows operating systems at this time. It does not support MAC or Linux Operating Systems.

In my case I have three monitors all 23 inch diagonal and set to 1920 by 1080 screen resolution. I am using a USB3.0 port on my computer and it is running perfectly. The adapter will operate on a USB 2.0 port but with the slower speeds you may have some issues with some applications like high intensity graphics or videos. On USB 3.0 I had no issues at all.

It is a very good product and it works well. I had no issues installing it and even though my GPU card will handle three monitors on its own I will continue to use this card because it allows me to quickly change the monitor configurations and the cable that it comes with is easier to use and better made than the mini display-port cable I was using for the third monitor.

I give this product a 5 star rating and recommend it to you! Please watch my video and I hope it helps you. Also please look at my hints listed below.

If you are looking to add more to a laptop than another monitor I recommend that you take an look at the Plugable Docking Station shown in the attached link. Using the docking station you can tie in peripherals, printers, cable Ethernet, a monitor,cameras and audio in the same easy manner to a USB 3.0 port. Here is the link:

Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Docking Station for Windows PCs (DVI/VGA to 2048x1152, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 4 USB 2.0 Ports, 4A AC Power Adapter)

Display adapter Features:
* High speed USB 3.0 (5 Gbps) link from the PC to Video Monitor, will also work with USB 2.0 port at 480 Mbps.
* Uses VGA monitor for high resolution, mine is running at 1920 by 1080 pixels
* You can connect up to 6 VGA monitors to a computer but it will take 6 adapters.
* Fast and easy to install
* Powered by the USB port, no need for additional power source
* Does not support MAC at this time

Display adapter accessories:
* Display adapter
* Installation guide
* Software disk (I didn't even need it with Windows 7 64 Bit)
* USB connection cable for connection from your PC to the display adapter.

Installation Hints:
* Download the latest drivers from [...] or [...]
* You may have to reboot your computer to get the software to open the first time after installation.
* Make sure that you have the small video screen connected to the pipeline icon in the lower RH corner of your screen
* I used a USB 3.0 port on my computer, USB 2.0 will work but possibly not as well on some applications. I had no issues at all.

I received a sample of the product for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Device...Terrible cable, March 7, 2013
Device is great if you need to add an extra monitor and only have a usb port to do so. The only downside (and it's a big one) that I've seen so far is that the micro b USB cable that comes with it is constantly coming undone, which causes a loss of video. The slightest movement of the cable causes the cable to come loose. I work for a government entity and purchased 5 of these adapters as well as another model adapter from Pugable. So far, of the two packages that I have opened of this model, the cables have come loose far too often. Funny enough, the USB cable that came with the other model adapter that I purchased, fits fine in this adapter. There seems to be a 1 or 2mm difference between the usb connector on this device with that of the other model, which makes all the difference in how it fits in the adapter. So far the best fix was to purchase new USB cables, which cost about $7 off of Amazon but are worth it as they fit much more securely. I would have given this adapter 5 stars, but having to purchase a $7 cable for an item that costs around $60 should be unnecessary.

I am curious as to how the other 3 unopened adapters will fair when they are finally unpackaged. It is a shame that the cable had to be this products downfall, as we were potentially looking at purchasing a few dozen of these to connect dual monitors on macbook airs that we are migrating to.

--------------------------
Update 11-19-2013

I received the revised USB cable a while back, but just wanted to confirm that it did fit significantly better than the cable it replaced. My organization hasn't purchased these in a while, so I can't speak for their current quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plugable USB 3.0 to VGA for Windows 8, January 16, 2013
I bought a few days ago this adapter which was recommended directly by the support people from Plugable Technologies. After buying the adapter I received an email from them telling me to pre-install the software, which I did. Today I received the adapter, I just plugged in and it worked immediately and perfect. My computer is a Lenovo Yoga, which has no VGA port, so I am using the adapter for converting a USB 3.0 port into a VGA port. Now I have 3 screens at the same time with different contents in each one: 1- a Samsung LED 23" connected to the new VGA port, 2- a Samsung LED 23" connected to the HDMI port and 3- the laptop's screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on Windows 8, September 13, 2012
I am running Windows 8 RTM (final release from MSDN downloads), installed the device, and then loaded the drivers from the DisplayLink Site [...]. I think they will eventually be on Windows Update, but for now, just download from the vendor.

Plugged in the Plugable adapter, HDMI cable, went to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution and detected my 32 inch HDMI TV. Really this could not have been simpler. In under 5 minutes I had a 3rd monitor on my Lenovo X220.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for my second monitor, February 7, 2013
I wanted to have a second monitor because I do a lot of stuff that requires many windows to be open. I'm not doing anything with video, animation or major gaming, so I can't comment on how the card handles those more graphic-intensive tasks, but for what I'm doing it has been flawless since I got it a few days ago. I've been trying to put it to the test, and I am unable to tell any difference between things happening on my "main" monitor and those that happen on the one connected to this card. I basically couldn't be happier. Also, mine did not come with a proprietary cable like the other reviewer had---mine came with one of the new USB 3.0 cables. Just FYI, though, the "new" part of the cable only affects the part that goes into the device; the part that connects to the computer is the same for all USB cables (1 - 3). I don't even have USB 3.0 on my computer (all my ports are 2.0) but I got this one instead of the USB 2.0 version with the same resolution options because the price was identical and it looked like DisplayLink had made a few other improvements to the new chipset besides USB 3.0 (but I don't have the old card, so I have no idea if there is any real difference). This card works perfectly over USB 2.0.

4.0 out of 5 stars USB 2 speeds at best on my Mac, June 26, 2013
Rob D. (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
I'd expect better display performance with a USB 3 device. I've tried USB 2 (same driver in fact) and had the same laggy display on my MacBook Air (with USB 3 ports) as I did on my MacBook Pro (USB 2). I'd not recommend purchasing it and I wish I hadn't missed the return window.

******
Update 7/1/13
After posting this review, the company reached out to me and went well above and beyond what I am used to in order to help my diagnose my issue. The chipset works better with Windows than it does with Mac OS and this isn't something that can be helped by this company (3rd party chipset/driver). While I'm still not sold on the device, the customer service alone is worth giving it a try. I suspect a Windows user won't have the same slowness issues I do as I've seen the USB 2 version work flawlessly on a Windows box when compared to my Mac.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one works with Macbook Air 13" (New Model), June 12, 2013
Unlike others we tried- this VGA adapter actually works!

We did notice a bit of jerkiness compared to DisplayPort, but that is expected from any USB video adapter we have ever used, even USB3. This is a solid general-purpose video adapter that worked as soon as we installed the drivers. If you need to run two monitors from a MacBook Air- this is the adapter to get!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Windows 8 - Easiest Install Ever!, November 28, 2012
I bought a computer with an HDMI In but no HDMI Out so I thought I could not have a second monitor. I found this device by searching Amazon. Since I have two USB 3.0 ports, I decided to give this product a try. The CD that comes in the box has no software - it simply points to a website where you can download the latest drivers. Since I have Windows 8 and the driver was updated only 8 days earlier, this helped me very much.

After installing the driver, I plugged in the cables and it worked immediately. I tried viewing an HD video on the second monitor, and it worked as well as the main monitor did.

I am very happy!