5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS GREAT
Published on April 2, 2012 by DAVID M. SMITH

3.0 out of 5 stars Had a problem, but good customer support
I had the usual struggles installing such products, but when the dust settled, it was clear that one of channels did not work. I returned it and they cheerfully refunded my money without a hitch.

Published on August 6, 2012 by Steven Wilcox

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS GREAT, April 2, 2012
DAVID M. SMITH (GREAT NECK, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plugable USB 2.0 Switch for One-Button Swapping of USB Device/Hub Between Two Computers (Personal Computers)
I looked at reviews of many items designed to allow a device, such as a printer, to be shared by two computers. Almost all of the other products had problems, or potential problems. This product had only six reviews, which made me leery that there were so few, but they were all five star reviews. This device is so simple to set up - five minutes. No complicated instructions to read. No software to install. I used it to allow me to print from either my mac, or from a widows xp computer. It worked right away. Just a push of a button allows me to go from one computer to the other for printing. It's a dream product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mouse/keyboard switching solution, May 2, 2012
I use this to use a logitech wireless keyboard/mouse solution between two computers. There is a second or two delay after pressing the button but it doesn't feel too long. Mine is an old Logitech wireless solution, not the unifying kind, but it works well right out of the box. I have ordered a new Logitech keyboard and mouse with unifying received and I've read here that it works fine as well.

It comes with the two USB cables needed to connect to two computers. No need to buy more USB cables. Everything works well. Only downside, if I have to list something, would be the button must be pressed with some force. I wish that the button takes a lighter touch.

Update (3/18/14):
I had this for over a a year now and I wanted to add few things. The button is small and narrow and it takes some pressure to press the button. If you're switching back and forth frequently, it gets annoying. Also, frequently one channel will not recognize mouse/keyboard;I have to switch back and forth to make it work (usually once flip will do.) Since I purchased this, I've noticed that there are other choices (listed below). I haven't tried them yet but they have received good reviews. Both of these devices appear to have bigger buttons so at least that solves one of my complaints about Plugable switch. Caveat is they are a lot more expensive at $35 and $30 each.

SIIG SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Switch 2-to-1 Adapter (JU-SW0012-S1)
IOGEAR 2 x 4 USB 2.0 Peripheral Sharing Switch (GUS402)

Review on USB3.0 version (5/30/14):
Plug USB2 has been acting up a lot lately. One channel consistently works but the other channel is consistently flakey. It may work off and on, and has gotten worse over time. Since I had a good experience initially, I decided to give Plugable another chance by purchasing USB3 version.

USB3 version has two buttons (w/blue LEDs), one for each channel instead of one button in USB2 version. It is smaller. Each switch takes 4-5 seconds. It feels slower than USB2 version but so far it has been working consistently. As in the description, it comes with 2 USB3 cables. I have it connected to USB2 ports and it works fine. Button itself is wider than the USB2 version so it's not as hard on the fingertips. It's easier to operate. So far so good with the exception of 4-5 second delay but I am not aware of any other products with better performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome simple to use USB A/B Switch!, May 4, 2012
You would think that a USB A/B switch would be simple and straight forward right? Well I learned to do my research before buying anything online. I discovered that a lot of USB switches had KVM software components that were incompatible with some computers and required that software and/or drivers be loaded in order to get it to work. They also required extra keyboard key sequences to complete the switching process from one computer to another. This switch was advertised as "plug and play" with none of the above required.

Much to my delight, the switch worked as advertised. I had a PC with a USB attached printer that I needed to share with a laptop. For various reasons it was impracticable to connect the printer to a network or share it as a host based printer off the PC it was attached to. As soon as I installed the switch to the PC, laptop and printer, and switched the switch to the laptop, the laptop immediately recognized the printer as a new device and asked if I wanted to install it. After I installed it I was able to switch seamlessly between the 2 computers and print immediately with no 7 second lag time as noted by another reviewer. While in Windows 7 Devices and Printers on the PC, if the switch was switched to the laptop, the printer icon would show up but be greyed out. As soon as I pushed the button on the switch to go to the PC the printer icon would come to life and be available to print.

I am extremely happy with this product and the only recommendation I would make for improvement would be to make all the connections come out the back of the switch. This would make placing the switch on the desk where you can push the button much more esthetic. The way it is now you pretty much have to position the switch at an angle so that the cables don't come out the front and loop around taking up space on your desk, and it doesn't look as professional as it could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good and well priced, April 3, 2012
Norm Smith (South Florida) - See all my reviews
I've not had this item for a month yet, but so far I find it to be convenient and reliable. However, I do offer one caveat to readers of this review. Do not attempt to use this item with external USB hard drives and other power-hungry devices using a non-powered (passive) USB multi-port hub. Since this device only possesses a single USB port potential users will no doubt desire adding more device connection ports via a USB hub.

Be sure to use a good reliable 'powered' USB hub for port multiplication. I, myself had experienced external hard drive detection issues when I first attempted to use a non-powered hub and my first knee-jerk reaction was to blame this inexpensive device. I then disconnected and utilized a Cyber-Power externally powered USB hub that I had attached to an alternate workstation and the device then performed beautifully. Cyberpower CP-H420P USB Hub, 4-Port, USB 2.0, 480Mbps, 1.1/2.0 Compatible, PC/MAC PlugNPlay

This device is small, attractive and convenient. I am well pleased so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for some things, October 6, 2012
I initially bought this to control two computers, one running Windows XP x64 and the other running Windows 7 64bit, using a single keyboard and mouse. It didn't work that way. It seemed to perform just fine with the XP machine, and works with the Win7 machine when initially plugged in, but when switched to XP machine and back to the Win7 one, it doesn't recognize the mouse or keyboard. I did a little research, and it turns out Win7 likes to have pretty constant communication with some usb devices and if it doesn't, it gets upset. It does, however, seem to work well for switching my printer from one computer to the other. I'm not sure why it works with the printer and not the keyboard and mouse, but I expect it's something to do with the different ways the operating system communicates with the different devices.

And for the record, XP seemed to have no problems with the switching back and forth.

I've ordered a KVM switch which is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7, we shall see how that works.

Otherwise, this switch works well, as long as you use it for the right thing. Win7 seems to get offended when you take away some of its usb devices, so just be aware of that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Had a problem, but good customer support, August 6, 2012

Concerning the actual product, it has a small button and I like the two-button configuration of my SIIG USB3 switch better. Switching time was a little slower on this unit than the SIIG as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy as pie ... but one little drawback, August 2, 2012
This product is as easy as pie to set up and use. AND...it includes two USB cables that connect to each of your computers. For the price, it doesn't get any better (or easier) than this! WOW! And...it works great! Tap the button to select the computer that you are going to use with the device, and you're ready to go! Life is beautiful.

The only reason I'm giving this product four stars is because there's no way to set this device on your desk and make it look good. There are ports on both the front and the back of this device, which means there are cables coming out the front and the back. I was hoping to set this device on my desk so that it was within easy reach when I wanted to switch my USB laser printer between my PC and my Mac. However, as soon as I set it on my desk, I realized that the cable coming out of the front of it was going to be an eye sore. I had to find a place that is more "out of sight" and "out of reach" in order to keep my desk looking nice.

Still, it's worth the money. Would I recommend it to others? You bet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. I use mine with PC and PS3., July 3, 2012
I use mine like this- KB/M connected to the plugable 10 port hub connected to the Plugable switch then to the PS3 and the computer.

It works, i don't feel like there's lag or anything when moving the mouse or using the keyboard. the only thing that i noted is that it's not instant switch it takes a second or two to switch over with MY keyboard and mouse, but that might just be with my setup maybe not with yours(yours might be faster) no big deal.

UPDATE/EDIT: " It's not the switch that's causing a delay. The lag is due to the computer having to "rediscover" the suddenly (re)connected USB device. " -thanks for that info.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great customer support. They sent me a new unit and now I'm happy, December 10, 2012
I wrote a negative review initially after receiving a lemon. The company reached out to me via my review and sent me a replacement unit that seems to work just fine.

No complaints about the unit thus far, it's dead easy to setup and I have paired it with a 9 port powered USB hub so that I can have everything hooked up between my mac and my PC and easily switch back and forth.

I'm glad to see a company stand by it's product. There is a lesson to be learned from all of this, instead of immediately putting up a 1 star review give the company a shot to make it right, real people depend on these reviews to make a living and I shouldn't have shot first and asked questions later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Device!, October 13, 2012
LT73 (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
In my home office, I use two computers every day... I keep my laptop on my desk and my personal desktop underneath. I have a 23" monitor with two inputs. My work laptop connects to the VGA input of my monitor, and my desktop connects to the DVI. This allows me to use the input button on my monitor as a video switch. I thought about purchasing a KVM, but I didn't need the V (Video) as mentioned above. Lucky for me I stumbled upon the Plugable USB 2.0 switch while shopping Amazon (something I do more than I probably should, really). Anyway, this little device takes a single USB input and allows me to split (or more accurately, switch) the signal. When paired with the 'Amazon Basics USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub' I finally got this desktop properly organized.

Follow me here - It's relatively simple...
I plug my keyboard, mouse, printer and wireless headset into the 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub. The output of the 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub goes into the input of the Plugable USB 2.0 switch. I simply press the button on the splitter, and the LED goes red to indicate that all the above-mentioned devices are connected to my desktop. I press the button on the switch again, and the LED goes green to indicate that the above-mentioned devices are connected to my laptop.

In the two days I have had this setup, it's not failed me once. The lag after pressing the toggle button is 2-3 seconds. This is the time Windows takes to recognize the device and apply the proper drivers.

In summary... This is an excellent little device and gets a solid 5 stars!

Recommendations to Plugable - I'd like to have 4 inputs (or more) on the switch itself, at which point I could do away with the need for the 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub. I'd also make the toggle switch larger (as others have mentioned). The switch is tiny, and my gut tells me it's not going to last as long as I would like, though time will tell.