2,081 Reviews
 (1,605)

1,058 of 1,068 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: Excellent warranty service
I have been needing a USB hub for a very long time. So many of my devices use the USB ports that I have to constantly plug and unplug them. I needed a hub, but I was worried about them having enough juice to power everything. No need to worry. This Plugable USB hub can be plugged into an outlet, and I can have all the power I need. So far, so good.

This...
Published on January 22, 2011 by Noname

Published on May 4, 2011 by A. Zaman

1,058 of 1,068 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: Excellent warranty service, January 22, 2011
This review is from: Plugable USB 2.0 10-Port High Speed Hub with 12.5W Power Adapter and Two Flip-Up Ports (Terminus Technology FE1.1s & 2.1 Chipsets. Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux support. Full USB 1.1 backwards and USB 3.0 forwards compatibility) (Personal Computers)

This unit can also be powered exclusively by the computer's USB port, so that it can be used without being plugged in. If you don't have many devices demanding power through the USB connection, this is a nice option and makes the unit more portable.

There are six hubs in the front and four in the back (two of which swivel upwards). I no longer have trouble finding an available USB port. I can keep everything plugged in and they all work as expected. I am happy with this purchase.

____________________________

UPDATE: I've had this hub for a month and the ports on the front side suddenly died. I can still use the ports on the backside. I suspect it's static electricity, since I reached in to handle it and a powerful shock emanated from my finger. I've contacted the manufacturer and will update here with their response.

_____________________________

2ND UPDATE: Warranty service was nearly instantaneous. I emailed them on a weekend and did not expect a response. Not only did I get a response, but they shipped a replacement right away. Talk about service! My new unit is now up and running. I will update again, if necessary.

____________________________

3RD UPDATE: It's been six months since my initial review. My replacement hub is still working well. Plugable Technologies contacted me out of the blue just to check in with me on how things are going with my hub. Really and truly amazing customer service. For a product that initially gave me problems, I would not normally give five stars. I will make an exception in this case and will upgrade it today. The company obviously stands behind it's product and goes 110% out of its way to ensure satisfaction. I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB Hub with enough power to the ports; beautiful, November 3, 2010
I must say, I have two of these USB Hubs by Plugable. I liked the first one so much I got another.
I have been through 5 hubs this year trying to find one that will power my external hard drive and charge my iPhone. It doesn't sound like too much to ask. Well, I finally found what I was looking for in this USB hub.

First the Fit and Finish. Everything looks good on this hub. From the piano black finish to the tasteful, blue, glowing bar and sweet blue light coming out of the ports. It's just enough light to let you find the ports in the dark.

There are 8 fixed ports on this hub and two ports that swivel out. There are 6 fixed ports on one side and 4 ports on the other. The side with 4 has the two swivel ports. From the logo and text printed on the unit, the swivel side is the top and the 6 come out the bottom. I have turned mine vertical and the ports come out the sides. The swivel ports are SO HANDY! I like the fact they put all the ports on just two sides. I dislike the hubs that have ports on 4 sides. Two sides is handy, four is crazy because you have cables coming out of all sides. All the ports are usable on this hub.

I mounted one unit to the wall behind my laptop in my shop. Some 3M Scotch 4010 Heavy Duty Clear Mounting Tape worked well. The other unit is mounted, using the same tape, by my desktop computer in the house.3M Scotch 4010 Heavy Duty Clear Mounting Tape

All in all, I appreciate that this USB hub just works. If you need more power and more ports, this is it. I have been looking at USB hubs since they came out with USB 1. I know quality when I see it and I really like the quality of this USB hub.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent USB Hub, a couple of small nitpicks, February 8, 2011
This is a very useful USB hub. It can function either actively or passively powered. It has ten ports (six on the front, four on the back), more than most. Two of the back ports flip up (at up to a 90° angle) making it easier to plug in over-sized USB keys, etc.

The finish is a glossy black (which is sort of a negative as it shows dust and fingerprints easily) but it looks really nice if you keep it clean. It measures 6"W x 3"D x 3/4"H and has rubber feet to prevent it from slip-sliding around on your desk. There is a thin blue LED light which runs most of the width of the product; but, this light serves no useful purpose (other than showing the device is powered).

My major nitpick with the item is the distribution of the ports: I prefer it to be the reverse (four on the front, six on the back), because I have more than four USB devices I keep permanently plugged in and it would be more convenient to have these on the back where they are out of the way. But, this is a matter of preference.

Upon receipt, I tested it by plugging in three keys, three external hard drives, a keyboard, mouse, LCD display (which has four USB ports of its own), and a laser printer; I then initiated a long copy operation on each of the six attached storage devices. The hub got barely warm and I noticed no slowdown on the file transfer operations compared to plugging in these same devices into the USB ports on the PC.

I've also charged my Sony Walkman and my wife's Sansa Clip with it and they both charged in a similar time compared to plugged into the PC's USB ports.

So, it works well, looks good, and is reasonably priced (compared to the alternatives, some of which cost considerably more than the $29 I paid for the Plugable). If you need a USB hub, give this one serious consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, December 5, 2010
Works as described, have a few midi controllers, mouse, keyboard, external HD, and ipod plugged in, no problems at all. Looks nice, has a good weight too, feels solid.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Techy's Best Friend, February 3, 2011
As a computer engineer with many, many USB peripherals I could not be happier with this hub. This hub provides very easy access to 10 ports that can sit right there on your desk- no more getting up and searching for a free rear port (if your front ports are already full of course). It works very well without the power supply when devices connected to it are self powered (printers, external HDDs, etc), but don't expect to be able to run all of your USB powered devices (iPods for example) from this hub without it being plugged in to its own outlet. The glowing blue light on top is a very nice aesthetic which also illuminates the inside of the ports (except the two pivoting ports) providing for easy visibility in the dark. I highly recommend this hub.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says but..., April 25, 2011
Bottom line: you get 10 powered USB ports in one convenient package.

My only two minor complaints The supplied USB cable is a bit short, about 33". You may need to get a longer cable (mini-USB on one end, standard on the other) or an extension. The "feet" still leave you with a hub that wants to slide around my desk. There are no provisions for wall mounting. OK, that was three...

Finally, the listing says, "Has no special support for Apple extensions for charging iPad/iPod at higher rate." I'm not sure that that means and the Amazon listing suggests you visit the manufacturer's web site for more information. When you go there you see a few bullet points and a link for more information. When you click on that link you're sent back to the Amazon listing page. That said, it charges my iPhone4 just fine.

I also read in some other reviews

- Mention of a problem with this device when the PC is powered down
- An assertion or two that this device will supply power even if the connected PC is powered down (nice for recharging your iPod for example)
- Something from the manufacturer about correcting a "back-power" issue with the latest version of this hub

Maybe these are all related. All I know is I haven't seen any problems with disk drives or other connected devices when my PC is powered down. Also, this device DOES NOT supply power to the USB connected devices when the PC is powered down.

I got this hub because I ran out of ports on my Macally TRIHUB7 Mini 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub with AC Adapter (Black) and figured that more is better. That hub ran problem free for about a year and expect you won't go wrong choosing either of these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great...if its out of sight...OK, if you want to keep it on your desk., May 4, 2011
A. Zaman (State College, PA) - See all my reviews
First, let me say that even though my rating for it isn't that great, the product does work really well. Devices as all recognized quickly and transfer speeds for flash drives and external hard drives are good (for USB 2.0). Additionally, the USB ports provide enough power for multiple, USB-powered devices (i.e. external hard drives without their own power cable, USB fans, etc). Also, the space between USB ports is adequate, as I have not have had issues so far with plugging in various flash drives next to each other. If you are going to keep this HUB somewhere out of sight, then I would say it's a great buy. If you're going to keep it on your desk, then keep reading and I'll tell you what I didn't like about it.

My main issue with this hub, is the layout of it. The power cable and the USB cable for the device connect to the back of the device. Next to them, are two regular USB ports, as well as two vertically swiveling USB connections that are useful for something like a flash drive (I haven't figured out what other use the swivel feature may provide yet for another USB device). On the front of the drive there are six USB ports. Aside from USB flash drives and maybe wireless keyboard/mouse receivers...I feel that the majority of USB devices that people are going to use with these probably have cables attached to them. So with the front of the hub having six ports, and the two swivel ports being on the back of the drive...I think it's likely that most people will have a mess of wires coming out of the front of the hub if they want to use all the ports. If you want to keep the hub on your desk, this may not be the best solution. I think it may have been better if it was designed with the power and USB cable connected to the side of the hub. The six USB ports should have been in the back and can be used for more permanent fixtures (printer, webcam, USB hard drives, speakers, etc.). Then that would leave four ports on the front, including the two swivel ports...which should be enough to meet the easily swappable needs of most users. I use one for a wireless keyboard/mouse receiver that works best with a direct line of sight to my keyboard and mouse...three more USB ports is definitely enough for me (how many people really need to have six easily accessed USB ports and would want those six ports at the expense of cable clutter. Also, some may say that I should just reverse the hub; use the front as the back. The problem with that is I would still have at least the two cables for power and USB connection to the computer coming out of the front then.

I like my desk to be clean and organized. When my desk is messy, I feel like I just am not as productive. The layout of this USB hub is not conducive to keeping a clean, clutter-free desk... it just leads to messy cables in a highly visible area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect USB 2.0 10 Port Hub, November 27, 2010
William C. Staney "Bill Staney" (Kingwood, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
Product is slim, well designed and easy to use. Holds usb connections securely and provides sufficient power to usb devices. I use this with my 2011 macbook pro without issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, December 16, 2010
The Plugable hub does the job for which I purchased it. It takes up one USB 2.0 port on my computer and gives me 10 powered USB 2.0 ports. The price was reasonable and, I must say, I like the blue thin light down the middle of the hub which also lights the interior of unused ports. That makes the ports easier to see if you have the hub stored on a dark shelf under your desk and you need to plug in another device. I gave power supply 4 stars as I would have liked to have seen an on/off button included so as to turn the hub off without having to unplug the AC adapter cord from the unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Design Flaw, August 31, 2012
I've been using a CyberPower 7 port hub for a few years and out grew it. Based on the reviews I picked up this 10 port hub, it installed fine and powered my devices fine (peripherals for gaming TM warthog, USB display, rudder pedals); when I powered down I noticed the led on the keyboard was still on, and the LCD display on my fan/pump controller (Aquero5) was still on (this should not be happening). I turned the power-supply off on the PC and the lights still stayed on (the items in question are connected to the USB headers on the motherboard and the motherboards external header), when I pulled the power to the hub the lights/display turned off. What does this mean? The power supply for the USB hub is back feeding through the USB cable connecting the MB to the hub. If the hub has any electrical power issue it will propagate up to the hub with the potential to do some damage to the MB. If the manufacturer had opted to install a diode on their system (as other manufacturers do, their would be no issue. Bottom line I ordered a 28 port hub (Manhattan Mondohub) for a bit more money and am totally satisfied with it.
The power supply for the unit was also not thought out well, it suffers from the "covers the adjacent outlet" syndrome, the 7 port CyberPower unit and the MondoHub both don't suffer from this issue.
If you are in the market for a hub for a simpit skip this one and spend the money on something else.