5.0 out of 5 stars Buy 2!
Published 18 months ago by Heather W.

3.0 out of 5 stars Portable but not the greatest sound
I bought a pair of these and have been using them for about 2 weeks.

Pros:
* Very portable and convenient to move around

Cons:
* Sound quality
* Difficult to pair with another device

Published 13 months ago by R. Forbes

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy 2!, May 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
OVERALL these are fun, easy to set up, easy to use. Search Bluetooth on your computer or portable device to figure out how to detect them. It may sound obvious, but if you don't have Bluetooth they won't work wirelessly. (If you are specifically buying for a certain device, double check! Bluetooth is not automatic). If you are on a budget, one speaker should work well, but not as wonderfully well as two. Just sayin'.

SETUP:
Could not be easier. If you are low tech, no worries. The hardest part is setting up Bluetooth on the computer. The easy part is linking the speakers to each other.

APPEARANCE:
Cute, but nothing you're likely to fall in love with. Mine were yellow and were perky but not especially feminine or masculine.

CONVENIENT:
Lightweight. Easy to carry around. I could fit them in my purse (handbag). The buttons aren't hard to press but aren't protruding outward as to get knocked easily.

DURABILITY:
They are built solidly and unlike my wired speakers, you won't be worrying about the cords getting pulled.

SOUND:
These are not quite as rich of a sound as the deep bass sound bar with sub-woofer that we own, but the difference in sound versus my laptop or cell phone speakers is astronomical. Having two is a huge bonus. The sound can fill the room. I especially wanted two because I use sound therapy from hemi-sync or equisync and you need to have the sound on both ears.

I was given a complimentary set of these in exchange for a review, which is not swayed by Amazon or HMDX. I would probably do a little comparing if it were my own purchase, but would not be disappointed in the quality or value of these speakers. I work hard to make my reviews fair and honest. If this helped you in some way, please click "yes" below. I'd appreciate it!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!! and may I say "WOW!!!" again?!?! + Updates, May 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT UPDATES are at the very bottom of the review, including how to "Re-Pair with another device!" August 12, 2013 and December 17, 2013.
********************************************************************************************************

Normally, I enjoy creating tongue-in-cheek subject titles but the ONLY word I could come up with for this speaker is/was "WOW!!!"

Now, I'm addicted to Bluetooth Speakers. I own 5 of them, and this is the ONLY one I have through the Vine Program, which means I coughed up cold, hard cash for every one of them. Each is radically different from the others and I had 2 clear favourites: the Veho VSS-006-360BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker and the Bose® SoundLink® Bluetooth Mobile Speaker II - Nylon. I state "had" because THIS speaker now ranks up there with the very, very pricey Bose SoundLink speaker!!!!

Believing that most normal people are only going to own ONE Bluetooth speaker, I'll address all three that I adore and love, so YOU can make the wisest choice for your income. The Veho VSS-006-360BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker is my absolute favourite for traveling and "private" listening. The weight is SO slight, that I discovered to my dismay, that when used outdoors, one.stiff.breeze. can blow that puppy right off the table and into the shrubbery, never to be seen again if you didn't have the sound on! (LOL) However, if you fly quite a bit and weight is of extreme importance, this is a keeper! About the size of an old Kodak plastic film cannister, it's also great if you do NOT enjoy music cranked up at concert level and just want amplification of sound for streaming a video or Skype calling. At a $25 buck price point, it's exceedingly affordable and come with a very handy hard, clear plastic case to keep the USB cable and audio jack cord that comes with. Pairing is easy and simple. It is NOT for parties, it is more for private use, as heavy road traffic drowns it out.

With the Bose® SoundLink® Bluetooth Mobile Speaker II - Nylon, the price is SIX times higher than the Veho and FIVE times higher than this Jam Plus speaker. However, if you are REALLY into concert level listening, do NOT travel so weight is NOT an issue, than that speaker rocks! I used to use it outdoors to garden with, but at that price point, if you and the speaker are caught in a sudden sprinkle, it's a lot of money to screw with. Weight is hefty (like a Yellow Pages phone book) but sound is amazing! I now use it for dinner parties, outdoor cook-outs and boosting the sound to streaming action movies.

Now, to the speaker at hand. Amazon sent me the yellow colour; if I purchased one, it would have been the jolly purple colour. And, the Jam Plus is really advertized to pair up, creating stereo sound. This is NOT an important issue for me and frankly, I don't know when I'd want stereo sound. Our parties are small and intimate but if you had loud get-together's and wanted to really rock the house, then pairing would suit you. It came in a cute mock Jam Jar, with hard plastic shell and jam jar top. Pairing was one of the EASIEST of my Bluetooth speakers; so much so that when I paired it the second time, I didn't need to hit "Discover/Scan Device"...it paired in one second flat! That's a HUGE improvement over even my Bose speaker, which needs to be manually scanned each time it's used! Sound is THROUGH THE ROOF!!!, so much so that I recommend to everyone that orders one: use the manual volume button on the Jam Plus and TURN IT DOWN BEFORE YOU EVEN SYNC IT!!! I had the volume on HIGH on my Samsung tablet and the factory setting on the Jam Plus was also at HIGH, so the speaker actually physically JUMPED when it linked for the first time! I find that I like to use the actual speaker's volume controls vs. my multiple devices; it's physically easier rather than alway needing to wake up the laptop/device from Sleep Mode to control volume.

I ran the speaker through Classical/Country/Rock/Ambient, and the surround sound is clear, crisp, undistorted and just plain amazing! Had I only ever known about THIS speaker, I'd have to say that I'd buy this vs the Bose and save myself the $250 extra bucks for more music downloads. If weight is an issue, however, because you travel extensively, be aware: this speaker is a Chunky Monkey and weighs as much as a can of Progresso Soup. It is NO lightweight! But, only you can decide if that's a factor.

The power button is at the bottom of the unit; you depress it for 5 seconds and it *Beeps* when ON. I turn my Bluetooth device on first, and then the speaker, which linked instantly. Volume buttons are very easy to locate and use and really react well; as some of you may know, some volume buttons are so unresponsive you'd think you were pumping iron vs a volume button!

Aside from the jam jar protective covering, it also includes a microscopic Start Guide, a Quick Start Guide and a USB cable that's about 6" long. If you have old eyes like I do, find your reading glasses AND a hand lens to read the Start Guide...yes!, the print is THAT small! (LOL) Oddly, at double the price of the Veho speaker, they couldn't pony up to include an audio jack cable. What's up wid dat? Fortunately, I have several on hand but it would be nice to not need to Rob Peter to Link Paul. Also, with no mention whatsoever in ANY of the literature, you also get two odd black "things". Honestly, I have NO IDEA what they are for except to protect the unit when shipped to you. One cups the bottom of the speaker exactly, so I guess if you are worried about the very bottom of your speaker getting scratched or dirty, you could use it. The second black thing is slightly larger with a foam ring on it; perhaps if you crank the speaker at full it helps with distortion? Anyway, use them or not, for whatever purpose you can find.

Wrapping it up, I can't recommend highly enough this speaker! Weighty enough to not blow off any surface, loud enough to be heard a full 30 feet, awesome linking ability, nice colour choice, ability to create stereo sound with another unit, and an exceedingly affordable price. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to gift a dear friend this speaker, in the colour of their choice. Good Job, Jam Plus! Good Job!!!! :)

Updates for Jam Plus Speaker Use + Pairing with another Jam Plus: August 12, 2013 & December 17, 2013:

NOTE: I still stand by my LOVE of this speaker but an Important Update about this speaker only being able to be paired to ONE DEVICE AT A TIME, is below!!! First I discuss the twin pairing for "stereo" sound, then I discuss to to Un-pair and Re-pair with one.single.new.device.

August 12, 2013: Now, as to pairing TWO Jam Plus speakers for "stereo sound". Let's discuss "stereo", first. If you're old enough to remember Stereo Hi-Fi's from your childhood, you'll remember that one speaker emitted higher sounds and one emitted lower sounds. (sorry, that's as technical as I can get.) Bearing in mind that two Jam Plus speakers are just double the speakers, you don't get that individual Hi/Low, but, you get great sound spread over a much larger area, which I guess you can call stereo. After pairing them, I first tried the stereo feature IN the house and it was fabulous! Next, the harder test: outdoors on the deck. Placed 15 feet apart, it filled the back yard with sweet jazz music. I'm sold!!!

Exceedingly clear instructions come with the Jam Plus to create a stereo sound: Turn on your device's Bluetooth and it doesn't hurt if you have your music already playing. Also, the instructions didn't say this but I paired the new speaker to my device, then turned the speaker off to begin the automatic linking. 1) Underneath both speakers is a sliding lever that says L-Mono-R. On one speaker, you slide the lever to the Left; on the other speaker, slide the lever to the Right. 2) On the first speaker you activated, press and hold the ON button for 5 seconds until it makes it's "paired sound". Do the same thing with the other speaker. They should link automatically and when they do, a cool "steel drum" tone is emitted. 3) At that point, I went into my Bluetooth device, hit "pair" and both speakers were linked and automatically began playing music. This took less than 60 seconds to accomplish.

December 17, 2013: NOTE ABOUT PAIRING TO A SECONDARY DEVICE: I still love this speaker and it's sound but have found a "fatal flaw" after 7 months of use: the Jam Plus will NOT allow you to pair the speaker to more than ONE DEVICE AT A TIME! To a person who only plans to pair this speaker to their smartphone or tablet or e-reader, this won't be a problem. However, if you have several devices and want to use this speaker for ALL of them, you are completely out.of.luck.!!!

I discovered this serious "flaw" when I wanted to clear the three Jam Plus' from my Samsung Note 3 to clear up room to pair a printer and two new Bluetooth speakers. Since I had room on my Kindle HD to pair speakers, I tried for HOURS and HOURS to pair the speakers, to no avail! I made sure there were no other Bluetooth devices enabled, I turned speakers and the Kindle Off & On & Off & On, hit the RESET button under the Jam Plus with a paper clip and the positively REFUSED TO REPAIR!!!

Desperate to not toss my now $150 investment of owning 3 of these speakers into the recycling bin, I began reading the ONE STAR reviews on this speaker and found out that NO ONE can pair to more than one device at a time! This is unique to Jam Plus as all of my other 15 Bluetooth speakers will pair to 6 devices!

So, if you get a new smartphone or Kindle or want to use this speaker on anything else, you need to do the following: 1) Go into your Bluetooth settings that the speaker is paired to and hit "Disconnect and Unpair". This clears your device history. 2) Then, on the Jam Plus, hold down the POWER button simultaneously while holding down the Play/Pause button for FIVE SECONDS, this will unpair the Jam Plus from your device and allow it to repair with one.single.new.device. The "Jam Plus" insignia flashes a blue light, which means it is now cleared and ready to pair with a new device. 3) Turn off the Jam Plus speaker, again, by depressing the Start/Stop button on the base. 4) On the new device you want to pair this with, I do the following: already have your music playing on your device, say Pandora or TuneIn radio. Then, go into settings and activate your Bluetooth and make your device "discoverable" and "scan for new device." At that time, turn on the Jam Plus by pressing and holding the bottom button. Within 8-10 seconds, it should show up as "Jam Plus" in your "Bluetooth Listing". Touch the "Jam Plus" listing and it will "Pair and Connect". The music will be momentarily stopped, but once it pairs successfully, you'll instantly know as the music will begin to stream from your speaker.

Few people have the luxury of owning many Bluetooth speakers, so if you are considering spending $50 dollars on this speaker (which still rocks sound and battery life!), just be aware that once you pair to a device, you better be happy with that connection as it will NOT work with multiple devices!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply amazing, May 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Don't let the size fool you, this little speaker can really project! I already had the Jam Classic and really liked it, but I think this one sounds even more robust. I got the yellow one. It is very yellow, but kinda cool too. I'd LOVE to have a second Jam Plus to pair it with to experience the stereo sound.... I was already aware that my Jam classic would be unable to pair and work this way with it, so no surprises there, but I'd love to experience this thing in stereo, but even in mono, this sounds great. It is also very, very easy to pair with an iphone or an iPad. It was near instant. You just go to Settings on your device, push bluetooth on the speaker and wait for it to pair. It's that simple. The buttons for sound, bluetooth, and battery level are easily reached and accessible, but you can also use your ipad or iphone to control the sound as well. (or pause it, etc). On the bottom is the on/off and a switch that allows you to choose mono, left speaker or right, if you had 2 Jam Pluses to pair with.

First, this thing not only sounds great but is portable. It comes with a USB cord that charges it. I'm using my laptop to charge it, but Im guessing you can also plug it in to an outlet with a USB adapter. After is it fully charged (it has indicator lights to let you know) it says it can last 4 hours. I'm guessing that will hold true, because my Jam Classic lasts about that long when charged. As like the JAM classic, it comes in a little 'jar' that would be a great way to store and port it about so you don't have to worry about it. I'm planning on taking it on my next picnic with me, so I can enjoy some music.

Second, the sound quality, for such an inexpensive and tiny thing, is very good. Again, not perhaps like a system you'll spend hundreds (or more) on, but incredibly good for its portability, and size. I love the fact that I can take this with me, or set it in any room of the house and listen to my iphone or iPad or pandora or other apps. It is just a really fun, cool portable speaker. AWESOME!

5.0 out of 5 stars What I needed, July 13, 2013
This review is from: JAM Plus Portable Speaker (Grey) HX-P240GY (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I needed something portable and loud for work. This has fit the bill pretty well.

First, for those having problem pairing to multiple devices. Shut off bluetooth services on the initial device you connected then hold the play/pause button down until the blue light on the speaker begins to blink rapidly. You should be able to pair with the new device now. After the initial pairing you should just have to shut off bluetooth services on one then connect to another previously paired device. Once the speaker is connected with the device that you want you can turn bluetooth back on with the other device. This is a pretty common procedure for many bluetooth devices unfortunately. You would think they could do it in a more user friendly way.

Which leads me one of the only cons I have for this item. Poor documentation. The website doesn't offer anything extra that didn't come with the item already.

I read the reviews and knew that everyone says the amount of sound this thing can produce amazes them. I figured I wouldn't be amazed because I knew ahead of time due to the reviews that it would be loud for the size. It still amazed me. It really does fill the room. I drove around with the windows down at 45 mph and could still hear the words from a poorly recorded audiobook.

The sound quality is great for the size. It's clear which is really one of the more important things to me. It is pretty well balanced from low to high. If you're looking for overpowered bass, you won't find it here, or most likely from anything of this size.

The plastic container it comes in is nice if you plan on moving it around a lot. Mine gets thrown in my work bag and between vehicles a lot so I always keep it in the container to protect it. I'm not worried about it breaking, because it is durable, but it would definitely get scratched up without the case in my situation.

**Update**
I've had this for 8 months now and it's still working well. I dropped it on to concrete at least 4 times from a height of 5 feet and it still works fine. Definitely not as nice looking now because of this, but it still works. The battery has not degraded which has been the most surprising thing to me. I get about 3 hours out of it when listening to music which is how long it always lasted from the start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, easy to pair once you figure it out, May 30, 2013
J. W. (Arizona, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sound for this speaker is good for a speaker this size. Again, don't expect much bass from something this size. If you want to hear the canons on the 1812 overture, look elsewhere. It is big for travel (there are smaller expandable ones), but it does offer Bluetooth capabilities. This is a deal maker as no wires means easier to move your tablet, phone, or laptop around even as you are listening to music thru this speaker. Once you get started with Bluetooth speakers, you will not want to go back to wired speakers.

Now, on pairing. I was able to pair this with my Android phone. Trying to pair with any other device was impossible, even when I disconnected the device from my phone. The instructions were not much help. Here's the trick...hold down both the "play" and "fast forward" buttons until the status light blinks rapidly. After doing that, I had no problems pairing this with my laptop, iPhone, iPad, and Asus Memo (Android) tablet. You won't find this in the product documentation, but searching the web for other models of speakers from this vendor revealed the secret. It was frustrating until then, that's why I am deducting one star. Hopefully the manufacturer will rewrite their product manual and correct this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! here is a tip on changing devices, December 28, 2013
Love it!
When changing devices you can hold down he power and play button at the same time..it clears the last device connected.

5.0 out of 5 stars One sounds great, two are amazing, June 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The sound that comes from this little Jam Plus will have people looking around for a larger speaker. The sound is crisp and clear and it does a good job on both the treble and bass notes. If you have two of these speakers you can even pair them with each other for true stereo sound. I tested one initially which sounded great. When I added the second one it was nothing short of amazing. People who come into the house are looking for bigger speakers and can't believe the sound coming from these little guys. They pair simply to each other and make this cool musical sound when they do. It was simple to use the Bluetooth capability to pair with my iPhone and later on with my Kindle HD and my iTouch. You simply hold down the power button on the bottom of the Jam Plus for about 5 seconds to turn the speaker on. Once it's on, the button on the front with the Bluetooth symbol will start to blink quickly. Simply have your phone, tablet or other device search for Bluetooth devices until the "Jam" comes up in the list, click it, and it will be connected. You can control the music, playlists and volume on your phone or other mp3 device. You can also control the volume, pause and start/stop on the front panel of the Jam Plus.

TO CHANGE FROM ONE PAIRED DEVICE TO ANOTHER: Even if you turn off your iPhone or other device, it seems to stay paired and I couldn't find instructions to pair it with a different device. I finally figured out that you need to hold down the stop/pause button on the front of the jam until the Bluetooth indicator turns from blinking slowly to blinking fast (just a couple of seconds). That cancels the old connection and lets you connect the new device. I found this out after I had been playing music from my iPhone over the Jam speaker and wanted to try it with my Kindle Fire. Even after I turned the iPhone's Bluetooth off, I couldn't make the Jam appear in the Bluetooth menu of the Kindle. It couldn't find it until I held down that button for a few seconds.

10/27/13 - TO RE-PAIR WITH AN I TOUCH OR IPHONE - After recent ups updates we were having problems when trying to pair with our untouches, especially after it had been paired with another device. Here's what finally worked: Unpair with the previous device you were using in that device's settings. Go into the settings on the itouch or phone, and click on the Jam2 in the list of BlueTooth devices to get to the screen where you can "Forget this device". Click on that to eliminate the Jam from your list of available devices. Shut off the Bluetooth. Shut down the itouch. Restart and go to the settings again and to the Bluetooth settings. Hold down the "pause/play" button on the Jam speaker to put it into the pairing mode again. Turn Bluetooth settings back on in the itouch. Now it should search for available devices. When you see the Jam in the list, click to connect. This has been an issue only with Apple devices. It seemed to happen after the recent ios updates. My Kindle pairs and unpairs without any problem.

The battery on the Jam lasts for about 4 hours when you have it paired with a Bluetooth device and about 10 hours if you connect it with a 3.5mm audio jack cable like this: Cables Unlimited AUD-1100-06 6 feet 3.5 MM Male to Male Stereo Cable (not included). It does come with a microUSB to USB cable that is used to charge the unit. You can get about 30 feet away with the Bluetooth connection. The number of walls between your device and the Jam can make that a little less. I was able to connect my iTouch via the Bluetooth and hear the Jam Plus speaker loud and clear about 25 feet away, out on the patio behind the house. It's nice because the unit is small and I could carry it around outside. The sound remained crisp and clear and the volume remained the same without any breaking up of sound. Two thumbs up for a great little product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Portable but not the greatest sound, October 4, 2013
R. Forbes (Fishers, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of these and have been using them for about 2 weeks.

Pros:
* Very portable and convenient to move around

Cons:
* Sound quality
* Difficult to pair with another device

In regards to the sound quality; the speaker sounds raspy, almost like it's blown. Both speakers exhibit the same issue, I tried pairing with a second device; no luck. I even returned a set an got a new one; same result. Not all music sounds raspy, softer music get's raspy as the volume increases, rock/pop sounds raspy at any volume. Needless to say, I'm only keeping it for the portability as that is a benefit and it's probably the best speaker right now for that purpose.

In regards to the blue tooth; pairing an already paired speaker requires the following:

1. Turn the speaker off
2. Switch the speaker to "R"
3. Turn on
4. Wait for rapid blinking on the blue tooth light
5. Turn off
6. Switch the speaker to "Mono"
7. Turn on
8. Device should be ready to pair with another device.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but with a catch, June 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Played with this for about 10 days and have to say that even though I only received one and was supposed to get two, the sound was relatively good. I mean you're not gonna blow any windows with this and I cannot attest to the stereophonic ability it puts out good sound. The only negative I have is that it stopped working. Initially the set up took seconds and the bluetooth connected immediately then it just stopped and despite my best efforts it will not reconnect. I'm not sure if it's an iPhone thing or JAM Plus but needless to say it stopped. I'm not sure if I could completely recommend it based on that

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good acoustically, but HDMX doesn't tell you how re-pair to other devices, November 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like this speaker! It is part of an exploding category of bluetooth speakers that are a really great innovation. Here are my pros and cons:

PROS
- Designed with acoustics in mind (a thin rectangular bar is not ideal for good music reproduction)
- Loud and sounds very good at medium levels
- Good looking (ok, maybe not this yellow color!) and high quality feel
- Line-in jack overrides bluetooth while still using amplification (standard in most)
- Mini-USB charging jack (standard in most)
- Play/pause button (standard in most)
- Good battery life (4 hours claimed, I've used on-and-off for a few months without charging)
- Ability to wirelessly connect with a second to give stereo sound (very cool, but didn't try)
- Nice packaging that can be reused to other purposes

CONS
- Poor shape for transporting in bag or pocket
- Power button on button difficult to use
- No forward or back buttons
- No simple-to-understand battery level indicator
- Instructions don't include anything about switching the pairing to a different device. I can't even figure out how to do it. I try holding the power button for a long time, but it stays paired to my main phone and doesn't go into pairing mode. I even tried pushing the Reset button on the bottom (not even mentioned in the instructions), but that didn't help. The website didn't shed any new information on it for me either. Then I read other Amazon reviews and found this:

HOW TO RE-PAIR TO OTHER DEVICES (thanks to J.W.'s review)
How down the Play/Pause button and + volume button together for five seconds while the power is on and the bluetooth light starts to blink in blue, which is pairing mode. Then pair to your device! Thanks, J.W.

I really like this speaker, I just wish that HDMX hadn't made the big mistake of omitting these instructions and not even doing anything on the website to help us poor owners.

JAM Plus Portable Speaker (Grey) HX-P240GY