4.0 out of 5 stars True story of Pocahontas
I really enjoyed this book and it has inspired me to do more research on the early days of Virginia. I liked the alternating tales of the eleven year old Pocahontas, and the woeful John Smith, who was somewhat of an egomaniac if one is to believe the author, who took the story from Smith's own diaries.

It, of course, dispells all the romantic fantasies of...
Published on September 16, 2004 by Marsha Lytle

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult Read
I do not recommend this for 12 yr old. Hard to read, to say the least. Written from John Smith's point of view. This book tells the story as if John Smith were talking in the 1600's, which makes it very hard to relate to and to understand.
Published on October 5, 2011 by C. Woods

4.0 out of 5 stars True story of Pocahontas, September 16, 2004
Marsha Lytle (Olathe, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocahontas (Hardcover)

It, of course, dispells all the romantic fantasies of Pocahontas saving Smith's life. In fact, she married John Rolfe, not Smith.

For all his complaining about being mistreated for his lack of family connections, John Smith probably was the hero he portrays himself to be. Otherwise it seems Jamestown would have failed miserably.

Some of the most interesting details involve the infighting, which at times turns deadly, the treason, selfishness, and other human faults and frailties revealed in Smith's accounts.

Readers will also enjoy the story of the eleven year old Pocahontas, and the "royal" lifestyle she enjoys as her father's favorite daughter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, May 15, 2007
E. Young (Vermont, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocahontas (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, particularly the way it gives you both Pocohontas' and Smith's point of view, and I thought it was really fair and insightful about both sides. The only thing about the Smith chapters I didn't like was that, in the beginning, they went off on so many tangents it was confusing. While that may have been true to character, it made it harder to read. Last, I wish the book were longer! I would have liked to read on about what happened to Pocahontas after Smith left.

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult Read, October 5, 2011
C. Woods (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocahontas, November 28, 2013
This review is from: Pocahontas (Paperback)
I saw this book and decided to get it for my granddaughter and when it came I was very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE CLASS ROOM FAVORITE, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Pocahontas (Paperback)
Son said nice book, he had to read this book for a class project, he said after falling asleep several times, it was a nice book.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5th Graders Review, December 12, 2009
This review is from: Pocahontas (Paperback)
I REALLY LIKED THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT GOES BACK IN TIME WHEN THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED. I FOR ONE LIKED THE PART WHERE POCAHONTAS HAS TO HELP HER BROTHER PRACTICE FOR HUNTING BY THROWING FRISBEES UP IN THE AIR AND HIM TRYING TO SHOOT THEM WITH HIS ARROWS. I ALSO LIKED THE PART WHERE THE CHIEF (POCAHONTAS' DAD) AND SOME OF HIS MEN GO TO TRY TO MAKE PEACE WITH THE COATMEN. MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN POCAHONTAS GOES WITH HER DAD TO SEE THE COATMEN AND TRY TO TALK WITH THEM. I ALSO LIKED THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT IS LIKE HISTORY IN A FUN KIND OF WAY. IT TALKS ABOUT WHEN INDIANS AND WHITE MEN ARE TRYING TO MAKE PEACE AND HOW JOHN SMITH AND HIS COATMEN FOUND LAND. I REALLY THINK THAT ALMOST EVERY ONE WILL LIKE THIS BOOK BECAUSE YOU ARE LEARNING HISTORY IN A FUN WAY. AND I RECOMENDED THIS BOOK FOR EVERYONE BECAUSE IT GOES BACK IN TIME AND HOW THINGS RELLY WORKED A LONG TIME AGO AND BECAUSE OF HOW FUN THIS BOOK IS TO READ. I AM IN THE 5TH GRADE AND I LIKE THIS BOOK A LOT!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pocahontas - An OK Book, February 17, 2010
Steven Age 11 (Austin, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocahontas (Paperback)
Earth to people - Pocahontas isn't a bad book, but it also isn't an exciting book. If you like the movie Avatar you might like it. It was pretty much the same. It was also really short, so I recommend it for people that are going to read for a week or something. Pocahontas would be a good summer book though. :O)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocahontas a review by Jocelyn, December 30, 2003
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Pocahontas (Hardcover)
Do you like early ages? Then you should read this book called Pocahontas by Flora Warren Seymour because it will encourage you to read books about Native Americans and early ages. The protagonist, Pocahontas, is a little girl whose nick name is "Playful Girl" and she's always curious about things beyond her village.
A favorite part of mine was when John and Pocahontas first become friends. When they let two bald eagles go free in the soaring wind full of colorful breezes, I almost felt as if I was there. I also liked the scene when they fall in love while they were running through the woods with a pack of fawns.

Finally, my last favorite scene was when Pocahontas saves John, the pale face warrior, from being killed by her father, Po-Hawton. She saved him by running up to her father a saying "I'm a Princess and Princesses get what they want, and I want him!" He was about to get killed because John's whole crew and his bigger boss invaded the Indians.
I really encourage you to read the book Pocahontas because it will help you learn about how the Native Americans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointment, August 9, 2003
"royaldiaryfan2000" (Aston, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocahontas (Hardcover)
I had high expectations for this book as the legend of Pocahontas if one of my favorites of all the stories America has to offer. However, as soon as I bought this book my hopes feel. The story part of the book is at only a meager 150 pages. And the story is cut in half. One chapter is written from Pocahontas' point of view. The next chapter is from John Smith's point of view. Then back to Pocahontas, then John Smith, etc. To be honest I could care less what John Smith had to say, and I almost had the mind to read just the chapters from Pocahontas' point of view. I did end up reading John Smith chapters, which proved to be boring compared to Pocahontas' chapters. The book was not a complete catastrophe. The Pocahontas chapters were very interesting and kept me captivated. And the short Powhatan legends told at the beginnings of the Pocahontas chapters were enjoyable, as was the glossary of Powhatan terms, numbers, phrases, and names. But I think John Smith's view was a waste. The book would have been much better written from Pocahontas' view only. I would not recommend this book, and if you do wish to buy it, I would get it from the library or wait until it comes out in paperback. I have the mind to return this book. And also, I found John Smith's chapters confusing. John uses many words that are all 17th century words, whcih forces you to flip to the glossary of English words constantly. And not only that but John constantly goes from talking in the first person to the third person! And I found it almost laughable that the author bashes the stereotypes of Native Americans and Pocahontas in the back saying for example that Pocahontas is often patheticly depicted as a Plains Indian in paintings, pictures, and in the statue that stands in Jamestown today when what graces the cover of the book but a picture of Pocahontas dressed as a Plains Indian! A dissapointing story. I would recommend that you buy another Native American book coming out within a few days or weeks, the newest Royal Diary called Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets. Not only is it longer, but also not as expensive as Pocahontas. And I have heard that it is very good. Perhaps I will exchange this book for Weetamoo...

Pocahontas
Pocahontas by Joseph Bruchac (Paperback - October 1, 2005)
$6.99 $6.29