5.0 out of 5 stars The guide you should have
Published on June 18, 2000 by Roy W. Latham

2.0 out of 5 stars This was somewhat disappointing
I found it a little hard to follow. and I disagreed with the write ups about some of the trees and shrubs. Some of the ones highlighted are terribly invasive and bad for Hawaii and I don't think that was considered in some cases, particularly with the Albezia trees.
But that's just my opinion....oh, that's what you asked for....my opinion.
Published 14 months ago by DJM

5.0 out of 5 stars The guide you should have, June 18, 2000
Roy W. Latham (Fremont, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs (Paperback)
A truly superb guidebook; it is the one you should have to make sense of the profusion of exotic flora on the Islands. Other books show small selections of the trees and shrubs, with the result that the particular one in front of you is often omitted. Pratt has solved the problem for us; his book is comprehensive, beautiful, and easy to use. If you are planning a trip to the Islands, I recommend getting this book ahead of time. There is so much worth appreciating, it is time well spent getting oriented ahead of time. This guide is sure to become a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat pocket guide, August 13, 2001
This review is from: A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs (Paperback)
This is just what the title promises: a pocket guide. As such it is high class, printed on glossy paper and profusely illustrated with high quality color pictures taken in the field. It takes the reader through the several vegetation zones of Hawai'i and presents the noteworthy plants, category by category. I can well imagine that this booklet will give visitors to Hawai'i much pleasure.
I am not so sure about this "reading beforehand" the other reviewer mentions: this will be a pretty brief read. Also too concise to serve as a field guide, with pictures that are awfully small. It really is a pocket guide only, but as such it is a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little guide, April 14, 2014
This review is from: A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs (Paperback)
You'll see this guide and Trees of Hawaii by Kepler in the visitor's centers in the parks in Hawaii. We picked up both of these at a Barnes and Noble on the mainland before coming to the islands. We have used them on all four main islands (Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the big island) during the course of four or five visits and found them both helpful.

If you're a nature buff or plant person one reason to learn about Hawaiian plants is that about 90% of the species are endemic to the islands and found nowhere else. It is estimated that only once in every 10,000 years was a species able to arrive and establish itself.

This book's strong points are:

1. Nice glossy paper so the photos look good

2. Organized by ecological zones which I like

3. Covers poisonous & toxic species

4. Shows invasive as well as native species

5. Good brief descriptions including how the trees were used

As for weaknesses, there really weren't any for me except that the photos are somewhat small as others here have noted. Still, I don't mean this as a real criticism since after all it is meant to be a pocket guide.

If you want bigger photos I would recommend taking a brief respite from your Hawaiian vacation and go to the local public library and check out the native plant books section. Chances are they will have at least a few volumes on trees and shrubs, a few on flowers, as well as books on horticulture and gardening in Hawaii. The librarian can probably point you right to it which is what we did at the public library in Wailuku on Maui. They had several larger format books and I spent a couple of hours pouring over them.

If you're in Honolulu the big public library there should have even more, as well as the University of Hawaii library. We didn't get a chance to check those out but Maui has a small branch campus of UH with a decent library if you're interested.

There are also a few websites devoted to Hawaiian trees and ecology although not as many as I would have liked.

But getting back to the present volume, overall a fine little pocket guide packed with lots of useful info.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting guide to trees and shrubs in Hawaii, January 7, 2012
This review is from: A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs (Paperback)
We picked up this book full price at one of the National Parks on Maui. It really helped us look up several plants we encountered on Hawaii, Maui and Kauai. The pictures are rather small, and further research is needed to determine edibility of these plants, but this book provides a good starting point and Latin names. It is arranged by environmental areas, a good system on an island that goes from coastal to tropical forest to alpine areas on a mountainside with altitude.

Recommended. Small size makes it easy to carry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent guide to the trees and shrubs of Hawaii., July 3, 2013
This review is from: A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs (Paperback)
It's a small book, but packed with information and pictures. Identifies poison plants for those who hike or get into the country areas and tells which parts are dangerous. Beautiful pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a guide for gosh sakes!, February 23, 2013
This review is from: A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs (Paperback)
Being of an "older generation" my only negative comment is that I would have liked to have seen the color plates larger in this handy little field guide. I'm sure the publisher had a hand in layout, but for many small plates, one needs a magnifier to pull out leaf patterns that are helpful in identifying similar patterns on different shrubs. The ¼ page plates were perfect for this “pocket” reference book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A poket guide, April 18, 2013
This review is from: A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs (Paperback)
I am a nature guide in Hawaii. My boss recommended this book to me to study. This has many pictures and easy to learn. Thanks.

2.0 out of 5 stars This was somewhat disappointing, May 7, 2013
This review is from: A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs (Paperback)
But that's just my opinion....oh, that's what you asked for....my opinion.

A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs
A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Trees and Shrubs by H. Douglas Pratt (Paperback - Mar. 1999)
$9.95 $9.45