on April 2, 2014
About the reviewer: happily married, happy father of 4 and growing, I work and my wife stays at home

I was embarrassed that I actually bought this book. Not only is it an insulting commentary on the human race, but it highlights the terrible gender problems our society (U.S) faces. The book runs you through simple tasks that you should undertake as a father, like helping with the household while your partner may be in need, preparing for the first few weeks, the first year, picking doctors and day-care, and college savings plans. So much of the content is only relevant because of other problems the US faces right now. For one thing, if a man doesn't care enough about his partner (IMO should be "wife") to help her when she's feeling rotten he should seriously reconsider having children with her. When it comes to having kids, there is no real prep except for just doing it. You learn as you go. You can read as much as you want, but you will never understand until you become a parent.

Now, having said that, I appreciate the chapter on why fathers matter because they do. My father was fatherless and I've learned an enormous amount from his successes and mistakes. I guess my biggest beef about this book is the fact that it panders to a society that has completely forgotten the value of the nuclear family. That irks me. It doesn't take a lot of contemplation to imagine what our world will be like in 30-50 years when the nuclear family is almost extinct, in my mind it'll be a strange and hostile place. The nuclear family is what made this country great over the past 200 years. Another chapter that I think is very useful is the one on preparing for tough times (death, disability, and grieving). I think every parent should

One note of caution: even if you are interested in pre-paid college plans, please don't do it. They are a rip off. You're much more likely to invest better elsewhere. Not to mention the fact that you're locked in to a specific college/university.

I guess this book might be useful for people who never had a stable home or a solid father figure. So, because I did, I feel like most of this book is a review of simple principles that should be inherent in each man and woman. The reason this book might be necessary for some is because there are so many men who don't really act like men. But, that's another problem and won't be addressed here.

So, this is mostly opinion-based and that's why I rated it so low. But I think it could be useful for some to whom the material is more germane. I guess I thought I was getting something a little more up my alley, but that just means I should have dug a little deeper before I purchased it.
on January 21, 2009
New grand children coming a yearly now...great book for new dads since the children don't come with directions, and dads are more reluctant to pitch in for fear that they don't know anything!
on January 31, 2007
This is an easy to read book with a guys insight. I really like that the author includes gay men as fathers.