Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Pocket Oxford Greek Dictionary : Greek-English English-Greek
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 10, 1999
This dictionary is fantastic. The little things are what matter in selecting a translation dictionary: the pages are white and the text is black (making it very easy to read); Each word is not only defined but put into sentences that are also translated. It has 65,000 words, more than most of the other dictionaries, it is paperback and its size lends to easy usage.
I recommend this dictionary over the others available. You won't be disappointed.
on March 12, 2004
I bought this dictionary last year to replace a Collins version now some 20 years old. Although a little large for the actual pocket, it is certainly small and light enough to take with you while traveling. An advantage of the medium size is that the type is not minuscule and you need not squint. After almost one year I have encountered only a handful of words not in the dictionary (mostly technical terms). The translations seem to be accurate, with the commonest synonyms listed first, the spellings are modern, demotic Greek (not katharevousa like my old Collins), the gender of nouns is given, and there is a useful 9-page table of tenses of common verbs at the back (present, aorist active, aorist passive, past particple), which is enough for me not to have to carry around a verbs book as well. I have found no inconsistencies so far in cross-checking the English-Greek against the Greek-English translations. Definitely recommended.
on November 27, 2005
I love this dictionary! It is small enough to fit in my purse, and I find myself referring to it all the time. It includes verb declension charts in the back and next to the Greek words lists other common phrases you might be searching for (which is very very useful)! The Greek student will probably eventually want to get a second larger dictionary for keeping at home because this does not have everything in it. However it does contain enough that I have made it through two years of university level Greek courses and am starting on my third with this as my only dictionary. A wonderful asset for anyone learning the Greek language!
on January 9, 2007
I have been taking modern Greek classes for a year and a half and using on this dictionary to supplement my textbooks. [Note to Word Bird and others: this is not a Greek phrase book for tourists.] I have found it useful and relatively comprehensive, and most of my complaints are minor.

I find the print size a little too small for my middle-aged eyes. Also, the size and particular font used are not the clearest for distinguishing certain letters. E.g., the tails on the sigmas are very short, so they often look like omicrons.

I rely on it mostly for writing, both compositions for class and letters to Greek relatives, so I more often am using the English-to-Greek section. It sometimes is difficult to find Greek translations of English-language idioms. Also, as to be expected, the dictionary is stronger on providing translations of idioms used by British speakers than it is with respect to American idioms.

Finally and most importantly, according to my native Greek professor who reads my writing, some of the Greek vocabulary provided by the dictionary, in both single words and idioms, is out-of-date and/or relatively stuff in its formality. Perhaps the out-of-date words are inevitable leftovers from previous editions. And perhaps the stuffiness comes from it being compiled by a British academic, though this speculation might merely be a product of my American prejudices. In any case, until a younger scholar produces a new Greek-English, English-Greek volume, or until I read something really good about any of the other volumes, this will have to do.
on July 29, 2005
To entitle this dictionary "Greek-English English-Greek" is quite misleading, insofar as the English to Greek part at the end of the book is only about 60 pages long, versus 355 pages for the Greek to English part. Don't buy this dictionary if you need help in translating from English to Greek, it is quite useless. The Greek to English part, however, is satisfactory.
55 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2014
With 67,000 words and phrases, this is more comprehensive than some other Greek-English texts. It is modern Koine, post 1830, as opposed to the more ancient form of Hellenistic Koine. There is a pronounciation guide at the front of the book. I wish there had been a section on common phrases, but there isn't.

I have the hard cover edition which is rather large and isn't very pocketable. But it is more sturdy. Print is on the small size but not too small. There are 570 pages. The English-Greek is twice the size of the Greek to English section.

It's a pretty good source for most common Greek in use today.
on July 6, 2007
This dictionary is great! My boyfriend is from Greece and sometimes communication can be challenging. I'm a new student of Greek, and this has been an excellent resource. This dictionary has excellent word coverage. Everything I've searched for has been in the dictionary. Highly recommended!
on June 30, 2012
It is good for bginners .Personally,I would have preferred a more detailed dictionary,one that lists not only the basic words,but also their declensions and conjugations.I think that at a later stage in my study of the Greek language,I will have to have a more detailed version,in order to cope. I would like to add that when I bought this dictionary I had hardly a clue about modern Greek.Now I know what I need.
on March 2, 2016
Not what I expected. I thought I was getting a tourist phrase book. This is not that. The title "pocket" is misleading. The dictionary is in paperback but is large and heavy. I had expected a dictionary that I could put in my pocket. I would avoid putting it in my suitcase.
The format is English- Greek, but there are no phonetic entries. You have to know how to pronounce the Greek alphabet.
on December 28, 2009
There are not a lot of choices on the market for Modern Greek dictionaries. This is hands-down the best small-size dictionary you can buy. However, it certainly will not fit into any of my pockets, the format is really too large to be called a pocket dictionary.