Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

86%
14%
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$39.95+ $4.99 shipping

VINE VOICEon January 2, 2004
Since it was first published in 1934 the Pocket Pal has been THE reference for the printing trade. Whether you were an artist, designer, advertiser, student, buyer, or an actual printer, this book usually had the practical and up-to-date information that you needed.
You have the entire history of printing here, from letterpress to lithography, gravure, screen printing, and flexography. Two new sections have been included on electronic pre-press systems and quality control.
The major sections included are: history, the printing processes, type and typographic imaging, copy preparation, art preparation, graphic arts photography, film assembly and imposition, electronic pre-press systems, platemaking, printing, quality control, binding, paper, printing inks, graphic art terms, and International Paper printing papers (the Pal has always been published by International Paper.)
Whether you are interested in the history of printing, looking up a specialised term like "quoin" or "em", proofreader's marks, or color separations, then this book is for you. Just starting out in the printing trade? - impress your boss by actually learning the fundamentals of the art. This really is as close as you get to a printer's bible.
0Comment25 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2012
I have been a Print Production Supervisor, Production Manager, Q.C. Manager and Print Buyer for over 35 years. I hope to teach College-level Graphic Arts Lithography Production very soon. I attribute much of my skill not only to my years of experience, but also to products like International Paper's 20th Edition Pocket Pal. Since the Twelfth Edition, The Pocket Pal has been a very important part of my career. Information contained in its pages, have always helped me to cross the "t"s and dot the "I"s. Print Production is a very high powered and competitive Industry and since 1980, Pocket Pal has helped me "level the playing field". This 20th Edition is the best yet, not only for printing history and Production basics, but also for keeping up with most of today's updated technology. You will always find one on my desk and I hope they continue the good work.
on March 3, 2011
Had a Pocket Pal when I was in college, and since I've started doing exhibit design, I bought the latest edition . . . costs a bit more but, It's like having the Internet in your pocket when it comes to graphics reference in the shop . . . No batteries required!
on March 8, 2011
Classic in the printing industry. Must have the latest edition, given the rapid changes in the industry. Was delivered quickly without problems. A++
on April 24, 2014
Even though you can find a lot of this information online, I keep it as a great reference and it has been on my desk since college.
on October 1, 2014
Just as described.
on November 29, 2010
The Pocket Pal was purchased as a training tool for our shop.

I messed up the delivery address, causing the USPS to send the book back.

Thanks to the efforts of Rachel at Hyatt's All Thing Creative, the book was re-sent and arrived last week.

Great follow-up and service from this Seller. I recommend them highly.